Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco

Default Re: Tesco vegan product list

Wow we have a list of 3 now

I emailed them the other day to gently remind them that they should be labelling more of their products. I did have a mini-rant at them first though about the dead fish on the front page of their website.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote puffin View Post
    Wow we have a list of 3 now
    A couple more things to add:

Flapjacks - with or without raisins (both are very nice). Last time I looked, they were near the boxed cake slices, but I originally found them in the crumpet/pancake/muffin section opposite.

Organic seeded petit pain, homebake, pack of two - delicious! Especially dunked in veggie soup, I find.

Edit: The flapjacks are organic, too.
    Lisa: "Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?"
    Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness." ~ Matt Groening, The Simpsons

Demon

Thier Bubble & Sqeak is fine too. Not even any additives.

Oh I love Bubble & Squeak, I like it fried! I'm going to get some tomorrow, thank you.

The lemon and raspberry sorbets are now labelled as vegan. I think the raspberry one used to have milk in, but now doesn't. I've also spotted vegan garlic bread there, although it isn't labelled.

I saw that bread too derwenna, it's the slices isn't it?

annoyed

Default Tesco helpline - not to be trusted

I was trying to find out if the Vegan Society's 'Animal Free Shopper' had been improved after it listed Tesco's jam doughnuts (from bakery) as vegan (when they were not) and I cam across an old thread ( http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...t=11316&page=3 )

Some people have suggested checking with Tesco - however, it seems that Tesco are more interested in money than honesty:

I had a RECENT copy of their 'products suitable for a vegan' list and not long afterwards (due to the possibility of ingredient changes) I phoned the helpline to check whether the doughnuts were still vegan. I was told they were not vegan and the operator seemed surprised I'd said 'still' vegan - because they were apparently never vegan.

I also wanted to check their tinned spaghetti on a seperate occasion and was told that it was not vegan either, despite being listed. So either the helpline operator and the person who responded to my e-mail were lying, or the list was false - either way, information given by Tesco is false. Perhaps the vegan labelling is more honest because it's so public though.

Default Grrr Tesco!

They've stopped stocking Linda McCartney food! All of it!
    Instead they've put their own versions and quorn in there and one or two Realeat items. The only things a vegan can now purchase from the freezer section are Realeat mince & Tesco's own Nut Cutlets.
    I was mightly gutted when wanting a quick sausage sarnie to see nothing there. It's not just the shop near me, it's online too.
    You know, it was bad enough when they stopped stocking the vegan mayo and the 'Free From' section has gone from bad to worse.

I thought veganism was getting a bit more attention for a while, just a fluke!
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 14th, 2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

cobweb

Default Re: Grrr Tesco!

Yes, I am just about to contact Tesco and tell then why I no longer shop with them (please do the same!). It's so annoying that all their own brand stuff has egg/milk in it .
    My local used to stock Plamil mayonnaise, Realeat 'chicken' pieces, Linda M's pies, s.rolls and sausages (we occasionally still get the sausages ) and Swedish Glace - this is all disappearing now .
    I know we can live without this crap but I have a vegan child who doesn't agree .
    I'm going to give them a ticking off today, and also e-mail Morrisons, where I now shop (a 50 mile round trip! ) to thank them for the Vegideli slices, Sedish Glace, full range of Linda M's stuff, and Rice Crackle bars, Plamil bars, and Whizzers sweets .

If you have an email address for them I'll contact them and give them an earful!
    I forgot about Realeat's 'chicken' pieces, they've been gone for at least a year

I totally agree with you about Morrisons, they choice for vegans is excellent!
    We only shop at Tesco now for the cats food & litter (I have to buy 10 bags of litter, 170 tins of food & 4 large bags of dry food a month, so Tesco delivery is the best option!) but for our own food we go to Morrisons.

cobweb

Blimey how many cats do you have there?.

Hmm, even more annoying, they don't seem to have an e-mail address so I'm going to have to write to them. I think I will write to the branch manager aswell .

I'd noticed that Linda McCartney stuff was on the decline at Tesco and Sainsbury's, being slowly replaced by Quorn and own brand items that in the vast majority of cases are not vegan. The availability of vegan products should be getting better in supermarkets as our numbers increase, but it seems to be getting worse. I rely totally on heathfood shops for such products now. No Morrisons were I live, unfortunately.

