Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco

Zero

Default Re: Tesco

Quote sandra View Post
    Was their suffering any less than the poor turtles?..........in some ways it might have been far worse.
    In suffering all are equal (at least thats my view).

Therefore I agree with your first statement Sandra. Whether it is turtles, foie gras, dairy cows, lamb's slaughtered it is all a part of the meat industry process and no one part of it is significantly different (or worse) than any other part.

To say that one form of animal exploitation is bad and focus on it solely; is to at least partially reinforce other types of animal exploitation as okay, for example campaigns against foie gras have consistently made meat eaters feel better about eating their "free range chicken" (or other supposed ethical meat).

The result is death displacement not lives saved.

The best form of activism will always be promoting veganism and making it more mainstream and accepted.

cobweb

Quote Zero View Post

The best form of activism will always be promoting veganism and making it more mainstream and accepted.

my view exactly.

Quote Zero View Post
    I'm not so sure. I'd much prefer people to be buying free range chicken than from more intensive farming methods, although I'm well aware that it would not be sustainable for everyone to do this. However not everyone will. Awareness will slowly increase. I doubt that many omnis will even consider going vegan but many might consider buying free range. If we try to make massive changes many people will just dismiss everthing we say. I feel that babysteps will get us to our goal quicker.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Quote Zero View Post

Therefore I agree with your first statement Sandra.

I think you and I agree ENTIRELY Zero. I wasn't saying that one animal's suffering was greater or lesser than anothers. Infact my whole post was pointing this out, was it not? I shop at Tesco because I see it as hypocritical to not shop there and yet shop at a health food store that sells animal products too.

They all suffer. I think my statement saying, 'Was their suffering any less than the poor turtles?' was meant to be taken as 'No, it wasn't'
    I added the 'In some ways it might have been far worse' only in respect that some animals suffer longer than others. Dairy cows live for up to 5 years being expoited whereas the turtles experience, although no less painful, probably doesn't last quite so long.

To me the length of time is not really a factor either, I was just trying to point out to ajg67, that boycotting Tesco for one example of cruelty and not another is slightly hypocritical.

I also agree with you that making veganism more mainstream is the only way forward. That is why I am against totally boycotting companies...........if any of their products are vegan, then I will use them and let them know this fact. It is only by encouraging companies and letting them see there is a market for vegan products that any change will happen. Dare I say if evil L'Oreal were to bring out a product that isn't tested on animals or contained any animal ingredients, I would use it!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Zero

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    I'm not so sure. I'd much prefer people to be buying free range chicken than from more intensive farming methods, although I'm well aware that it would not be sustainable for everyone to do this. However not everyone will. Awareness will slowly increase. I doubt that many omnis will even consider going vegan but many might consider buying free range. If we try to make massive changes many people will just dismiss everthing we say. I feel that babysteps will get us to our goal quicker.
    Given that free range is something of a myth in the main because it generally just means that far too many animals are crammed into one large shed rather than individual cages, I certainly don't prefer it if people buy free range because it simply promotes an idea that in the main does not exist; in order to make omni's feel better about killing animals in the first place, it is simply part of the "happy meat" delusion (some useful info is here).

To me making veganism more mainstream and accepted is not making massive changes, it is simply promoting what we already know to be true.

I believe that the "happy meat" movement actually hinders our cause, it does not lead to the end we are looking for and if we are serious about something the means must match the ends.

That's where I stand anyway

Quote sandra View Post
    They all suffer. I think my statement saying, 'Was their suffering any less than the poor turtles?' was meant to be taken as 'No, it wasn't'
    I thought that was what you were getting at Sandra, that's why referred to your question as more of a statement

Quote Zero View Post
    Given that free range is something of a myth in the main because it generally just means that far too many animals are crammed into one large shed rather than individual cages, I certainly don't prefer it if people buy free range because it simply promotes an idea that in the main does not exist; in order to make omni's feel better about killing animals in the first place, it is simply part of the "happy meat" delusion (some useful info is here).

To me making veganism more mainstream and accepted is not making massive changes, it is simply promoting what we already know to be true.

I believe that the "happy meat" movement actually hinders our cause, it does not lead to the end we are looking for and if we are serious about something the means must match the ends.

That's where I stand anyway

I thought that was what you were getting at Sandra, that's why referred to your question as more of a statement
    I pretty much agree with everything Zero has said, the 'happy meat' thing drives me up the wall!

If anyone starts extolling the virtues of it my favoured response is a quote I saw somewhere 'compassionate carnivore - puts the moron in oxymoron' because honestly, there ain't no such thing!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Zero View Post
    Therefore I agree with your first statement Sandra.
    I think this is the bit that confused me Zero. It sounds as if you agreed with my first statement but not my second one!

