Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is a vegan diet ecologically sustainable?

boatsteem1

Default Re: Is a vegan diet ecologically sustainable?

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    If land is left idle and not grazed it tend to return naturally to forestry on its own without human intervention. The exeptions are in arid zones but even these can be re-forested with the right intervention.
    http://www.treeaid.org.uk/
    for example
    In Sweden reforestation of meadows and pastures is considered a bad thing. It is concensus in this country that we should preserve the cultural heritage of our grazing culture. They (the government) even give money for people who want to keep grazing animals.

I call it crazy!

At the same time we have almost no old growth forests left. All trees in this country are logged before they are 100 years old, whereas a normal life span of a pine or spruce tree would be up to 800 years, supporting a number of endangered species in its various stages.

Even if you grow your own crops and eat nothing else, you're bound to squash a bug accidentally, (or if you're like me- terrorize the gophers who eat your plants, therefore displacing them). Everyone has to draw the line somewhere no matter what they eat. This thread reminds me of the "Can we go too far?" thread. I understand that some people have completely legitimate questions about veganism and sustainability, but some of my omnivore hippie-commune (no offense) aquaintences like to push this topic to the point of exhaustion- probably because they don't like feeling guilty about eating meat. I say they stop recycling their bath water and go vegan instead. Then everybody wins!

treaclemine

Has anyone mentioned Tolhurst Organic Produce? Certified vegan-organic:
    http://www.england-in-particular.org...-case1-23.html

and the farmer, Iain 'Tolly' Tolhurst is up for the BBC Radio 4 Food and Farming Awards this year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre.../25/food.shtml

puca

Quote Risker View Post
    I'm sitting next to an avocado tree as I type this, there are 3 in this house. Of course they are in a heated house right now (They are outside 70% of the year) , however there are gardens in the UK growing all sorts of tropical fruit and veg without any artificial heat/lighting etc. It's entirely possible, just cheaper to import.
    Buying food kept in heated houses still boosts your carbon footprint up a lot.

I was talking to somebody from the London 21 project and he said that even if you do eat foods which accumulate air miles, a vegan diet is still by far the lowest impact diet you can have.

Think about it... For starters the amount of food livestock eat, how much more fuel is used to produce a cow's lifetime rather than just producing enough for one person's plate.

Don't get me wrong, the most sustainable way you can live is buy being vegan and eating locally produced season goods (http://www.eattheseasons.co.uk/), but you need to vary your diet too and if that means buying something which needs to be imported from another country, then why not?

If you can, buy Fairtrade or organic goods because they have to adhere to environmental standards.