I've never really bothered with the Linda McCartney stuff but I was glad to read that they seemed to be remoiving hydrogenated fats from their food. Just wondering whether the stuff Tesco has replaced it with is full of hydrogenated fats? Might be another aspect to complain about - they may see complaints highlighting health concerns as having more weight.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

cobweb

I've just received my post, and coincidentally there's a card from Viva! about the new TESCO trade in live Turtles as food in their China branches .

We have 15 cats sharing our home & a 7 month old pup

I couldn't find an email address either, I may just call them & ask for it later.

Quote Patchouli View Post
    We have 15 cats sharing our home & a 7 month old pup

I couldn't find an email address either, I may just call them & ask for it later.
    I did email them a while back, online@tesco.co.uk about the unacceptable behaviour of their staff. Complete waste of time, I just kept getting automated replies which completely failed to engage the issue.

They seem to have removed any reference to email from their website now.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

BlackCats

Default Re: Tesco

Cobweb, I got that leaflet from Viva today as well. I didn't read it though I find it too depressing.
    I have gone from ordering online shopping from tesco to waitrose back to tesco but now will be trying sainsburys.

Went to Tesco last night and found they've discontinued Alpro Soya Yogurts as well
    Everywhere is walking distance... if you have the time

Quote Troutina View Post
    I found out today that Tescos in fact do 'label' their products. Basically, the circle with the V in it, if the background is green it is vegetarian, and if the background is white then its vegan...
    WHAT IS THE POINT!?
    JUST WRITE VEGAN ON IT!?
    Idiots. Though I suppose it is one step closer...
    I haven't read throught the whole thread so sorry if this has been answered but just how are we supposed to know this? I would never have known but for seeing this thread. Tesco are c**p for vegan food and I keep saying I'll stop shopping there but I keep going back as its the easiest place for me to get to for organic veg.

This white background / green background thing was mentioned before but I'm not sure it actually holds up. Didn't people report that the background colour seemed random?
    I'm sure I went to check and picked up some white background things to find they weren't actually vegan. Have a look next time you are in there and report back.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    I haven't read throught the whole thread so sorry if this has been answered but just how are we supposed to know this? I would never have known but for seeing this thread. Tesco are c**p for vegan food and I keep saying I'll stop shopping there but I keep going back as its the easiest place for me to get to for organic veg.
    No don't follow it- it doesn't label anything, so I've no idea why their website said that the white background indicates vegan products.

I usually just check its vegetarian first then check the allergy warnings for milk and eggs. If thats ok then I read the ingredients fully. It saves reading through a long list of ingredients to find milk or eggs at the end just as you're starting to think it might be ok

The Tesco near me have just completely redone the inside and to my suprise I found a load of cool stuff to take for my lunch. For example today I found a chilli bean spread, mung bean & chicpea dahl (in a lil take away tub with a fork), mixed beans, spinach and mint salad (again in a take away tub!!). There were loads more so check it out...although they weren't in the sandwich section they were with all lil pots of pasta and stuff in the fruit and veg section near where you would buy the hummus. Woo excited so I'm chatting rubbish lalalala.

Other than that I don't really like tesco cuz they don't label stuff vegan!!!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

As you say Tesco isn't great for vegans but I have a small Tesco Metro within walking distance of my flat so tend to go there a lot on my way home from work. Anyway, I was really surprised when they recently introduced a "Free From" section for the first time. It seems to me that each store does what they want!?

veggiewoman

Saturday, July 14: National Day of Action Against Tesco

Help us free the Tesco turtles! This British company is selling live animals in its stores in China. Turtles are either decapitated in store or taken home to be butchered in the most horrible ways imaginable. We have free materials, we just need you. No matter how much time you can spare - every little helps! Find out how to get involved here. Please also take a moment to complain to Tesco.

Quote veggiewoman View Post
    Saturday, July 14: National Day of Action Against Tesco

Help us free the Tesco turtles! This British company is selling live animals in its stores in China. Turtles are either decapitated in store or taken home to be butchered in the most horrible ways imaginable. We have free materials, we just need you. No matter how much time you can spare - every little helps! Find out how to get involved here. Please also take a moment to complain to Tesco.
    Thanks for the links veggiewoman! I think I'm going to try and arrange a protest outside my closest Tesco [Belfast city centre]. If anyone wants to join me feel free to PM me!

It's a shame Tesco went and did this, as otherwise I enjoy shopping with them.

