Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Tesco

Default Re: Tesco

Thank you harpy, l was thinking about to do my own bread as well, l used to do it but l stopped when l moved to Spain first, now that l'm in England again maybe is a good idea. but l'm a little bit lazy now!

I usually make my own bread, although I am not a big bread eater, but if I want sliced bread for convenience then I buy Hovis Wholemeal or Hovis British Farmers Wholemeal.

Unlike most other large bakery companies Hovis state both on their wrapping and on their website below which loaves are suitable for vegans:

http://www.hovisbakery.co.uk/our-range

I tend to buy bread that has not been baked in store so that the ingredients are on the pack, I quite like Roberts and they also label those which are vegan (they don't label any vegan that "May contain milk" but quite a few of these do seem vegan as well.

Yes, if you have the ingredients is more reliable. But l like very crunchy crust and heavy crumb. It would be very useful though if they indicates ingredients for allergies (in sainsbury they do it).

Tesco have now got in stock own brand Vegan Porridge Pots, all you have to do is add hot water.
    They have also started selling 2 new types of Nakd bar that are not even on the Natural Balance website yet - Banana Crunch & Strawberry Crunch, they are small Nakd oatie bars but with protein crisps in. I just tried the banana, its just like the banana bread bar but better!

Have just tried the Cheddar spread thing from Tesco, and I am quite, quite thrilled, let me tell you! It has the tang of Cheddar I remember, so I got quite excited! And also it's in the Cleveleys store!!

I think I need a lie down.

PS Cleveleys is next to Blackpool: it's a kind of retirement place and a bit conservative. NEVER thought I'd find a vegan item there. Go me!

I think that are currently trying to get the Free From stuff into more stores, usually my local has 1 spreadable style cheese, the soya milk, creme caramels and raspberry yoghurt but today I found they have introduced the chocolate coconut milk, mild hard cheese, mini chocolate shakes & plain soya yoghurt as well.

I am actually swooning... I totally didn't know how wide and varied their vegan stuff was! Cheese?! Are you kidding me? Woot!

I didn't know how to check for things, so I just put in vegan thinking something's gotta come up (Ocado list a few things as vegan but not many of the vegan products come up under that search term), and it's so nice to see that not only have they really tried to fill their vegan listing with as many products as possible, but they're listing toiletries and household cleaning/laundry stuff too. Makes one feel actually cared about. Especially as they have their own "vegan" label (the white "v")...

I'm quite sure they're not labelling everything yet, but it's a lot more comprehensive than others stores I've ordered from.

Firestorm, you seem quite a discerning taste tester, what's the cheese like compared to the other brands sold elsewhere?

The cheese is re-branded Sheese. I like the cheddar style spreadable and the Soya Medium hard cheese (the red one), the soya mild (yellow one) doesn't really taste of much.
    They are far better than Cheezly but not as good as Vegusto.

They are better than cheezly aren't they
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    They are better than cheezly aren't they
    Yep, far better. Its such as shame IMO that shops like Holland and Barrett choose to stock Cheezly when Sheese is available, if I wan't Sheese I have to travel 20 miles to get it (although now my local Tesco has it that should make things a bit easier).

Not just taste either, cheezly goes mouldy all too easily, sheese is very resilient.

Quote Risker View Post
    Not just taste either, cheezly goes mouldy all too easily, sheese is very resilient.
    I like cheezly! It is a bit delicate in the fridge but it freezes well. I grate it and keep it in the freezer for pizza and toasted marmite sambos
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I grate it and keep it in the freezer
    I freeze all Vegan cheeses (keep a mix bag in the freezer for four cheese pizzas etc)

Quote Risker View Post
    sheese is very resilient
    Indeed, I have always liked this comment on the Veggiestuff website:
    "The proof of the pudding for any doubting Thomases out there is the fact that we had some Sheese from the remaining stock of the first incarnation of VeggieStuff (from 2004-2005) that 'expired' in February 2006 - it was never stored in a fridge before that date, and since then was stored in a garage, a caravan (at the height of summer) and more recently upstairs at Vegeco HQ. It had no signs at all of spoilage - in fact Damian, one of the company directors had been eating it for some time and said that the flavour had matured!! However, this rare 'vintage cheese alternative' will not be available to the public - its now all reserved for Damian"

Quote Firestorm View Post
    I freeze all Vegan cheeses (keep a mix bag in the freezer for four cheese pizzas etc)
    I always admire how organised you are, FS!

