Thread: Recommend a recipe book to tempt child?

Default Recommend a recipe book to tempt child?

Apologies if this has been asked before but I did do a search and failed to turn up anything.

A friend of mine's son, 7, has recently decided to go vegetarian. She isn't vegetarian herself but is happy with his decision except that he is a faddy eater and won't willingly eat many vegetables apart from the usual potatoes, beans etc.

She said that things like pizzas with faces don't go down well but he will eat vegetables mushed up with tomato to make a sauce for pasta.

So I wondered if anyone had come across a suitable book, preferably a UK-published one to avoid problems with quantities etc. It strikes me getting him involved in preparing the food might help so if there were a book with recipes simple enough for a 7-year-old to follow (with assistance) that would be ideal. He is lacto-veg at present but a vegan book would be fine

Default Re: Recommend a recipe book to tempt child?

New Recipes for Young Vegetarians by Sammy Green published by Foulsham,
    also Linda McCartney's Home Cooking would be okay, most children aged 7 can do some of the simple prep work, my 6 year old loves peeling carrots! We also bake together, getting messy is fun. There was another book called something like Let's Cook Together but I forget who wrote it, the recipes have funky names and there's instructions for adults, and kids.
    Let's Cook It Together! by Peggy Brusseau published by Thorsons-yipee I found it!
    Last edited by shelstar; Dec 13th, 2006 at 08:19 PM. Reason: I found my book!

Thank you very much Shelstar - I will see if I can find some of those.

I remember a book I loved when I was a kid - it was called Keep Out Of The Kitchen Mum and I see Amazon have got a used one for 10p! It's not vegan but the recipes are super-easy and I bet they could be veganised easily. It was written especially for kids and is well written.

Thank you very much fiamma; will add that one to the list.

I've already ordered a couple of the ones shelstar suggested for my friend - on Amazon they were only available second-hand and one of them was 10p, or possibly 1p, as well. TBH I'm a bit worried about the state it's going to be in. Why would anyone bother to sell a book for 10p?

Thanks again, both of you.

Quote harpy View Post
    A friend of mine's son, 7, has recently decided to go vegetarian. She isn't vegetarian herself but is happy with his decision
    How absolutely fantastic! I'm impressed by the little boy AND his mum.
    I hope it goes well for them and that they like the books.

Possibly a bit more expensive, but I used to love the graphics in the usborne cookery books. I didn't have the veggie one though, alas.

Recipes for Young Vegetarians by Sammy Green published by'foulsham'
    has lots of tasty recipes in.
    Quote from back of book 'This is the book for Mum if she looks to be short on ideas and of course for young veggies who are looking for a bit of FIZZ n their eating' Unquote.
    Hope that helps x
    All of life is a dream walking
    All of death is a going home Chinese saying

More suggestions! Thanks everyone, I'm keeping a list. Most of these books seem to be out of print unfortunately, but available second-hand on Amazon.

Yes, Cherry - I just hope he keeps it up: I suppose finding enough things to eat to sustain life will be a determining factor The mum eats fish but not meat so she's not as fased by it as some people might be.