Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Cheesecake

Cool Vegan Cheesecake

Delicious Choices, HERE. Mmmmmmmm cheeeeesecake.

Have you tried them gert? I've been meaning to order the sampler.

I haven't, I just stumbled upon the website today. I'm in the UK, so maybe best not to mail order.

I got one of these for my sister last year, and she said she really liked it. Hers had alcohol in it and she was pregnant, though, so she could only eat a little at a time.

ConsciousCuisine

I wish they used all organic and non-hydrogenated ingredients
    If they did, I would retail them...

Oh, I didn't know that it was unhealthy. I don't like cheesecake, anyway, so I didn't look too closely at the ingredients.

Looks yummy but I agree with gertvegan......can't imagine what it would look like after it had been through customs!

Aurora x

yes as i'm in the UK too i'll have to make do with my recipe from Animal Aid magazine for chocolate cheesecake (booze optional!) - couldn't see the recipe on here so i've posted it in the food section!

ok it's not very healthy but it won't hurt once in a while
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thumbs up Gorgeous Chocolate Cheesecake

i got this recipe from Animal Aid's Xmas magazine, gert's cheesecake post reminded me of it and it's lovely so i wanted to share it

250 ml soya milk
    One pack Tofutti PLAIN! cream cheese
    150gm chocolate e.g. Green & Black plain or Maya Gold
    1 tbsp vegan margarine
    8 to 10 crushed vegan digestive biscuits
    brandy, rum etc. to taste if desired

Melt the margarine in the bottom of a saucepan. Remove from the heat and add the crushed biscuits. Spread over the base of a 6-8 inch cake tin and place in fridge to chill. Next melt the chocolate over a pan of hot water until it is smooth. Remove from heat. Empty the cream cheese into another bowl and stir with wooden spoon until smooth, add soya milk, chocolate and alcohol if using, mix together well. Try a little of the mixture as sometimes it can be a little bitter depending on the chocolate used. If necessary add a teaspoon of sugar and mix in thoroughly. Place mixture on top of biscuit base and return to fridge (it may be quite runny, that's ok). Leave for a couple of hours or preferably overnight.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I got all excited and then found they don't ship outside the US!
    Major disappointment

sounds yuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmy
    im definately trying this soon...

Conscious Cuisine,

I think I remember getting an email from them that one of their cheesecakes will now be made with non-hydrogenated oils. Still non-organic but better. I did split their sampler with a vegan friend a few years ago. It's good but very sweet. I prefer http://www.vegantreats.com . I can pick up their stuff at a few veggy restaurants in NYC.

Wow - that "bomb" thing looks really cool!

feline01, I know it's off topic, but I must say that I love your sweet vegan twins!
    Eve

Thanks Eve,

I love them too

They are sweeter than any vegan cheesecake + much healthier for me

im going to make cheesecake for dessert on valentines day, i really like the look of gorillas 'chocolate cheeecake' but was hoping to do some sort of strawberry one.

anyone know a really good strawberry recipe that definately WONT taste 'tofu-y' and that will absolutely fool non-vegans??

anyone??

sorry Cedar, the only 'cheesecake' recipes i have either involve tofu, which i guess would taste tofu-y, or they use vegan cream cheese like the choccie one i posted. perhaps you could try the same basic recipe, but leave out the choc and put vanilla soya milk in. i don't know if the 'cheese' bit would thicken very well without chocolate though.

i was just looking for my recipe on here, and it seems it was lost in the crash, never to return!!!

i found the choc cheesecake recipe, its still here under 'sweet' recipe section. gonna go for it tomorrow with sliced strawbs on top too & vegan cream to pour over for that extra 'heart attack' element

made it for valentines today - WOW its gorgeous!!
    sliced strawberries over the top for extra decadence

do try it everyone....

PinkFluffyCloud

That sounds delicious, Cedar.

FR

Quote Gorilla
    i got this recipe from Animal Aid's Xmas magazine, gert's cheesecake post reminded me of it and it's lovely so i wanted to share it

250 ml soya milk
    One pack Tofutti PLAIN! cream cheese
    150gm chocolate e.g. Green & Black plain or Maya Gold
    1 tbsp vegan margarine
    8 to 10 crushed vegan digestive biscuits
    brandy, rum etc. to taste if desired

Melt the margarine in the bottom of a saucepan. Remove from the heat and add the crushed biscuits. Spread over the base of a 6-8 inch cake tin and place in fridge to chill. Next melt the chocolate over a pan of hot water until it is smooth. Remove from heat. Empty the cream cheese into another bowl and stir with wooden spoon until smooth, add soya milk, chocolate and alcohol if using, mix together well. Try a little of the mixture as sometimes it can be a little bitter depending on the chocolate used. If necessary add a teaspoon of sugar and mix in thoroughly. Place mixture on top of biscuit base and return to fridge (it may be quite runny, that's ok). Leave for a couple of hours or preferably overnight.
    That is really good, I make something similar to that. I always use Toffutti (the non-hydrogenated version) as opposed to using tofu (doesn't quite taste as good as Tofutti).

FR

Default So, you like vegan cheesecake?

This place has a ton of different varities available:

http://store.yahoo.com/delicious-choices/

I would hope that they have a similar taste to Tofutti's "better than cream cheese" as opposed to a tofu cheesecake (those suck).

Love

Wink Chocolate Cheesecake-here One Minute,gone The Next!

I made the following for my hometown's first ever vegan festival and it was devoured faster than you could say"A slice of that chocolate cheesecake please"
    http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/VeganDe...cheesecake.htm

Default Re: Vegan Cheesecake

Wow, that's way too expensive for me. $44 for a cheesecake.
    I'm kind of scared to try a Tofu Cheesecake.. are they any good? Does anyone know if they sell Vegan Cheesecakes at your Health Food Stores? I used to LUUUV cheesecake

Default Re: Chocolate Cheesecake

Wow that sounds good! Does vegan cream cheese taste pretty good? I can't wait to make it!

Default another chocolate cheesecake

used this yummy recipe for daughters birthday tea and all the carnies lapped it up, not realising it was vegan

i also served a vegan birthday cake on another thread, look out for that one too - also lapped up by all

Default Re: another chocolate cheesecake

Quote Gorilla
    Melt the margarine in the bottom of a saucepan. Remove from the heat and add the crushed biscuits. Spread over the base of a 6-8 inch cake tin and place in fridge to chill.
    Just as a general comment, from previous experience I've found it's best to blind bake a biscuit case first. It bonds it together a lot better and stops the whole thing falling appart. Margerine is a lot softer than cows milk butter which people adapt recipes from that suggst chilling is enough. Of course, if you add chocolate to the biscuits/margerine mixture it bonds it together even better
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Free_Tibet

Default Re: Gorgeous Chocolate Cheesecake

Thank you for this recipe

Does anyone know if this is good chocolate? http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/chocolate.html

Default Re: Gorgeous Chocolate Cheesecake

which?

Free_Tibet

Any brand of vegan chocolate which is good and is available either in Australia or online.
    Thanks

Green and blacks is organic, fairtrade and available in au. A lot of their products are labelled suitable for vegans. A little while ago they were bought by Cadbury, who I've heard mentioned (no proof thou, just gossip) have pretty lax rules on where they get their cocoa from. Until I find more evidence of this though Cadbury arn't on my personal boycott list (not that they sell any vegan products I know of now since the last ingrediants revision of Bournville about 2 years ago - i'll never understand dark chocolate with milk in (other than to mask the taste of crap cocoa/lack if cocoa butter)). Cadbury have said however that whilst they own Green and Blacks, the company's original ethics manefesto will remain the same (ie fair trade and organic) and it will be operated as a seperate business.

It's all about sweetwilliam baby.

sweetwilliam.com.au

If Cadbury bought out the company doesn't that mean they will get the profits? If so ...hmmm. I don't want to support Cadbury.

