Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco

Default Re: Tesco

Thanks for that Risker - noticed this:

If you are a vegan, or trying to avoid some animal products from choice or because you have been advised to do so for medical reasons,

so - someone remind me - why do you never see - - - if you are trying to avoid PLANT products from your diet for medical reasons.....
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

are tesco good about marking their products vegan as well or do I need to take the list if I shop there?

Thank you Risker - quite an impressive list though it has made me feel anxious about the possibility of things like tinned tomatoes and plain almonds that aren't vegan

They mark barely anything.

Quote vava View Post
    are tesco good about marking their products vegan as well or do I need to take the list if I shop there?
    It's extremely rare to see a Tesco procuct marked as vegan. I've only seen the mince with it on, which I can't even have because it's got garlic in it!
    "Nobody can come up with a good argument for eating animals — nobody can." - Morrissey

better print that list off then!

Default Sainsbury and Asda Vegan List

Hey I have located the vegan list for Sainsbury:

http://hotfile.com/dl/99261548/9672b...burys.pdf.html

And the list for Asda:

http://hotfile.com/dl/99262489/6a1b163/Asda.pdf.html

Hope these help people and make things a little easier when shopping

Enjoy, Phie
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 26th, 2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Copied from another thread

It's Burns night! Two vegan Haggis for £3 in Tesco. Perfect with your neeps and tatties!

Rocket Queen

I find Tesco the best supermarket to shop in for what I usually eat and cook, price and variety wise. Trouble is my nearest one's quite a drive away, and I try to economise my car trips so I usually wait until I am going that way for some other reason, to visit it.
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

I cant open any of the list's i just get lots of text that doesn't make sense?

Hmm... It's been pulled for some reason.

I uploaded it again here - http://viewer.zoho.com/docs/ajccje

The problem you're having sounds like you need to download Adobe Acrobat though poppy. Although this link should work as I don't think it requires it.

Default Re: Sainsbury and Asda Vegan List

Quote phiewe View Post
    Hey I have located the vegan list for Sainsbury:

http://hotfile.com/dl/99261548/9672b...burys.pdf.html

And the list for Asda:

http://hotfile.com/dl/99262489/6a1b163/Asda.pdf.html

Hope these help people and make things a little easier when shopping

Enjoy, Phie
    the asda link doesnt work, here is a working link

http://your.asda.com/assets/2009/9/9/vegan-products.pdf

Default Re: Sainsbury and Asda Vegan List

Quote Hel View Post
    the asda link doesnt work, here is a working link

http://your.asda.com/assets/2009/9/9/vegan-products.pdf

"Issue: March 2009"

Tesco mango & blackcurrent sorbet is so good.

Until recently the nearest Tesco was 60 miles from here. Last year one was built 30 miles away , so we thought we'd give it a try yesterday. Lovely store - brand spanking new, roomy, bright, well stocked, polite and helpful staff. I searched the store for tofu, to no avail. Asked three members of staff and got that wide-eyed 'I don't know what you're talking about but I'll fetch someone' look. Eventually, behind a pillar, we found said item, together with a few vegetarian odds and ends. Tried the same with cheese substitutes - no luck at all there. 'I would have to go to one of their bigger stores.' 'Bigger than this?' I asked. This store seemed huge to me. Ditto with convenience foods; we do most of our own food preparation, but it's handy to have some prepared food around. Nothing. A very frustrating day.

The nearest Holland & Barratt is also 60 miles away, so it looks like I shall have to rely on the two small 'health food' shops in town that are obviously operating some sort of price-fixing cartel.
    "Nostalgia is not what it used to be"

cobweb

^ Greyowl how about ordering from 'Goodness Direct'?

Quote cobweb View Post
    ^ Greyowl how about ordering from 'Goodness Direct'?
    Thanks - have had a quick look. Looks like the postman's going to be busy!

GreyOwl - Have you tired making your own tofu from soya milk? It's ridiculously easy, and you don't need to buy anything special if you don't want to.

I have a tofu press, but I have made it many times in a colander lined with a bit of cheesecloth or muslin.

I use Tesco value soya milk and epson salts which I buy from Tesco pharmacy

Directions
    Place one carton of soya milk in a pan
    Bring soya milk to just below boil, keep it at a very low simmer
    Boil a kettle with about a cupful of water in it
    Pour some boiling water into a mug
    Add 1 tsp of Epson Salts to the water, stir until dissolved
    Turn heat off of soya milk and stir, gently pouring in the water and epsom salts. It will go all clumpy with white clouds of tofu hanging in yellowy water
    Allow to stand for 15-20 mins
    Pour into muslin lined sieve, colander or tofu press
    Put some weight on top, leave overnight

This whole process takes about 5 mins in the kitchen, and the rest is just waiting.

