Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Boots vegan sandwich

Thumbs up Boots vegan sandwich

Has anyone tried the Organic vegan sarnie from Boots ?? Its carrot, hummous, watercress and alfalfa sprouts.

I was very pleased to find this out in the rural east. The only down side was the small amount of sprouts but other than that very tasty.

its not in my local boots

yeah, it's sometimes available in Boots in Brighton. it's pretty good and makes a change to see something actually labelled as vegan in a shop like Boots. unfortunately they don't always have them, but if they do it makes a change to be able to buy a pre-packed sandwich once in a while. if only other shops would follow!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

The only place i've managed to find the boots vegan sandwich is on london liverpool street station, I've never seen it anywhere else.I have tried it though and it was okay, nothing special imo. Apparently they do another vegan sandwich but i've only ever seen the humous one, anyone else seen/tried the other one i beleive it's roasted vegetables and something.

Quote boomer
    I was very pleased to find this out in the rural east. The only down side was the small amount of sprouts but other than that very tasty.
    Where abouts in the 'rural east' do you live? I live in Norfolk and have yet to find it anywhere here.

Freshorganic is the company that make them, www.freshorganics.biz .They sell several different sandwichs suitable for vegans in bigger boots stores, fresh and wild, and other outlets in London. I've tried Getting A Roasting, with Roast Vegetables & Houmous, Bugsy,with Grated Carrot, Houmous, Watercress & Alfalfa Sprouts, Where's The Beef?, with Vegan Pesto, Tofu, Tomato & Rocket, Old Smokey, with Smoked Tofu, Sweet Corn Relish & Mixed Sprouts, and the Vegmatix, with Roast Vegetables & Houmous. I recommend them all. Send them a thankyou.

Get em here ( according to the website ).

Fresh & Wild - www.freshandwild.com

Camden - 49 Parkway NW1
    City - 194 Old Street EC1V
    Clapham Junction - 305-311 London Hill SW11
    Notting Hill - 208-212 Westbourn Grove W11
    Soho 69-75 Brewer Street W1
    Stoke Newington - 32-40 Church Street N16

Planet Organic - www.planetorganic.com

22 Torrington Place WC1
    42 Westborne Grove W2

Sainsburys - Selected London Stores

Tesco - Selected London Stores

Boots - Selected National Stores

If you are in Bath ever people go to the Boston Tea Party loads of vegan sarnis, rolls, wraps etc plus some vegan sit in meals and cakes, the rest of the menu is veggie.

I have had 3 vegan sarnis from them 1 wrap and 2 vegan cakes all very nice.

You will find them at 19 Kingsmead Square, BATH, BA1 2AE near the following MVC, Pizza Hut & Swartz Brothers Ahhh bliss veganism surrounded by meatism LOL
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Boots in Brighton have started selling a new vegan Fresh Organic sandwich - Can't Beet It, which is beetroot, houmous, mung bean sprouts and spinach. like the Bugsy one it doesn't have very much houmous, you can't really taste it, or it just because i'm always filling my own sandwiches with tons of the stuff?!!!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla
    Boots in Brighton have started selling a new vegan Fresh Organic sandwich - Can't Beet It, which is beetroot, houmous, mung bean sprouts and spinach. like the Bugsy one it doesn't have very much houmous, you can't really taste it, or it just because i'm always filling my own sandwiches with tons of the stuff?!!!
    Ditto what that gorilla said, just substitute Brighton for Broadmead Bristol.

Mozbee

Default Re: Boots vegan sandwich

Quote boomer
    Has anyone tried the Organic vegan sarnie from Boots ?? Its carrot, hummous, watercress and alfalfa sprouts.

Sounds a lovely sandwich - one problem they're on my boycott list!

Stu

Yeah, I've tried some of these sandwiches and they were pretty yummy.

Quote snaffler
    If you are in Bath ever people go to the Boston Tea Party loads of vegan sarnis, rolls, wraps etc plus some vegan sit in meals and cakes, the rest of the menu is veggie.

