Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favourite book as a child

Default Re: Favourite book as a child

I never used to read many books. But I loved comics. My fav was Tintin and it still is. Blistering Barnacles and Thundering Typhoons.

Quote Gary Parsons
    The Adventures of Brer Rabbit, quality stuff
    My mum always used to read them to me. I used to love them.
    I havent a fav book, as long as it was scary i loved it

Gliondrach

I like Tintin. I have a few comics/books and a volume with three stories in it. I am planning to buy another three-story volume. The people, cars, aeroplanes and trains are very acurately drawn. These stories are too good for children.

Quote abrennan
    Well Really Mr Twiddle by Enid Blyton
    My dad used to read Mr Twiddle stories to me, using hilarious voices. I'd be crying with laughter.

Quote Gliondrach
    I like Tintin. I have a few comics/books and a volume with three stories in it. I am planning to buy another three-story volume. The people, cars, aeroplanes and trains are very acurately drawn. These stories are too good for children.
    Hey G-drach, I bet you would like Asterix comics. Because one of your druids, Getafix is on there. His broths are all not vegan though.

Gliondrach

Quote Kiran
    Hey G-drach, I bet you would like Asterix comics. Because one of your druids, Getafix is on there. His broths are all not vegan though.
    I've seen a couple of Asterix films.

I read a book when I was 10yrs old called "Slave Dancer". It was about a small boy who had to work on the slave ships travelling from Africa. His job was to play the flute when the slaves were made to dance. Really sad, not very cheery at all but it made an impression on me.
    Blessings,
    Tabby
    "being normal denotes rather a lack of courage"

Seaside

Quote Kiran
    I never used to read many books. But I loved comics. My fav was Tintin and it still is. Blistering Barnacles and Thundering Typhoons.
    "Iconoclasts! Sea-gherkins! Troglodytes! Anacoluthons! Filibusters! Picaroons!"
    I love Tintin too, Kiran!

Quote tabby
    I read a book when I was 10yrs old called "Slave Dancer". It was about a small boy who had to work on the slave ships travelling from Africa. His job was to play the flute when the slaves were made to dance. Really sad, not very cheery at all but it made an impression on me.
    Blessings,
    Tabby
    I was just going to say that book!! That was my absolute favorite book for years!

Also Number the Stars is always a cliche favorite. There was this other book with two twins who lived in New Mexico and solved some sort of mystery buut I forget the name and its bothering me but oh well.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Gliondrach

Quote Wishin986
    I was just going to say that book!! That was my absolute favorite book for years!

Also Number the Stars is always a cliche favorite. There was this other book with two twins who lived in New Mexico and solved some sort of mystery buut I forget the name and its bothering me but oh well.
    It wasn't the Nancy Boys or Hardy Drew mysteries, was it?

sugarmouse

i loved beatrix potter n enid blyton..and any book that was too old for me ,lol

when i was five or six years old I used to get around the house with a book under may arm and a pencil tucked behinf my ear. My parents reckon they didn't know why I did it. They used to call me "the professor". Funny Hey. I kepst my love of books. But I ditched the pencil.

Antony

Talking Re: Favourite book as a child

i loved the velveteen rabbit and my altime fav was goodnight moon!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote Gliondrach
    It wasn't the Nancy Boys or Hardy Drew mysteries, was it?
    Nope it wasn't. This wasn't a series either, just one book. But the Nancy Drew mysteries I did read, my mom had some really old school like first print copies form when she was little that she passed down.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

i loved the pokey little puppy. i the fiifth grade our teacher read us "a wrinkle in time" maybe it was her expert reading ability or it was just a darn good book

Gliondrach

There was a book that we had in infant school which had many fairytale-type stories. I was fascinated by it. The title had the word 'rose' in it. Possibly the word 'thorn' as well.

When I was really little (under 5) I liked 'Baba the elephant' as I had a thing about Elephants. I also liked 'Topsy and Tim'. When I started reading myself (age 8 or 9) I liked 'Mrs Pepper pot', 'Goblino the witches cat', 'the satanic mill' and also 'Agatan Sax'. From them I moved to read all the Betsy Byre books. My favorite being 'The pinballs', I also liked Diana Wyne Jones. Especially 'the time of the ghost'.

I never really grew out of childrens books. I like Harry Potter, 'The amazing Mourice and his educated Rodents' by Terry Pratchett. I've just read 'the wind on fire' trilogy.

Something I've noticed though is in most books the kids eat meat. I wonder how veggie/vegan children cope with this.

Pilaf

Quote dreama
    Something I've noticed though is in most books the kids eat meat. I wonder how veggie/vegan children cope with this.
    I'm sure most Veggie/Vegan children are smart enough to realise that the authors didn't know any better. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for sometimes.

