Thread: Vegan Fudge Recipe anyone?

PainterLady

Default Vegan Fudge Recipe anyone?

Hi! I am looking for a dense fudge, like the kinds I ate when I was small. So far, the vegan recipes I have tried taste too cake like or brownie like.

Default Re: Vegan Fudge Recipe anyone?

I have a recipe!! It's delicious. Tastes like regular ol' fudge.

2 1/2 cups of vegan chocolate chips

1/2 cup of vegan margarine

1/4 cup of non-dairy milk (I use soy as it's the creamiest)

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups of icing sugar

Melt all the ingredients (except icing sugar and vanilla) in the microwave for 3 minutes.

Then mix in icing sugar (make sure there's no clumps!) and vanilla. Put in a 9x9 pan, lined with wax paper. Let it cool and harden in the fridge (almost two hours).

Eat in two days.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

PainterLady

I'll probably follow the directions, except I'll cut the last direction in half.
    :P yummmy, thank you sweet heart!

No prob!

*drools*

Good sperm

Apparently using coconut milk to sub 1/2 the soya milk makes it really creamy.

PainterLady

Tl- do you get it? The last direction is "eat it in 2 days".

PainterLady

I like fudge that is more dense than creamy. Is this recipe like that? Ya know, it breaks off and it melts in your mouth?

The fudge that breaks off sounds like what they call "tablet" in Scotland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_tablet

I can't find a vegan recipe for that but it would be good if someone would devise one - I used to like it when I was a wean (i.e. child ). Very sweet though.

Edited to add the ingredient that seems most problematic is the condensed milk: not sure what you could substitute for that, and not sure how well soy products would stand up to boiling for 20 minutes or whatever?

Question Re: Vegan Fudge Recipe anyone?

Quote PainterLady View Post
    I like fudge that is more dense than creamy. Is this recipe like that? Ya know, it breaks off and it melts in your mouth?
    Hahaha, I get the joke now.

I don't know how to describe it. I haven't had fudge since that vegan kind I made in at least 2 and half years...so I forget what it's like.

Apologies for resusitating a thread over a month old.

I've recently been having success cooking fudge in the microwave. When I tried to cook it on the stove I burnt it too often. But in the microwave, it's more predictable. Though, I'm not quite "there" yet. I tend to undercook it most times so that it takes a long time to set and is quite soft. Hopefully I'll soon get the recipe sorted so that I know exactly how

I cook it at 450W (our micro is 900W), about two minutes at a time, stirring after each zap. Near the end I drop the times as it starts boiling, dropping a bit in cold water to check for "soft ball" stage after each zap.

One thing about the microwave though is that it's harder to cook it slowly at first so that all sugar crystals dissolve. You can use icing sugar instead of granulated sugar, which helps. But it's harder to get vegan icing sugar now that silver spoon icing sugar has egg in it. Last time I used granulated sugar and the graininess wasn't too bad. Another thing is that the sugar boils up, and will boil over unless you have a really big pyrex bowl. I bought a really big pyrex bowl especially for fudge.

The idea of using 1/2 coconut milk and 1/2 soya milk sounds an excellent one, and I'm gong to try it. The recipes I've been using seem very "sensitive" to the quality of the soya milk used. We had some Co-op soya milk which was foul. The foul taste wasn't as strong in the fudge, but it was there. With Alpro from the blue box the fudge comes out much better.

Now I want to learn how to make vegan chewey sugar sweets, such as toffee, caramels, and minties.

Quote RossClement View Post
    But it's harder to get vegan icing sugar now that silver spoon icing sugar has egg in it.
    Are you sure?? I know their Royal Icing Sugar has egg in it (but that's because it's an 'all in one' type jobby for royal icing, but the normal icing sugar doesn't have egg in it.

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    Are you sure?? I know their Royal Icing Sugar has egg in it (but that's because it's an 'all in one' type jobby for royal icing, but the normal icing sugar doesn't have egg in it.
    The box says "may contain traces of egg" on the side. Perhaps I should have been clearer about this. I presume it's a cross-contamination issue rather than an ingredient. So people unworried by potential contamination can go on using it.

ahh, okay - thanks for making it clearer!

nervine

Hah, we tried to make fudge once, it stayed in this state of thick sludgyness. I put a big tablespoon in my tea. It was incredible..

Make the chickpea fudge! I wanted to make that today, I'm the one who mentioned it for the first time since I tasted it at a vegan restaurant, but our icing sugar is finished!

Just buy the unrefined icing sugar by Billingtons. I find it easy to find in supermarkets. It even says sutable for vegans on the side.

I know you are making your own but just incase some peeps like me can't be bothered making it themselves - I bought this stuff last week -
    http://www.fudgekitchen.co.uk/flavou...asp?fudgeid=25
    dairy free + vegan
    It's very very sweet and gooey and you have to buy 4 slices so it's expensive but is yummy for a treat and you can freeze what you can't eat... or share it with your vegan loved ones

Fast delivery too!
    Knottykc

disturbed

I'm afraid I fall into the can't be bothered category, so thanks for the tip Knotttykc. Went to their shop in York to try some, only to be told they don't make the dairy free fudge evry day, but you have to ring up and order in advance! I got no indication of that from the website.

I recently tried some hand made vegan fudge from Out of This World made with pecan nuts which I found ...yucky. The Fabolous Fudge Company produce dairy free + vegan fudge which is available in health food shops and quite nice.

Hi Akala - yes I also went to the Fudge Kitchen in Edinburgh and they only make the dairy free stuff to order

On my quest for yummy vegan fudge I have found this stuff is the nicest so far -Dairy Free Fudge - Made by the Fabulous Fudge Factory in Devon to a special recipe with soya milk. Produced without the use of any palm oil. GM free and gluten free. I found this at Holland + Barrett but it is also available online at http://www.animalaidshop.org.uk/chocolate.htm
    Knottykc

is this fudge crumbly? like, melt in mouth? and can it be done without choc chips?or does that muck it up?

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/deser...r/avofudge.htm

I REALLY liked this fudge...it was super creamy, but you do have to keep it refrigerated or it just becomes goo. It's also really sweet, which is OK with me...and I think I put a bit of extra nuts in it. YUM!
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Go Vegan!

One thing I really mist in Scotland is Polish soya fudge (krówki sojowe) they are really delicious, when fresh are like chewing gum after some time become crumble and delicate...ah...
    You can find them in internet for example: http://www.natura.ostroda.net/?p=pro...=Krowka-sojowa costs about £1.10 - 1.50 per 200g package depends on shop prices

I've been thinking about making my own fudge! There's a recipe here, too:

http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2006...gan-fudge.html

Quote Tigerlily View Post

1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt all the ingredients (except icing sugar and vanilla) in the microwave for 3 minutes.

Then mix in icing sugar (make sure there's no clumps!) and vanilla. Put in a 9x9 pan, lined with wax paper. Let it cool and harden in the fridge (almost two hours).

Eat in two days.
    i made fudge with tigerlily's recipe and it turned out phenomenal! i also followed amf's suggestion to use 1/2 coconut milk and 1/2 soy milk. i'm keeping this recipe! thanks tigerliry and amf
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote Tigerlily View Post

1 tsp vanilla extract

Eat in two days.
    Ok, this thread is super old, but it was one of the top 3 on Google when I typed in "vegan fudge recipe." Made this today and it is wonderful!! I couldn't get all the lumps out of the icing sugar, but that doesn't effect the taste. Yum, thanks for the recipe!
    ~kathy

Just what I was looking for, at the time I wasn't even looking lol. I've been wanting to make this box of vegan brownies for almost two weeks, but I refuse to eat it without fudge on top lol. Now I can make my own. Glad you bumped this thread. I see a lot of old threads I want to comment in, but don't want to bump a really old thread.

"awsome foods" a raw food vendor that sells there products at select wholefoodsmarkets, has some pretty banging raw vegan fudges!!! a entire tray (equal to about the size of a king sized hershy bar) is only 240 cals...WOW...these have saved me numerous times