Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Boots vegan sandwich

tabitha

Default Re: Boots vegan sandwich

I will get hubby to look out for them in London. He works near Fleet Street. That would be great for me. I do three different jobs in the day and it would be nice to just nip into a shop and get a sarnie. Usually I end up in Holland and Barretts getting a SOS roll, which I should think is quite fattening.

sugarmouse

Tabitha they arent that bad! theyre abotu 250 cals last time i checked and not too much sat fat..cant remember exact figure.however, i think they are a bit boring and i am not a fan of not-fresh food!

tabitha

I must admit Ive gone off them a bit. I used to like those porkless pork pies, but I cant stand them now. I suppose the answer is to be very organised and take nice fresh stuff with you to work.

Quote twinkle
    You did better than me to get a reply from them - they never sent me a peep after I asked them about their cakes
    it took me a couple of emails to get a reply out of them, and i've never seen their sandwiches anywhere other than Boots in Brighton so i guess there wasn't that much of a demand for them after all...

I'm not allowed bread at the moment so I bought organic black rye bread because you can't really overeat on it without feeling like you've eaten several pounds of concrete
    I checked out the calories and it was 160 kcals a slice
    Back to the subject Paddington station in London was selling vegan wraps of hummous and roasted veg which looked ok, bit boring though and £3.95
    Silent but deadly :p

sugarmouse

[QUOTE=Hemlock]I'm not allowed bread at the moment so I bought organic black rye bread because you can't really overeat on it without feeling like you've eaten several pounds of concrete

Eeew hemlock i hate that stuff aswell..it realy is dense like a door mat type substance!
    im tryin to not eat bread purely cos it makes me fat.lol

At the Boots closest to me they have the one with the carrot and the one with the beetroot. There ok really and eat them sometimes even though I shouldn't really because I'm gluten intolerant. I made them myself though using the same sort filling as they did with gluten free bread. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

i havent seen or heard of it..spose thats cos i never go into boots.

i hate buying sandwhiches when i'm out, cos they always cost too much and you could buy the ingredients cheaply and make it yourself.

i dont like beetroot :|

sugarmouse

I agree theyre a rip off..i pay for the convinience and for the fact that i can show to folk that vegans do eat 'normal,everday' food i think it helps..and irrelevant..but i like the packaging!

Quote tabitha
    I must admit Ive gone off them a bit. I used to like those porkless pork pies, but I cant stand them now. I suppose the answer is to be very organised and take nice fresh stuff with you to work.
    Try heating them a bit and eating it with plenty of English Mustard.

I tried the Boots vegan Sandwich today for the first time. They usually run out these during lunch time (atleast the store closest to my office). 2 quid for the beetroot sandwich was quite allright. I kind of liked it and was filling.

Not a bad option in cases of severe hunger emergencies!
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

tabitha

I asked at our Boots. They had never heard of it.

Depends where you live. They don't have boots vegan sandwices in villages or in smaller stores!

tabitha

Well this is in a largish town, in which I appear to be the only vegan!!

are we now talking about a product made by boots, or are we still talking about the green packetted organic stuff which can be bought in boots but isn't made by them and is also in sainsburys?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

They are made by Fresh Organics and not by Boots.

I've noticed that all of Boots own brand Sandwiches now have Mayo. Why?

I tried the can't beet it in Glasgow- yummy! Hope more companies start making vegan sarnies!
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

I found the Fresh sandwiches in a Tescos Express in London too!
    They did a falafel one and a houmous and carrot, as well as a falafel salad!

i will not be trying the boots one...i hate beetroot! yeuch

Quote lozza
    i will not be trying the boots one...i hate beetroot! yeuch
    I can't stand pickled beetroot, but this was ok. It's not the best sandwich I've ever tasted, but it's another option when I'm in a jam.

Quote Troutina
    I found the Fresh sandwiches in a Tescos Express in London too!
    They did a falafel one and a houmous and carrot, as well as a falafel salad!
    I'll have to check those out. Mmm, falafel.

*BUMP*

i found the boots vegan sandwich! it looked rather nice. how much did everyone say they saw it priced for? in the boots at glasgow central station, its £1.90! didnt some of you say it was like £3-odd?

also..didnt some people say there was beetroot in it? there wasnt any in the one i saw.

havent tried it yet, but i think i will soon!

I looked in the one in Leicester and they had a roasted vege and hummus one which sounds lovely, but they had put creamed cheese into too! Why ruin what could have been a perfectly lovely vegan wrap with cheese
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

I had a look in my local Boots a couple of days ago but they didn't have anything vegan (to be fair, it was nearly closing time so they may have sold out - the problems I have with a lunch break at 5 in the afternoon).

Quote Ara
    I looked in the one in Leicester and they had a roasted vege and hummus one which sounds lovely, but they had put creamed cheese into too! Why ruin what could have been a perfectly lovely vegan wrap with cheese
    thats annoying!

Quote antman
    I had a look in my local Boots a couple of days ago but they didn't have anything vegan (to be fair, it was nearly closing time so they may have sold out - the problems I have with a lunch break at 5 in the afternoon).
    see you know whats weird. we have this massive huge boots in the town centre, and they dont have any vegan sarnies.

then the tiny lil one in the train station has one! its weird. you'd think the bigger one would be more likely to have it. *shakes head* i dunno!

Most boots in Glasgow have them when I look, they just seem to sell out really quickly, which is good in a way I guess.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

hmm yeah i guess that it a good thing!

i never see it in the boots in buchanan galleries..i suppose i havent tried the one in st. enoch, nor the sauchiehall st one.

I found one yesterday It was nice, though there was too much in it for my liking, so I wsn't able to finish it. I prefer one or two fillings rather than 5 or 6.

i'm the opposite..i love loads of fillings, cos sandwhiches dont tend to fill me..i'm always hungry soon after. thats why i usually buy (or make) soup & sandwhich! i love sandwhiches filled to the brim with salad!