Indeed, I have always liked this comment on the Veggiestuff website:
    "The proof of the pudding for any doubting Thomases out there is the fact that we had some Sheese from the remaining stock of the first incarnation of VeggieStuff (from 2004-2005) that 'expired' in February 2006 - it was never stored in a fridge before that date, and since then was stored in a garage, a caravan (at the height of summer) and more recently upstairs at Vegeco HQ. It had no signs at all of spoilage - in fact Damian, one of the company directors had been eating it for some time and said that the flavour had matured!! However, this rare 'vintage cheese alternative' will not be available to the public - its now all reserved for Damian"
    Haha!
    Houmous atá ann!

Oh gosh I hate Cheezly. I haven't tried Sheese, so the tescos one might be worth a try.

Okay I got some stuff from Tesco's (just walked in to look and they had it all in it's own dedicated section)...

I got the red hard cheese-style thingy like Firestorm spoke about, and it's quite nice, I can imagine it would be nice on a pizza (but yes, the vegusto is nicer and as I have to be sparing with my use of soy it's still my preferred option, but good to have the Tesco one in the meantime and waaaaay better than cheezy *ack*)...

I also got the garlic and herb spread and the cheddar style spread. The garlic/herb one was very similar to Philadelphia cheese spread, but the cheddar style one was WAY too strong (anyone else notice how the pretend cheeses are often TOO cheesy?), so I'll not get the cheddar one again unless one of the kids shows a strong preference.

I also got the caramel deserts and choccie shakes for the kids to try (I don't eat sugar), so we'll see what they say.

Apologies if anyone has posted this before, but Tesco has a list of their own brand products that are vegan: http://realfood.tesco.com/media/docs...ef08696b-0.pdf (This one is the current one)

Thanks s_am, always good to have an up to date list.

Wow! Thanks s_am, that's quite extensive! I gotta admit it kind of makes me feel special; respected and accepted, that shops go to such lengths you know? Does anyone else feel that way?

I agree totally, Peabrain!
    Although.. I wish they would clearly label products as vegan rather than provide a (not particularly user friendly) list online!

I find myself shopping more and more at the co-op as their labelling is fantastic, despite the price.. They label their wines vegan too Godsend!

Tesco are adding to the free from range now with more soya cheese & yoghurts etc: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ...free+from+soya

That's brilliant. I really hope they introduce them in Ireland soon!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Quote Barry View Post
    That's brilliant. I really hope they introduce them in Ireland soon!
    Are any of the cheeses available in Ireland yet? They weren't before I left and I didn't see any when I went back at Christmas.
    Houmous atá ann!

Nope. It sucks. It'd be great to have such a cheap and convenient supply of vegan cheese.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Sorry for that, but I need to continue with the bread topic. I asked in Tesco if they could see in the book whether the walnut loaf has any dairy or not. Despite the fact in the tesco's vegan list appears as vegan, the lady told me that according to the ingredients' book (after having a look to it), it is not vegan! And afterwards told that maybe it is the same for the rest! Is Tesco lying? I'll write them shortly, but I just wanted to warn you.
    Defenetively I'll start doing my own bread.

They've answered me that they are going to speak with the manager asking him to separate free diary bread from the others and to label it.
    It would be really helpful and more logic. What do they do people with diary allergy? And what for to have a vegan products' list if it is not reliable? And, if others products must be labaled properly, why don't display the bread' ingredientes too?

Regards

New stuff I got from Tesco:

The lemon yoghurts look interesting, although the other flavour of that sort was disappointing - not a patch on Alpro.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

The lemon ones are great - they are all rebranded Sojade (formerly Sojasun) they are my favourite yoghurts but difficult to get hold of where I live so I'm very glad Tesco sells them now.

When I went in on Sunday they had the 'free from' stuff on a buy 2 get one free offer.

Quote Mymblesdaughter View Post
    When I went in on Sunday they had the 'free from' stuff on a buy 2 get one free offer.
    Thats why I bought so much stuff, I think I saved about £3.50

I forgot to say - the Dole Cranberry & Blurberry crunch is part of a new Dole range snack which are labelled as being Vegan.

