Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why a subforum called "wheat free"? Is wheat bad for you?

Herbsman

Default Re: Why "wheat free"? Is wheat bad for you?

This might be of interest: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/food/200...of_living.html

Ever felt bloated after eating a sandwich? Know anyone who has stopped eating wheat? Wonder why you can tolerate bread from a French country bakery but not the 'French' baguettes sold in UK supermarkets?

As I wrote in yesterday's G2, something's happened to British bread: increasing numbers of people avoid it altogether and per capita consumption is in long-term decline. Curiously, the baking industry denies any problem, preferring to scrap over market share rather than examine why its product gives some people a pain in the gut despite being dressed up in a hundred fortified 'healthy eating' and 'better for you' guises.

Read more...

My digestion seems improved since Father Christmas brought me a bread machine - I suppose that could be because of something in commercial bread. Must admit I use a rapid programme that that writer probably wouldn't approve of, though!

supermarket bread is definitely not good. i think it's because nothing beats a homemade meal. i wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the stuff they put to preserve the bread longer (trans fats ?). for me it doesn't change much though, i can't eat more than a thin slice of a baguette or i know what my intestines will tell me. if i want some bread, and being french how could i not ? lol, i have to buy some that is gluten free.

There are gluten free recipes for my bread machine but I haven't tried them yet. I usually use half spelt and half wheat - not sure if that makes any difference to digestibility but I like the taste.

To me, it sounds like you have an intolerance, regardless of the test results. A lot of times test results end up negative when they should not be for a variety of reasons. If your white blood cell count is high, that means that you are experiencing an immune reaction. I'd definitely avoid wheat as much as possible, its not really worth the stomach trouble! And hopefully being french and gluten free won't be too hard.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

that's what i think myself, but it also means the social security doesn't refund me something on the gluten free products, and they're more expensive than the wheat based stuff i'd just like a clear diagnosis instead of that middle situation.
    the french eat less bread than a century ago, but it's still a symbol of our country. everyday we go to the bakery to get a fresh baguette, and we eat it at every meal. i suppose it's good i like the gluten free bread.

harpy : spelt is supposedly an ancient version of wheat, used by the Romans. i do think it makes a difference in terms of taste, but i can't digest it either. i personally like to let the machine make the dough, and then i use mom's oven to bake the bread, it tastes better that way and you can also make several little breads instead of a big one.

So are there different tests you can have to establish whether you have coeliac disease or a gluten or wheat intolerance, Aurore, or is it a question of repeating the tests you have already had with a different doctor?

BTW I seem to remember from another thread that it's not a good idea to cut out wheat/gluten if you're planning to have (further) tests as if you go gluten-free the tests may produce a false negative. That's an unpleasant dilemma

Hmm, if I get rid of the wheat in my diet, though I have none of these symptoms, do you think it'll help me somehow? Does a wheat-free diet seem to aid those whom have no intelligible symptoms?
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

Quote harpy View Post
    So are there different tests you can have to establish whether you have coeliac disease or a gluten or wheat intolerance, Aurore, or is it a question of repeating the tests you have already had with a different doctor?

BTW I seem to remember from another thread that it's not a good idea to cut out wheat/gluten if you're planning to have (further) tests as if you go gluten-free the tests may produce a false negative. That's an unpleasant dilemma
    well, there are the blood tests (you search for the specific white cells + calcium and iron levels) and the biopsies through an endoscope (they check from your stomach until the beginning of the small intestine as well as the large intestine).

when i first got told it was a gluten allergy, i first searched what gluten was(lol) and then tried to eliminate gluten from my diet, i thought it was the logical response. i can thank my endocrinologist for making me panick. but a gluten free diet is hard so i can tell i've still more or less eaten gluten in whatever form available, but i think it may also have rendered the diagnosis more difficult. stress can't explain everything, not when the symptoms haven't changed for months, although the intensity have varied. i also read on a UK website if you cut out gluten from your diet you must reintroduce it and wait at least six weeks before any test. i did that.

i'm waiting for a few months, and if it's the same, i'll go for it again, general doc, gastroenterologist, blood tests, biopsies. i just want a clear diagnosis, something else than a pat on the head, it's just stress => it will pass.

i'm living a dilemna here, but the only way i'm gonna have that clear diagnosis is if i still eat gluten. i buy myself gluten free stuff once in a while as i know i can eat it without any symptom, but i also try to eat wheat based stuff. although i said goodbye to spelt and barley, i really can't digest them.