I tried one of the vegan sarnies from Boots. It was OK, and it's nice to have a vegan option when necessary. But to be honest, I thought that even with shop bought humous, salad, and bread, that it wouldn't be hard to do better myself.

Cheers,

Ross-c

the main Boots store in Brighton had a couple of the beetroot sandwiches on Saturday. i see they've changed the packaging since i last found any. i also noticed this branch of Boots have started selling the Nakd and Trek bars, not cheap though at £1.49 each
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I bought a hummous and roasted vegetable wrap from Boots the other day, not only did it taste horrible but half way through I noticed it had some kind of cheese in it which was confirmed on the wrapper in tiny writing - vomit, cough

sorry to hear that Hemlock, i don't think there are many Boots brand sandwiches etc. that are vegan, and if there are any i don't think they label them as such. many of them could be vegan, but they always insist on sneaking cheese or something into them, even the ones that are supposed to be healthy.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Not only cheese but cottage cheese - yuk! Double insult, cottage cheese is like watery sick at the best of times anyway.
    The hummous was non existent - couldn't even taste it and the vegetables were soggy and horribly bitter. Altogether a vile gastronomic experience.
    I do wish chain stores or any stores for that matter could be a bit more adventurous. I don't want to eat soggy roasted veg in flaccid bread I want to eat a really nice sandwich with something like tofu or bean burger in it and lots of fresh herbs or a crispy fresh salad filling with fake turkey and vegan mayo on exciting bread or rolls with sesame or poppy seeds.
    It's always flipping hummous and roasted vegetables.....God

I guess houmous and vegetables is as far as their imagination goes. The two vegan sandwiches I've tried the vegetables have always been drydrydry...super dry. lol I guess least the sandwiches are white bread and tofu and lettuce as quite a few people think vegans only eat tofu and lettuce...
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I bought a hummous and roasted vegetable wrap from Boots the other day, not only did it taste horrible but half way through I noticed it had some kind of cheese in it which was confirmed on the wrapper in tiny writing - vomit, cough
    Thats very unfortunate, Hemlock.
    To my knowledge, Boots does only 2 vegan sandwiches. If I remember correctly they are called the bugsy and Beet it. They have the veggie delight too that has a similar packing and you can't make out the difference easily.
    I don't think there are any other vegan sandwiches or wraps by boots.

I had the "Can't Beat It One" recently. It was very nice, not big enough to satisfy my very hungry body though. I should have bought two.

I then amused myself by comparing the nutrition information and ingredients on the pack to the information on the pack of the revolting roast chicken sandwich concoction my little brother and sister had just consumed. It was a combination of me feeling very smug, healthy and virtuous whilst shaking my head in despair at the eating habits of others.

Quote Enchantress
    I then amused myself by comparing the nutrition information and ingredients on the pack to the information on the pack of the revolting roast chicken sandwich concoction my little brother and sister had just consumed. It was a combination of me feeling very smug, healthy and virtuous whilst shaking my head in despair at the eating habits of others.
    I do this kind of thing all the time, but I try to do it surreptitiously, so as to not annoy everyone!! Although inside I'm thinking, "Ha! Look at the crap you're eating!"

sugarmouse

lol i do that all the time.sometimes i make myself heard sometimes not.i have seen the bugsy,beet it, and another one with falafal in ti cannot remember what that one ws called.[/COLOR]

my local tescos metro does the vegan bugsy sarnie made by fresh as well as a falafel salad made by the same company. Makes a change to be able to buy a proper sandwich for once.
    they are both clearly labelled vegan

I *really* want to find one of these falafel salads.

Yay....our local Boots in Eastbourne has finally got in the 2 vegan sarnies, can't mistake them as they are labelled vegan and they were actually ok and nice to eat! At last I can just go out and buy something.
    There is also a local turkish newsagents who stocks turkish food and he has vegan falafel sandwiches and vegan samosa in his fridge cabinet more often than not - they are unusual too and it's really nice to get a change so the palate doesn't get jaded

Hooray i actually found the sarnies today! Had the alfalfa and sunflower sprouts one with hummous and tomato - was nice! Will have to try the other one soon, mmmm. I got really excited in boots, it was a bit sad hehe.
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

I don't like the one with loads of carrot in it, it tastes too sweet for me and I aint a fan of carrot as a sandwich filling. Was annoyed when I went over to Sainsburys to see if they had anything and a houmous n falafel salad wrap looked good till I saw it had Greek yoghurt in it.

Ended up with a veggie juice drink thing from a smoothie and juice place and after giving up the carrot sandwich, the juice had mainly carrot in it lol.

I've found the salads. They do them in Planet Organic which is off of Tottenham Court Road.

Useful to know.

have you ever met a checkout worker in planet organic who hasn't been absolutely miserable and completely unhelpful though? Other than the rip off prices that's the main reason I don't shop there very often

The easy organics salads are in some sainsburys in central London (inc the one opposite Holborn station)
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble
    have you ever met a checkout worker in planet organic who hasn't been absolutely miserable and completely unhelpful though? Other than the rip off prices that's the main reason I don't shop there very often
    I've only been there once, and until I tucked into whatever it was I bought I vowed never to darken their door again.

They do some nice food though

Quote Mr Flibble
    Absolutely. There's two employees in my local Planet in Westbourne Grove who actually smile. I figure they won't be there for long, since they don't fit the miserable company culture. The managers are even worse, they block the aisles having impromptu meetings, and won't let customers pass. Excuse me, but we're only the customers, the people who give you money at the till.

veggiewoman

I got two varieties of the Boots vegan sandwhiches and now have tried them both, very yummy