You will find them at 19 Kingsmead Square, BATH, BA1 2AE near the following MVC, Pizza Hut & Swartz Brothers Ahhh bliss veganism surrounded by meatism LOL
    Nice one Snaffster!

I'm gonna be in Bath for a day before, and a day after Glasto. It'll be nice to get something scrumptious for the long journey up the Geordieland. I'll remember your advice dude.

Quote snaffler

strange. there is a boston tea party in bristol too but i don't thin they are related because i don't think they are a chain (?). the one in bristol does have some sandwiches which are ok, but no main things, and it certainly isn't a vegetarian place, though they are catered for.. hmm..
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Quote Mozbee
    Sounds a lovely sandwich - one problem they're on my boycott list!
    If you don't mind me asking - why are Boots on your boycott list? Do they carry out animal testing?

I have tried this sandwich from the Boots store in Durham; it was alright, nothing special. A bit too much grated carrot, not enough hummous =)

Mozbee

Quote miss_laura
    If you don't mind me asking - why are Boots on your boycott list? Do they carry out animal testing?

I have tried this sandwich from the Boots store in Durham; it was alright, nothing special. A bit too much grated carrot, not enough hummous =)
    As far as I'm aware miss_laura Boots are still pay for other companies test results and therefore support testing.
    This info may be out of date however as I've been boycotting them for over 5years.

Mozbee

Quote tails4wagging
    Proctor&Gamble - Vivisectors
    Lever brothers - vivisectors
    Loreal-vivisectors
    Clairol- vivisectors
    Boots- pharmacological, therefore support vivisection.
    Most make up companies- vivisectors.
    Farm shops- hunting, shooting etc.,
    Adidas-kanagroo skins

That is some I can think of, of the top of my head.
    Here's Boot's in Tails4wagging list of companies to boycott Miss_Laura

Default Re: Favourite Vegan Food Products - UK

im going mental for the 'fresh gourmet organics' sandwiches at the moment, i dont know if theses are sold in just london, they have started selling them where i work and im going to be broke soon.

http://www.freshorganics.biz/

they do about 5 or 6 vegan sandwiches, all organic. my fav is smoked tofu, chilli sauce (not hot) lettuce and alfalfa sprouts, SOOOO good. i might have to start elevensies early

opps, i didnt see previous messages on theses sarnies. if you can you have to try the old smokey one, i never thought cold tofu could be palatable but its the best sandwich i have ever had, better than peanut butter and crisps even !!

oh i see we've all been moved into the fresh organics worship thread, now if we can just get them to start weening out the meat ones

Unhappy Re: Boots vegan sandwich

Quote Shisha Fiend
    Pret A Manger do vegan sandwiches- they're houmous, salad, and sun dried toatoes. They are REALLY REALLY nice. A bit on the steep side but that's Pret for you.
    Their houmous is very mild, I don't know if this applies to the Boots one but perhaps that's why you couldn't taste it? Supermarket houmous has a very sharp flavour sometimes.

xxx
    Pret A Manger is owned By McDonalds if you weren't aware. I've heard they do those sandwiches to but for that reason don't eat there since someone told me that.

Not "owned by" - MacDonalds do hold a large amount of shares in Pret, but not a controlling interest...I was concerned by this so did research.

I sometimes buy said sandwiches when working in London (sainsburys sell them too), although they are overpriced and I generally try to take my own sandwiches/food to work. Their gluten free ones are absolutely disgusting!
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote bittersweet
    Not "owned by" - MacDonalds do hold a large amount of shares in Pret, but not a controlling interest...I was concerned by this so did research.
    Wow, that's good to hear! I always liked their coffee (because it's relatively cheap) and now I can eat their hummus sandwich.

I used to love Boots avocado with pine nuts sandwiches. If only they made them without butter or mayo. But then I am addiced to avocados and it's probably cheaper to make my own.

