• Veganism feels right/works best for me

340 55.83%
  • All of the above

156 25.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

Default Re: Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

Vegan for the animals above everything else.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

• The animals of course!
    • The environment...
    • Health...
    • Stop me feeling guilty. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Really?
    Picky picky. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Really? If I were to be completely honest with myself I'd probably say that a raw, locally produced fruitarian diet (or as close to as possible whilst remaining healthy) was the only ethical choice. As vegans we're still killing plants, wasting energy on cooking processes (that in most cases removes nutrients) and transporting food round the globe, wasting both fuels and packing materials. Sure, veganism is certainly way more ethical than a non vegan diet in the other direction, but where as some people call veganism the extreme and vegetarianism the more easily obtainable ethical choice, i think i'd view it one step further over.
    Well, I think its awesome you want to go one step further; I've considered doing local, raw diet many times... Although not really possible for most people. I think its the most ethical choice within reason. And theres not really any difference for the animals if you eat locally and raw r not. Lets just hope one day its possible to do local raw foodism.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I'm vegan because I am living the change I wish to see in the world. I'd like to live in a world that respects animals as individual sentient beings instead of using them as a means to our own ends. That means abolishing animal exploitation, and I've started by looking at "the man in the mirror". Change starts with one's self, n'est pas?
    Visit: abolitionistapproach.com, peaceopie.com, bostonvegan.org, and vegandocumentary.com

only one reason for me: i think it's primitive to abuse other beings just to make your own life easier/tastier

I'm a vegan for the animals, as well as the environment!!
    "Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they are in the game."-Paul Rodriguez

I'm vegan for the animals, I believe they have a right to life just like us

Sloth

I am vegan out of a respect for all other creatures. I tend to think that, although life itself, to me, is more a privilege than a right, once alive, any and every creature, ranging from the beautifully simple, right through to the incredibly complex, has the right to a peaceful, unhindered life. The concept of humans engineering some bizarre subservience in which other creatures are forced to live, just to satisfy a grossly over-indulgent lifestyle, makes me feel physically ill. Of course, with or without the element of over-indulgence, the fact remains that there is NEVER any excuse for enslaving, killing or torturing anything living.

EcoTribalVegan

For the animals. Because there is no reason to cause them pain unnecessarily it makes it sadistic to use them otherwise.

1. For the animals
    2. For my health
    3. For the environment
    4. Personal beliefs, i.e. human physiology
    5. Works best for me

Smile Re: Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

I went to a new Dr. towards the end of my visit he asked if I would like to be off insulin and 1/2 of my meds( I was taking 17) and IT WORKED!!!!

I simply have one reason: for the animals. The good thing is that a lot of other positive aspects come along with it automatically (fight world hunger, environmental and economical issues, etc.).
    Be the change that you want to see in the world. (Mahatma Ghandi)

First and formost for the animals and also for the environment and if a vegan diet helps with world hunger that's great too.

I am one of the selfish ones, mostly I went vegan for me. I couldn't get the extra weight off I have been carrying. I read a couple books that said a vegan diet would help me lose weight. I then read "Slaughterhouse", which made me realize a vegan lifestyle would make me feel like I was doing my part for the animals and the earth.

I have lost 11 pounds and my horrible acne has disappeared (I wish my high dollar dermatologist told me that eating animal products contributes to acne, I would of done this years ago). Now that I have started working out again I have lost a couple pants sizes (I wish I would of done my measurements before going vegan). I pulled out my belt today to hold up my pants, soon I will be able to go get my not so fat clothing out of the box.
    Cows milk for baby cows, Human milk for baby humans.

Default Why did you become vegan?

For me it started out for health reasons. I was listening to the band Earth Crisis and they talked about the health benefits of the Straight Edge Vegan lifestyle. Then I started reading about how animals were being horribly mistreated and tortured...I stopped hunting and realized animals have feelings and rights too. Now compassion keeps me from ever straying again from being straight edge vegan.

Whats your story?
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 21st, 2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    I am the Devil, and I'm here to do the Devils work.

Default Re: Why did you become Vegan?

I originally became vegan as a way to lose weight. And it worked.

However, the more I read about veganism, the more it became insanely obvious that I'd not only made the right choice for health reasons, but also for other reasons such as animal rights, the environment and world hunger.

I am now vegan for all of the above reasons and also because I just believe it's the right thing to do.

even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Thank you , I love reading stories like this.

phact0rri

actually I just liked the sound of the word vegan so much, I figured if I went vegan I'd have the chance to say vegan at least nine times a day.

