Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco

Default Re: Tesco

Just had a letter from Tesco in response to my letter regarding the lack of vegan option in their stores. They just said that they have passed my response to their Buying Department (put it in the bin more like!)

What a waste of time.

*live*&*let*live

I had a major paddy in the freezer aisle at the weekend, and showed my OH up....
    Nothing, not ONE bloody thing, NOT ONE did you get that?! Nothing for vegans, so I got rather loud on purpose...I shouted about the fact they had aisles and aisles of dead animals but nothing for vegans. The vegetarian section was a tiny corner too!!! I got a few strange looks, OH asked me to 'please be quiet' but I was sooo pissed off....

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    I had a major paddy in the freezer aisle at the weekend, and showed my OH up....
    Nothing, not ONE bloody thing, NOT ONE did you get that?! Nothing for vegans, so I got rather loud on purpose...I shouted about the fact they had aisles and aisles of dead animals but nothing for vegans. The vegetarian section was a tiny corner too!!! I got a few strange looks, OH asked me to 'please be quiet' but I was sooo pissed off....
    It is beyond ridiculous. They dont have a vegan section but they have a polish and asian section

*live*&*let*live

And a halal section I believe (tho don't quote me) which is what I said. I'm all for diversity but throw a bit to include us!

Zero

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    I'd write them a well constructed letter if I were you, I know it's frustrating when they don't have anything for vegans but it's probably going to have more effect than just shouting about it in the middle of the store.

Most of their stores carry vegan stuff, so perhaps encourage them to follow suit.

Myself and a couple others recently wrote letters asking for our local one to start stocking cheezly and swedish glace again (as they had discontinued them) it is now back on the shelves.

I do think there should be more vegan foods, but I just don't want it to be at the expence of the 'Ethnic Foods' section... heck, I buy half my spices and beans down there as they are better stocked.

My problem is more about their p*ss poor lables, as I'm sure there is a lot of vegan stuff that just isn't noted as such.

Oh well, we are getting a huge Asda in a few years times in my town
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Buddha Belly

I had a hissy fit in Tescos too when I last went to the freezer section and found bloody nothing at all.

Quote KayJay View Post

Just found these chicken style fillets in my local tesco, labelled vegan & they also do chicken style dippers!
    Are these still available?
    I just noticed my local Tescos had brand new chicken style steaks in and i was just about jumpin around with happiness untill i checked the ingredients...........the dreaded egg white!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    I just noticed my local Tescos had brand new chicken style steaks in and i was just about jumpin around with happiness untill i checked the ingredients...........the dreaded egg white!
    Had the same experience myself. It gave me a sad
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Had the same experience myself. It gave me a sad
    Along with their veggie hot dogs and burgers, all cheap and newish, none of them vegan.
    It's bad enough having shelves full of Quorn stuff that looks ok but i'm not gonna eat, let alone ANOTHER freezer packed full of their own brand that looks even better...............but i'm not gonna eat!
    Frustrating and annoying!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

*live*&*let*live

Quote Zero View Post
    I'd write them a well constructed letter if I were you, I know it's frustrating when they don't have anything for vegans but it's probably going to have more effect than just shouting about it in the middle of the store.

Most of their stores carry vegan stuff, so perhaps encourage them to follow suit.

Myself and a couple others recently wrote letters asking for our local one to start stocking cheezly and swedish glace again (as they had discontinued them) it is now back on the shelves.
    I wasn't quite throwing my toys out of the pram! But I was a bit loud
    I think you are right about the letter, I will write one to all the supermarkets as we have them all here where I am and I do tend to mix and match. I was in a very large store, but apparently they do have larger so will try that one, but is quite a way away. May be worth it for vegan stuff.

