Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tower Hill Stables

Talking Tower Hill Stables

Some people will already be aware of this little gem of a place, some may not. Its run by Fiona Oakes when she isn't a firewoman and all. How she still finds the time to train for her marathons ( came 60 something in 2004 London marathon and was interviewed on BBC ) beats me. Theres many great animal stories here to read, some happy, some sad. Did I mention Fiona is also VEGAN.

www.towerhillstables.com and www.myspace.com/towerhillstables

wuggy

Fiona is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    She is so busy, yet still found time to reply when I e-mailed her once.
    I am planning to donate money to her sanctuary instead of my husband buying me a present this Christmas.

Kevster

Hmmm, yes i'm thinking about giving them a few quid instead of the toss organisations i've been supporting, errrm but i'll need to get a job and move house first,

Default Fiona Oakes wins Vegan Achievement Award

Just to let you know that Fiona who runs Tower Hill Stables Animal Sanctuary has just been awarded the Diamond Jubilee Vegan Achievement Award 2004 from the Vegan Society.

This is in recognition of her athletic achievements, her Fire-Fighting achievements, her work to help rescued animals in Russia and also of course the 250 rescued animals she looks after on her own at her Sanctuary in Essex.

Fiona's work is detailed on her website @ www.towerhillstables.com

Yaksongs

PinkFluffyCloud

[QUOTE=PinkFluffyCloud]Yay!!!
    I think she is amaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!!!!

what a fantastic site and wonderful woman.
    brentwood isnt far from me!

On 17th Oct 2004 Fiona entered the Tiptree Ten Miler, ( is that a local event ) coming 1st and will be entering the Florence marathon at the end of November.

Vegan power.

Yes the Tiptree 10 mile is a local (ish) road race - Fiona has also won the Brentwood half marathon THREE YEARS running - you would have thought the Media would be interested in a VEGAN performing like this wouldn't you - but apparantly not !

Fiona also has an elite entry for London next year as well as the Florence Marathon to contend with in 2 weeks.

How she deals with all the animals - 21 horses to muck out on her own, (+ the rest) and fit in 80 miles a week on the road I can't even begin to comprehend...

Fiona is indeed a remarkable woman. now if only i could find out what keeps her going!!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Food Glorious Food !

If you are feeling generous and flush you could call Gladwells Feed Merchants, the main feed delivery who have provided a service whereby you can call them & make a credit card or switch payment to the value of your choice which they will place as a credit on the Sanctury feed account without suffering the high commissions .

SEE HERE.

Smile

Thanks for that link. I can honestly say I had never heard of this place, but after looking at the website I am now in the process of writing a cheque. What a wonderful woman, and she doesn't live that far away from me in sunny old Essex!

Aurora

Default Percy

Its also possible to set up a standing order online, see HERE , to sponsor an individual animal or all the animals if you can't choose.

Theres an open day on Dec 5th from Noon for members. Percy is looking forward to showing you how big he has grown and will be conducting a guided tour of his Pig Arc during the afternoon.

im glad they have an open day - im sorry that its on the same day as the christmas london vegan fair

this morning i asked my mum not to buy me pressies that may not be suitable for needed, but to give me a chq for tower hill with whatever amount she would normally be spending on pressies for me. i am going to ask my in-laws (whose pressie are disasterously worse- so lucky escape there) to do the same. i can then send them the cheques to make winter a little easier hopefully.

PinkFluffyCloud

Good idea, Cedar, we are doing the same in our household, it will, at least, ease the old conscience a little over Christmas.

Hi all, re the Liverpool Vegan Festival - just to let you know that Tower Hill Stables Supporter Billy will be running a stall selling Dog treats & biscuits in aid of Tower Hill Stables - If you can make this festival, please look out for her stall !!

Thanks

And ask her how Malcolm is.

...and Malcolm's new friend !

I see I've been introduced already! The Liverpool Festie was nice, didn't quite sell out, but almost, got quite a few peeps interested and taking a leaflet away, hope it will result in more donations!

For all those (2) interested: Malcolm's ever so well, as is our new juvenile dlinquent Kiera. Malcolm thinks she's way to young and wild, but if she can be quiet and behave herself, she's allowed to share 'his' sofa (thank god I've got a chair left, otherwise I'd be sat on the floor most of the time!). I did invite her onto 'our' (mine and Malcolm's) bed as well, but that, judging by the look in his eyes, went waaaay too far! So now it's a case of 'Kiera allowed on the bed if Malcolm isn't there' - which is basically never!