Not real name!

I went vegan because chicks love guys that love animals.

For the benefit of the fun police the above comment is a joke.

I went vegan as a result of finding information about the milk industry online - I was already pescetarian (and getting ready to phase into vegetarian), so I decided to just transition into vegan immediately. I haven't looked back since ;}
    "Neptunus, you've finally gone mental." ~ Stu

Quote phact0rri View Post
    actually I just liked the sound of the word vegan so much, I figured if I went vegan I'd have the chance to say vegan at least nine times a day.

I'm similar to you, Panzer and Roxy. It started out for health reasons, and then as I learned more about the food industry and its practices, I realized veganism fell right into line with my goal to lead a compassionate life.

Glen, that's actually true though. Chicks DO love guys who love animals! Men like that are extra special.

I turned partly vegetarian for health reasons and was reducing my meat consumption more and more until I became fully vegetarian 7 weeks ago. I already knew about the cruelty in the dairy-industry and after meeting a vegan from Argentina on holiday I decided to try vegan foods, quickly I made the choice to go vegan almost 4 weeks ago now and didn't look back since, it feels great!

phact0rri

Quote Slowly I Awake View Post
    Glen, that's actually true though. Chicks DO love guys who love animals! Men like that are extra special.
    I think this only applies to girls that like animals, and AR people in general. Granted I've never met at an Omni that could convince me they were an animal lover.

Default Re: Why did you become vegan?

Quote Panzer View Post
    For me it started out for health reasons. I was listening to the band Earth Crisis and they talked about the health benefits of the Straight Edge Vegan lifestyle. Then I started reading about how animals were being horribly mistreated and tortured...I stopped hunting and realized animals have feelings and rights too. Now compassion keeps me from ever straying again from being straight edge vegan.

Whats your story?
    Snap! Earth Crisis made me curious about veganism as well. Karl is pretty articulate in his lyrics about the horrors of the whole animal industry, and although I'm sure I would have become vegan anyway they definitely provided me with some guidance all those years ago. I actually got an earth crisis tattoo not long after to commemorate the huge impact they made on my life. I even like 'Slither'!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Default Re: Why did you become vegan?

I have the cross wrenches tattoo , and slither is my favorite E.C. cd lol.

Mainly for my health and for the animals. But theres other reasons too.

My main reason is for the animals- I cant stand the thought of them suffering. Then second is the environment.

Because it's sexy.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I would definitely say the animals are the primary reason. All of the others (very good, very valid reasons) are just positive byproducts of this choice for me.

Leah

I've been vegetarian for 40 years and vegan for a couple. It always seemed to me to be the only possible way for me to live my life. It is the only moral and ethical way for me to live. I sometimes think that it would be so much easier to live in this world if my conscience would let me exist with blinders on. Just can't do it!

all of the above
    Lisa @ http://www.facebook.com/earthsista

For the animals, for me, and for the environment.

"One thing we know:
    Our God is the same.
    This earth is precious to Him...
    This we know:
    Man belongs to the earth.
    The earth does not belong to man:
    Man belongs to the earth.
    This we know:
    All things are connected
    Like the blood which unites one family.
    All things are connected.
    Whatever befalls the earth
    Befalls the sons of the earth.
    Man did not weave the web of life.
    He is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web,
    He does to himself.
    "I care not much for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the better for it." Abraham Lincoln

I do care very much about the animals and the environment. But I've become vegan mostly for my health. I was living a very unhealthy lifestyle and I needed a serious change. This is the first time that I have felt in control of my eating and my body.

LuVegan15

Vegan for the animals first, then the environment, and then everything else follows after.

Strictly ethics for me. Don't care much for the health, politics, whatever else.. Even though I probably should.

No. 1: ethics re. animals. I am on board with protecting the environment also, but that's not what I think of as one of my reasons for being vegan.

glovesforfoxes

Ethics. Justice. & environmental concerns.

The animals. I don't want something to suffer so it can be my dinner/clothing/accessories/etc. That just doesn't make sense.

Everything else is a bonus.

Vegan because of THE ANIMALS. No other reason. Even if plant-based protein is not as good as meat protein (most likely not true, just propaganda), I still will be vegan for the rest of my life.
    All about the animals, Lucia

leedsveg

This is not to anybody in particular but if veganism is all about compassion (for animals both human and non-human) then all the 7 reasons noted are probably valid. If we're 'fighting an information battle' to convert omnis to veganism, why on earth should we restrict ourselves to using only 1 or 2 'weapons' from our 'armoury'?

