Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Boots vegan sandwich

Default Re: Boots vegan sandwich

Quote Roxy View Post
    I guess it's no worse than eating Marmite.
    what's wrong with marmite??? all these things i thought i knew, more still bites me on the bum!

amanda

wait...i've just realised it's owned by unilever. dammit....love marmite....

who makes vegemite?

amanda

I use Meridian brand yeast extract, flying plum.

I think it's Kraft foods who make vegemite in this country.

Prawnil

Not so long ago I was eating one of the tofu & chili jam sandwiches from Boots, and bit into a little piece, tiny little chunk, of hard plastic. I thought it was glass at the time, although it did me no harm, and sent the thing to the Fresh! people who make the sandwiches.
    I got a letter back, all addressed and signed by hand, a very friendly one, to explain that they'd analysed it, traced it back to the chili-jam-pot-lid-seals, and would from now on use a different chili-jam procedure (I'm sure it was already state of the art), and replace the jam containers!

They seem to be very pleasant. They even sent a gift card.

that's good. i've never managed to find one of those tofu sandwiches round here. they still only stock Bugsy.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

The company that that makes those sandwhichs only do the Bugsy ones in Boots where I live, however when in a coffee shop recently I saw they had a massive range. One imparticular stuck out! It was a veggie sausage and rocket sandwhich. It didn't say vegan on it so I didn't buy it, but Emily did and when I read the ingredients they were all vegan. ALL OF THEM! I still didn't eat it just incase, because it didn't say vegan. Anyone know if it is vegan or not?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

they have a new web address, http://www.freshnaturallyorganic.co.uk/, and if the sausage one is the Saucy Sausage, then according to the website it is vegan. strange they didn't write 'vegan' on the packet though, as they're good at labelling their other products.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

JC

london, london, london, london, london ... why don't companies realise not all vegans live in bloody london?! they have like 10 of the same store, whilst we're lucky to get just 1 in the whole of the north! not everything is about LONDON!!!

(sorry, some northern jealousy there )

Quote Gorilla View Post
    they have a new web address, http://www.freshnaturallyorganic.co.uk/, and if the sausage one is the Saucy Sausage, then according to the website it is vegan. strange they didn't write 'vegan' on the packet though, as they're good at labelling their other products.
    Hmm interesting!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote JC View Post
    london, london, london, london, london ... why don't companies realise not all vegans live in bloody london?! they have like 10 of the same store, whilst we're lucky to get just 1 in the whole of the north! not everything is about LONDON!!!

(sorry, some northern jealousy there )
    Tschaaa, try living in cornwall....I don't think that the rest of england even knows it exists.
    Can't live my life with no rhythm or rhyme

JC

Quote cornishdreadhead View Post
    Tschaaa, try living in cornwall....I don't think that the rest of england even knows it exists.
    true. i shouldn't complain. but i'm going to anyway . at least you have a nice place to live! i bet you get really annoyed by city people using cornwall as a tourist destination, then forgetting about it the rest of the time.

Infinity Foods in Brighton are now selling a wide range of the Fresh Organics sandwiches, i've now had the Sprouting Goodness and the Full of Falafels, both rather yummy.

Hmmm well I discovered the carrot and hummus sandwhich the other day when I was well peckish in town, so I bought one but it tasted like absolute feet, it was ming-tastic. Even the pigeons turned their noses up, and I've seen a pigeon eating sick before, no joke.

Quote JC View Post
    true. i shouldn't complain. but i'm going to anyway . at least you have a nice place to live! i bet you get really annoyed by city people using cornwall as a tourist destination, then forgetting about it the rest of the time.
    Well kind of but then tourism is a major economy in cornwall and without it a lot of people would be pretty fucked. But I do hate it when tourists litter and stuff like that Well I hate it when anyone litters but with tourists its even worse....

