Thread: This Can't Be Tofu! Deborah Madison

Default This Can't Be Tofu! Deborah Madison

This Can't Be TOFU! - 75 recipes to cook something you never thought you would - and love every bite. Deborah Madison, author of the award-winnig 'vegetarian cooking for everyone'.

This isn't a veg*n cookbook, it mostly is or can be subsituted/left out of the animal ingredients to customise it though. I have a special place in my heart for it because I bought it several years pre-vegan, from Amazon, I suppose mostly out of curiousity. It's one of several vegan-y things I was drawn to through my life without realising why. It had been lost to me until just recently when I found it again!

Now I have to admit I've only made about one thing out of it - it was sort of mock-curried egg, to go in sandwiches and the like, because while I didn't like eggs, sometimes I wanted something a little like scrambled egg, and before finding the wonderful vegan scrambled tofu recipes, that was the closest I got (but it was yum!).

I've been having a look through today and there are quite a few things I'll look forward to making. It has an introduction about tofu, how to buy, use, prepare etc, and it has recipes for appetisers, salads, sandwiches, sauces, soups, stirfries, sautes, curries, braises, pasta and noodles, breakfast 'sausage' (and eggs), smothies, and shakes. I saw a nice looking recipe for a miso soup that was poured over somen noodles (not sure if they are vegan but you could easily use a different type) with tofu, and there was a bokchoi salad with tofu, and various glazes/marinades for fried/baked/whatever tofu, and some nice looking curried tofu recipes. There aren't any photos besides the three on the front cover - which look amazing! shame they don't tell you what they are although I think I can work out two of the three - there are some drawings too.

So to sum it up, although it's not exclusively veggie, I think it's a really good into to tofu for anybody, it's easily veganised, and is nice cookbook for those 'tofu moods' when you don't want to look at other books full of non-tofu recipes

Default Re: This Can't Be Tofu! Deborah Madison

I voted three stars, is really 4 except it isn't vegan. So consider it 3.5 stars!

Default Re: This Can't Be Tofu! Deborah Madison

I have added this book to my Amazon wishlist. I rarely cook with tofu but I want to start eating more tofu (instead of processed fake meats) and I think I'll need a good tofu-only cookbook.

Jamie (or anyone else), have you got around to making anything else from this cookbook yet?
    Peace, love, and happiness.