Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco

Default Re: Tesco

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I rarely go to Tesco so was shocked (and delighted!) to see 'suitable for vegans' on an own brand item! Do they label much of their stuff? I had no idea they labelled any.

As to the doughnuts - regardless of the past 'are they aren't they' dilemmas if they are listed as vegan in the current bakery book then they must be vegan now.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

cobweb

the doughnuts are listed in the Tesco book, yes

and yes Tesco do label quite a lot of their stuff .

(and no i don't work for them!! )

I'm getting all excited now (it doesn't take much these days! )

I really want to buy some jam doughnuts!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

justakid

Quote derwenna View Post
    I found the chicken-style fillets and dippers in my local tesco yesterday, think they've only just appeared there. I noticed they also had some non-vegan nut cutlets (in the old packaging) next to the vegan ones (in the new packaging) - I guess they're just using up the old stock but watch out in case any others are doing the same! Would be easy to pick the wrong ones up if you were in a hurry.
    i work next to a tesco. im gonna take a look when i finish in 30mins...they prolly wont stock em

Well they are definetly in the current book!
    I hope they're vegan I've literally eaten about 10.

I've a feeling I'll be buying some tomorrow!

Oh no vegan doughnuts and alpro cream cheese and my dad went today i thought he was going to Morrisons (which he did nip into just to get me a tomato garlic bread pizza) but did main shop in tescos.

I really want to try alpro cream cheese but cant find it anywhere as the scheeze ones a bit too salty and tangy for me - has a strange aftertaste?

Dads been good this week - went especially to Asda for those nice frozen fillets they do but they are now discontinued when he asked

So which donuts are they? They do several different ones don't they? I'm sure I used to buy them in a pink bag and there are some in plastic punnets.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

They're in a red bag with a doughnut monster on the front, with a clear circle so you can see inside.

I'm assuming that the alpro cream cheese is just the same as the provamel one. If so, I really like it. I bought some from the health food shop the other day and have been eating it on herby oat cakes. Yummy.

Well, I'm just back from Tesco and just before I bought the doughnuts I decided to ask about the ingredients. They kindly brought a big book from the back and showed me the ingredients...........it said 'egg'!
    I don't know if this means all the instore bakeries use the same ingredients but as far as the ones over here are concerned, their jam doughnuts are not suitable for vegans.

BlackCats

I looked online at jam doughnuts from Tesco last night and they all said they contained egg unless there is another type of doughnut you can buy instore but not online. I really wanted some as well.

(I did buy 2 lots of cheezly and some alpro cream cheese though and also some of those tangerine chocolate bars.)

cobweb

oh well, probably for the best - they don't do the instore doughnuts at our Tesco but if they were vegan (and they made them here!) i would be tucking in as we speak!.

thanks for checking, Sandra.

I'm really disappointed..........I was looking forward to them............I miss their sugary goodness!

darn, I was at tesco today and didn't check!

I'll try to remember to in the week though.

Quote alisont View Post
    . . . went especially to Asda for those nice frozen fillets they do but they are now discontinued when he asked
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

When I read Alisont's post yesterday I rushed down to the Asda in Ballyclare (which is quite a long journey) to see if they had any frozen fillets.
    There was 17 boxes.............so I bought them all! So, if they discontinue them over here they can't say it was because they weren't popular!

I really hope they don't discontinue them.

I remember asking about the dairy free spread in Marks and Spencers once when I couldn't get it, and someone there told me it was discontinued, but low and behold a week later it was there again.
    I think some of these people you ask in shops just can't be bothered to find out for definite and just say things are discontinued.............I hope this is the case anyway! :smile:

Quote sandra View Post
    Well, I'm just back from Tesco and just before I bought the doughnuts I decided to ask about the ingredients. They kindly brought a big book from the back and showed me the ingredients...........it said 'egg'!
    I don't know if this means all the instore bakeries use the same ingredients but as far as the ones over here are concerned, their jam doughnuts are not suitable for vegans.
    OH GOD!!!!

