Thread: Vegan animals

Default Vegan animals

I am wondering which animals are vegan and what they eat...(when wondering about what humans are 'supposed' to eat, in terms of raw/carnivore etc...it is interesting to know what wild animals do to nourish themselves)

Geoff

Hi Banana.
    I find myself drawn to the vegetarian animals like possums, kangaroos, lorikeets, galahs flying foxes etc. (although they all probably eat the occasional insect)
    'My' baby possum is currently chomping through some banana, pawpaw, carrot and bottlebrush flowers.

If I'm not mistaken, gorillas are vegan. At least the one that posts here is (but she may not be an actual real gorilla.)

Geoff

We don't have too many gorillas in Oz - except the ones who stand outside nightclub doors!

Most of the big animals, ie elephants, hippos and Gorillas are vegetarians

Well I dont know but i would say if an animal is vegetarian it has to be vegan. I dont think it would drink milk (other than from its mother) or eggs or chees

Do any vegetarian animals eat honey?
    No Gods, No Masters.

Quote Geoff
    We don't have too many gorillas in Oz - except the ones who stand outside nightclub doors!
    In my pre-vegan days in Australia, I used to date a member of that species! He definately wasn't a veg*n and could eat a whole roasted chicken from Coles in about 10 minutes. Ugh! Needless to say, we didn't last long. I almost went broke from feeding him!

I know whinnie the Pooh loves honey

ha ha ha the resident vegan Gorilla is here

i think gorillas like many large animals only consciously eat plants, but inevitably end up eating small insects that are living on the plants. there seems to be disagreement as to whether they actually need animal protein to survive, as some info i have seen says they get their protein from new leaves. according to some sources, gorillas will resort to eating insects, ants and slugs if fruit, leaves and bamboo are scarce.

not that i would of course!

Geoff

Quote Panda
    I know whinnie the Pooh loves honey
    What do you get if you cross a horse and a skunk?
    Whinny the poo!

panda tries to only eat bamboo if this is taken away from him/her by deforestation then he/she has to resort to other means plant or already dead animals.

i think paddington bear eats honey to. is there an association with bears and honey?

Yes. Bears will sometimes eat honey. But they aren't exactly vegetarian. That's why I was wondering if there are any otherwise vegetarian animals that still eat honey.
    No Gods, No Masters.

greenworlds

Default Re: Vegan animals

Quote mysh
    Yes. Bears will sometimes eat honey. But they aren't exactly vegetarian. That's why I was wondering if there are any otherwise vegetarian animals that still eat honey.
    So humans vegatarians eat honey :