I went to my local Boots today to see if there were any of these vegan sarnies that you guys are all talking about, but nothing! What a crap branch I've got!

Default Re: Boots vegan sandwich, missing houmous

i sent them an email saying how nice they were and mentioned that they could be a little less shy with the houmous and...

Hi Harvey,
    Thank you so much for your great e-mail. I am so glad that you are enjoying the sandwiches. I have passed on your comments to our Q.C. to make sure that there are lashings of tasty houmous on the “Bugsy” sandwich.

Thank you indeed for taking the time and trouble to contact us. Your comments are much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Malcolm Lee

Wink Re: Boots vegan sandwich

Your name is Harvey?

Default Re: Boots vegan sandwich and now cakes

has anyone tried them yet? i dont shop in boots, our work has started stocking the sarnies but not the cakes, looking on the website they have a good 5 or 6 vegan cakes, are they ridicolously overpriced and tiny? i bet they are nice. i wish they hadnt done that, the only think i miss about being vegan, is cake and being a single vegan i never bother cooking a family sized cake because i will eat it all rather than throw the rest out to the birds when its too hard and past its best.

bad freshorganics people *shakes fist in thier direction*

catalina yes and that is my first name ive never met another harvey that wasnt a dog. 'oh my dogs called harvey!' (not my dog, i dont have one )

well, you're in luck, i had a hamster called harvey when i was a kid

Talking Re: Boots vegan sandwich

Oh, I didn't even know that it's a traditional dog's name in this country. I just thought it was awfully cute, because when I think of Harveys, I think of a serious and straight-laced older guy wearing a suit, working in an office...then I had a look at your picture!

catalina was you thinking of shine on harvey moon? (old tv prog) and yes that will be me in a few years with my briefcase and little packed lunch box full of goodies or one curly sandwich and an apple.

thank you for saying you thought my name was cute but can i remind you this is the vegan sandwich thread not the shameless flirting one (just teasing, its nice to be told its something other than a dogs name and now a hamsters too)

No, I've never heard of that programme. If it's very old, I've only been in the UK since the early 90's. I was thinking more about this old guy called Harvey something or something Harvey, on NPR (National Public Radio) in the US during the 80s. Very formal.

Flirting??? Me??? Impossible...

Marmite Kid, you were lucky Fresh Organics replied to you, they completely ignored my email my local Boots seem to have stopped doing the beetroot sandwich altogether, and very rarely have the Bugsy. i've never seen them anywhere else in Brighton.

They are easy to get in central london, never seen elsewhere thou (sainsburys holborn has a large selection).

gorilla hello, i guess i caught them on a good day either that or they thought i was writing in on behalf of my dog, like people do in letters sections of papers pretending to be thier cat (me having a dog name).

they are a little hit and miss, our local tesco metro only sells the bugsy ones which was fine because they are nice enough on thier own but our works canteen hasnt had the smoked tofu one (after spoiling us with the full range of vegan ones) in for the past couple of days, i hope they havent stopped selling them otherwise they are going to have a one man protest on thier hands. i usually bring my own but 10 years of homous and lettice does get a bit boring after a while. ive not tried the beetroot one yet but a friend in the office cant get enough of that one.

dont you have plenty of nice places in brighton to get vegan sarnies? or is that a misconception just because you have a couple of good eateries

there are loads of good veg*n places to eat in Brighton, but you can't really get just a sandwich in any of them. plus they're really expensive - a Fresh Organics sarnie costs £1.90 in Boots, or you can pay about £3 or £4 for a fresh houmous bagel/baguette in a veggie cafe.

i suppose that's because of the overheads of running a cafe providing freshly made food as opposed to a shop with prepacked sandwiches, it's just that sometimes it's nice to have lunch out and not pay a fortune for it

you're lucky your work canteen sells vegan food - mine doesn't!