Anyway, you'll all have me sussed by now, give me one second and I natter for England about ''my'' dogs. I know their not mine anymore than ''my'' friends'' for instance, but writing a whole pc sentence every time I refer to them is a bit tiring. But rest assured I do not regard them to be possessions! (pheewwww, got that out of the way! )

See ya,
    Billy
    please grant me the senility to forget about people I never liked anyway

Default Fiona comes 5th in Florence Marathon

Just to let you know that Fiona came 5th in the Florence Marathon in 2 hrs 50mins. She was seeded 28th & had to wait 45 mins in the cold before the 25 elite female athletes were individually introduced to the crowd to take their places at the start of the field.

Fiona beat 21 of them !! & her foot was bleeding at 10K due to a burst blister !!

What's more there was no medical attention at the end of the race for her & a further quarter of a mile to walk before water was available - nice...

What she has to do before someone takes her seriously I just don't know

Default Tower Hill Stables Open Day

The Open Day on Sunday was a great success - 8 members together with their guests (26 in all) attended & over £1000 was raised to help towards the feed costs of the 250 rescued animals.

Everyone had a great day with some supporters coming from well over 100 miles away !

Fantastic Vegan catering was provided free to the sanctuary by Brentwood Happy Hamsters Catering - Andi & Rob. Even the weather was good !! more details on website

Well I think Fiona is wonder woman anyway. If she takes part next year, surely she has to be in the elite line up. Wasn't she in the elite line up for the London marathon after all ?

I'm glad the open day went well Thanks for the update Yaksongs.

PinkFluffyCloud

Fiona is definitely Wonder Woman!
    As it's always been my dream to open a sanctuary, I e-mailed her once, and she replied with a lovely mail very quickly. I was so impressed, after all she can't have a minute to herself!
    She is my heroine!!!

Default Christmas Turkeys

Fiona has just rescued 5 more Turkeys - to see them visit her site & click on the Christmas Rescue button down the left hand side of the screen.

These birds were in the "hospital" wing of the Turkey farm, being considered too poorly for human consumption. They try & get these ones "well enough" for Easter.

www.towerhillstables.com

PinkFluffyCloud

Huh, I was chatting to someone today, as a parting remark they said "well, enjoy your Turkey" - ugghh, they turn my stomach.
    Fancy putting birds in a 'hospital wing' until they are 'well enough to eat', for God's sake.
    Happy Christmas to you and Fiona, Yaksongs!

Default Super Fiona.......and Yaksongs to.

Christmas turkeys - vegan style

Sunday, 26 December, 2004 news.bbc.co.uk

Getting into the Christmas spirit for most people means frantic shopping trips or escaping to somewhere warm.
    For Fiona Oakes Christmas means staying at her home in Asheldham, Essex, caring for her 264 animals, in particular, 38 turkeys rescued from a breeding unit.

"They were sick turkeys who were not well enough to be slaughtered for Christmas dinners," she said.

"They are all now in a stable together on a new bed of straw and lots of food and clean water to drink."

Fiona said it normally took the rescued birds a while to settle down and realise that they are safe.

Saving sick turkeys is just another day in the life of Fiona Oakes, who also finds time to work as a retained fire fighter.

Fiona, 35, has been taking in injured and unwanted animals from just about anywhere over the last 11 years at Tower Hill Stables in Essex.

"I love animals," she said. "My objectives are to give every animal in my care, love and the best possible quality of life I can, and when the time comes, dignity in death."

On top of the 38 turkeys her stable now houses 26 pigs, 21 horses, 50 cats, 10 dogs, and dozens of rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, and hampsters - all of which live in relative peace side-by-side.

"I take them when they're at the end of their life - when people don't want them any more," she said.

While her day mainly revolves around the feeding and care of her animals, Fiona also finds time for her other passion - running.

Last month she took fifth place in the Florence Marathon, beating 21 professional athletes.

'Outstanding Vegan'

Fiona also runs to promote veganism, which she has practised for 20 years.

"When I win at local races, people are truly shocked. They don't expect someone who is vegan to do well.

"They think that you're weak and must be pale and unhealthy looking because you're not getting any meat protein."