I think I get about 200g out of a 59p carton of soya milk, much cheaper than buying cauldron foods tofu, and I prefer mine

Sure you can read really complex instructions invoking thermometers and so on on the web, but frankly I'm a bit too lazy for that and mine always comes out fine
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote Greyowl55 View Post
    Thanks - have had a quick look. Looks like the postman's going to be busy!
    If you order from Goodness Direct make sure you tell them not to send you non-vegan products, they thought we might like some free goats cheese and milky biscuits.

Oh, and use code SO100561 when ordering

Quote Risker View Post
    If you order from Goodness Direct make sure you tell them not to send you non-vegan products, they thought we might like some free goats cheese and milky biscuits.
    Thanks - will bear that in mind. My problem with postal stuff is that I live in the middle of nowhere; the postman won't come up my track so I have a box 1/3 mile away. I'll be having to make the box bigger.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    GreyOwl - Have you tired making your own tofu from soya milk? It's ridiculously easy, and you don't need to buy anything special if you don't want to.
    And thank you too. This forum is fantastic - I am learning so much. I have a dried flower press - I would not be forgiven for using that. And my last wine making accident required a complete redecoration of the dining room ..... but I'll give it a go.

Quote Greyowl55 View Post
    Until recently the nearest Tesco was 60 miles from here. Last year one was built 30 miles away , so we thought we'd give it a try yesterday. Lovely store - brand spanking new, roomy, bright, well stocked, polite and helpful staff. I searched the store for tofu, to no avail. Asked three members of staff and got that wide-eyed 'I don't know what you're talking about but I'll fetch someone' look. Eventually, behind a pillar, we found said item, together with a few vegetarian odds and ends. Tried the same with cheese substitutes - no luck at all there. 'I would have to go to one of their bigger stores.' 'Bigger than this?' I asked. This store seemed huge to me. Ditto with convenience foods; we do most of our own food preparation, but it's handy to have some prepared food around. Nothing. A very frustrating day.

The nearest Holland & Barratt is also 60 miles away, so it looks like I shall have to rely on the two small 'health food' shops in town that are obviously operating some sort of price-fixing cartel.
    I'm a little concerned that my local Tesco appears to have stopped selling plain tofu - none in stock, and no empty space where it should be either...

I have found that my local health food shops are better than Holland and Barrett - both sell Cheezly - a wider variety than H&B and cheaper as well.

I have a tofu press, but I have made it many times in a colander lined with a bit of cheesecloth or muslin.

I use Tesco value soya milk and epson salts which I buy from Tesco pharmacy

Directions
    Place one carton of soya milk in a pan
    Bring soya milk to just below boil, keep it at a very low simmer
    Boil a kettle with about a cupful of water in it
    Pour some boiling water into a mug
    Add 1 tsp of Epson Salts to the water, stir until dissolved
    Turn heat off of soya milk and stir, gently pouring in the water and epsom salts. It will go all clumpy with white clouds of tofu hanging in yellowy water
    Allow to stand for 15-20 mins
    Pour into muslin lined sieve, colander or tofu press
    Put some weight on top, leave overnight

This whole process takes about 5 mins in the kitchen, and the rest is just waiting.

I think I get about 200g out of a 59p carton of soya milk, much cheaper than buying cauldron foods tofu, and I prefer mine

Sure you can read really complex instructions invoking thermometers and so on on the web, but frankly I'm a bit too lazy for that and mine always comes out fine
    Sounds easy to make - I like tofu but I'm not too fond of the new Cauldron plan tofu - the texture isn't the same as it used to be.

Where did you buy your tofu press?

I got the tofu press on e-bay, but it you wanted to try home made tofu without buying a press, a colander will work, you'll just need to wrap the muslin over the top of the draining tofu and add some weight. It'll make a thinner, round tofu cake rather than a block, which if you are going to cube your tofu up for your recipe really won't make a difference.

I also agree about the cauldron foods stuff. I really don't like it these days. It's also much more expensive and shipped over from America in plastic pots. This is not my idea of a good thing.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Tesco are selling their raspberry and their lemon sorbet 2 tubs for £3. They are amongst the very few things Tesco actually mark as vegan, and very nice too, especially the raspberry flavour.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Shame it doesn't include the mango and blackcurrant sorbet, that's the best one

Do you know for definite it doesn't? I didn't see that flavour for sale...
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Yeah, it's not on offer on the website but the other two are.

I got the tofu press on e-bay, but it you wanted to try home made tofu without buying a press, a colander will work, you'll just need to wrap the muslin over the top of the draining tofu and add some weight. It'll make a thinner, round tofu cake rather than a block, which if you are going to cube your tofu up for your recipe really won't make a difference.

I also agree about the cauldron foods stuff. I really don't like it these days. It's also much more expensive and shipped over from America in plastic pots. This is not my idea of a good thing.
    Thanks for advice. I'll have to experiment and have a go - just need to buy some muslin now. I have a flat oblong shaped colander that fits in my second sink, so that would probably work well, and the tofu would be flat as well!

