Thread: Rescue Remedy

Default Rescue Remedy

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows if Rescue Remedy and the other Bach Flower Remedies are vegan? I have read that they are in a base of brandy and I have done some research but can't find the vegan-ness of brandy or other spirits like it. Rescue Remedy has been recommended to me and I am wanting to make sure it is 'safe' before I give it a go - I am quite nervous about it even though it says on the website that there are NO negative side-effects. Apparently it either works well or not at all. My therapist recommended it to me saying that one of her other clients found it more beneficial than beta-blockers (I don't and won't take anything chemical and that messes with my brain!) which is pretty impressive.

Thanks.

Default Re: Rescue Remedy

Why don't you try emailing, calling or writing to them? A vegan friend of mine used to use it, but that may be no guarantee, things do change. I found Rescue Remedy of little help, but I know that others swear by it.

I think there's probably more people in the world who get comfort from a hip flask of brandy than an overpriced 5ml bottle with herbs in, but you never know.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I don't really think that finding comfort in alcohol is a very positive thing. I do think that trying to find a natural alternative to medicine to help in times of need is positive!!!

If you find it to be vegan, I'd reccomend a rescue remedy type of thing. I found a different brand of a similar nature to work better for me, a few drops into a bottle of water and sipped, it helped calm and centre me. Not right away, but after a little while I would stop and think 'I feel much more in control now'... I think it was called Australian Flower Essences, and there are different mixes for different issues. I'm not sure that they are vegan though as I had them pre-vegan, but I imagine it's the same sort of thing to RR.

Quote VanillaBean View Post
    I don't really think that finding comfort in alcohol is a very positive thing. I do think that trying to find a natural alternative to medicine to help in times of need is positive!!!
    I've used it myself and Mr.Flibble isn't far off, alot of the calming affect comes from the fact that you're ingesting very strong alcohol. It could even be that the alcohol is the only reason it works but that would need to be tested.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hi Vanilla Bean,

Rescue remedy is brilliant and very effective. I haven't had the need for any flower essences since I turned vegan, but when I received my last bailey newsletter I saw that you could buy an alcohol free version. Unfortunately it's a saline solution so probably a bit less palatable, but nevertheless still an option.

I'd call Bailey Flower Essences (who now produce Bach remedies, and they're ever so slightly cheaper) and ask them if the alcohol is vegan. If it's not, I'd see if you would be able to obtain the saline solution and I'd recommend putting that in a sip of water if you find that it's too salty on it's own.

Flibble and Risker- there are a few physicists that would disagree with your perspective! If you look into vibrational medicine and physics you would find an explanation, or if you'd like me to elaborate, I'm happy to do so sometime....

I just dug out my bottle, here's what it says;

Ingredients: 5X solution of flower extracts of Rock Rose, Impatiens, Clematis, Star of Bethlehem, Cherry Plum in a grape alcohol solution. Free from artificial additives and suitable for vegans.

Quote mooli magic View Post
    Flibble and Risker- there are a few physicists that would disagree with your perspective! If you look into vibrational medicine and physics you would find an explanation, or if you'd like me to elaborate, I'm happy to do so sometime....
    I'm not saying that the flower essences certainly do nothing, just that as it is in a strong alcohol solution it's hard to differentiate as the alcohol would be calming in itself.

Really? In such a small amount?

I'm not a drinker but so I'd have to take your word for it..4 drops of whisky doesn't sound a lot though. You didn't...drink the whole bottle did you?

LOL, it's tempting to, I've got the spray type bottle though and I can't get the lid off!

I did drink nearly an entire bottle on an internal flight in the US where the plane was clearly faulty, it didn't work, I was still shi**ing myself.

How awful

Thanks for checking the bottle though. How come I didn't think of that? Problem solved!

i find that the rescue remedy is making me feel a lot more in control, when i'm stressed. it's really good.

Seaside

You're not supposed to take Bach Flower Remedies straight from the bottles they are sold in. You're supposed to buy the empty mixer bottle sold alongside, and make a dilution of several drops per ounce of distilled water, so the alcohol shouldn't be having quite such an effect. I have taken Rescue Remedy straight under extreme emotional distress, though, but as I am one of those people who doesn't feel anything when I drink alcohol, I doubt its the brandy.
    My biggest success in using Bach Flowers was with my fighting cats, for which I used Holly, and it worked amazingly and unexpectedly well. I was dubious, but desperate, and adding four drops of Holly to their water bowl really did work, to the point that they were all willing to eat their dinners side by side on the same counter without fighting. So that sold me on their effectiveness, regardless of what actually has the effect. And I stopped years ago, without ever having them start fighting again, so its not the sort of thing you need to use forever, either.

I'm not sure what you mean seaside, I know you can buy the flower extracts seperately and mix them yourself but rescue remedy is meant to be taken straight from the bottle.

My mum takes hers straight from the bottle, and she finds it very useful in any stressful situations

What does it do, exactly? I know that it helps with stress but how? How does it make you feel better? Is it immediate?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

It's not for stress per se, it's to relax you, for if you're nervous.

It's pretty immediate yeah, maybe a few minutes.

Interesting. I want to try it but I'm put off by it's high price (it's high for me and my income level maybe not for you or others).