Her efforts led the Vegan Society recently to award her the Outstanding Vegan Achievement award.

"That was a big honour from them for everything I've done," she said.

Running the animal sanctuary on her own, keeping active in the vegan community and running international marathons makes for tiring living - but Fiona has no qualms.

"I have not had a holiday in eight years. But I know what I'm doing is right. This is what I've always wanted to do, " she said.

"I'm not interested in living my life in small doses. You're not here for very long on this planet, so it's about helping others.

"I don't really care if the price I have to pay is that I'm tired most of the time."

Default More Rescues

Just to let you know that Fiona took 2 more ponies last week & 2 more dogs yesterday ! That makes 23 horses now & 12 Dogs...

The dogs are both 14 & their owner was moving to a flat that wouldn't allow her to keep them, she had tried all the usual organisations to take them, but at their age (in spite of being healthy & perfectly mobile) the only advice she got was to have them put to sleep - nice ! They had to travel all the way from Staffs.

The ponies - described on the phone as 2 fillies - turned out to be a stallion & a heavily pregnant mare !! - ideal Hopefully the stallion will be cut later this week (ouch )

PinkFluffyCloud

Poor stallion - you cruel Vegan gits!

PinkFluffyCloud

Erm, I *was* joking, by the way, I used to work with Horses, they were my one true passion, I KNOW about Stallions!

I've just set up my standing order. Every little helps.

im sure i will be interested in buying some ilfromaggio, will ge back to you soon. one question - the lord of the rings directors cut - is that just the fellowship film or does it cover all films?

Default London Marathon

All being well, Fiona will be competing in the womens elite race at this years race. She will be targeting a top 20 position which will be an incredible achievement considering her workload with the animals. Hopefully it will be an opportunity to promote veganism to a wide audience. Grandstand have indicated that they want Fiona on their Saturday program on the day before the race !

Clearly Fiona will be running to try & raise funds for the animals here & in Moscow & if anyone would be kind enough to sponsor her or collect sponsors on her behalf please contact her from the towerhill website. I have also knocked up a poster (a4) which if anyone has anywhere to display it to try & raise awareness I will be happy to mail you a soft copy. Mail me a private message if you would like one.

Cheers,

By the way - Ilfromaggio has raised over £1000 from selling his DVD's - there are sill loads left so mail him if you want any !!

Martin

PinkFluffyCloud

Yay! for Fiona, and for Ilfrommagio, too! I'll have a poster, Yak.

Quote Yaksongs
    All being well, Fiona will be competing in the womens elite race at this years race. She will be targeting a top 20 position which will be an incredible achievement considering her workload with the animals. Hopefully it will be an opportunity to promote veganism to a wide audience. Grandstand have indicated that they want Fiona on their Saturday program on the day before the race !
    Top 20, wow. That really would be an achievement and a half. I'll be tuning into to grandstand on the 16th April, and the marathon on the 17th for sure.

I sent Fiona a wee email, as it was she who inspired me into starting running. Fiona sent back a lovely reply, saying how proud she is to wear her vegan runners vest. Go marathon girl.

Yaksongs, how is Fiona's training going for the London marathon ? And can people sponsor her ?

I've read something about Fiona challenging Delia Smith and the entire Norwich City Football Team to a race to prove who has more life. Whats all that about ?

Default mini meet up

If anyone just happens to be in London on April 17th, IlFromaggio and myself may well be meeting up to support Fiona in the London marathon, and then go for a bite to eat and a drop to drink afterwards, if you would care to join us. If so pm either of us.

Hi,

Yes Fiona would very much welcome sponsorship for her efforts in the London Marathon. Her training is in full swing at about 80 miles a week on top of all the animal work - completely ridiculous amount of effort.

She has about half a dozen sponsors so far.

Our biggest concern is injury or illness between now & the race, ao many car drivers seem to take pleasure in driving at her or gesticulating wildly that she should be on the other side of the road - some people are so ignorant when it comes to this. Some car driver actually turned round the other day to drive back & scream at her for not running on the pavement. How she is supposed to run on a pot holed pavement with overhanging trees at 10 mph+ God only knows.

Fiona can be mailed on fiona@towerhillstables.com with regard to sponsorship.

