Thread: Chinese Food Suggestions

Default Chinese Food Suggestions

On Saturday Coming I'm going to a get together with a load of friends who are all going to be ordering chinese take-away. I'm going to be bringing my own food rather than getting takeaway with them.

I want some food that I can take along to, well, show off really. Preferably including some stuff to share with them.

So far all I've thought of is to make some Sweet & Sour sauce mixed with some vegetables and some rice.

I'm very open to suggestions, I've never even tried that sweet & Sour sauce recipe and I don't even know what vegetables I should cook or how I should cook them. Also, would fried rice be a good idea? I also have no idea how to do that.

Any suggestions welcome
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Default Re: Chinese Food Suggestions

I can't say I'm wild about Chinese food and all I've ever eaten are stir fried veggies and tofu. My fear would be that when you fry something to take it to a party it might not be all that great when you need to reheat it.

I found a recipe for soup containing tofu and ginger - it contains shrimp but you could just leave that out. Then it would be a doddle to heat up, and also easy to prepare. Or this one, for Hot and Sour Soup. It's vegan too, apart from the chicken stock.

Mmmm - Chinese Noodle Salad, make sure you get vegan noodles.

There's also this recipe for Chinese Chews, if you could find some way to substitute the eggs.

I went to Allrecipes and did a search using the keyword "Chinese" - you might find some other stuff you like. Enjoy the party!

Thanks I'm allowed to use the kitchen when I get there so I can probably do the cooking there and just do the preperation at home.

I don't really like tofu to be honest. Just to be difficult I don't really like noodles either, however, I used to like getting plain chow mein from my local chinese and that's noodles, so maybe it's the way it's cooked and I just don't like boiled noodles?

PainterLady

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/chinese/spring-rolls.html
    I've made these without the mint too. awesome!

In that case you could chop up all the veggies before you go, or get your mates to help you

I've had deep fried tofu with a hot and spicy coating of red chilli, garlic, salt and pepper - from my local Chinese takeout. It's really good! I wonder if you found a recipe for that if you could make it. But then again, deep-frying could be messy.

PainterLady

How about a big veggie stirfry with rice? This is easy, fast and fun! Very colorful too! You can cook it up in front of everyone and make the whole house smell of vegan goodness. Yummmmm!

I made the sweet & sour sauce recipe tonight to try it out, it's very good, pretty much identical to what you would get in a resaurant, I'm going to put it with water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, baby sweetcorn etc. and have that with rice. I might do a small stirfry to go with it.

It's a pity there doesn't seem to be any quick and easy chinese snack foods I could make. I looked up chinese snack food an google and it all appears to be dead things on sticks.

PainterLady

How about mixing in some Japanese food and making sushi? Very easy and quick. Let me do some more looking for you for a snack food...

Quote PainterLady View Post
    How about mixing in some Japanese food and making sushi? Very easy and quick. Let me do some more looking for you for a snack food...
    That'd be very kind of you, but I have a feeling that would involve difficult to get, expensive items? If not the that sounds super

Does anybody know what the general non vegan items in chinese food are ?
    Obviously i dont meen the chicken and beef dishes, i mean the vege ones, which i thought were generally animal product free, my fave was beancurd in cantonese sauce. What would possibly be in it ??

BEAN CURD ROLLS

4 dried chinese mushrooms
    1/3c bamboo shoots, rinsed and drained
    1 small carrot
    3T oil
    1 oz firm tofu, drained and diced
    2c bean sprouts
    1/2t salt
    1/2t sugar
    2 scallions, finely shredded
    1T light soy sauce
    1t roasted sesame oil
    1T all purpose flour
    12 sheets soft or dried bean curd skins
    oil for deep frying
    red rice vinegar, soy sauce or a dipping sauce

soak the dried mushrooms in boiling water for 30 minutes, then drain and squeeze out any excess water. remove and discard the stems and finely shred the caps. cut the bamboo shoots and carrot into thin strips the size of the bean sprouts.
    heat a wok over high heat, add the oil and heat until very hot. stir-fry the carrot, tofu & bean sprouts for 1 minute. add the mushrooms & bamboo shoots, toss, then add the salt, sugar & scallions. stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the soy sauce and sesame oil and blend well. remove the mixture from the wok and drain off the excess liquid. allow to cool. combine the flour with a little cold water to make a paste.
    if you are using dried bean curd skins soak them in cold water until they are soft. peel off a sheet of bean curd skin and trim to 6 x 7 inch rectangles. place 2 tablespoons of the filling at one end of the skin and roll up to make a neat package, folding the sides in as you roll. brush the skin with sme of the flour paste to seal the flap firmly. repeat with the remaining bean curd skins and filling.
    fill a wok one quarter full of oil. heat the oil to 350 degrees F, or until a piece of bread fries golden brown in 15 seconds when dropped in the oil. cook the rolls in batches for 3 - 4 minutes, or until golden. serve with some of the vinegar, soy, or dipping sauce.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

RubyDuby

its probably too late, but u could just buy frozen vege potstickers or eggrolls and bake them there. those are always delicious.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I don't think Risker could in Surrey.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

hi, it's probably too late to make this for your dinner party, but maybe for future reference...

Chinese vegan dumplings, dipping sauce and sweet potato porridge
    I got the recipe at: http://sodelicious.org/happy-new-yea...a-the-veg-ness

It's very good and also really easy!