I'm sorry I hope no one ate any because of me!!!
    Eww I feel sick, I've eaten so so many...
    They deffo do some sort of vegan doughnut- I've seen a photo of some!
    ARG.

Maybe they use different ingredients in different stores Troutina, but sadly the ones they make over here are not vegan.
    Could you find out a bit more about the vegan ones!

Quote Troutina View Post
    OH GOD!!!!

I'm sorry I hope no one ate any because of me!!!
    Eww I feel sick, I've eaten so so many...
    They deffo do some sort of vegan doughnut- I've seen a photo of some!
    ARG.
    This is confusing..
    Were the ones you bought pre-packed or from the in-store bakery with no ingredients on.
    If it's the latter, I have found supermarkets often have out-of-date books on this stuff.
    I'm going to call Tesco's customer service tomorrow and try to get to the bottom of it, because...

I want a doughnut !
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

I sent them an email yesterday so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.
    Like you say Cumin, it is all very confusing.

Quote Cumin View Post
    This is confusing..
    Were the ones you bought pre-packed or from the in-store bakery with no ingredients on.
    If it's the latter, I have found supermarkets often have out-of-date books on this stuff.
    I'm going to call Tesco's customer service tomorrow and try to get to the bottom of it, because...

I want a doughnut !
    They were pre packed with no ingredients- a pack of five.
    A friend sent a photograph of a listing in the book from tescos- but the photo was of a white box, not a red bag.
    This is all quite confusing!!
    I want to know that I haven't eaten egg!

I just had a chat with Tesco customer services, and they said that the definitive answer will be the ingredients list kept by the Bakery Manager at the store. So if your store says that their doughnuts have egg in, then they do.
    What is this 'tescos book' that you speak of? They don't do a list any more so where does it come from? If it's just a recipe book then I'm not suprised if it's out of date or wrong.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote Cumin View Post
    I just had a chat with Tesco customer services, and they said that the definitive answer will be the ingredients list kept by the Bakery Manager at the store. So if your store says that their doughnuts have egg in, then they do.
    What is this 'tescos book' that you speak of? They don't do a list any more so where does it come from? If it's just a recipe book then I'm not suprised if it's out of date or wrong.
    I'll try and find out for you.
    The photo was sent to my boyfriend from a girl who works for peta2, so I assumed it was trustworthy!!!
    Thanks for calling them.

i want a doughnut too, but it all sounds too risky to me. so many different kinds of doughnuts, and all this hassle about having to ask for an ingredients list in the store, and i wouldn't be surprised if it's a total myth about vegan doughnuts anyway. i wouldn't take Peta's word for it on anything like this knowing what their 'accidentally vegan' list is like (no offence Troutina, i just feel it's best to be cautious).

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i want a doughnut too, but it all sounds too risky to me. so many different kinds of doughnuts, and all this hassle about having to ask for an ingredients list in the store, and i wouldn't be surprised if it's a total myth about vegan doughnuts anyway. i wouldn't take Peta's word for it on anything like this knowing what their 'accidentally vegan' list is like (no offence Troutina, i just feel it's best to be cautious).
    Yeah I'm totally giving up with doughnuts!!
    Except Co-ops, which I now need to hunt out.
    To be fair, the girl sent the photo to my boyfriend, ie friend to friend, not peta2 or anything...!

Quote sandra View Post
    When I read Alisont's post yesterday I rushed down to the Asda in Ballyclare (which is quite a long journey) to see if they had any frozen fillets.
    There was 17 boxes.............so I bought them all!
    Nutter!!

I did the same with LM sausage rolls when they changed from yellow box (vegan) to red box (non vegan) at uni about 7 years ago. My housemates thought I was insane and started to get annoyed that almost an entire drawer of the freezer was filled with them!
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

i tend to buy up large quantities of vegan items that i think have a chance of being discontinued - that way they can't say there's no demand! i found vegan omega-3 capsules in Sainsburys and bought about a year's supply in one go

17 boxes Looks like we need a bbq around sandra's to help her out.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Nutter!!