Quote Mila View Post
    Hmm, if I get rid of the wheat in my diet, though I have none of these symptoms, do you think it'll help me somehow? Does a wheat-free diet seem to aid those whom have no intelligible symptoms?
    the problem is the coeliac disease doesn't have any specific symptom, they're pretty common. abdominal pain, diarrhea... so if you have no reason to cut out gluten from your diet, don't. let's say you have the disease and you choose a gluten free diet before any diagnosis, it will only make it more difficult, and if you don't, you place a heavy weight on your shoulders, because a gluten free diet is complicated and hard to follow.

is it normal that whenever i eat wheat i get bloated, constipated, my face looks larger, im really tired and spacey, and i get nervous/sad? i really want to cut out wheat for good.

Quote samariah View Post
    is it normal that whenever i eat wheat i get bloated, constipated, my face looks larger, im really tired and spacey, and i get nervous/sad?
    Er, no, I don't think that's normal, Samariah! Are you sure it's wheat that's causing the problems? Have you tried cutting it out before?

Quote samariah View Post
    is it normal that whenever i eat wheat i get bloated, constipated, my face looks larger, im really tired and spacey, and i get nervous/sad? i really want to cut out wheat for good.
    The first part sounds like IBS.

Don't know about the other symptoms.

Its worth getting it checked out.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

well looking back at wheat free (and often grain free) periods in my life, i always felt A LOT better. flat stomach, no contipation, clear head, good mood, non bloated face, lose a few pounds, etc. so, ive been conciously cutting down on it for the past few days and i already feel different/better. soo i think its the wheat.

i think it is especially the white wheat that is causing the problems. i also avoid it as far as possible and feel a lot better with that.
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Jingyd

Quote angelamc View Post
    I just found out I am allergic to wheat so I'm cutting it out of my diet. I thought I had chronic sinusitis and IBS but it turns out wheat is the real culprit!! I doubt I'll be able to abstain entirely, though, because I LOVE vegan cookies and other wheat sweets.
    Angelamc, I have chronic sinusitis and IBS, I have been told I am allergic to wheat. Can you offer me any advice? did you have a CT scan to show you had sinusitis? I have recently and been told its allergy related.

Default Re: Why a subforum called "wheat free"? Is wheat bad for you?

my children have been recently taken off of dairy and gluten. There are many options and many great gluten free recipes. In fact I made them gluten free brownies last night from Trader Joes and it was awesome! The hard part is school, and treats and eating at others homes. I am trying to prepare ourselves for those times by packing a sack of gluten free options when they are at places where those options do not exist. It's a very wheaty world out there ;-)

Metal Maniac

Thanxs for this thread..it opens my eyes ALOT!!!!

I recently put my children on a gluten free diet as I have been doing studies in regards to naturally helping ADHD. I have taken them off all dairy, gluten, and artificial colors, and sugar. Not easy when you're a kid. They are doing really well with it though and my youngest who used to be Mr Picky is trying new veggies and even beans! He used to be only mac & cheese... and cereal type of guy. We are in Illinois and there is a store called Woodmans here and they carry a huge supply of vegan and gluten free products. It's wonderful! They sell frozen cookie dough, ice cream bars, anything you can imagine. I am finding this to be a wonderful alternative to putting my children on a legal narcotic.

Quote bugaboo View Post
    I heard that wheat and dairy can be very harmful. Many autistic children benefit from wheat and dairy free diets. Sadly, autism is on the rise, in America at least, but most don't take time out to research the diet. Of course gluten-free diets are becoming more apparent (as I see gluten-free menu items in restaurants). But what about dairy? Nobody sees the hormones in dairy as being harmful, but i feel that many conditions are exemplified by the cheeses and milk products. Why does everyone blame wheat, but no one sees the dairy as the problem as well? Very Perplexing!
    They certainly can be harmful if you have an allergy or intolerance! (I most likely have an allergy or intolerance to dairy, though not wheat.) A month or two before becoming vegan I took myself off dairy, and noticed a big improvement in the sinusitis I was experiencing (I usually get sinus infection that lasts a month each year, not correctly diagnosed until this year).

I wouldn't say "many" autistic children though. The numbers are rouhgly comparable to the general population (gastrointestinal complaints are among the most common, which can lead to the diagnosing of these specific conditions), nor would I say autism is on the rise (studies on diagnostic substitution indicate that many people diagnosed with speech/language impairment or childhood schizophrenia would be diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome or PDD-NOS).

As for me, I am diagnosed with autism and feel good eating wheat (not like a craving or a high either), and while I feel much better not eating dairy, there hasn't been any demonstrable change in my autistic characteristics. In fact, considering that the diet changes coincided with me moving out on my own at college, it actually coincided with a dramatic loss of self-help skills (such as forgetting that when riding the bus you have to pull the cord to get the stop and I tried to walk off the bus when it was moving), though I hardly attribute that to the dairy-free diet - just that moving out is one of those times when you are expected to gain a lot of new skills and apply a lot of skills without much guidance at all, and these are conditions that are perfect for autistic "regressions" - conditions that frequently occur at ages 3, teenagerdom, and 18.