I really really love the lemon yogurts, I haven't had lemon flavour ones since before I went vegan so a long time ago!!
    Smoked cheese!? I hope they get that in my local tesco, I love anything smoked. I always buy the soya mild cheese, I use it for cooking (pasta bake, macaroni ect) My omni boyfriend really likes it too, he steals it from the kitchen when I'm cooking
    I tried the spring onion and black pepper spread the other week, I didn't think it tasted of all that much. I much prefer the garlic & herb one.
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

It won't be smoked, even though it says that. It'll be smoke flavoured sheese. Nice, but not smoked.

Quote Risker View Post
    It won't be smoked, even though it says that. It'll be smoke flavoured sheese. Nice, but not smoked.
    Close enough!
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

I don't want to alarm anyone, and I haven't been able to confirm either way but, via a facebook friend I came across this post yesterday.

"
    I tried to buy Tesco Meat Free Veggie Mince, and was told i couldnt have it as its being RECALLED. I have phoned Tesco to find out why, and the only info they have is it a "Potential Micro Biological Problem" I'm ringing back later for more info".

Another post mentions Sainos and Morrisons following suit...

Micro biological? Do they mean like miniature horses?

I went to tesco today to get the strong cheeses went over to the section and saw free from chocolate mousse, tiramisu and a coffee desert, imagine my excitement I couldn't pick them up fast enough only to read that they are not vegan just vegetarian
    on a plus side I got the cheese and the lemon yogurts are amazing

- - - Updated - - -

I went to tesco today to get the strong cheeses went over to the section and saw free from chocolate mousse, tiramisu and a coffee desert, imagine my excitement I couldn't pick them up fast enough only to read that they are not vegan just vegetarian
    on a plus side I got the cheese and the lemon yogurts are amazing

Quote Risker View Post
    Ooh, I was wrong. It is smoked.

I found these in Tesco (freezer section), they are about £0.90. I emailed the company and they confirmed that they are Vegan: http://www.shana.tv/productdetails.p...dId=71&catId=1

100% sure – I'm going vegan! nathanjh13's Avatar

I found these in Tesco (freezer section), they are about £0.90. I emailed the company and they confirmed that they are Vegan: http://www.shana.tv/productdetails.p...dId=71&catId=1
    Roti: Whole Wheat Flour (46%), Water, Margarine, Emulsion (E471), Sugar, Salt, Baking Powder.
    Filling: Lentils (Moong 46%), Water, Tomatoes, Palm Oil, Sugar, Garlic, Ginger, Lime Juice, Salt, Mixed Spices, Chilli, Coriander.

Vegan indeed.

But "Emulsion (E471)" how appetising does that sound?

It can be animal or plant derived so it's good that you confirmed.

The beauty with synthetics is, like plastics, they don't tend to go off (and make many smooth liquids indeed smooth and pliable) which manufacturers love. On the flip side plastic isn't, er, very easy to digest.

Sometimes we're in a hurry and we need a quick fix however I know, just saying, don't shoot the messenger.

It's not plastic though...

Quote nathanjh13 View Post
    The beauty with synthetics is, like plastics, they don't tend to go off (and make many smooth liquids indeed smooth and pliable) which manufacturers love. On the flip side plastic isn't, er, very easy to digest.
    This is from Food-info.net:
    E471 Mono- and diglycerides

Origin:
    Synthetic fats, produced from glycerol and natural fatty acids, mainly from plant origin, but also fats of animal origin may be used. The product generally is a mixture of different products, with a composition similar to partially digested natural fat.
    Side effects: None known. The body metabolises the products as any other fat. The individual components are also produced normally in the body when digesting normal fat.

So Risker is right, it ain't plastic.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! nathanjh13's Avatar

THat's fair enough, it was used as slang to some degree (rather than saying "yucky") but you were right to point it out!

This strudel is really good, only £1 at the moment too. There's actually two strudels in the pack, each half the length of a normal one.

Strudel strudel strudel.

Quote Risker View Post
    Strudel strudel strudel.
    I imagine it sung to the tune of ABBA's 'Money, money, money'.
    Houmous atá ann!

It's a funny word

http://www.cofresh.co.uk/chilli-and-lemon-potato-grills

These are on offer at tesos rignt now, two big bags for £1, they're really good. There's hot chilli potato hoops too but they hurt my delicate mouth.

Thanks Risker, that's something else I'll have to try.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty