Thread: Poll to ban Duck Shooting in Tasmania, Australia

Angry Poll to ban Duck Shooting in Tasmania, Australia

Hi,

I got this from another forum - I think it is really important that a true numerical representation is received by the RSPCA so please put in your vote too. Currently the numbers are very skewed which is ridiculous - how many average everyday people would support duck shooting!?!

"The Tasmanian RSPCA is running a poll on duck shooting. It is thought that it has been highjacked by shooters and the vote is currently running at 389 votes for a ban on duck shooting and 1356 in favour of duck shooting. So a few organisations including the Australian Wildlife Protection Council, Against Animal Cruelty Tasmania and the Tasmanian Conservation Trust are asking people to go to the RSPCA site and vote yes to ban duck shooting.

So PLEASE vote for a ban on duck shooting. Vote YES to the question
    "should recreational duck shooting be banned in Tasmania" and please
    spread the message widely to those who care for animals. Go to
    www.rspcatas.org.au "

Default Re: Poll to ban Duck Shooting in Tasmania, Australia

I voted. Thanks VanillaBean

Willynilly

Default Duck Hunting Poll

RSPCA Tasmania has a poll, asking people to vote for (or against!) a ban on duck shooting in their state.
    You can vote at www.rspcatas.org.au.
    If there are others who wish to vote, using your computer, you will need to uncheck 'accept cookies' in your browser options or delete the cookie from rspcatas.org.au after each vote.
    I'm sure the ducks would welcome votes from anywhere in the world!
    Last edited by flutterby; Dec 14th, 2006 at 01:45 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

I voted yesterday but I went to have a look incase it was something different and there was a message saying the poll had been closed to due malicious usage. I guess they realised people were voting more than once.

Seaside

Yes, I saw the same message, Roxy. When I voted it was 71% in favor of banning, but I guess they will disregard that since the poll was abused.

Yes it's a shame

Willynilly

But is it 'malicious' to try and protect wildlife?
    And is it 'malicious' to vote more than once if you know that's what the hunters do every time there's a poll like this?
    Some years ago the RSPCA in the UK voted in favour of fox hunting, after being taken over by hunters.

Willynilly

Quote Seaside View Post
    Yes, I saw the same message, Roxy. When I voted it was 71% in favor of banning, but I guess they will disregard that since the poll was abused.
    Who will disregard it?
    Does anyone take online polls seriously, knowing their propensity for being so easily skewed?

Seaside

Quote Willynilly View Post
    Does anyone take online polls seriously, knowing their propensity for being so easily skewed?
    Well if that's your opinion of online polls why did you post the link and ask us to vote on it?

Willynilly

Quote Seaside View Post
    Well if that's your opinion of online polls why did you post the link and ask us to vote on it?
    Someone emailed me saying that the vote was greatly in favour of shooting and I didn't like the possibility of that being used as evidence against the banning of duck hunting.
    I didn't ask anyone to vote. I said: 'you can vote...'
    And asking a question is not stating an 'opinion.'

Woah - what's with all the bold type?

Willynilly

Quote Roxy View Post
    Bold type is used to emphasise selected words. I wanted to say that I didn't tell / ask anyone to vote on the poll. I try not to tell anyone (Oo-er I did it again!) what to do.
    Whenever I hear the word 'bold' I hear it in a Kenneth Williams voice. Showing my age.
    I hope you're feeling better Roxy. It sounds like you need to live in a warmer clime. (Unfortunately, Queensland has been declared officially full and a razor wire fence is being erected on all borders).
    BTW - the Mozilla spell checker doesn't like 'woah' and suggested the alternatives 'Noah' and 'woad.' Maybe a nice coating of woad would stop you getting sick?

Willynilly

I just heard on the news that next year's duck hunt in Victoria has been cancelled due to the drought.
    Let's hope that Tasmania follows suit. Maybe the overwhelming vote in support of a ban, on the RSPCA website, will help.

Quote Willynilly View Post
    Bold type is used to emphasise selected words. I wanted to say that I didn't tell / ask anyone to vote on the poll. I try not to tell anyone (Oo-er I did it again!) what to do.
    Whenever I hear the word 'bold' I hear it in a Kenneth Williams voice. Showing my age.
    I hope you're feeling better Roxy. It sounds like you need to live in a warmer clime. (Unfortunately, Queensland has been declared officially full and a razor wire fence is being erected on all borders).
    BTW - the Mozilla spell checker doesn't like 'woah' and suggested the alternatives 'Noah' and 'woad.' Maybe a nice coating of woad would stop you getting sick?

Thanks for explaining. I thought you might've been being unfriendly or something. Glad to see your not!

Actually I'm from QLD and still hold my Australian citizenship!

And no, I don't see how a coating of woad would've stopped me from getting sick, but I'm not a botanist or a herbalist - so then again - it might work.

Seaside

Quote Roxy View Post
    I think its cute, in an adolescent girl kind of way. I imagine that Paris Hilton and Britney Spears would write posts like that.
    If they could write.

Here's a link to send emails to protest the duck hunting:
    Write or email the Hon. David Llewellyn, Minister for Primary Industries and Water
    1st Floor, Franklin Square Offices, Hobart Tas 7000

Email: david.llewellyn@parliament.tas.gov.au

Willynilly

Tourism is pretty big in Tasmania (along with killing marine animals and woodchipping the forests to make Japanese toilet paper) so it might be a good idea to mention that you wouldn't like to visit a place where such barbaric acts as duck hunting take place. (Not that I'm asking or telling anyone to do so! )

Thanks for the info Seaside!

Seaside

Quote Jessica Simpson View Post
    (Not that I'm asking or telling anyone to do so! )
    That's alright, hun. No one said you were.