Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Boots vegan sandwich

Default Re: Boots vegan sandwich

i have tried one of the boots vegan sandwiches!
    not the one with beetroot in but the other one...mmm it was delish!

Hemlock, you say there is a vegan wrap sold in Paddington Station.. is it in a boots? Or somewhere else? Thanks.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

I looked in boots today and was happy to find a hommus & roast veg wrap, it was a shapers one too, a nice treat for after the gym, until reading the ingredients found there was yoghurt in it. It was so far down the list that surely it could barely make a difference to the taste and otherwise it would be have been vegan!! it makes me mad if they made it vegan it would be fine for vegans, dairy intolerances, healthy eaters, dieters...!! I feel like writing a letter!!! I've never written one before.

tescos have started to do a nice homous, roast veg and coriander wrap, it cost 2.70 but its super lovely. i've been meaning to have a go at making a few at home. you could probably make a weeks worth of wraps for the price of one. they are flipping nice though

... oh and its vegan btw

Apparenty, this is not "Boots" vegan sandwich. The vegan sandwiches are generic ones that come in green packs. There are 3 common varieties now including the newly introduced Sprouting Goodness. The other varieties are Beet It and Bugsy.

It does not say anywhere on the pack that its made for Boots. Its some third party supplier who provides it to stores based on requisition.

As a matter of fact, last week I got one of these sandwiches from the Sainsbury's or M&S Simply Food (I don't remember) near the Victoria station in London. But it was not from Boots.

I guess Boots sells them more than any other store.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

i think the wording here has perhaps confused some people. as it says on the first page of this thread, the sandwiches are made by a company called Fresh Organics who are nothing to do with Boots but just use them as one of their main distributors. in most areas it seems Boots is the only shop that sells them.

it wouldn't have been M&S where you got the sandwich from Kiran because they only sell their own brand food. it was probably Sainsburys as they're Fresh Organics' other big distributor, although only in London i think.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla
    it was probably Sainsburys as they're Fresh Organics' other big distributor, although only in London i think.
    I think so too Gorilla, must have been sainsburys.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

I've seen Fresh Organics products in Planet Organic as well. As for Paddington Station, you can get a vegan wrap from EAT upstairs.

Isn't it amazing that a sandwich can generate 5 pages of comments?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

princessemma

I make my own. I had hommous, grated carrot and cucumber today. What does everyone else have?

Have a look here princessemma.

Quote Jamie
    I looked in boots today and was happy to find a hommus & roast veg wrap, it was a shapers one too, a nice treat for after the gym, until reading the ingredients found there was yoghurt in it. It was so far down the list that surely it could barely make a difference to the taste and otherwise it would be have been vegan!! it makes me mad if they made it vegan it would be fine for vegans, dairy intolerances, healthy eaters, dieters...!! I feel like writing a letter!!! I've never written one before.
    you should! that is VERY annoying.

i make my own wraps at home all the time. mmm.
    also..i work at o'briens (irish sandwhich bar) & we sell tomato flavored wraps. we also have a yummy sundried tomato humous and sun blushed tomatoes.

my favorite lunchtime treat is one of the tom wraps, the humous, sunblushed tomatoes, red onion, mixed peppers, cucumber & iceberg lettuce. mmmmmmmm

Ooh there's one of those in the shopping centre in the town next to mine.
    It's good to know I could have something!

tabitha

Quote veggiewoman
    I got two varieties of the Boots vegan sandwhiches and now have tried them both, very yummy
    This really irritates me because I have quite a large Boots in the town near me and I have never seen ANYTHING resembling a vegan sandwich in it. I have asked and just got blank looks. It would be so nice just to pop in somewhere and get something when youve been disorganised and not prepared.

there is always pret a manger. do you have them? i love their vegan humous sandwhich

Quote tabitha
    This really irritates me because I have quite a large Boots in the town near me and I have never seen ANYTHING resembling a vegan sandwich in it. I have asked and just got blank looks. It would be so nice just to pop in somewhere and get something when youve been disorganised and not prepared.
    Yikes, even Sittingbourne Boots stocks vegan sarnies! Not sure they sell too many though, sometimes I buy them reduced towards end of day when I'm feeling too tired to cook.

Quote lozza
    there is always pret a manger. do you have them? i love their vegan humous sandwhich
    owned by mcdonalds
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

why does everyone keep saying that? they are not owned by mcdonalds. mcdonalds had a very small share in their company a long time ago.

pret said that mcdonalds do not own them.

McDonald's only has a 33% minority stake in Pret a Manger, so no, it doesn't own Pret.

