Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco

Default Re: Tesco

They were printed on the packets. Didn't last for very long though - only a few weeks. ALOT of people wrote in apparently. (I found out when I wrote in a said it was a great idea and why weren't they continuing it as a company. Never got a reply!)

The bean wraps are definately vegetarian though - think it says so on the pack - or else they also wouldn't be in the meat free section.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote !! View Post
    The fatty acids could be non vegan...

Mono- and Diglycerides of fatty acids (glyceryl monostearate, glyceryl distearate) - Emulsifier
    Because E471 is derived from Glycerine (Glycerol) (see E422 above), there may be a slim chance that E471 might contain animal fats.

Here's a link to the souce http://www.veggieglobal.com/nutritio...-additives.htm
    It does say suitable for vegetarians though

Why is it so difficult for them to put this info on the pack lol, its a shame they stopped.

Also, if anything is derived from milk or eggs does it still have it listed in the allergy advice bit? All this could could confuse a stupid person

Exactly Emzy and Andy!...............................it would put your head away!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote !! View Post
    I seem to remember the bean burgers or something had a V for vegan symbol actually printed on the packaging at one point.
    they were the nut cutlets. that's what made me notice they'd changed before i bought them. stupid tesco.

Quote Eco View Post
    I noticed the other day that the Tescos mexican burgers are no longer vegan. Now they make no vegan burgers/sausages at all as far as I can see.
    I don't usually shop in Tescos but I do a quick check now and then. I thought I'd check out the current products and and saw the "Meat free spicy mexican bean quarter pounders". The package says veggie, and does not indicate it contains milk, egg or any other unwanted stuff. So I scanned the ingredients and could see nothing obviously non-vegan.
    However - I looked on the web-site grocery store, and it says "Contains Milk". This was clearly at odds with the packet so I called customer services and got them to look into it. Apparently, a small amount of lactose (from milk) is used to bind the ingredients so the website is correct and they are not vegan What a total shame ! They are going to change the packaging but I thought I had better let you all know in case you had trusted the packet.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

I have some of those in my freezer! Shame I'm not lactose intolerant!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

edge of sanity

Oh no! I love those bean burgers Hubby likes them too so he will have to finish them off.

Does anyone know of any other brand of beanburger? I like having something easy to have in a bun from time to time (read = when hubby is cooking dinner).

Sainsbury and ASDA sell their own brand, and there is a Good Life version available in some places, too.

Nut Cutlets or Fry's burgers are good options to have in a bun, as are ASDA chicken style steaks.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I get some from Iceland (I forget the brand), but they're vegan and only £1 for 4.

EDIT: the brand is Dalepak!

Are you sure those burgers are vegan Bryzee...I'm sure they weren't the last time I looked but that was probably at least 6months ago!

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I have some of those in my freezer! Shame I'm not lactose intolerant!
    I wonder if you'd be entitled to take them back for a refund. You should be able in the circumstances. This really pisses me off that they can be so lapse about this and I've eaten those recently too YUK! Why they need lactose as a binder when there's so much other stuff they could use is beyond me but it doesn't surprise me with Tesco when they even put milk in waffles and crisps!
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    I wonder if you'd be entitled to take them back for a refund. You should be able in the circumstances. This really pisses me off that they can be so lapse about this and I've eaten those recently too YUK! Why they need lactose as a binder when there's so much other stuff they could use is beyond me but it doesn't surprise me with Tesco when they even put milk in waffles and crisps!

I have often pondered this, I'm sick of it being put in everything. I can only assume that it is because the dairy industry is subsidised by taxpayers to an obscene degree. It milk wasn't so cheap then manufacturers would be forced to use alternatives.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Are you sure those burgers are vegan Bryzee...I'm sure they weren't the last time I looked but that was probably at least 6months ago!
    pretty sure they are! I'll have a closer inspection in the week, though.

Quote Jiffy View Post
    I have often pondered this, I'm sick of it being put in everything. I can only assume that it is because the dairy industry is subsidised by taxpayers to an obscene degree. It milk wasn't so cheap then manufacturers would be forced to use alternatives.
    they're often paid to take it, the manufacturers are. Simply because as a byproduct it would be considered hazardous waste if it was allowed into waste water or rubbish waste. So the producers pay people to take it off their hands. It's obscene.

Ugh and that makes it sound even more gross. "Here have a bean burger....it's bound together with some tasty hazardous waste."

yum. Tasty indeed. I'll try to go to sainsbury's some time soon i think - they do the good life ones.

Can you get Amy's frozen burgers there? They're quite nice too. Grainy, but tasty.

not at my nearest one, no. Not sure if anywhere 'round here does them. We can get the enchiladas, but i'd rather make my own, frankly!

Yeah - the enchiladas aren't all that great.....good for a quick microwave snack if you're in a hurry.

I just found out yesterday that they've done away with the 'cooked meat' section of my local Tesco as it wasn't doing well.
    It's been there for years and took up almost one wall of the store............I'm so delighted!

Quote sandra View Post
    I just found out yesterday that they've done away with the 'cooked meat' section of my local Tesco as it wasn't doing well.
    It's been there for years and took up almost one wall of the store............I'm so delighted!
    That's awesome but what are they replacing it with?

Well the area where it used to be just has 'ordinary' groceries now.........I think they are keeping the jams and marmalades along part of that area!

Quote Pob View Post
    Nut Cutlets or Fry's burgers are good options to have in a bun, as are ASDA chicken style steaks.
    ASDA Chicken Style Steaks? Sounds kinda gross, but I'm curious. I presume since you mention them they're vegan.