I did the same with LM sausage rolls when they changed from yellow box (vegan) to red box (non vegan) at uni about 7 years ago. My housemates thought I was insane and started to get annoyed that almost an entire drawer of the freezer was filled with them!

Yeah, it's good fun though buying them all up isn't it? Although I had the same problem with the freezer.............I couldn't get the door closed!

cobweb

does anyone know if the Tesco own brand sweetened soya milk is ok for vegans?
    dunno why it wouldn't be, yet it's only flagged as suitable for vegetarians, whereas the value one is marked ok for vegans!..............
    i've been buying alpro which i love but it's £1.40 a litre and we use an awful lot of it!

I have it all the time cobweb and it says vegan on mine, We are talking about the blue one?

Demon

Yes, some in the Co-Op are Vegan or were last time I checked. They are 'Cuisine de la France' or something like that. It's a year or 2 since I checked, so if you can get them I would check again. They had a book in store with ingredients listed.

We use the Tesco one too
    I really love the Sainsbury's sweetened soya milk and it definitely state vegan on the box.............I know that's nothing to do with your question Cobweb but I just thought if you had a Sainsbury's near you, you might like to try it?

cobweb

yes, the blue one, puffin, maybe i am confusing the labelling but i know there's one with just vegetarians on it which puzzles me...........

ha-ha Sandra, Sainsburys indeed, it would take me all day on the ferry to get there! - i was over the moon when Tesco landed here a few months ago!.

We'll have to start a petition to get a Sainsburys nearer you Cobweb!

cobweb

blimey, Sandra, you should have heard the hoo-ha when Tesco was coming!
    a lot of people were planning to boycott the store but it seems strangely busy every time i go in!

Ha ha! that's typical of people isn't it Cobweb?

cobweb

very much so, they won't be complaining when they get their clubcard points to spend!
    Tesco are now planning to build a new, bigger store with clothing, electrical items, etc..........i say 'bring it on', it's impossible to get reasonably priced clothes here!

Cobweb, I bought some more Tesco soya milk today and it does say it is suitable for vegans on the side of the box. It's under the word 'sweetened' and is the 3rd point down!

BlackCats

Does anyone know if the Tesco yeast extract is definitely vegan? I was thinking about getting that when the evil Marmite runs out.

cobweb

Quote sandra View Post
    Cobweb, I bought some more Tesco soya milk today and it does say it is suitable for vegans on the side of the box. It's under the word 'sweetened' and is the 3rd point down!

i also bought some - i still think it's weird cos it says suitable for vegetarians on the front, then you have to hunt round the side for the vegan label which is a bit crap . I don't have time for all this inspection malarky! . Anyway, thanks, and yes, i am buying it now, half the price of the Alpro one.

I know what you mean, it seems a bit daft to me. They used to say it was suitable for vegetarian and vegans in the one place but for some reason have decided to move it!

I had no idea they'd started stocking so many new vegan products. I'll have to pay a visit. I've never even heard of that Alpro Soya Cheese.

Also, they seem to be a pain to find, but in the frozen vegetarian section they now have own brand 'chicken' fillets that are labelled vegan and really are very, very good.

Also, boycott Tesco.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Quote MarkAnthony View Post
    Also, they seem to be a pain to find, but in the frozen vegetarian section they now have own brand 'chicken' fillets that are labelled vegan and really are very, very good.
    Can tell you've not been on this for a while!

Tesco have currently got Alpro soya desserts at 2 for £2. Labelled vegan as well.
    I was clearing the shelf in to my trolley tonight when one of the shelf stocking guys said that I could put in a bulk order and collect it three days later.
    Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.

You generally find that the person in your local wholefood/organic store (& I don't mean Holland & Barrett) can give you clear concise and accurate information about which products are suitable for vegans. Its a valuable but endangered resource - go shop there.

hamster
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

behave flibble. we know what that is about.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Zero

urgh.