Thread: Pancetta Substitute?

Leaf-let

Default Pancetta Substitute?

Before deciding to go vegan, I used to make this recipe all the time: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._17692,00.html

I can easily use vegetable stock instead of chicken, but does anyone have any recommendations for replacing the pancetta? I could just leave it out, but I loved the texture and flavor it added. A leafy veg, perhaps? Kale? Ideas are welcome.

Seaside

Default Re: Pancetta Substitute?

Wow, my Mom used to make that all the time when I was growing up, but never used pancetta. I guess the recipe depends on where you're from in Italy? I love it without pancetta, of course. I'm glad I never had any with it to get used to. I suppose you could add a few drops of liquid smoke for flavor, but I don't know how you would replace the texture.

How about seitan or tofu, cut up into little cubes, marinated and baked in the oven? I think that might come pretty close. Where's San Gabriel? *curious* Sorry to be nosey!
    Last edited by fiamma; Nov 28th, 2006 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typos and omissions

Would the tofu or seitan hold up in soup? I kep thinking it would fall apart or be too mushy. I'll give it a try.

San Gabriel is just south of Pasadena, CA.
    If you bake the tofu for a while it will go very crispy and won't go mushy. Or if you're still in doubt put it in at the last minute. Freezing tofu is supposed to give it a "meatier" texture (use firm tofu to start with, not silken) and seitan definitely wouldn't fall apart, it's too "meaty" for that! Good luck with your recipe - let us know how you get on.

pavotrouge

Is there any chance for you to buy smoked tofu? I use that whenever I need a substitute for something bacon-y.

as i mentioned on some other thread earlier on, Fry's polony cut into little bits and fried is a perfect substitute for pancetta
    Piggy