I'll let you know how I get on - be patient, it probably won't be for a few weeks though!

leedsveg

Thanks Risker.

Interesting that they say "This list does not include fresh fruit and vegetables because they are not processed and are generally suitable for vegans." [my emphasis-lv]

Mmm. It's not unknown for fruit such as oranges and apples to have a non-vegan coating.

lv

We live next door to a huge Tesco Extra, so obviously do our weekly shop there. The vegetarian section is very good in there; masses of choice in the freezers. Unfortuunately most of the vegetarian section is not vegan. There are some tidy own brand curry bakes though. Well worth a try if youo haven't already.
    I like football. And potatoes.

Yes, I've noticed that too Frosty................it is very annoying when they could quite easily make their stuff suitable for vegans too.
    I like those curry bake things aswell..................plus last time I looked their own chips and curry sauce were vegan!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Chips and curry sauce?! I have not seen this. I have a feeling I shall be visiting Tesco again tomorrow.

^^Me too, Asda do a chip chop style curry sauce powder for chips, I have some in the cupboard but have yet to try it.
    I dont think it will be as good though.

Recently, I have been getting the La Brea sour dough breads from Tesco. The olive one is so good I eat it with nothing on at all (I mean no vitalite not in the nude). Today they had run out of olive so I had to try the walnut one and I'm glad I did. Had it with yeast extract, nomm and now the whole loaf is gone!

They are labelled as suitable for vegans except for the wholemeal (honey).

Quote vorpal View Post
    Recently, I have been getting the La Brea sour dough breads from Tesco. The olive one is so good I eat it with nothing on at all (I mean no vitalite not in the nude). Today they had run out of olive so I had to try the walnut one and I'm glad I did. Had it with yeast extract, nomm and now the whole loaf is gone!

I love the walnut one, its fantastic with chocolate spread or peanut butter.

Quote vorpal View Post

That sounds well tasty.

Not real name!

Quote vorpal View Post

I took a trip to Tesco today. Apart from being a soul-destroying experience they didn't have any of this bread. I'm guessing that it isn't available in all areas.

I just went to Tesco and found that they are selling what appear to be Vegan Mushy Pea Bakes made by a company called Lockwood.
    I think I will try one over the weekend on a sandwich with soya ham.

What section did you find them in Firestorm?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

They were with the frozen peas, next to the frozen mushy peas from the same company
    I haven't bought them yet but I have emailed the company to ensure they are vegan.

Not real name!

Quote Firestorm View Post
    They were with the frozen peas, next to the frozen mushy peas from the same company
    I haven't bought them yet but I have emailed the company to ensure they are vegan.
    They aren't. I emailed them ages ago. They contain skimmed milk in the coating despite the ingredients not saying so. When I questioned them further they clammed up.

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    They aren't. I emailed them ages ago. They contain skimmed milk in the coating despite the ingredients not saying so. When I questioned them further they clammed up.
    Oh shit I was really looking forward to them. They also make one in batter as well, do you think its possible they made a mistake and were talking about those?
    Oh well I didn't buy them anyway, I will wait and see what they say, if it turns out they do contain milk (when both their packaging and Tesco's website states they are milk free) I will get in touch with the FSA.

Not real name!

They said both of their bakes contain milk. Here is their email:

Dear Glen Lambert Thank you for your email I am sorry to have to tell you that neither bakes are suitable for Vegans as they both have skimmed milk in the coating. We are constantly reviewing our products and seeing how we can improve them. I will put this point forward at our next production meeting. Many thanks Jackie Harrison Office Supervisor Lockwoods Ltd * Tel: 01773 857435 * Fax: 01773 857467 * Mob: 07824 893252 * Email: jackie@lockwoodgrp.co.uk

Thanks your a star.
    I will keep my fingers crossed they have changed the recipe but I'm not very optimistic about it.

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    We are constantly reviewing our products and seeing how we can improve them. I will put this point forward at our next production meeting.
    Maybe more of us should get in touch. If they see enough of a demand for the product to become vegan, there is more of a chance something will be done about it. Supply and demand, and all that

All their burgers, sausages and new products all have egg!! drives me mad.. I don't like bean burgers (much)! I am sure they could make their new veggie range with out eggs if they wanted, I blame Quorn for all of this.

Quote yoshi8 View Post
    All their burgers, sausages and new products all have egg!! drives mad.. I don't like bean burgers (much)! I am sure they could make their new veggie range with out eggs if they wanted, I blame Quorn for all of this.
    It is very depressing to walk around Tesco, checking labels only to find that unnecessary animal products are in there

On the plus side, I just got back and they are now selling fresh Oatly along side soya milk in the fridges, and its on offer at the moment (30 pence off).

It is annoying. I live next door to a huge Tesco Extra with a very large vegetarian section. Unfortunately very few of the items are suitable. It's a brilliant range for veggies, but they're missing out on a big market by adding eggs into everything.