Yeah, it's expensive. You could make your own, I looked it up once, it involves doing something like leaving flower petals to soak in water in the sun for 6 hours or so. I'm sure someone else has a better idea of how to do it.

Wow, it is great to hear some really positive things about the stuff - gives me some more confidence in it too!!! Thanks for the advice also. I will look into the Bailey Flower Essences as well because I do prefer the sound of the saline to alcohol. (I agree that such a small amount of alcohol cannot affect anyone!) I haven't heard of Bailey's and I am not sure if they are available in Australia so I will have to find out.

Thank you!!!

Seaside

Quote Risker View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean seaside, I know you can buy the flower extracts seperately and mix them yourself but rescue remedy is meant to be taken straight from the bottle.
    My bottle says to "Take four drops in a glass of water. Can also be taken straight from the bottle". I've read five or six books on them, including the ones written by the man who discovered them, (Bach himself), and they all say to dilute them in water, and where they stock them in the stores here they sell Bach empty mixing bottles alongside the stock solutions. Rescue Remedy is just one of the dozens of combinations that can be made, that they decided to sell as a mixture because it was good for more traumatic emotional situations, but its still recommended to dilute it, and only suggested to take straight from the bottle in an emergency.

My bottle has no mention of mixing with water and says to use it directly.

Maybe the one they sell in the UK needs to be more hardcore

Hell yeah!

I just put a few drops under my tongue. mmmm yummy!
    Eve

now try the same thing with brandy

I'm not saying that all the calming effects of rescue remedy come from the fact it is brandy, but certainly when i've tried it that's all I've gotten. I actually have to say I don't care what a minority of physicists say about xxxx or yyyy, as they don'tf irst screen PhD applicants and disallow the nutters from studying (in fact I think it may be encouraged). You can find a scientist somewhere that will say whatever you want, particularly if you pay them to help you flog something.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I have a book about making your own bachs flower solutions. it doesn't have the recipe for the rescue remedy, though,.

I see what you're saying Fibs, I too didn't feel any positive effect from the Rescue Remedy, even though I tried it often, but I'm sure I felt an effect with the different brand/version. I think it can help to go by people's reccommendations but when it comes down to it, you have to try it yourself and see if it works for you or not. Shame it costs money to try though!

Quote Jamie View Post
    I see what you're saying Fibs,
    Lol - are you trying to wind him up? I see he has a new comment under his name.

I'm not sure I really felt much of an effect either Jamie, tho my mum says she couldn't cope without it. What's the different brand/version?

I just bought some of this for my boyfriend, he works a really high-stress job, (he's a baker that owns his own business) and he works insanely long hours like (16-19hr days sometimes, not to mention 7 days a week) and i thought this might help relieve some of his tension/anxiety, we'll see how it goes?

Quote Cherry View Post
    Lol - are you trying to wind him up? I see he has a new comment under his name.

I'm not sure I really felt much of an effect either Jamie, tho my mum says she couldn't cope without it. What's the different brand/version?
    No, I would never try to wind up Fibsy, it's just that he seems to be on threads correcting me so often that I feel I know him well enough to save time writing out his entire name Seriously though it saves requoting the whole message.

Different brand - I think it was called Australian Bush (?) Flower Essences, something like that, and they have a few different types of 'rescue' blends for different things - calmness, confidence, etc... I got it in boots. It was about a year ago though and pre-vegan, so I can't say for sure that they are going to be ok! I can't really see why not although it might not list 'for vegans' like the Bach ones do.

I didn't mean the abbreviation - I meant the missing L But yeh, as you say, I guess you're entitled

Ah, thanks. I'll look out for that and see if it's vegan. May be a good Christmas pressie for my mum. I expect she'll need it for all the Christmas stresses

well he's yet to correct me on THAT account

Quote claireyveg View Post
    I just bought some of this for my boyfriend, he works a really high-stress job, (he's a baker that owns his own business) and he works insanely long hours like (16-19hr days sometimes, not to mention 7 days a week) and i thought this might help relieve some of his tension/anxiety, we'll see how it goes?
    Rescue remedy is a short term solution for when you feel anxious about things like job interviews, exams etc. I can't see it being any use to your boyfriend myself.

Quote Risker View Post
    Rescue remedy is a short term solution for when you feel anxious about things like job interviews, exams etc. I can't see it being any use to your boyfriend myself.
    I might not have made myself clear enough, i don't mean for him to use everyday type of thing, i just mean on days when he is very stressed or anxious as something to take the edge off, i have used it myself in this type of situation and it was a lifesaver, so i just meant i hope he get's the same kind of reaction as me.

Good sperm

I use it for pre-teaching nerves and I have to say it really helps. Maybe it varies from person to person, maybe it's a placebo affect I'm not sure.

sometimes it works for me if i'm really stressed out. i don't know if it is just the alcohol, but i often use it at work and it's a lot more acceptable to be seen taking Rescue Remedy than swigging out of a hip flask
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Sorry LOL - but I am having a vision of Gorilla sitting at her desk, swigging out of a flask

Seriously though - I'd get fired if I did that!

Haha, me too.

Yogini

Here's anxiety for you. Facing a failing grade in a required course and NOT BEING ABLE TO GET THE LID OFF YOUR RESCUE REMEDY BOTTLE!

Good sperm

AAAAARGH!!