Zero

It was just the bit about it "could of been far worse" that i wasn't agreeing with, but I get where you are coming from now

xx

Quote Zero View Post
    Agreed. That's why I don't go along with the "you must buy your groceries from your local organic wholefoods shop and never go to supermarkets" - I don't like the idea of keeping "our" vegan products hidden away in little wholefoods shops away from the supermarkets - non-vegans stand much more chance of actually trying vegan food products and maybe buying them regularly (and realising they exist and are 'normal' enough to be sold in supermarkets) if they can pick them up during their normal shopping trip and don't have to go and search them out specially.

Quote Zero View Post
    To say that one form of animal exploitation is bad and focus on it solely; is to at least partially reinforce other types of animal exploitation as okay, for example campaigns against foie gras have consistently made meat eaters feel better about eating their "free range chicken" (or other supposed ethical meat).
    Yeah, it's like if there's an alternative that they perceive as slightly less bad than something that already exists, then that makes it good and guilt-free. I just noticed in a BBC article that Selfridges apparently sell their own brand of "welfare-friendly fois gras" () alongside the "traditional" fois gras. So I guess if there's a 'better' type of fois gras, that makes it good too...

From the article: "Five topless animal rights campaigners protested outside Selfridges in London urging it to stop selling foie gras. [...] Selfridges said all its stores offered a "welfare-friendly" alternative. [...]
    A spokeswoman for Selfridges said only a drop in sales would persuade it to reconsider its stance. "We sell both the traditional foie gras product which is being protested about and a welfare-friendly version which we have developed ourselves," she said."
    http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/
    http://twitter.com/cooking4vegans

Anyway, back on the subject of Tesco: I noticed a new product the other day which appears to be vegan and looks quite nice, Butternut and Cranberry roasts, they've got stuff like pumpkin seeds, chickpeas and maple syrup in them. Also the town centre one near my work had a tomato and vegetable pasta ready meal for a quid - I know you can make it at home for 20p, but they're microwaveable so I might try one for lunch at work if I fancy some hot food.
    http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/
    http://twitter.com/cooking4vegans

Quote derwenna View Post
    Anyway, back on the subject of Tesco: I noticed a new product the other day which appears to be vegan and looks quite nice, Butternut and Cranberry roasts, they've got stuff like pumpkin seeds, chickpeas and maple syrup in them. Also the town centre one near my work had a tomato and vegetable pasta ready meal for a quid - I know you can make it at home for 20p, but they're microwaveable so I might try one for lunch at work if I fancy some hot food.
    They're quite nice- not really my sort of thing because I don't like mixing fruit with savoury things much, but they're ok.

Why shop at tesco, where they dont give a damn about these things, when you can shop at sainsburys or the co-op which are faaaaaaaaaar more vegan-friendly???

Because for some people their local supermarket is a Tesco, they might have to travel for miles for another supermarket. Tesco are also generally alot cheaper than both sainsburys and co-op and they do different products so you might be able to get own brand vegan stuff that you can't get in other supermarkets. Personally I buy from them because they are not only cheap but also deliver.

Then you've got the whole buying vegan things encourages them to stock more argument and all that... Far too many reasons to mention really.

cobweb

he-he, we don't all live in Birmingham!!

A good point well made Risker. I try to take a pragmatic approach to life and I don't see why I should treat my veganism any differently. My veganism is based on the reality of of my life in Western Europe, not some nirvanic fantasy lifestyle living in a yurt halfway up a mountainside. One of the main obstacles cited for not being vegan is the alleged impracticality. This perception will only be enhanced by insisting on adherence to an 'approved' list of retailers.

Tesco are consistently cheaper, we have proved this time and time again so this isn't a just an unsubstantiated perception. The Tesco where we shop is about a quarter of a mile away and you can actually park, unlike the nearest Sainsburys which is far smaller, much less well stocked and beset with parking problems.

I also hope that in some small way my shopping habits, which I know are analysed via my loyalty card, will at least indicate that there is a demand.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

I've been buying organic fairtrade bananas from Lidl for 99p. Sainsburys organic nanas £1.59 maybe

And I guess the two have the same amount and around the same size nanas in them

Quote Jiffy View Post
    My veganism is based on the reality of of my life in Western Europe, not some nirvanic fantasy lifestyle living in a yurt halfway up a mountainside.
    Oh that's a quote and a half!
    "Slice it up and dig in.. let the funeral begin.."

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Quote derwenna View Post
    Teasco is discontinuing them, along with their chcken style nuggets and chicken style fillets.