Quote Northern Lights
    In fact, there's a book I read when I was 11. We were traveling across Europe and I had it along and now I can't remember it's name and I really want to reread it! It was about a boy who turned into a cat and the book was about his 'adventures' as he dealt with the society of cats in general. Turns out the boy was actually in a coma and dreaming, but it was very real. Anyone heard of this book? Or was I dreaming it up?
    I reckon you might be talking about a book called Jenny which I also enjoyed as a child - I think it was read to me - but I can't remember the name of the author and have had no luck finding it on Amazon (too many books with that name in the title). I think it's old-ish as my mum said it was read to her when she was at school in the fifties.

I also loved everything by Diana Wynne Jones - especially Charmed Life and Dogsbody. I have been reading them all again and they are still fab.

AND a really great book that I loved as a child is Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C O'Brien. It's about a bunch of laboratory rats that are really intelligent because of the experiments that are done on them, and they manage to escape after they're taught to read. They try to set up a sort of utopian society I think. Can't remember the rest but I actually bought this book again recently because I had a really strong memory of how cool it was and I thought it was a pretty good book for a vegan...

When I was very little, my favorite book was "Tootle". It was about a train.

Quote 6 Squirrels
    I reckon you might be talking about a book called Jenny which I also enjoyed as a child - I think it was read to me - but I can't remember the name of the author and have had no luck finding it on Amazon (too many books with that name in the title). I think it's old-ish as my mum said it was read to her when she was at school in the fifties.
    My mum had a clear-out at home and managed to find that book that Northern Lights was talking about - it's actually called Jennie and is by Paul Gallico. I think it was originally called The Abandoned, and might still be called that in the US - I'm not sure.

princessemma

The Magic Faraway Tree. As a very small child I liked 'Squiggly Wiggly' it's about a caterpillar and as a teenager I was Sweet Valley mad!

One of my favourite books as a kid was Flat Stanley. It's about a boy who is squashed flat in his sleep by a notice board and goes on some amazing adventures. He is flown as a kite, he slips down a drain to find his mothers ring, but the best is when he fold himself up and posts himself to Canada for a holiday. My imagination would run wild!

I also loved the Famous Five series so much I cried when I read the last book because I would miss them so much!
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

i adored Enid Blyton as a very young child and would buy one book a week with my pocket money, but i don't think her books are very PC now...... as an older child i read Nancy Drew and The hardy Boys and loved detective mystery books, but the book that really stands out from my older childhood is Lord Of The Flies, amazing book.

Leo xx
    Bad deeds, and deeds hurtful to ourselves, are easy to do; what is beneficial and good, that is very difficult to do

My first book was "Winnie the Pooh" and it had a record with it that 'read' along with me and would tell me when to turn the pages of the book. Rum tum tittly rum tum tum....

My fav book was The Giving Tree By Shel Silverstien (I think) When my daughter was born my husband ran out and bought that book for us. I thought That was a really sweet thing for him to do.

Alright, one of my favorite books was the Little Golden Book, "Mister Dog" about Crispin Crispian and his little boy. Except I recently found a copy and reread it and it starts out, "Crispin Crispian was a conservative." hahaha. what a bizarre way to start a little kid's book! then he goes to the butcher and picks out this really gross looking meat for his boy and him to eat....it's the last book in the world i would ever choose to read now! but there was something about it that i loved as a little girl. go figure.

Thumbs up Re: Favourite book as a child

my aunt bought me 'would you rather?' by john burningham when i was about 7 or 8..it's ace..

i still have the same copy which i've read to my own kids as they've grown.
    it stimulates debate about (sometimes) manky choices (...but has nice choices in it too!!)

I loved the Blackberry Farm stories by Jane Pilgrim when I was little and read them every night to my children at the moment and they love them. I also liked 'Mary Mary' and 'Milly Molly Mandy', 'Miffy', 'The Cat in the Hat' etc...(drives me 'round the bend to read it now) I loved 'The Great Pie Robbery' by Scarry. That was probably my favourite book when I was little.

Ha, so many memories being brought back to me!! Mrs Pepperpot, Dogsbody, The Magic Faraway Tree, Famous Five....I read TONS of books as a kid. I loved reading, still do.

As a small kid I loved Noggin the Nog and the books by Beatrix Potter. When I was older I loved animal books such as The Incredible Journey and the Silver Brumby series. I liked poems too, especially From a Railway Carriage.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

That's a lovely poem RW. Do you ever read poetry now?

Yes, not for a year or so because my books have all been packed up but I love Thomas Hardy particularly. I also have some by WH Auden, and a few compilations.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Funny-I can't remember what my favorite books were as a young child. My daughter's favorite was "The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry and The Big Hungry Bear." My son liked one called "Grandpa's Teeth." We also like all the James Stevenson books. My son (a big 3 year old) refuses to listen to storybooks anymore, so we read a lot of Beverly Cleary. His favorites are the Henry Huggins books.

i used to love henry huggins!!!!!!!! henry huggins and the paper route was my favorite

Flat Stanley was cool!