A friend was just complaining about the lack of Linda McC products in Tesco, so I wondered whether any of the people here that have written to complain have had a response back from Tesco, please?

cobweb

I have written to Tesco and am awaiting a reply, Harpy - will post when it arrives.

I also wrote to the manager of my local Morrisons, thanking him for ensuring that such a wide variety of vegan-friendly products are always available.

BlackCats

I don't use Tesco anymore after reading info about them on here. Sainsbury's labelling is so good I am going to stick to them now.

Thats a good idea CW I never thought to write and thank people rather than just complain.

cobweb

I think it's really important (vital!) to thank people for stocking vegan things or generally being atall vegan friendly. Too often I see Vegans who complain and expect to be able to have their needs met, but I think this is totally unrealistic!. Maybe it should be that way but it's not so, yet .

Also, sometimes if you thank shops, etc, they send you shopping vouchers! .

Thank you, cobweb, would appreciate that. Yes, it's a really good idea to thank people for being accommodating as well as complaining when they aren't.

Hmm I'll have to give that a go. The frozen section in my local tesco is really poor and basically consists of Quorn and own brand veggie stuff. The chill section is better than my local morrisons...by far! How do I go about getting in touch with my pacific store?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

cobweb

I just got the address off the net by googling it and the managers' names off the till receipts .

sugarmouse

I too have stopped using them , alot of it to do with what Viva told me about turtles

cobweb

I have been invited to a customer liason meeting with the manager of my local store on Monday evening to give feedback about the store. I am going to raise the Turtle issue - obviously not my local store manager's fault but it will be passed on no doubt.
    I will also of course raise the issue of the dwindling vegan supplies - I see they now have LM sausages in store but you can't buy them online?? . I have many examples of things that I can no longer get there.

Anything else anyone would like me to raise?. It's primarily meant to be local feedback but I am sure everything will get passed on to general management, good and bad I hope! .

Could you bring up the issue of packaging, particularly in fruit&veg?
    I think that there is far, far too much- and totally unecessary.
    Hope the meeting goes well!

cobweb

packaging, uh-huh am making a note!

Can you ask why Blue Lotus tofu (the pre-packaged stuff) has started disappearing from the Chinese section in all their stores - they only have the yuck Cauldron stuff now. We eat a load of tofu - we'd buy it from Tesco if they'd stock a decent brand like Mori-Nu.

Hi Cobweb, would you ask them why they have stopped selling Realeat 'chicken style' pieces? They still sell the Realeat mince but not the 'chicken style' pieces. I have put in a complaint form in my own branch here but the more people who bring this up the better.
    All the best with your meeting Cobweb!

Quote Troutina View Post
    Could you bring up the issue of packaging, particularly in fruit&veg?
    I think that there is far, far too much- and totally unecessary.
    Hope the meeting goes well!
    Unfortunately I think the "couldn't give a damn about animals or the environment" brigade like packaging. I agree with you though, it bugs me when my organic veg is wrapped in plastic. It would be better if they supplied paper bags instead of plastic ones for loose veg. I don't understand this supermarket obsession with plastic bags.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Even when they provide paper bage for mushrooms, it has a clear plastic panel!?! What is the POINT! Do people forget what is in it?! Can people not OPEN bags anymore!?

If its loose veg we don't have to take their plastic bags. I just bought some Onya weigh bags. I'm sorry, I know I keep going on about these bags but I just think theyre amazing!
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

I noticed the other day that the Tescos mexican burgers are no longer vegan. Now they make no vegan burgers/sausages at all as far as I can see.

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    If its loose veg we don't have to take their plastic bags. I just bought some Onya weigh bags. I'm sorry, I know I keep going on about these bags but I just think theyre amazing!
    At the moment I'm re using the plastic fruit and veg bags they offer, but when they run out I might have a think about those Onya bags!

My local tesco told me that they dont stock hummus cause its too posh. Lol. ;-)
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

Demon

I heard Beyond Reproach was a rough area!

Organic stuff is usually throroughly wrapped in plastic because it's more expensive than the regular stuff, and they don't want customers trying to pass it off as the cheaper variety. However, the organic tomatoes in my local supermarket (Budgens) are packaged in some kind of biodegradable, compostable, plastic-alike substance (corn starch?).

Quote Demon View Post
    I heard Beyond Reproach was a rough area!
    Very very very
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

Nah, Beyond Reproach is too posh for hummus!!