Quote gogs67 View Post
    This is what I was looking for Gogs - see post above. (the ones in the pic)
    nada, zilch, zero, nil....mmmhhh!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Along with their veggie hot dogs and burgers, all cheap and newish, none of them vegan.
    It's bad enough having shelves full of Quorn stuff that looks ok but i'm not gonna eat, let alone ANOTHER freezer packed full of their own brand that looks even better...............but i'm not gonna eat!
    Frustrating and annoying!
    Yeah them and Morrisons have brought out a few things, I made the mistake and purchased a few Tesco stuff on line as it said meat free....egg and milk in them! OH eating them. But still annoying. Morrisons mince is free from everything even mince!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    No they discontinued the ones in the picture a little while back

Zero

I've never seen those before that gogs pointed out!

I used to be able to get those breaded "chicken style dipper" things which were really good but they don't seem to be selling those now either, urrgghh.

The ones in the pic that I originally posted were vegan, but now they've added egg white. They were very nice too so I've no idea why they had to ruin them : (

Quote Zero View Post
    I've never seen those before that gogs pointed out!

I used to be able to get those breaded "chicken style dipper" things which were really good but they don't seem to be selling those now either, urrgghh.
    The dippers were discontinued at the same time as the fillets, and the falafel... I know cos I've got a freezer drawer full of the 3 of them, which I bought when they were reduced.

Walsgrave Tesco (Cov), Frozen cabinet.
    Nut Roast, stuffing balls and gravy in a box! Labelled as Vegan. Not tried it yet, just a heads up!

I've a box of that in my freezer at the moment Bignige! It's my 4th box............I LOVE it.
    The onion gravy is lovely with the stuffing balls (why does that make me giggle? ...............probably because in my head I'm still 10 )
    and the nut roast is quite nice although not my favourite part of it!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

We bought one and were a bit disappointed. The gravy sachet went in the bin as we always make gravy. We thought it would serve 2, but seemed to be a single portion. The nut roast itself tasted OK, but nothing special. Would only buy again out of desperation.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

We liked the gravy and the stuffing, but the nut roast wasn't all that. Gravy and stuffing are easy and cheap to prepare, though, and normal nut cutlets are nicer and you get 4 for the same price, so it's a bit pointless.

Trouble is that it won't sell, and then Tesco can use it to say there's no demand for vegan food.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Mr Flibble, the onion gravy is surprisingly nice............I usually make my own gravy too but tried this one and we all thought it was lovely although a bit thin.

RebeccaDye

DID YOU KNOW: 1 in every 8 pounds spent in British shops is spent in Tesco! Crazy!

WARNING:
    Their most recent Suitable For Vegans list (Sept 2009) contains an inaccuracy:
    G78BE - KIDS SWEETS, Strawberry Laces., 58504652
    contain Beeswax as a glazing agent. It may also mean that Strawberry Lances, 58504560. Cola Lances., 58504600. Apple Laces., 58504681 are similarly affected.

I've mailed them about this and await a response
    Last edited by vegcurry; Oct 29th, 2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo

The Lurker

Quote vegcurry View Post
    WARNING:
    Their most recent Suitable For Vegans list (Sept 2009) contains an inaccuracy:
    G78BE - KIDS SWEETS, Strawberry Laces., 58504652
    contain Beeswax as a glazing agent. It may also mean that Strawberry Lances, 58504560. Cola Lances., 58504600. Apple Laces., 58504681 are similarly affected.

I've mailed them about this and await a response

aargh! Is this a change or has it always been so?

I've definately had the cola and strawberry laces in the recent past Was no beeproduct in the ingredient list

"I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I was very excited to see the word 'vegan' under the 'V' on some things in Tesco last week. I haven't been in there for a while and this is new to me. (And I'm so pleased it doesn't say 'vegetarian and vegan', it just says 'vegan' )
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

What did you see it on? I think I've only ever seen it on some sorbet.

I was having a peruse of this and I noticed it says on page 6 "Chilled Fresh Cream Cakes - Strawberry Tart"

Are they really suitable? I don't go to Tesco that often, so I'm just wondering if anybody could shed any light on this?

Cheers.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

^ i had a look at their online shop but they only had strawberry tarts which obviously had cream in them. it seems like a mistake to me...
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I finally got a reply back from Tesco about the mislabelling I mentioned earlier.