A 33% stake not only means that they own a third but that a significant 33% of the profit from their sales help fund mcdonalds (who are a massively unAR, unHR and unEnvironmentally friendly company). You may be fine with the fact (or choose to ignore it for your convenience) that with every sale you give them you're giving money you've earnt to McD and could give to help grow and fund nicer companies, but I know many would not.

I've had one sandwich from Pret in the last 4 years, so I don't feel too bad. I'm just pointing out that technically a 33% stake does not mean owning a company completely.
    Last edited by catalina; Jul 6th, 2006 at 07:26 AM. Reason: crap spelling

Quote Mr Flibble
    owned by mcdonalds
    Haha I was going to write exactly the same!
    Short, sweet and to the point.

princessemma

Thanks flutterby I won't run out of ideas now!

disturbed

www.freshnaturallyorganic.co.uk

Available at Boots, ***** City Centre and ***** City Station.

At £2.20-£2.40, it works out as a reasonable price as part of the £2.99 meal deal.

disturbed

OK, I couldn't resist. I got the organic sandwich (£2.40), RDAorganic juice
    (1.89), and some Boots Grapes (80p) for £2.99 instead of £5.09!

The next day, I was walking through Boots, glanced at their sandwich fridge and saw a 'Sprouting Goodness' with the label 'Sandwich reduced to clear 75p'. £1.65 reduction! Of course I couldn't resist!

I've tried the 'Bugsy' - average, and the 'Sprouting Goodness' - excellent!

I LOVE the boots meal deal. Whenever I am going on a train journey, I stop in at Boots at the train station, and they allow you to have an Innocent smoothie in the meal deal (which are usually £2-ish alone), and I get one of the sandwiches, a smoothie, and a bag of fruit.

All for £2.99! Amazing!

I love those sandwiches from Boots too. I think every company should be encouraged to produce things suitable for vegans by vegans actually buying them and not boycotting them as was said earlier in the thread.
    The more demand there is for something, the more they will make.

Yeah..I agree. I'm happy to buy it cos its not made by Boots. And the company sounds really good

Yeah, I've found those sandwiches in both an independent health food shop in London, and in Sainsburys. So they're not in any way Boots specific.

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned previously in the thread - I confess I couldn't face reading through all of it).

I'm bored with them now as I've eaten them so many times. There is a Boots 5 mins from work that sells them. How about Redwood sausage and vegan mayo or something like that?
    Silent but deadly :p

I trekked round bloody Kingston for an hour trying to find a vegan sandwich.
    NOTHING.
    Nothing in Boots, nothing in Waitrose, nothing in Sainsburys.
    I ended up getting a rice salad thing in M&S and there wasn't even a fork with it because it was in the normal shopping bit, not the lunch bit.
    Why stock sandwiches in small stores and not huge stores like in Kingston?
    I'm angry!!

Not sure this is relevent, and you probably already know about it, but if you're ever in Kingston again can I recommend the excellent Riverside Vegetaria?

http://www.veggieheaven.com/guide/kingston.html

They're really good, and the menu has lots of vegan stuff marked.

PygmyGoat

Don't mean to be offensive in any way but I am struggling to work out why anyone would want to buy a Vegan sandwich???

I always take food out with me but if I do forget to, I would buy a couple of Bananas which you can get almost anywhere and are much cheaper than buying a sandwich - and not so dubious in origin.
    Last edited by flutterby; Oct 12th, 2006 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Cranks posts have been moved to http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11878

Pygmygoat, the vegan sandwich sold in Boots is gorgeous! I've started making them myself and eat them nearly every day. Before I discovered them I was limited in what sandwiches I could make, [I'm not very imaginative in that area] so it was basically lettuce, tomato and red onion. They are handy when you're looking for a lunch time snack and don't want the bother of going in somewhere to eat.
    You would think I had shares in the sandwich company the way I'm going on!

Quote Jonny Nexus View Post
    Not sure this is relevent, and you probably already know about it, but if you're ever in Kingston again can I recommend the excellent Riverside Vegetaria?

http://www.veggieheaven.com/guide/kingston.html

They're really good, and the menu has lots of vegan stuff marked.
    Thankyou, I've eaten there and its delicious!
    I was looking for a quick snack that would fill me up.
    Sandwiches are great to get when I'm in a rush to catch the bus to uni and don't have time to make lunch, but I eat them about once every 6 months as it would get pricey to do it often!

Shouldn't we be boycotting all Boots' products though if they support animal testing..? :/
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."

Quote GreenEnvy View Post
    Shouldn't we be boycotting all Boots' products though if they support animal testing..? :/
    They don't make the sandwich, they only sell it. It is made and marketer wholly by a company called Fresh Organics.