gorilla, ive only really been to the indian resturant in brighton, ive been there loads, theres a nice skatepark there but the real reason i go is for the trampolines on the pier im going to go to the george pub one day but havent yet. is that nice? reasonably priced? im sure once they've become a bit more established they will venture down to brighton, do you want me to email them for you seeming as though they ignore yours and i get nice emails back?
    i begrudge paying too much for sandwiches too, knowing that i could have made 10 of them for the same price at home but the fresh organics ones are nice and not too pricey. i should be on some sort of commission from them, ive been telling everyone that will listen about them and its only recently that they have been selling vegan food at our canteen, they sell homemade soup but have to put butter in everything and for some reason feel the urge to put chopped up sausage in the salad bar rice

My Local Boots in Bromley is rubbish for sandwiches. Whether I'm going to work or out for the day, I always take a packed lunch. That way I always have something I like.

It would be nice if I didn't have to though.

Quote the_marmite_kid
    im going to go to the george pub one day but havent yet. is that nice? reasonably priced?
    check out this thread: Vegan Brighton
    and this one: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

i'll probably email Fresh Organics again. maybe i caught them on an off day last time.

gorilla thanks i'll have a look in a mo. if you havent emailed fresh organics yet can you wag you finger at them for me? they promised lashings of homous to be added to bugsy sarnies, either i was being humoured (and i guess so if they never got back to you) or they are slow at getting customer feedback actioned, im (still despite the lack of extra homous) enjoyning a bugsy sarnie at the mo. and very nice it is too

i've just had my elevensies and there was definately more homous in the bugsy sandwich today hurrah. but sadly for me my works has stopped selling the fresh organics sarnies so no more of thier delicious smoked tofu sarnies, its either the bugsy or beetroot one (which is nicer than i thought it was going to be as im not a great fan of beetroot)

i got a reply from Fresh Organics today they said they're looking into selling their sarnies in other places around Brighton as there's obviously a big market for them

they said the best way to get Boots have their sarnies more often is to talk to the actual store. not sure if that'll do any good but maybe worth a try

i'm not a big fan of beetroot either Marmite Kid but i like their beetroot sandwich.

sugarmouse

me too and i have always thought i HATED beetroot lol
    im reviving this thread mainly though...to ask does anyone know how these sandwiches rate healthwise?i knw theyre relatively low in cal for their size and by looking at the nutritian they seem pretty good..but can someone slightly more expert than me stick 2cents in?im eatin thse on a regular basis now as theres a boots near to where i work!

Quote Gorilla
    i'm not a big fan of beetroot either Marmite Kid but i like their beetroot sandwich.
    Maybe their's is fresh rather than pickled beetroot? Much nicer!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Boots in Brighton seem to have got rid of these completely... i haven't seen them for months! i don't know of anywhere else in the area that sells them either, it's such a shame.

i guess they're pretty good nutrition-wise, they're on wholemeal bread, with fresh veggies and sprouts, and it's all organic - sounds good to me.

i think the beetroot is fresh rather than pickled - much nicer, i agree.

FR

Is Boots a store or a restaurant?

Boots is a shop/store and a chemists, FR.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Boots is a store, they're primarily a chemists but for some reason started selling a range of snack foods and sandwiches quite a few years ago. some vegans would choose to avoid them because of their pharmaceutical links though.

Quote Gorilla
    i got a reply from Fresh Organics today they said they're looking into selling their sarnies in other places around Brighton as there's obviously a big market for them
    You did better than me to get a reply from them - they never sent me a peep after I asked them about their cakes

They also developed several major brands sold in theirs and other stores under the name BHI (Boots Healthcare International), such as E45, Nurofen, Clearasil, Strepsils etc. These were all sold off last month though for around £1.9 billion to Crookes Healthcare.

tabitha

Ive never seen vegan sandwiches in Boots. What do they put in them.

Tiggerwoo

Usually houmous, alfalfa sprouts, beetroot and carrots. When I'm at work the branch near me has 2 different varieties. They're pretty filling.