I've always joked that one day I'll be able to make vegan Kentucky Fried Chicken. These "steaks" may help make that joke become reality.

Is there still an ASDA vegan list. I haven't been able to find one for ages.

Quote RossClement View Post
    I've always joked that one day I'll be able to make vegan Kentucky Fried Chicken. These "steaks" may help make that joke become reality.
    OMG that would be awesome! Does anyone have a recipe for a southern style coating?
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

we have some of those asda chicken steak things..not that great imo. spongey and taste weirdly mouldy *insert grimace emoticon*

as an side..unless i'm wrong, asda make sausage roll type things..i'm sure they used to be vegan a while ago..i bought some recently then noticed they have milk in the allergy list. sorry to hijack the tesco list with all this asda talk
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

hah, you wish you were chav enough to shop in tesco
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    OMG that would be awesome! Does anyone have a recipe for a southern style coating?
    I found one here. Warning: I have flash-blocker on my computer. It could be that the big flash box on this page shows someone cutting up chicken.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...ried-chicken-2

I'm going to try making something resembling this using chunks of baked sosmix as the """chicken""".

Tesco gave me a £10 voucher today, along with a refund for the products I bought that went out of date on the 6th. Ironically it would seem (after a quick google search) that the branch of tesco near my work was fined on the 6th around £140k by the city council for consistantly selling out of date food. You'd have thought they'd have learnt by now?

Quote Cumin View Post
    I don't usually shop in Tescos but I do a quick check now and then. I thought I'd check out the current products and and saw the "Meat free spicy mexican bean quarter pounders". The package says veggie, and does not indicate it contains milk, egg or any other unwanted stuff.

[...]

Apparently, a small amount of lactose (from milk) is used to bind the ingredients so the website is correct and they are not vegan
    So let me get this straight, if something contains lactose, do Tesco not have to label it with 'contains milk' because it is a 'only' a milk derivative?

Or could this be the cue to send them loads of pissed off e-mails about false labelling?
    How did I get down here?

Mass emailing ahoy.

P.S. The newly packaged Nut Cutlets are back to being vegan, and TEsco have also introduced frozen chicken style fillets at £1.99 for 2, also labelled vegan.

Can't wait to try those Bryzee!
    The Realeat people emailed me saying their 'chicken style' pieces are back in production............I wonder if Tesco will start selling them again!
    I think I'll write to them and see what they say.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Mass emailing ahoy.

P.S. The newly packaged Nut Cutlets are back to being vegan.
    I had one last night. Yummmy it was!

In my oven as we speak I have a tesco chilli with rice ready meal (I'm home for a couple of days so it's just out of ease for everyone, especially because I don't do the shopping here), which I was pleasantly surprised to see is labelled on the front as vegan with the white background in the circle.

Thumbs up Re: Tesco

Just found these chicken style fillets in my local tesco, labelled vegan & they also do chicken style dippers!

cobweb

our first Tesco store here in Orkney opens in 4 days and there's a large sign on the front of the gates advertising this new range of veggie foods..........stuff like the above might be very useful for the child and for mind-free meals in a hurry, hmm .

Thanks KayJay, I printed out that photo and will take it to my nearest Tesco and ask them to order it in!

Quote KayJay View Post

Just found these chicken style fillets in my local tesco, labelled vegan & they also do chicken style dippers!
    my local hasn't got the dippers in!!

Has ASDA stopped doing their version of these? Ours has, but I'm not sure if all stores have. We don't use Tesco, because of the turtles.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Ours has too, Pob.

The Asda nearest me has stopped selling them, we have to travel to the one in Ballyclare now to get them!

Quote KayJay View Post

NO FUCKING WAY! How do they taste?

They taste good! Much better than the asda ones in my opinion, have got the dippers in my freezer waiting to try too

Quote KayJay View Post

Are these in the freezer or fridge area? Dad does the odd Tescos shop and Id like to try them as an alternative to Mums occasional quorn fillets - then we can both try them! Thanks:smile: parents normally use Sainsburys and i know they dont have vegan fillets.

Freezer!

Quote alisont View Post
    Are these in the freezer or fridge area? Dad does the odd Tescos shop and Id like to try them as an alternative to Mums occasional quorn fillets - then we can both try them! Thanks:smile: parents normally use Sainsburys and i know they dont have vegan fillets.

Yes Alison they are in the freezer section, the fillets are in boxes and the nuggets are in bags

Thank you will pass info onto Dad when he goes - I like to try new vegan products! and If they can replace Mums occasional quorn fillets all the better.

We do get the Asda ones when we can but not many Asdas round here.

sugarmouse

Quote Pob View Post
    Has ASDA stopped doing their version of these? Ours has, but I'm not sure if all stores have. We don't use Tesco, because of the turtles.

I dont for this reason too,although it is annoying as I have heard they have some good stuff.

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    I dont for this reason too,although it is annoying as I have heard they have some good stuff.
    Problem you have with supermarkets is that they are big companies. All of them (yes even the co-op) have dodgy dealings somewhere in the world. You cannot chose an ethical supermarket because they do not exist.

cobweb

^ i agree, emzy.

I went in Tesco today and their stuff is soooooooo much cheaper than what i've been paying locally, at least a third cheaper, with some products a whopping 50% cheaper than in local Orkney shops!.

I am unethical i suppose but my shopping bill will now go back down from over £100 each week to around £60-£70, and that's a lot of difference on a tight budget.

Every little helps.

IGMC.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)