The Norwich Football thing was an idea suggested to Fiona by a chap who is helping with publicity - it isn't Fiona's idea ! - They have asked Fiona to race a marathon against the football team with them running as a relay - about 2/3 miles each - urmm & they're all blokes. Not sure personally if it's a good idea - mind you they would ALL have to run 6 minute miles to beat her which is tough - next time you get on a treadmill, set it to 16 kph & see how long you can stay there ! - personally I could do 200 meters. 26 miles at this pace is ludicrous

See you - Yaksongs

PS - I see there is a music thread on the forum - the album you clearly should be listening to is of course "Dark Side of the Duck" by Yak - 22 copies sold worldwide ! & nearly £300 raised for the animals at the Sanctuary ! details at www.yaksongs.com

Click HERE to read the Red(large Cockerel) and Yaksongs knee episode. Dated 3rd March.

Default SPONSOR FIONA OAKES - Tower Hill Stables

Yesterday Fiona Oakes, of Tower Hill Stables Animal Sanctuary, won the Brentwood Half Marathon for the 4th year in a row. Not bad, but even more impressive if you add two cracked ribs she ended up with 10 days ago. She wasn't even supposed to run! Mad woman she is!

On the 17th of April, Fiona will be running the London Marathon and sponsors are more than welcome, to raise much needed funds for the sanctuary. Please visit www.towerhillstables.com for the latest info and a sponsor form. For starters, new fencing is needed and with the amount of land and animals she's looking after that's a big and costly job! So don't go to the pub for one night (or do and take your sponsorship form!) and send a few pints of sponsorship money to Tower Hill Stables. All contributions much appreciated!

Default Brentwood Half Marathon 2005

Fiona won the Brentwood Half Marathon for the 4th year in a row yesterday in 1 hour 19 minutes.

This is positive proof that being a Vegan is not prohibitive to performing at endurance sports.

Injury & Illness permitting, Fiona is now focusing on London April 17th. If you haven't already, please consider sponsoring her for this race - 100% to the rescued animals at the Sanctuary.

Fiona starts with the "elite" ladies and their "race" sets off half an hour ahead of the main race, the cameras (& commentators) have nothing else to focus on during this time - what a great opportunity to advertise the cause

No excuses, an on-line form for those who would like to sponsor Fiona for the London Marathon on 17th April has been created. See HERE.

You've persuaded me gert. I have trouble running 26 yards, so anyone who runs 26 miles has my admiration.

New arrival to the sanctuary Bunty the pony, is now proud Mum to Kosmatushka, or Kosma for short, see here.

Default Re: Tower Hill Stables - Sponsor Fiona in the London marathon

Quote *M*
    You've persuaded me gert. I have trouble running 26 yards, so anyone who runs 26 miles has my admiration.
    Nice one *M*.

Theres still time to sponsor Fiona in the London marathon a week tomorrow. Check down the back of the sofa, the pockets of your jacket, I'm sure all monies will be gratefully received by one and all of the animals at the sanctuary. The online sponsor form is here.

Just done it!

Default Summer Open Day FixedSummer Open Day Fixed

12th April, www.towerhillstables.com

This Summers members open day will be on Sunday 12th June from Noon. If you are a member or supporter of the Sanctuary you should have received an e mail about this in the last few days. I did however get quite a few 'bounces'! If you did not get the mail, please let me know as it could be that your message was one of the bounces or I don't have an e e-mail address for you at all ! Thank you - Fiona
    Maybe see one or two of you there.

Theres an article on the PETA website about Fiona and her running.

Just checked the marathon website for results and it says that Fiona's time was 2:49:56, which is absolutely fantastic!!!! It didn't really say what place that gave her tho, as there are so many different categories. Oh well nevermind, WELL DONE FIONA!!!!

Quote Billy
    Just checked the marathon website for results and it says that Fiona's time was 2:49:56, which is absolutely fantastic!!!! It didn't really say what place that gave her tho, as there are so many different categories. Oh well nevermind, WELL DONE FIONA!!!!
    Aye up are Billy. A few of us went along today. Got there early to find a good position before they were all taken, waited for an hour and a half for Fiona to appear, and within seconds she had flown by.

I think she was 30th out of 7990 women(as far as I can understand the reults), which is Briiiiilllllllliiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnntttttt!

Default Re: Tower Hill Stables

yay!!! nice one Fiona!!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'