I'm not a fan of Tesco, but go there for some things, as it has a Post Office.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Quote 1gentlemaorispirit View Post
    Teasco is discontinuing them, along with their chcken style nuggets and chicken style fillets.

I'm not a fan of Tesco, but go there for some things, as it has a Post Office.

My local one had the chicken dippers and the falafel reduced to clear tonight so I stocked up, I didn't notice the chicken fillets were though! I really like those, they're lovely in a curry. Dammit... does anyone know anywhere else that does something similar??

I went and got the last 9 packs of the chicken style fillets from my local Tesco... not sure what I'll do when they run out though

Im annoyed they are stopping selling those fillets as they are the only ones I know of

Dad saw some in Asda the other day but checked and said they had egg white in

Buddha Belly

I saw in a veggie mag that Provamel/ Alpro were due to be releasing chickens tyle nuggets and fillets. Hopefully Tesco are stopping theirs to stock them, wishfull thinking I know...

Be good if Alpro/Provamel do bring out some fillets or chunks as they are nice to chop up and mix in a mushroom/leek/creamy filling in puff pastry type thing - basically a pie

Buddha Belly

Saw them in Cook Vegetarian magazine. (they have recipes that are easily veganised). They are not on the Alpro/ Provamel website yet and I just dug out the advert to double check I was right. It is nuggets and schnitzel

Quote alisont View Post
    Im annoyed they are stopping selling those fillets as they are the only ones I know of

Dad saw some in Asda the other day but checked and said they had egg white in

I was in tesco yesterday and noticed that the meat free chicken style fillets had re-appeared, but on closer inspection they too now have egg in them.

My local tesco which is quite a large store now sell only one or two vegan friendly items in the freezer section - but it's mainly tesco's own stuff (non-vegan) and quorn. I'm going to write to Mr Tesco.

Quote KayJay View Post
    My local tesco which is quite a large store now sell only one or two vegan friendly items in the freezer section - but it's mainly tesco's own stuff (non-vegan) and quorn. I'm going to write to Mr Tesco.
    It really gets on my t*ts when I look in the vegetarian freezer section at Tesco as they have so much choice but like 99% is has egg or milk in it. Of their own make stuff I think chicken dippers are the only thing and the mince.

I would write but i can just see the smug response now. Basically there is not enough of us for them to give a hoot.

Vegetable fingers and vegetable quarter pounders are ok, they didn't use to be.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    I saw in a veggie mag that Provamel/ Alpro were due to be releasing chickens tyle nuggets and fillets. Hopefully Tesco are stopping theirs to stock them, wishfull thinking I know...
    I've tried both. They're ok, but a bit plain. Rather like quorn in breadcrumbs (for those who ever tried quorn before being vegan). They also tend to fall apart a bit easily.
    At least they are organic.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

We live almost next door to a Tesco Extra (super-big-massive one), and therefore do pretty much all of our shopping there. Their freezer section is a pretty big one for vegetarians, but (as it sounds with a lot of you guys on here) their vegan variety is rather lmited. There's some mince, Linda Mac sausages and pies, veggie fingers and some Tesco burgers; so better than a lot of places really. They also have frequent special offers with that stuff too. Would be nicer to have a larger range though.
    I like football. And potatoes.

Quote Risker View Post
    Vegetable fingers and vegetable quarter pounders are ok, they didn't use to be.
    neither of those in my local Tesco are vegan - does this mean these could be old stock? i seem to remember buying vegetable fingers a while ago and they were vegan, but then they added milk recently

Oh fudge I'd better check mine when I get back home. I'm pretty sure it was safe last time I checked a couple of motnhs back.
    I like football. And potatoes.

i work in tescos and ive nerver seen anything to this day labelled vegan (spare a few things in the new free from range but still they mostly say dairy free) makes lunches a pain in the arse!
    Crackers and fruit for me! hate the place......

Quote Sproutpout View Post
    i work in tescos and ive nerver seen anything to this day labelled vegan (spare a few things in the new free from range but still they mostly say dairy free) makes lunches a pain in the arse!
    Crackers and fruit for me! hate the place......
    Look in the freezer. One of the sorbets is labelled vegan... and I think that's it!

their nut cutlets are also marked as vegan!

The raspberry sorbet is labelled vegan and it's very nice.

I've sent a letter to Tesco so will keep you posted on the reply, if I get one!