(Sorry for the military terminology but I was brought up in the Salvation Army where such metaphors were used!)

lv

I notice that non-vegan people are open to a vegan diet when they learn of all the "health benefits" they would get from such a diet. I have a book called "Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating". I am sure lots of you have either heard of the book or have read it. Anyway, Erik Marcus, the author, I believe was brilliant in using the first half of the book to show all of the health benefits of eating a complete vegan diet, and than in the next half of the book he wallops the reader with the gory details of how food animals suffer horrendously to put food on the plate. This was my very first animal rights book and I think I chose a good one. I recommend it highly. I was already vegan when I read the book, but boy did I enjoy it (well not the second part, but you know what I mean).

Mainly for the animals. but also for my health now.
    "Shall we get a pig for the shop? Do we need one?!"

Hi Leedsveg:

Yes, all seven reasons apply to one becoming vegan, but I would venture to guess that most complete vegans are ethical vegans because they give up so much, not only in what they eat and do not eat, what they wear and do not wear, where they go and do not go for entertainment, what they use and do not use as far as personal and household products that test on animals or use animal products, how they rescue abused animals, if they are able to, on a moments notice, how they report animal abuse when they witness such abuse, who they listen to or not listen to on talk radio programs, and so much more. I was happy to find 2 people, one of which is on this forum, who feels that in 50 years, people will stop eating meat. I won't be around to see it, but there are times when I feel so fustrated and think that it will never happen because this world is all about money. For instance, why does each state have to have a zoo, and not only one zoo but many zoos in that one state. Zoos claim they are good for the animals because it educates people about animals that most people would never see in person. But these animals are taken from their natural environment, or they are raised for zoos. Most of the animals are living in a climate that is the complete opposite of the climate that they need and were originally from. It makes me sad to think that so many children are brought to zoos all over the world and enjoy seeing animals in a cage and not caring that they will be in that cage for the rest of their lives. I was taken to a zoo as a child too and did not give a thought about the animals' suffering. As an adult, I never went to a zoo again. Zoos are money making operations, and the suffering animals are making the money for people. Yet, people made a big thing over Michael Vick, the football quarterback that was caught running a dog fighting pit right at his home, and killing the dogs in such horrendous ways. Whether or not Michael Vick has been shown the way about animals, or if he just is faking it, what bothers me is that those very same people who thought that Vick was a monster, don't give a care about all the other LEGAL animal abuse activities that are going on, like rodeos, bull fighting, traveling petting zoos, horse drawn carriages in big cities, etc. I feel so sad when I go out in public and look at thousands of people caring about people, but not giving a rats ass about the suffering animals. Please don't get me wrong and think that I am being self-serving. I am just giving the reasons why I think that most vegans are ethical vegans.

On a lighter note, the below link is something to feel good about. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNTd...1&feature=fvwp

for the animals + for my health

it's a win-win!

leedsveg

Hi VeganLu

For the writer Joanne Stepaniak, veganism is much more than being nice to animals (and not using them for food or clothing).

As she says in 'Being Vegan'(pages 5+6)

'.... being vegan entail simply what a person does or doesn't eat - it comprises who a person is'

'People who are vegan attempt to imbue every aspect of their lives with an ethic of compassion.' [
    my emphasis]

'In the final analysis, despite our diversity, there is only one type of vegan - a person who is committed to and practises reverence and respect for all life.
    [my emphasis]

'Because vegan principles honor all living beings, our fellow humans must be equally respected and embraced, even though sometimes this can be one of the most difficult aspects of vegan practice.' [my emphasis]

I agree with what she says.

lv

Hi Leedsveg:

I agree with Joanne also about "our fellow humans must be equally respected and embraced", but as she says, it is very hard sometimes to practice that respect. It gives us vegans a good image to tolerate most humans even though inside lots of them make me feel real bad. I like people for many reasons not relating to animals too, and human animals are capable of such goodness, yet they are also capable of such evil. Humans are so complex, it is amazing. But I love animals more, and, I love ethical vegans, so I do love lots of humans.

Another reason why I think the largest group of complete vegans are ethical vegans is - why else would anybody give up eating pizza for the rest of their lives? Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.
    Last edited by VeganLu; Jan 18th, 2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Vegan World Tr

Animals deserve to live.