Thread: Ready made

david.summo

Default Ready made

Hello all, i have lately not had the motivation to do alot of cooking, so i have been eating more stuff like linda mc cartney sausages. However because we shop at a super market online its often hard to know whats vegan and not (sometimes they dont even put ingredients up.

Exactly what ready meals are vegan? like well known brands which would be in the shops. I'm talking mainly about fake meat type things and other such things.

Default Re: Ready made

Send us a link to the supermarket you shop. Also, I know this is not what you asked for but progesso lentil soup is something I like to get.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Hello - You may find this website useful:

http://www.animalfreeshopper.com/html/

You have to register but then it's free and it has a database of foods that are known to be vegan.

Redwood is one company that as far as I know only makes vegan foods, which simplifies matters a bit. Not that much of their stuff is in supermarkets unfortunately - you may have to try somewhere like Holland and Barrett.

david.summo

Hey i shop on www.tesco.com , thanks for the link. What sort of products do you lot buy?

I often have soup and toast for a quick lunch meal - Baxters soups label which are vegan, and some are relatively low in salt.

Linda McCartney pies. Most brands of nut burgers and spicy bean burgers are vegan. Tesco do some chilled ready meals that are labelled vegan.

I'm not sure I could cope with not actually visiting the supermarket, as products change often.

When I'm short of time I sometimes get Pure & Pronto meals - check out their website for ingredients etc (they are all labelled as vegan). They do sell them at Tesco.

http://www.redwoodfoods.co.uk/

The biggest range of fake meat/cheese/whatever you're likely to find online. Delivery is expensive as it all has to be kept refrigerated but gets a lot cheaper if you buy a lot at once. Plus it's all vegan.

Those Pure & Pronto meals mentioned by Helen are very good, fast, nutritious vegan food too.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

I love the Redwood fish(less) range (breaded mock fish steaks, fingers and scampi bits). Waitrose do the fish(less) fingers but don't think you can get any of them as Tesco. I don't go to Tesco very often so don't really know their range.

Although stews rather than mock meat based The Pure and Pronto meals are very good - I second that suggestion. If you did a Redwood order you could add some chicken bits to them - or add some braised tofu/mock duck in tins, they are very meaty in texture and are full of flavour, not at all like normal tofu. They do a great range:- mince, bacon, falafels etc.

Did you see the Sainsbury thread? They emailed me a long list of suitable ready meals in the 'not just for vegetarians' range and label a lot of their own brand stuff. Might be worth using them from time to time.

(And if you drink you might be intrested in the tesco vegan wine links also posted in a thread here.)

And whenever you can be bothered to cook you might consider making twqice or four times as much as you need to freeze the rest for another day.

I think you can get the Realeat Vegeburger & vegebanger dry mixes in Tesco, and possibly Direct Foods sosmixes & burgamix, all of which are vegan.

david.summo

can you still get sosmix at tesco? i can't find them online anymore thanks for the info. Infact online there doesn't seem to very much other than quorn, i might have to check up if sainburys are available and better, you would of thought you would get more variety online, i might have to write a complaint to tesco actually because this is rediculous :P. Mainly we shop online because its easier and i dont really have the time to be going off to the supermarket myself, though i think i will go next time when my sister and dad go. Thanks for the pure the help, i didn't know linda mc cartney pies were vegan and also thanks about the pure and pronto, tesco do stock them.

PainterLady

Amy's Organics has just put out a vegan soycheese and spinach pizza. ANyone have it yet?

I haven't seen the dry mixes recently in Tesco, but it's one of those things I am never sure what shelf they put it on. They used to do an organic TVP, but since they rearranged all their organic stuff, I'm not sure if they still do that either.

There is all the Cauldron stuff tho - my store stocks the original, beech smoked, and marinated tofu, and falafel, all of which are vegan.

You should be able to get the provamel natural soya yoghurt, too, which works a bit like mozzerella on pizzas.

Morrisons stock some mock-meat slices, but I don't know about buying their stuff online.

David, have you looked at

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk

They do sell meat and dairy products too but the vegan stuff is clearly marked. They have some stuff that's not so easy to find in supermarkets, like Fry's fake meat products, as well as Redwood. I recommend Clive's pies if you haven't had them - they are delicious (though watch out because not all are vegan).

I have used GoodnessDirect once or twice and they seem OK. They are linked to a religious organisation which puts some people off, but then if you start to think about what supermarkets are linked to....

If you don't mind my saying so, I wouldn't overdo the fake meat and ready meals as it's not the most nutritious way to eat, but I admit they're handy now and then.