Default Tofu Cheesecake

hi!
    just wondering if anyone has a cheesecake recipe (just an ordinary lemon one, not the chocolate or fruit type and not the baked type either) that they have tried and definitely works?
    i can't get vegan creamcheese here, so it can't have that in it.
    also, i've got heaps of vegan cookbooks and i've tried a few cheesecake recipes that turned out good tasting but not rich enough, if you know what i mean.
    so i'd love to hear if you've got a recipe that you've tried and is great.
    flo

Default Re: cheesecake

Hmm, thats hard without vegan cream cheese. Not baked?? Well the one this one is baked....I mabye if you messed around with the liquid content you would not have to bake it? use this or other recipies as jumping off points, just "feel" it out you can tell when you have the texture right.

OHHH, heres an idea. soak some cashews overnight then process them(the best is in a champion juicer) and youll get a thick goo/butter. You can process this with the tofu and it will thicken it up and make it richer. Ive made a tofu cream at work like this and it is amazing!

I know you dont want a baked one but here is one I have been wanting to try, but still havent gotten around to it.

If you do try it please let me know what it was like:

Very Vegetarian by Jannequin Bennett (its a vegan cook book though*shrug*)

Oven 275 8-12 servings(probably super small)

1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour

1/4 C toasted wheat germ

1/2 C ground almonds

2 T margarine

2 T oil

Pinch salt

mix all till it resembles crumbs, press into the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch spring form pan(I would use a pie tin if I didnt have a spring form) Lightly grease sides of pan.

2 Lbs silken tofu

1 C sugar

1/2 C maple syrup

1/4 C oil

1/2 C soymilk

2 T cornstarch or 1/4 all-purpose flour

1 1/2 T lemon juice

2 T orange juice or water

Zest of 1 orange or lemon

2 T Grand Marnier

1 1/2 t. vanilla extract

Press tofu of excess water.

In a blender or food processor puree tofu, sugar, maple syrup, and oil. When its quite smooth add remaining ingredients and puree again.

pour into crust and bake in center of oven for 15 min. Then insert a dinner knife between the cake and the pan. Slide the knife around the perimeter of the pan to separate the cake from the side of the pan. This will make it easier to remove the cake later.

Repeat this a few times during baking. Cake is done when the center stops jiggling. About 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.

Allow to cool and then flip it out, if it doesnt come out the you can place it on a burner on a VERY low heat for a about 30 seconds and try again.

thanks for that - it looks lovely.
    i actually made a pretty similar one a couple of days ago. can you believe, in the last four days i've made THREE cheesecakes!!! all in the quest for the perfect one (my family/friends/aquaintances/office-mates are all sick of cheesecake now! )
    the first one i made was really nice, a baked one, but didn't taste 'cheesy' enough. the second one i put heaps of strawberries in and was almost perfect but not rich enough. the third one was like a mix between custard tasting & cheese but too sloppy. i think this one will have to be frozen - that always seems to rectify any problem with desserts - just freeze it!
    anyway, cheers for the recipe. i should post my little trial ones so that you can all tell me what i did wrong! ha ha
    have a nice day

Hello

Hope you manage to perfect your cheesecake Flojo.

Lolamako - do you have a good recipe for a lemon cheesecake that does have creamcheese? It would be much appreciated.

I usually use half silken tofu and half cream cheese, but I don't think it would set enough without chocolate in it so I haven't been brave enough to attempt a lemon one yet.

Quote Love
    I made the following for my hometown's first ever vegan festival and it was devoured faster than you could say"A slice of that chocolate cheesecake please"
    http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/VeganDe...cheesecake.htm
    Hey, that's my recipe Cool.

That's a very good tip about the chocolate IN the biscuit base Mr Flibble. Think that may have to be done.

this book (published in 1986 and what I view to be the granddaddy of vegan recipe books) has a good lemon cheesecake recipe in it based on silken tofu which is easy to make. I've only tried it the once, and it was several years ago, but if memory serves it was pretty good. I tend to only make chocolate cheesecakes these days

I've put it on my wishlist. Thanks

The recipes in it are all very old school (what with being from the 80s and all) and tend to be not very exciting, but they're well researched, have a tendancy to work as they should and I know several others who feel the same way about it.