"Hi ******

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me and I'm very sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I really appreciate you taking the time to bring the issue of the kids sweets being suitable for vegans to my attention and I sincerely apologise for this misleading information.

There appears to have been an error as there are two versions of this product produced by us, one which does contain beeswax and one which doesn't. The product which doesn't contain beeswax is currently only sold in our European stores, but this has accidentally been picked up as being suitable for vegans when the list was produced for the products sold in our UK stores. We are in the process of correcting this and updating our lists to reflect this.

We also are looking into sourcing a beeswax free product for sale in the UK and hope this is something that we can offer in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to bring this to our attention and I apologise again for any upset and annoyance this has caused.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES6950798X.

Kind Regards

Lisa Grassie
    Customer Service Manager
    Tesco Customer Service"

Just found these, looks like vegan pasties to me.

http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/6/xpi59398256.htm

Nice find. Disappointing that they felt the need to add e102 and e110 colourings to a pasty! I guess that's instead of an egg glaze to make it golden coloured.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I think I have had those pasties somewhere other than Tesco, and thought they were quite good, though not exactly health food of course

I love a good Pattie. Sainsbury's used to sell some really hot ones a few years back, so I'll have to pop to Tesco and try these.

Has anyone found the green thai curry veggie pots? They're in the fresh section, labelled vegan on underside. They seem to be a copy of the coca cola (innocent) ones, are cheaper (£2.50) and actually quite pleasant.

I hadn't but will have a look for them this week.

That's two new things I'll be seeking out tomorrow in Tesco!

Last edited by Risker; Feb 10th, 2010 at 06:33 PM.

daveshorty

Does anyone know if Tesco have discontinued their lovely spicy tomato cous-cous pots? I miss them

Linda Mac sausages are half price at the moment, until 3/5 I think. And all the veggie stuff is 2-for-£3 or something like that until September. Hopefully that'll make more people buy the veggie stuff instead of meat.
    I like football. And potatoes.

Read the latest vegan list back and forth 2 times. Do I understand it right that none of the tescos own brand soy milks are vegan? Yeah, the value one is pretty dodgy, but I'm pretty sure the normal sweetened one has "suitable for vegetarians and vegans" on the packaging. Confused :/
    "Let he among us without sin be the first to condemn..
    Viva La Vie Boheme!!

Not being on a list does not make something non vegan, it just makes the list incomplete

yeah, that's why I was confused - makes you question how correct the list is?
    Viva La Vie Boheme!!

I've a carton of it in the fridge and it states it's suitable for vegans on it.

I just use the lists as a guide............I ALWAYS double check an item anyway myself just incase human error is involved or write to Tesco for confirmation if I'm unsure.

Tesco Value soya milk used to be certified organic, they didn't make a big deal about it on the packaging, it just had a little certification logo. But it doesn't seem to be organic anymore. Also, didn't Tesco once confirm that they wouldn't be using GM ingredients in any of their own-brand produce? If they've gone back on that pledge, I guess their own-brand soya milk could be made with GM beans?
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

It states on the carton that the soya beans are 'non genetically modified'.

Phew! I reckon all plant milks should now have 'badger friendly' stickers on them!
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Troutina View Post
    I found out today that Tescos in fact do 'label' their products. Basically, the circle with the V in it, if the background is green it is vegetarian, and if the background is white then its vegan...
    WHAT IS THE POINT!?
    JUST WRITE VEGAN ON IT!?
    Idiots. Though I suppose it is one step closer...
    Its better than some supermarkets as they don't even label anything Vegan..even if it is

Can someone tell me how to get a hold of their vegan list? Do you email them and ask for it or something like that? Or can someone just post one here? I mean that the one posted above is valid until may and i know how tesco love changing their recipes
    Viva La Vie Boheme!!

You can contact them on this email address and request their vegan list Annie. I've always found them very helpful when I contact them about vegan matters.

customer.service@tesco.co.uk