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Infinity Foods in Brighton are now selling a wide range of the Fresh Organics sandwiches, i've now had the Sprouting Goodness and the Full of Falafels, both rather yummy.
    Another good reason to head to Brighton then

Hmmm well I discovered the carrot and hummus sandwhich the other day when I was well peckish in town, so I bought one but it tasted like absolute feet, it was ming-tastic. Even the pigeons turned their noses up, and I've seen a pigeon eating sick before, no joke.
    Yeah, it's a shame really. Whenever I've been really hungry and bought one here (will I ever learn?) it's either been mouldy or smelt "off", or it's still frozen in the middle Not nice.
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

sugarmouse

The one's I hav had have always been fine

Mine have always been good. Shocked to hear they freeze them though - was this from Boots RachelJune? Is this common practice? I would not have thought they would freeze well at all.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I think maybe the problem with mine is that it hadn't been frozen...and it had been sitting on the shelf too long, all the carrot was kinda wilted yet going hard at the same time...

whuuuut?! I've NEVER had a bad one - even on its sell-by date!

Mine have always been yummy. :-/

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i had the Saucy Sausage one today, very nice but could do with a bit more, well, sauce. i don't know why it only says 'vegetarian' on the packet though, not 'vegan'. i almost didn't buy it because i wasn't 100% sure that was the one i saw as vegan on the website. i think i'll email them and ask why.

Me and Corum love Cornwall and try and visit at least once a year
    Silent but deadly :p

I went to Boots today and found a different vegan sandwich which made a nice change to that Bugsy one . I got the Thin Lizzy which is smoked tofu, chilli jam, sprouted seeds & rocket. It was very nice also.

Well... sorry if this puts you off your yummy Boots vegan frozen sandwich, but...
    Boots

They state 'no animal testing of any kind is undertaken or commissioned by the Boots Company or its subsidiary businesses.' However, they do not have a FCOD (Fixed Cut-Off Date), and are prepared to use ingredients that have been tested on animals by others.

Taken from Animal Aid website:
    http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMP...iments/ALL/303

Doh ! Just read previous page and this has already been posted.... sorry just woke up *yawn* @_@

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Me and Corum love Cornwall and try and visit at least once a year
    Oooh, what part do u usually visit?

Quote bexi View Post
    I went to Boots today and found a different vegan sandwich which made a nice change to that Bugsy one . I got the Thin Lizzy which is smoked tofu, chilli jam, sprouted seeds & rocket. It was very nice also.
    Best sandwich ever. Well at least best pre packaged sandwich.

Quote bexi View Post
    that sounds very much like the one i'm eating right now, only mine's called Old Smokey. i got it from Infinity Foods rather than Boots. it's tres bien.

i want to try this one:

Tofu Snofu: Tofu, Hoi Sin Sauce, Grated Carrot, Raw Red Peppers & Coriander.
    they still haven't replied to my email about their Saucy Sausage packaging.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Mine have always been good. Shocked to hear they freeze them though - was this from Boots RachelJune? Is this common practice? I would not have thought they would freeze well at all.
    Yep, I get mine from Boots in Leeds. It's often been very frozen when I started to eat it, I've had to let it thaw for a while. It's a shame, as those Boots Meal Deals are quite good value.

Last time we got two of them, one each, and I complained that it smelt funny when I opened it. We both took a first bite and spat it out at exactly the same time. I guess at least it wasn't frozen!

yuk! did you take it back, Rachel?

Certainly did!

Btw, anyone else noticed Boots doing their own version of the carrot and homous sandwich? The ingredients look vegan, but haven't tried it yet.

I've had the bugsy sandwich a few times and it tasted fine and the tofu one as well but I liked that less - im not into smoked tofu really. I try not to buy from boots anymore unless its an emergency, come to think of it I'm trying not to buy sndwiches etc at all anymore, got to save the pennies!
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

sugarmouse

Quote RachelJune View Post
    Yep, I get mine from Boots in Leeds. It's often been very frozen when I started to eat it, I've had to let it thaw for a while. It's a shame, as those Boots Meal Deals are quite good value.

Last time we got two of them, one each, and I complained that it smelt funny when I opened it. We both took a first bite and spat it out at exactly the same time. I guess at least it wasn't frozen!
    Why, what was wrong with them RachelJune?
    I guess boots are putting their fridges too cold..I know my local deli does that aswell, tis anoying.

Quote RachelJune View Post
    Certainly did!

Btw, anyone else noticed Boots doing their own version of the carrot and homous sandwich? The ingredients look vegan, but haven't tried it yet.

Yeah I noticed that... what copy cats lol . Unfortunately I'm pretty sure their version isn't vegan. I think I checked the ingredients and it contained egg or milk or something...

When I was visiting london the other day I found a Fresh "Tastes of Provence" cous cous salad in a Tesco store. It was really nice - had little roasted veggie kebabs in it. On the website this one is just listed as vegetarian but the packet clearly said it was vegan. Can't get the Fresh! salads and things up north where I live so 'twas quite a novelty for me .

I have had these sandwiches a few times, and I do like them, my fave being the tofu one.
    I know that boots isn't a terribly ethical company, however, on the flipside, the more people buy such vegan items, the more likely they may introduce more of them.
    It could mean that a person going in to buy a chicken sandwich might just be tempted to try a vegan alternative instead.

sugarmouse

I know, this is the conflict I have inmyhead.
    Wal-mart (asda here) sell them too.
    I am not going to shop there, I dont want give them my money BUT at the same time I am glad they are making a vegan food product available to the mainstream and thus acceptable , breaking the boundries between 'normal' ignorant shoppers and those who think about what they consume.

BlackCats

Quote brucie-g View Post
    I have had these sandwiches a few times, and I do like them, my fave being the tofu one.
    I know that boots isn't a terribly ethical company, however, on the flipside, the more people buy such vegan items, the more likely they may introduce more of them.
    It could mean that a person going in to buy a chicken sandwich might just be tempted to try a vegan alternative instead.
    That is exactly what I was discussing with another VF person yesterday. I started to boycott certain shops when I first turned vegan but I am not going to boycott these companies anymore. I wasn't being at all consistent with my shopping choices either. I don't think it makes sense to boycott as the more demand they have for vegan items the more they will make them. I think I will draw the line at buying any vegan food from McD's though. Just my personal opinion anyway.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I think I will draw the line at buying any vegan food from McD's though.
    My sentiments exactly!

I noticed the other day that Boots now have a vegan salad, it was butternut squash and bulghur wheat with harrissa dressing.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i want to try this one:

Tofu Snofu: Tofu, Hoi Sin Sauce, Grated Carrot, Raw Red Peppers & Coriander.
    i have tried it now, and it's really good. i think my favourite's the Full of Falafels.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    they still haven't replied to my email about their Saucy Sausage packaging.
    never got a reply. bah.

Quote sugarmouse View Post

Wal-mart (asda here) sell them too.
    Yeah man, the asda near me sells such a wicked range of vegan products! Yumyumyuymyum

talknerdytome

They sell these on my campus, and always have a really good range, including the salads. I was so chuffed when I found them all over University!

Hm tehy ahve a lot of vegan sarnies on that webby...only ever since beetroot, carrot and tofu one. But it is cool that they make them. Obv I don't eat em b/c I'm gluten free buttt, shame they don't have that doodling salad which is vegan and gluten free. lol

Rice Noodles with Tofu, Carrots, Sweet Corn, Spinach & Hoi Sin Sauce. NO MAYO!

Altho could make that myself. LOL
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

i found a Fresh Organics sandwich i haven't had before, reduced to 75p in Boots in Eastbourne of all places it's called Nuts in May and contains guacamole, pepper, pine nuts, caramelised onion and rocket, really nice.

i got a little confused though because they seem to have changed their colour schemes on the labels - i'm sure the vegan ones always used to be orange, i was about to pick up a orange one but it was tuna!

Sloth

Quote Gorilla View Post
    ...it's called Nuts in May and contains guacamole, pepper, pine nuts, caramelised onion and rocket, really nice.
    I found this sandwich recently too! I keep going to get another but they seem to run out of this particular one so quickly...

I saw a new seasonal sarnie today called Big Red! (5p goes to Comic Relief).
    It's organic falafel with chilli & ginger salsa and salad. It was okay, nothing special imo. Wish I'd got Nuts In May which I think is nicer.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

cxmnz

Nuts in May is good, but did anyone else find it a bit messy? I made a complete numpty of myself eating it at work. Will have to check out the falafel one next time I forget to take any lunch in.

Just tried 'Nuts in May'. Cxmnz - I found it held together better than the other 'Fresh' varieties actually - still have a food free desk! That's the nicest variety by a long way in my opinion. I always think they don't taste as good as they sound - normally the bread is either soggy (with the tofu one) or too dry (with the carrot one). Just call me Goldilocks!....

^ Hmmm might try that one. I really really want to try the one that's got veggie sausage in it but I haven't found it yet.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.