Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Boots vegan sandwich

Default Re: Boots vegan sandwich

I tried Bugsy on Saturday and LOVED it

My local Boots doesn't do any other variety of vegan Fresh! sandwich apart from that...there's the fish/meat ones obviously but do they really need any more?!
    vegan and proud.

Quote cornishdreadhead View Post
    Oooh, what part do u usually visit?
    Boscastle...or Vegcurry We have friends in Boscastle, the nice chaps who run the witchcraft museum.
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    Just tried 'Nuts in May'. Cxmnz - I found it held together better than the other 'Fresh' varieties actually - still have a food free desk! That's the nicest variety by a long way in my opinion. I always think they don't taste as good as they sound - normally the bread is either soggy (with the tofu one) or too dry (with the carrot one). Just call me Goldilocks!....
    If I get the soggy Tofu sandwiches I try to re-form them and stick them in a tosterbag and toast them for 2-3 mins. They are much nicer that way.... and hot food always seems more filling to me.

Of course, this only works if you have access to a toaster, and a toaster bag, which is okay for me as I bought one into work.
    Last edited by Ms_Derious; Mar 11th, 2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: adding details

cxmnz

Are the soggy sandwiches a problem with the filling, or something else? Since whenever I've come to buy any of the Fresh sandwiches, there's always been at least one with a soggy box (is 'box' the right word?) of different varieties. Nothing much worse than wet bread when you're trying to eat a sandwich. I keep meaning to write a letter about it.

@VeganMonkey: Perhaps I'm just a really bad advert for dainty table manners, particularly when I'm at work and have been holding off lunch to make the time go faster.

The soggy sandwiches are something to do with the filling, like the chilli jam soaking into the bread. The soggy boxes is to do with the refrigeration and condensation dripping on to them and the general dampness of the refrigerated atmosphere in which they're stored. I think this is the case anyway. I'm by no means an expert on commercial sandwich production.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Someone told me about this a while ago, only managed to catch it once when i've been going in so they either don't get any or it sells very quickly!

Glad I'm not the only one who finds them soggy somtimes! Yeah, I bought one once and realised afterwards that the box with horribly wet. Still ate it though! - cxmnz, you're right, soggy bread is one of the worst things... up there with partially raw potato. Believe me cxmnz, I can't normally eat lunch at my desk without making a mess. *Pauses to pick kidney bean and hummus off keyboard* (right on cue!)
    Ms Derious - that's a good plan. Sadly we don't have a toaster at work though - too many fire alarms have gone off!

Personally, I've always found the humous in the "Bugsy" sandwiches much too thinly spread. And there seems to be a bit too much dry grated carrot. But I assume that's why it's called "Bugsy" Of course, maybe I'm-alone in that opinion.

i think quite a few other people have expressed the same view in this thread

eta: just got the joke, doh! (i hate that film).
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

cxmnz

Quote DarmokTheGreen View Post
    Personally, I've always found the humous in the "Bugsy" sandwiches much too thinly spread. And there seems to be a bit too much dry grated carrot. But I assume that's why it's called "Bugsy" Of course, maybe I'm-alone in that opinion.
    I'll second that Darmok, it's more of a carrot sandwich with a bit of hummus for lubrication.

They do have a feedback e-mail address, but I never keep the packaging around long enough to remember it, has anyone tried contacting them about some of their problems?

http://www.freshnaturallyorganic.co.uk/

i last emailed them about six months ago and never got a reply, this has happened to me more than once in the last couple of years. they don't seem to be very good at replying to feedback.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I tried the tofu and chilli jam sandwich last week, it was ok but I couldn't eat more than a few mouthfuls. The tofu wasn't really well seasoned/ had any flavour and the chilli jam was a bit thin. Which is a shame. At uni they have sold tofu and chilli jam wraps which were amazing- really well cooked tofu with a spicy jam, delish.

Prawnil

For some reason they've changed the guacamole in 'Nuts in May' into houmous, and now it tastes quite different. A mistake, I think.

Even when I bought it early in the morning I found it was going brown and looked a bit unappealing - I reckon that might be why.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Hey, anyone checked out the "foo-go" humous sandwich which can be found in the shops in rail stations? It only says "suitable for vegetarians" on it but all the ingredients appear vegan. Can anyone confirm that they *are* vegan, because I prefer them to the Boots kind (simialr ingredients, but more humous, less carrot, and some other things like tomatoes).

i wish tesco did a vegan sandwich. my b/f often calls in for a sandwich for himself and i can never have anything.

