Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Tesco

Default Re: Tesco

Tesco are now selling Delamere Vanilla & Chocolate shakes, I just tried the Vanilla and I quite liked it.

My local tesco are selling these at half price (59p). I've lost count as to how many of the chocolate shakes I've downed in the last fortnight!

I just discovered this week that my local Tesco store stocks Swedish Glace Smooth Vanilla Non Dairy Dessert (ice cream alternative) @ £2.20 per tub, which is £1.11 cheaper than I paid recently when I bought all the flavours in the range from Goodness Direct.

As the current Tesco Summer Clubcard Voucher Exchange promotion includes the opportunity to exchange £5.00 of Clubcard vouchers for £10 worth of tokens to spend on frozen food, I exchanged £15 for £30 worth to spend on the Swedish Glace.

So, effectively, each tub cost me only £1.10 ( I would say £0.00, but I could have used my Clubcard vouchers to purchase other items), which I consider to be excellent value.

It is a shame that Tesco do not stock the other Swedish Glace Non Dairy Dessert flavours - Raspberry, Rich Chocolate, Wild Blueberry and Neapolitan. I liked them all, but the Rich Chocolate just edged into top spot for me, and the Wild Blueberry was in the wooden spoon position.

Tesco do stock the Bessant & Drury's Chocolate Dairy Free Frozen Dessert, but that costs £4.69, and the tub contains only 500ml compared to the 750ml of the Rich Chocolate Swedish Glace.

I have bought 2 of the Bessant & Drury's to try (only cost me £2.35 using the Clubcard Exchange promotion), as Tesco had only 10 of the Swedish Glace Smooth Vanilla in stock, but I will be extremely surprised if they are as delicious as the Swedish Glace equivalent.

I have tried the Bessant & Drury's Lemon Dairy Free Frozen Dessert (which I bought from Goodness Direct), and that was delicious, but I still preferred the Swedish Glace range for taste and texture - as good as, if not better than, any dairy ice cream I had eaten prior to becoming a vegan.

The Bessant & Drury chocolate coconut ice cream is on offer at Tesco, I think it was £3.29 instead of £4.69.

They have also started selling Yutaka Silken Tofu (its about time, they stopped selling Blue Dragon ages ago)

Actually, as I expected, I didn't like the Bessant & Drury chocolate "ice cream" as much as the Swedish Glace chocolate version, and you get more for your money with the latter.

At the moment Goodness Direct are offering me, as a regular customer, 10% discount off orders placed during their Mid Week Madness promotion, and so I will include some of the Swedish Glace chocolate "ice cream" in my order today.

I don't know if you're near a H&B but they're doing buy one get one half price on everything which is a better deal.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    I don't know if you're near a H&B but they're doing buy one get one half price on everything which is a better deal.
    Many thanks for the info, but, unfortunately, I do not live near an H&B.

^ It's okay, their freezer would have been broken anyway.

Quote BilTan View Post
    Actually, as I expected, I didn't like the Bessant & Drury chocolate "ice cream" as much as the Swedish Glace chocolate version, and you get more for your money with the latter.

At the moment Goodness Direct are offering me, as a regular customer, 10% discount off orders placed during their Mid Week Madness promotion, and so I will include some of the Swedish Glace chocolate "ice cream" in my order today.
    I'm not sure if you boycott Unilever or not (a lot of Vegans do) but they have bought Swedish Glace

Quote Firestorm View Post
    I'm not sure if you boycott Unilever or not (a lot of Vegans do) but they have bought Swedish Glace
    Well, if we're going down that route then there's also the Goodness Direct - Jesus Army link.

Quote Risker View Post
    Well, if we're going down that route then there's also the Goodness Direct - Jesus Army link.
    Good point, I'm not saying people should or should not boycott unilever (I don't but do tend to avoid them most of the time), but I know a lot of Vegans choose to and thought I would pass on the info

Tesco have just started selling 2 new Vegan biscuits (doesn't state Vegan on pack but there are no animal ingredients and no "May contain traces of milk either")

Oakland Golden Creams

Oakland Jam Cream Rings

Omg the golden creams! That's really exciting, thanks Firestorm. Have you tried them yet?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

I've got a pack but have not tried them yet, I'm currently working through some Lotus biscuits and then I've also got some Anna's Cappuccino Thins & Chocolate Orange Thins that I found in B&M's first. Then I will start on the Golden Creams.

As a side note about Tesco they have started selling Linda McCartney Red Onion & Rosemary Sausages and a 4 pack of Lemon/Strawberry & Raspberry Sorbets that appear Vegan

Quote Ribbon View Post
    Omg the golden creams! That's really exciting, thanks Firestorm. Have you tried them yet?
    I ate 4 last night. They were very very good

I can confirm that the Jam Cream Rings are gooood... Too good! The whole packet has mysteriously disappeared.