They're vegetarian range is growing, I'm sure there's probably more choice in the tescos in england and such, possibly even down in dublin as they're stock changes by store, but there's loads here in town and then the big one where i work. Still though there's loads of quorn and linda mccartney stuff, some cauldron (well sausages and falafel) and tescos own meat free range. For vegans though its pretty much, if you cant buy the ingredients and make your own meal, then tough s**t basically.
    I was starving after like a 10 hour shift yesterday and i ended up with baked potatoes, a bean salad and some lettuce. Not much choice! I had that today also, i really hope they pick up cuz I've to wait till the start of the week to shop elsewhere.
    Asian market tomorrow!

Buddha Belly

Their labelling is good. Green V = vegetarian. White V = vegan
    Our local ones have got a little worse than before. We don't shop there that often, they do some hair stuff Helen likes so we nip in once every few months. In the last year the amount of vegan stuff has got less and less. The level of labeling has improved vastly but the choices are no longer there.
    Thankfully I do have the choice not to have to shop there so do not rely on it. Sorry for those that do.

At least it's not as bad as Iceland!!!

I was actually buying a bean salad from the deli counter for ages cuz we both really liked it and it goes well with a salad, i went up the other day cuz i fancied some and the lady was saying how simple it would actually be to make. Carrots, celery, black eyed beans and butter beans easy! right? Yeah well we mentioned the "mysterious sauce" and she said it "looked" like a french sauce. Needless to say i havent been buying it. They list cooking instructions and allergy warnigs (may contain nuts, soya etc...) No suitable for vegans, vegetarians. For a place that prides itself on its free from range, clearly labelling and constantly adding new stock and more choice for gluten free and lactose intolerant people. They should really start putting more labels and new lines for vegans!!!

*live*&*let*live

Hmmph just had my shopping delivery from there as had x2 vouchers and saved over £15 so couldn't be sniffed at. Thought that the beef style free from would be vegan, its not, its veggie. Not much selection for vegan food but good offers on the veg/fruit this week. Got a massive box of frozen berries for £1 and two melons for £2, also got several other offers too. Shop via my supermarket.com and collect i points whilst comparing your trolley to Asda, Sainsbury's and Ocado (think this was Waitrose?) doesn't include Morrisons as you cannot shop online with them yet. :smile:

Quote Sproutpout View Post
    They list cooking instructions and allergy warnigs (may contain nuts, soya etc...) No suitable for vegans, vegetarians. For a place that prides itself on its free from range, clearly labelling and constantly adding new stock and more choice for gluten free and lactose intolerant people. They should really start putting more labels and new lines for vegans!!!
    For some reason when supermarkets don't have to legally label products they never do. I don't really get why, perhaps it's so that when they run out of an ingredient they can use whatever they can find lying around.

I wrote to co-op recently to ask them why their in store baked donuts didn't list ingredients, their answer was more or less simply - because we don't have to.

Yeah I see what you mean, I never buy from the in store bakery or deli anymore. Well unless im getting sundried tomatoes at the deli, I'd much rather be able to read the ingredients. Most restaurants list things like, contains: milk, eggs, soya, fish, nuts etc... it just anoys me that a massive chain supermarket cant!

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Their labelling is good. Green V = vegetarian. White V = vegan
    i have to disagree with you there. in my experience, their vegetarian labelling is fairly good, but vegan labelling is almost non-existent, even on products that are obviously vegan - these are usually just labelled veggie. the nut cutlets are about the only product of theirs i've found with this elusive white V.

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    Thought that the beef style free from would be vegan, its not, its veggie. Not much selection for vegan food
    you really have to check the ingredients of these things. they've sneaked egg and milk into nearly all their own-brand veggie range. i still haven't found their chicken-style fillets locally anywhere.

*live*&*let*live

Unfortunately with shopping online, it makes it difficult to check ingredients. I looked for the fillets that you refer to and I couldn't see them online either. Don't know the point of developing something if it's not available to distribute and purchase!

i know, if i'm shopping online and they haven't listed the ingredients on the website, i won't buy the product.

I've noticed that on alot of products lists veggie when it looks vegan and then theres a bit at the bottom which says contains milk and egg products. Strange cuz its not in the actualy ingredients so i wonder how they slip it in there without having to list it in the ingredients ??

I think they just put that because of the risk of cross contamination

*live*&*let*live

Just nipped in to my local Tesco Metro for some mustard. Was standing in line to pay and was looking through the ad board. SOOOOO many animals for sale that I was shaking my head in sadness. I then noticed that someone was selling pups from a Staffy, the father was a ......Jack Russell! I did a double take and thought how on earth?! It was sad to think of all those poor animals being sold as commodities but it did bring a smile to my face thinking about a little Jack Russell standing on a stool 'to do the deed'!

Just had a letter from Tesco in response to my letter regarding the lack of vegan option in their stores. They just said that they have passed my response to their Buying Department (put it in the bin more like!)

What a waste of time.