If we boycott every retailer that stocks animal tested goods then life would be very difficult, although if that's your plan then I wish you good luck.

I agree with aubergine................I think it's better to encourage retailers to stock 'vegan' goods rather than boycotting them.
    For example Boots sell the completely vegan 'Amie' natural skin care products. It clearly states they are vegan on the products, so should they be avoided too just because they are being sold in Boots?
    Wouldn't it be better to buy these products and show there is a growing market for them rather than not buying them..................all that will happen if you don't buy them is Boots will just stop selling them..........so where has that got us?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I think the point is more that Boots themselves actively perform research including animal testing; as opposed to a company that sells products researched/manufactured by other parties that they just sell (whether under their own name or not).

I vote that the thread have it's title changed.

Good sperm

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I think the point is more that Boots themselves actively perform research including animal testing; as opposed to a company that sells products researched/manufactured by other parties that they just sell (whether under their own name or not).

Ah, but the 'Boots' of the title is not possessive. If it was a sandwich made by Boots it'd be Boots' vegan sandwich. As it stands 'vegan sandwich' has become a verb. The Boots are 'vegan sandwiching', whatever that means.

I don't know how recently these sites have been updated but:-

Boots
    They state 'no animal testing of any kind is undertaken or commissioned by the Boots Company or its subsidiary businesses.' However, they do not have a FCOD [fixed cut off date], and are prepared to use ingredients that have been tested on animals by others.
    http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMP...ments/ALL/303/

Boots Plc in the McSpotlight
    The Boots Co.: 1 Thane Road West, Nottingham NG2 3AA
    Boots was subject to a boycott call due to it testing its drugs on animals. It has now sold the animal testing part of its business to BASF (known best for their video and audio tapes). Some of those involved in the Boots boycott claim that the campaign was a success but others point out that Boots are now selling products which are tested on animal by BASF and are therefore still subject to boycott.

In April 1993, Boots revealed that its heart drug, Manoplax, can lead to significantly higher mortality. Boots said that clinical trials showed that patients with severe congestive heart failure taking 100mg of Manoplax had a "significantly increased risk of death compared with those not receiving the drug". Manoplax was allegedly left on sale in the UK from September 1992 and in the USA from March 1993 until July 1993 when it was removed from sale. According to a statement from Boots, 'Withdrawal was voluntary and immediate'

Till 1994 Boots owned the Farley baby milk company (producers of Ostermilk, Ostersoy, Junior Milk) which was listed in 1991 as one of the six worst violators of the WHO Code on the marketing of baby milk substitutes. It promotes its baby milk in hospitals and to health workers in the Third World, and it gives out free samples. (For further information about the this issue, see McSpotlight on the Baby Milk Industry).

Boots is also subject to a boycott call by Friend of the Earth for its sale of tropical hardwood in its Do-It-All stores.
    http://www.mcspotlight.org/beyond/drugs.html
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I guess it's no worse than eating Marmite.

Stu

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    Ah, but the 'Boots' of the title is not possessive. If it was a sandwich made by Boots it'd be Boots' vegan sandwich. As it stands 'vegan sandwich' has become a verb. The Boots are 'vegan sandwiching', whatever that means.
    Is a possessive name strictly necessary though? You can have 'Ford Capri;' you don't often hear 'Ford's Capri.' Accordingly, I don't see any reason why you can't have the 'Boots Vegan Sandwich.' It could even have the tagline, 'The Ford Capri Of Sandwiches.'

I used to want a Ford Capri.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Compound nounalicious.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

Good sperm

Quote Stu View Post
    Is a possessive name strictly necessary though? You can have 'Ford Capri;' you don't often hear 'Ford's Capri.' Accordingly, I don't see any reason why you can't have the 'Boots Vegan Sandwich.' It could even have the tagline, 'The Ford Capri Of Sandwiches.'
    I see your point (put it away, you pervert)

You could have different editions of sandwich - L, LX or even the Ghia - a fancy triple-decker sandwich served in gold packaging.

cobweb

Quote RedWellies View Post
    I used to want a Ford Capri.

wow, so did i, RW!!. I really, really wanted a mark II but ended up with an Austin Allegro instead .

Haha! I think I did a bit better as I got to drive my dad's Renault 18TX.

I've just realised I've never bought/eaten a sandwich from Boots.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    But by that rationale shouldn't we also be boycotting Sainsbury's because the owner donates a huge amount of money to support vivisection? It's complicated.

Good idea.

cobweb

but sainsburys also give money to animal rescue shelters.............it's all very complex and there's always a level of hypocrisy involved.