The golden creams are sooo goood, I also grabbed some jam cream rings but I haven't tried them yet!
    I like the delamere shakes, pretty handy also
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

I don't know if it was a mistake or if all Tescos are doing it, but today we bought 12 PACKETS of 6 Linda McCartney sausages because they were 49p each! (We bought every packet in the freezer!) I suggest you check your local Tesco ASAP...

Are the golden creams anything like foxs crunch creams? Ohhh I used to love them!

They are very similar. Just excellent

I was actually considering walking about an hour and a half round trip (closest Tesco) just to sample these biscuits.

Think I have decided against it / realised that checking into a cookie clinic would be more beneficial for long-term health.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote Gwydion View Post
    I was actually considering walking about an hour and a half round trip (closest Tesco) just to sample these biscuits.

Think I have decided against it / realised that checking into a cookie clinic would be more beneficial for long-term health.
    You'd walk off most of the calories ! Would it be feasible to get Tesco to deliver just a couple of packets of biscuits? Or get some benevolent vegans to sed you some! I'm about two countries away from a Tesco (3 if you count Andorra!) so I'm of little help. Although if anyone ever wants to do a food swap with me I'd be open to that!
    Houmous atá ann!

Haha, good point. Could be like a reward for such strenuous exercise ;-)

Delivery would be infeasible I fear. You probably couldn't walk to your closest Tesco then, food swap could be fun though!

Quote Gwydion View Post
    Food swap could be fun though!
    If anyone wants to do a swap just PM me, I've never done one before, it looks fun!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Gwydion View Post
    Haha, good point. Could be like a reward for such strenuous exercise ;-)

Delivery would be infeasible I fear. You probably couldn't walk to your closest Tesco then, food swap could be fun though!
    My local Tesco is about 15 minutes away and they sell the Golden Crunch and The Jam Rings, if you want some I will happily post them to you

Haha, you are too kind FS!

Nah, if I want them that badly - I need to get off my lazy ass and put in the effort

Been a while since I shopped online from Tesco but they seem to have made some improvements. You can now just search for the word vegan and 326 products come up, I've had a quick look and they all look vegan to me.

According to their site they are now selling Tofutti: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=266451922

i wouldn't get too excited about their labelling of vegan products.. according to them cheese is now vegan

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=259469618

Sweeet, have been gagging to try those for ages!

Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you all know about the recent the issues I have had with Tesco's and I can see I'm not the only one to be in contact with them over their incorrect labelling of vegan products. The other day I happened to look at a packet of Tesco's own brand savoury cheese balls, to see what their vegetarian logo was like and to my suprise there was a vegan logo on the back of the packet. Thinking I had got the logos mixed up I checked on the Tesco's website for clarification and I was correct, the vegan logo had been put onto these cheese balls. Also printed on the packet was the standard allergy advice : Contains MILK! I called Tesco customer service and explained to the call handler my discovery, and that I was vegan, to which I had the response " Oh...here we go again" and then ........... THE PHONE WENT DEAD. I'd been cut off! I was fuming that someone would disregard my beliefs and hang up on me. I called back again and spoke to another call handler who seemed sympathetic and said she would pass my complaint on to the stores to remove the product from the shelves.

When I got home I emailed Tesco's customer services, so I had my complaint logged in black and white, and later that day I had a telephone call from a female on the Tesco complaints team. During the conversation the female informed me that my last two telephone calls hadn't even been logged despite both call handlers taking my details, so their claim that they would contact the store to have the products removed subsequently did not happen. The female gave me her ID and reference number and said she was going to be in immediate contact with the 'back up team', whoever they are, who would contact the suppliers where she believed the mistake had been made. The female agreed to call me back as soon as she had an answer regarding the labelling of the product.

I then needed to go shopping for something else and went to Tesco's where I discovered other products labelled vegan which clearly contained milk and cheese. I also found a product which was labelled vegan on the back but vegetarian on the front!!

The following day I recieved the phone call from the customer complaints team and I was extremely disappointed with the result. The call handler said the 'back up team' would not be taking the items off the shelf as they did not state 'suitable for vegans' on the packet, which none of Tesco's products do anyway hence why I had previously trusted their vegan logo (glad I don't just rely on the labelling and am able to read the ingredients and understand them as the misleading logo isn't enough to recall product). The call handler was very good and sympathetic but could offer no short term resolution. What she advised me to do was get as many names from people who may be concerned about the incorrect labelling of Tesco products and write to their head office, as to get labelling changed by approaching them alone wouldn't carry as much weight as getting a number of people on board.

If I could get as many replies as possible from anyone who has had previous issues with Tesco's and their vegetarian/vegan labelling system I will write to them and reference this link, and hopefully we can try and get more consistent labelling on all of their products and prevent us vegans eating foods that are against our beliefs by mistakenly believing misleading labelling. I know it is always safe to look at the ingredients and that is something I have always done and will always do, I just feel that if Tesco's have made the effort to create and use a vegan logo they should be using it correctly - I'd rather they didn't bother having one if it is used incorrectly!

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks xxxxxx

What is the labelling system you're referring to?