I noticed the Boots own-brand houmous & moroccan chutney sandwich this morning - looks vegan so far but will inspect the ingredients further later, after coffee and when more awake

Would be nice to see an own-brand vegan sandwich from Boots - I've always thought it was such a shame they have sandwiches that are otherwise vegan except for an insidious bit of yoghurt dressing or similar :/
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

I saw a new sandwich yesterday- I think it had roasted butternut squash in. Looked yum!

I think Fresh sell a butternut squash sandwich available in Boots? I've had it before and it was very yum! I wish Boots would sell a bigger variety of the Fresh sandwiches, most places just have the Bugsy one, and the tofu + chilli jam if you're lucky :/
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

Quote fooldramaqueen View Post
    I noticed the Boots own-brand houmous & moroccan chutney sandwich this morning - looks vegan so far but will inspect the ingredients further later, after coffee and when more awake
    I seem to recall that had honey in it.

Quote Enchantress View Post
    I seem to recall that had honey in it.
    Boo, I thought it was too good to be true As if anyone could even taste the honey - like the yoghurt, etc, in their other not-quite-vegan sandwiches....seems so gratuitous really!

Quote fooldramaqueen View Post
    I think Fresh sell a butternut squash sandwich available in Boots? I've had it before and it was very yum! I wish Boots would sell a bigger variety of the Fresh sandwiches, most places just have the Bugsy one, and the tofu + chilli jam if you're lucky :/
    Sorry yeah thats the one that I meant! It looked pretty good!

The "Bugsy" one has been very handy to me on several occasions, especially when showing new vegans that you can just grab food on the go. I've never seen any different ones in Boot's however, but I don't go in there that often.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I like 'Bugsy'. Don't often have it as like someone else, I don't like wasting money buying pre-packed sandwiches when you can make them at home for less. That said, I usually splash out at the airport when I'm off on a flight somewhere (not too often!). It's tasty in the airport lounge at 6am!

Quote ShariBlackVelvet View Post
    That said, I usually splash out at the airport when I'm off on a flight somewhere (not too often!). It's tasty in the airport lounge at 6am!
    I'm more of a beans, toast and hash browns at the airport girl!

Quote Troutina View Post
    I'm more of a beans, toast and hash browns at the airport girl!
    Which food place at the airport does beans, toast and hash browns?

I usually fly from Birmingham so the places to buy decent food in there are limited!

The annoying thing when I was there the other week and got the Bugsy was that I saw the 'meal deal' thing and thought I'd go for that - where you get a sandwich, packet of crisps and drink for something like £3.49... I completely forget that Walkers had started putting milk in their salt & vinegar crisps - as obviously I haven't had them since they added it. So at 6am in the morning (I guess I was still asleep) I thought 'I'll have salt & vinegar as I haven't had them for ages' - and bought them, only to then go through the security to the room before you board the plane, opened them then looked at the ingredients and was like 'argghhhh!!!!' and then obviously had to throw them in the bin. I was gutted that I'd forgotten. Memory like a sieve... I knew I hadn't had them for ages - but I forgot the reason why was because of them adding milk! I might write and complain to them again and tell them how I wasted my money!
    Last edited by ShariBlackVelvet; Mar 3rd, 2010 at 05:09 PM.

Utterly Nutterly is the butternut squash one. They've started just in the past couple of months, stocking it daily at our local Boots. It's yummy, but it's taken the place of the Thin Lizzie (the chili jam/tofu one) that was my favorite. :lick:

I don't know about other Boots but ours seem to have dropped the Fresh sandwiches and changed them for their newly branded own brand ones. None appear vegan.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I noticed that as well recently but again I have only tried one branch. What about WH Smith's, didn't some of their branches have the Fresh ones at one point, or am I imagining that?

Haven't (the people that make) Fresh gone bust?

Have they?

I'm fairly sure I heard/read that but can't find anything online to back that up. If http://www.freshnaturallyorganic.co.uk is their web-site, it's not working

Yes it's hard to find them with Google with a name like "Fresh". My other half said their stuff used to be in Tesco's near his office but isn't any more so you could well be right.

I'm not surprised. Their big selling point was that they were organic, and I'm sure they were mostly or all organic ingredients to begin with. Last time I bought one I noticed that the bread was something like 70% organic ingredients and there was maybe one other organic ingredient and the rest were conventional. I can't be the only person who reads ingredients, and that's a bit of a stupid step to take if that's one of your main markets, and you're not decreasing the price!

(I've also noticed Rocks cordials and M&S flour range doing the same thing recently!).
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Fatvegan is on the money I fear, definitely heard about them going bust!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.