I was obsessed with the Little House on the Prairie series, I think i had all but one of the books. I used to play at being Laura Ingalls!I was also crazy about the Calamity Jane film.
    George's Marvellous Medicine I tried to make my own version but never gave it to my grandmas!
    I liked the Just William series as well.
    A book called Crummy Mummy and me about a little girl whose mother was a punk and had a boyfriend called Crusher Maggot.

When I was a bit older I loved and reread loads The Silver Sword by Ian Serrailer and The Machine Gunners (excellent book)

I think my favourites were noggin the nog and captain pugwash.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I loved the Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blython I think.

When I hit my early teens I was mad on Jennings and Mallory Towers - they made boarding schools seem so cool and I spent several years dropping all the catchphrases into my conversations . . . fossilised fishcakes, I must have sounded like a right prat!

ETA I just remembered a book that made a real impression on me in my mid-teens (when the library was my escape from unhappiness at home) was Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer. I must buy a copy and re-read it! I loved it all the more when it inspired a Cure song.

Quote karmadust View Post
    i used to love henry huggins!!!!!!!! henry huggins and the paper route was my favorite

We are re-reading "Henry Huggins" and Henry and the Paper Route". My son also loves "Ribsy," and "The Mouse and the Motorcycle." They are such fun to read out loud, too. Another favorite of mine was "Bunnicula."

ha! yes! i forgot all about Bunnicula! ah, to be a child again

When I first read Bunnicula to my daughter, I read chapter after chapter to her. She was falling asleep, and I kept saying "Just one more chapter!" My kids are listening to Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing on tape. I'm always disappointed when they turn it off.

Quote karmadust View Post
    Oh my gosh! I LOVE Beverly Cleary books. I mainly read ones about Ramona. Ramona the Pest and Ramona Forever were my top 2 favourites.

Emily's Runaway Imagination is another good one-it's very autobiographical. My kids like Henry and the Clubhouse and Beezus and Ramona (we had to buy the tape set from the library when we lost one-then we found the second tape, so we've heard it many, many times).

i was still a child, when the first harry potter book came out. so i'd have to say harry potter.

Quote Charlotte View Post
    George's Marvellous Medicine I tried to make my own version but never gave it to my grandmas!
    I just finished reading that today to some 7 year olds They've been gripped. I was really shocked by the ending - I hadn't remembered what happened to Grandma!

My fave Roald Dahl was Matilda. I too tried the reinactment. I tried to move things just by looking at them, and remember being a tincy bit disappointed that it wouldn't work!

Charlotte's Web! I read it dozens of times.
    The good man is the friend of all living things. -- Mohandas Gandhi

ohhh..and 'mog the forgetful cat'

'mogs christmas'...and 'mog and the baby'

but recently judith kerr wrote 'goodbye mog' and it made me cry cos mog dies and it's quite sad

Quote Marrers View Post
    I just remembered a book that made a real impression on me in my mid-teens . . . . Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer.
    I got a copy from Amazon Marketplace (for 25p + postage) and it arrived this morning. I have re-read the last section and it made me cry all over again!

Good sperm

Matilda. From the age of four I could read fluently and every Saturday I'd go to the library, get a full card of books out (Roald Dahl's, Enid Blyton's, short novels etc) read them concurrently all week and return the next Saturday to do the same. I identified with Matilda, I was a lonely child and I too outsmarted my dad at an early age. I never saw it then but looking back I see that my mum has been a bully all my life and favoured my brother over me so much that outsiders can see it the first time they meet the family. I found solace in the fact that Matilda, too, escaped into books and that, like me, they were the security holding her life together.
    I've never found a teacher that acted as a kind, secure mother figure to me but I have found many people in my life that I can rely on and the more I realise this the better I feel. My friends are my family now, some of them need looking after, some look after me (though I still need to let my guard down and allow them to) and I am lucky enough to find people that I feel very safe around.
    So I guess I am like Matilda.

Quote emmapresley View Post
    but recently judith kerr wrote 'goodbye mog' and it made me cry cos mog dies and it's quite sad
    Oh, my daughter brought that home from school last year and we sat and read it together....it's so sad ....I was so choked by it I could barely get the words out

Quote emmapresley View Post
    ohhh..and 'mog the forgetful cat'

'mogs christmas'...and 'mog and the baby'

I can't believe mog dies! i didn't know that... I grew up with them! I used to like The lion, the witch and the wardrobe before I knew about the religious subtext but I still like the general story even though i haven't read it for years. Roald Dahl definitely, but I don't know which one as I read loads and liked all of them! maybe The Witches.
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"