EDIT: Ah, I see, the one mentioned of the first page of this thread. I think they dropped that labelling system ages ago, not sure it ever really took off tbh.
    Last edited by Risker; Dec 7th, 2012 at 10:17 PM.

To be fair I think that is something they should take very seriously.. if someone has an allergy to dairy or another animal based product and picks up something Tesco have labelled as vegan and fall ill as a result of it then they could have some serious problems on their hands. It's false advertising which we know is illegal, selling something disguised as something else

Hi, Its the labelling system on the tesco real food website, white v in green background for vegan and black v in green background for vegetarian. The lady I spoke to informed me this system still applies. Not sure they really know what they are doing with it though. Here is the link if your curious what it looks like. http://realfood.tesco.com/media/docs...862198f8-0.pdf

Hi dxt1, I raised that point about allergies, but I just got well it says contains milk!!!! not the fact if it is labelled VEGAN it shouldnt contain milk. Yes that is a good point about false advertising. Thanks for your reply

They have started selling Vivesoy soya milk. I found it in the UHT section of my local small tesco. They had all the flavours, plain, unsweetened, chocolate, cappuccino and vanilla. I grabbed the cappuccino and chocolate, only tried the cappuccino and it's really nice.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=276762389
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

Quote megrainbows View Post
    They have started selling Vivesoy soya milk. I found it in the UHT section of my local small tesco. They had all the flavours, plain, unsweetened, chocolate, cappuccino and vanilla. I grabbed the cappuccino and chocolate, only tried the cappuccino and it's really nice.

I like the sound of that cappuccino one!

Tesco are selling Rankin Irish Barmbrack, the company have confirmed that its suitable for vegans

friendly fri

Tofutti is nothing these days, to what it was in the 1990s. And many thanks Steph for the heads up on this absurd company`s obscenely poor labelling.

- - - Updated - - -

Good value Louise abel!!
    :D :)

Does anyone know if these are definitely vegan as the type of vitamin D isn't specified and looking through all the information on their website they don't say they're vegan which I find a bit suspicious. I've emailed them to ask but wondered if anyone was ahead of me?

I've had a reply and is seems to be good news

Hi R

Thank you for your email regarding whether Vivesoy is suitable for vegans. The good news is that it is suitable - the vitamins are synthetic and non animal in origin. You are right, we didn't put anything on the packs and will address this for our next reprint of the tetra paks. Also trying to get Vegan Society approval which will help!

I hope you enjoy the range and please let us know what you think.

Regards

Simon Baxter
    Commercial and Trade Marketing Director
    Vivejoy UK Ltd

I got the same reply about ten minutes ago!

Group email to all the suspicious vegans

I can confirm that the Cappuccino one is delicious! Its very good for making custard with as well (although no sugar is needed as its sweet enough)

Quote Ribbon View Post
    I've had a reply and is seems to be good news

Hi R

Thank you for your email regarding whether Vivesoy is suitable for vegans. The good news is that it is suitable - the vitamins are synthetic and non animal in origin. You are right, we didn't put anything on the packs and will address this for our next reprint of the tetra paks. Also trying to get Vegan Society approval which will help!

I hope you enjoy the range and please let us know what you think.

Regards

Simon Baxter
    Commercial and Trade Marketing Director
    Vivejoy UK Ltd
    Heya ribbon, thanks for posting that! Vivesoy is a pretty common brand of soya milk here is Spain, I've avoided it because I was suspicious but it's good to know that it's now an option!
    Houmous atá ann!

I guess everybody has heard about Tescos putting horse meat into beef burgers it makes you wonder what else is put into food which isn't listed. I have created a petition to try and make the government to make this sort of thing illegal:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/44677

I'm not too sure I'd want this. The flavoured versions are crammed full of artificial sweeteners...

Not currently a vegan

Well this is anoying the link to TESCO
    that is suposed to sho the V for Veg or Vegan
    redirect me here =S and i find this realy annoying
    http://www.tescodiets.com/index.cfm?...ps&ck_gender=f
    i mean come on wtf is with that?
    and as im new to vegansim
    may i ask
    is TESCO a VEGAN freindly co in general
    as in do they suport animal testing?
    or are they kind to the enviroment
    and how is their treatement to the animal they sell as food ?

and can i trust tesco or any other corp?
    probly not imo

Skasha

Hello everyone,
    I went to Tesco and asked about the bread for knowing if it has any milk in it. They told me that mostly all of them have milk. I've checked in the Tesco vegan list and apparently they're ok for vegans. It could be the answer of someone who didn't wanted to have problems with someone who could be allergic to milk?
    The thing is I'd already left a bakery where l like buying bread. I asked the same question and they told me all the bread have milk. I am now worried about this, where do you buy your bread?
    Last edited by Jara; Mar 20th, 2013 at 07:34 PM.

Hi, I usually make my own bread but recently I have been short of time and have been buying Cranks bread from the Co-op - not the one with honey obviously! Prewrapped bread is a bit easier obviously because the wrapping lists the ingredients.

You're probably right though that Tesco people may be thinking about the possibility of cross-contamination etc.