Quote cherry
    That's a very good tip about the chocolate IN the biscuit base Mr Flibble. Think that may have to be done.
    More chocolate, need more chocolate. A layer of chocolate fudge on the top of a chocolate cheesecake is also recomended

Mmmm.

I have :

Sinfully Vegan by Lois Dierterly

Now, some of the recipes are total flops, but we did this one last thanksgiving and HOLY SH*T it was sooooo good. I am a cheesecake nut so it better be real BAD, rich, fat, creamy, all the good stuff. I would make this more often but it was really expensive with all the tofutti cream cheeses..

so here you go:

New York-Style Cheesecake

oven 375 coat one 9 inch springform pan with oil

Crust-(I didnt make the crust and I think that the one in the other recipe sounds better)

1/2 C maple syrup

1/4 C canola oil

1 3/4 C whole wheat flour

1/2 t vanilla

(this is more like a pie crust and I would prefer a graham craker crust, Ive heard health valley makes a vegan one)

Blend all in a food processor or hand mix ina bowl. Press into pan prick with a fork and bake for 10 min. Reduce oven to 350 and set crust aside

Filling-(this is where it gets good)

4 8oz containers soy cream cheese

1 box (12 ounces) firm silken tofu

1 C granulated sugar

1 t vanilla

1/3 C unbleached white flour

(I think that you could add lemon extract? for the lemon flavor, and for the top make a lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch or agar agar and lemon zest, lime might be good too, syrup like topping)

Blend cream cheese and tofu in a food processor until smooth, add sugar, and blend again. Add flour and vanilla blend again. Pour into crust. Place on top rack of oven. place a shallow pan filled with water on the bottom rack of oven.

Bake for 50 minutes.

There is a topping for this but I really dont think it sounds good at all. You can always do whatever kinda topping you want.

not fair!!!!!!

i've got that book too - true some are flops - but haven't tried the cheesecake because i can't get vegan cream cheese here!
    have you tried the jelly donuts? i wanted to try them in the weekend, but bit nervous with that book - some of the recipes are REALLY dodgy.

Okay, I have that book too and have only made one recipe. Please tell me which are flops so I don't waste time making them. Please?!?
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I also have that book and haven't tried anything from it yet, so I'd also appreciate knowing which recipes not to try

ok, heres the flops - cherry, cherry not contrary cake has a weird taste (maybe the chickpea flour?), choc chip cookies are just gross, no wet ingredients and fluffy mint frosting is like glue.
    i've read that maybe there are a few kinks in the recipes that can be ironed out, but i've got lots of other books that have better recipes that i can rely on, so i'm not really willing to go through any more stuff-ups.
    i can honestly recommend 'The Artful Vegan' - Tucker, which has an awesome german choc cake recipe (lot of the recipes look like heaps of work, but they break down into smaller parts and you don't have to do all of it because those recipes stand alone as well). i can also recommend 'Everyday Vegan' - Burton, the more-ish brownies are the best i've ever tasted, honestly, i ended up making them four times in a fortnight!

Quote flojo
    i can honestly recommend 'The Artful Vegan' - Tucker, which has an awesome german choc cake recipe (lot of the recipes look like heaps of work, but they break down into smaller parts and you don't have to do all of it because those recipes stand alone as well).
    Nice book, but I wouldn't recomend it for anyone outside the US who wants a recipe book they can just pick off the shelf and follow instructions. Tucker is passionate about using local fresh organic ingrediants, which I can definately understand, but this makes it a lot harder for people who don't have access to these to make most of the recipes. I like food and it is a good book from what I can tell, but I haven't been able to sample many of their recipes the way they were meant to be made, only my semi educated adaptations.

but i ordered this in from the US and i'm in Australia, and haven't had a problem at all! you really just need an asian mini-mart/deli and fresh ingredients. also, a wholesale place that sells spices/flours/dried fruit/nuts etc is great - we've got one of those up the road too. so i suppose it wouldn't be a good book if you weren't near any of those places.