Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Cheesecake

Default Re: cheesecake

Quote flojo
    you really just need an asian mini-mart/deli and fresh ingredients.
    I live in one of the cities in the UK with a large asian population and I hafta say, these places don't really exist

I have a chinese supermarket close to me, but it's just as crappy and tacky as a normal supermarket. Rows upon rows of ready made sauces. The fact they are imported and don't have english writting on doesn't impress me, nor does it a malaysian girl I know, who thinks it must be a front for a money launderying business! They have a few things I can't get elsewhere, but it's definately not a deli.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Thanks for the replies!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

oh well! suppose the book isn't for everyone then! it works great for me. i'll consider myself lucky to have a gread mini-mart nearby and access to the other ingredients. cheers for your info

Quote flojo
    i can also recommend 'Everyday Vegan' - Burton, the more-ish brownies are the best i've ever tasted, honestly, i ended up making them four times in a fortnight!
    Arrgghhh. I was so excited about the brownies because I have the Everyday Vegan book. Except it's by Atchison, not Burton! No brownies.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Have you ever bought a recipe book because you really like the looks of what's on the front cover, only to find that there isn't a recipe for the thing on the front, which was probably just a non vegan library shot the publisher used?! I have

Tonight I went to a vegetarian restaurant and had a vegan blueberry cheesecake for dessert

It's main ingredient was tofu, (not vegan cream cheese) and it was okay, though a little lacking in flavour compared to what I remember dairy cheesecake to taste like.

Quote Mr Flibble
    Have you ever bought a recipe book because you really like the looks of what's on the front cover, only to find that there isn't a recipe for the thing on the front, which was probably just a non vegan library shot the publisher used?! I have
    yep! 'sinfully vegan' - has the most gorgeous choc cake with strawberries on the front, but if i'm not wrong its not actually in the book! (maybe i just can't figure out which one it is?)
    flo

I've got that book too, and was annoyed that I couldn't find the cover recipe inside. No reference to it at all, in fact .

Here's another cheesecake recipe. I have made it myself and it's very tasty.

Base:

8oz/200g digestive biscuit crumbs
    3oz/75g vegan margarine

Topping:

10oz/250g tofu, soft textured if possible
    2oz/50g vegan margarine
    1 1/2 tsp gelozone or other vegan gelatine replacement
    5fl.oz/125ml soya milk
    finely grated zest of 2 lemons
    2oz/50g caster sugar
    a few drops of natural vanilla flavouring to taste

Melt the margarine for the base and mix it thoroughly into the biscuit crumbs. Press this mixture into a 9in/22cm flan case (or anything else that's similar) and leave to cool and set.

Melt the margarine for the topping. Disolve gelozone in the cold milk and then stir mixture into the melted margarine, heat until boiling point then blend this with all the reamining ingredients except the fruit. The mixture should be really smooth and creamy.

Spread the tofu mixture over the cooled base and chill for a few hours.

Quote Spiral
    yay! thats exactly what i was looking for! i was trying to make one pretty much with those exact ingredients
    thank you - i'm so happy now can't wait to get home from work and make it!
    do you think i could use the same quantity of Agar as you did with the vegan gelatine?
    flo

Quote Spiral
    ...then blend this with all the reamining ingredients except the fruit...
    sorry - when you say fruit, do you just mean the lemon? or do you think it is possible to add other fruit, say strawberries, and still have the mixture set hard enough?
    flo

Quote Spiral
    Spiral, you are amazing!!! this was the most wonderful cheesecake! thank you sooooooo much

it worked out perfectly and i think i'll double it next time so that it fills up more of the cake tin. it tasted unbelievable!!!
    flo

Blueshark

link was on Erics Diner pod cast. Seemingly amazing cheesecakes. I bought the recipe book - would be wrong to publish it here, but it is only $10 US.

Will attempt to make one!!

Blueshark, I saw that website and am hoping that the one store which sells those cheesecakes is still open here in Connecticut! If they are truly good I will also get the downloadable "book." I'm not a big cheesecake fan but I know a few........

http://deliciouschoices.com/index.html

It says they aren't making the cheesecakes anymore

Oh no, you're right! I'll just have to make my own.

princessemma

Default Tofu Cheesecake

For anyone who has heard of 'The Cake Scoffer' book it's produced by animal aid and I highly reccomend the cheesecake. It is so easy.

200g tofu (just standard doesn't need to be silken)
    750ml vanilla vegan ice-cream eg; Swedish glace
    250g disestive biscuits
    big knob of vegan marg

1. Bash the biscuits into crumb.
    2. Melt marg in a saucepan and add the biscuit crumbs,mix until well coated.
    3. Press biscuit mixture into flan-type dish or deep cake pan, about 9cm round. I recommend a loose bottomed one if possible.
    4. Preheat oven to gas mark 5 or 190 degrees C.
    5. Blend the tofu and ice-cream together, I used a hand-blender. Pour onto biscuit base, bake in oven for 30 mins.
    6. Cool and then refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.

You can add a topping but you don't have to. I took mine to my local veggie and vegans meeting and I suddenly became everyone's best friend.

Quote Spiral
    1 1/2 tsp gelozone or other vegan gelatine replacement
    Does anyone know of a decent vegan gelatine substitute that is available in UK shops? I've had a look for agar agar flakes but so far no luck.

Could you use kosher gelatine? I hear it is vegan. I can get agar agar here but that won't help you much.

Hoorah! I found some agar flakes in a local health food shop today. They were in the Japanese food section. I had a look for kosher gelatine but all I could find was the beef kind.

princessemma

The Cake Scoffer do one;

250g digestive biscuits crushed
    knob of vegan marg
    750ml vegan ice-cream
    200g tofu, any type

Basically melt the marg in a pan mix in the biscuits put them into a cake tin about 9 inches in diameter.
    Blend the tofu with the ice-cream and add to the base.
    Cook on gas mark 5 for 30 minuets till the top starts to brown, leave to cool and then chill in the fridge.
    You can add a fruity topping but it's delicious without.

Quote coconut
    Hoorah! I found some agar flakes in a local health food shop today. They were in the Japanese food section. I had a look for kosher gelatine but all I could find was the beef kind.
    Be careful, Kosher gelatin isn't always truly vegan. One brand (I think it's Emes) has been found to have animal ingredients through testing, though the company denied it. Since then, Emes has apparently gone "belly up." (See http://www.vegparadise.com/news56.html) There is vegan gelatin, but I've only been able to find it in online stores.
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote flojo
    Spiral, you are amazing!!! this was the most wonderful cheesecake!
    I'll second that!! I tried that recipe last night and its the best tasting dessert I've made in ages. Keep dreaming up your sweet ideas Spiral

Default Re: Tofu Cheesecake

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you for the cheesecake ingredients, i wanted a recipe that was simple and hassle free and tasted delicious too and that's exactly what i got, my 1st ever strawberry cheesecake turned out absolutely delicious and i had it all to myself not in one go of course...cant wait for the next one!

Ruj

How much is a big knob of margarine? I never ever heard anyone use that term here... except for door knob.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Ha ha, well i'm not quite sure maybe the size of a door knob?...lol. What i did was melt 2 tablespoons of butter in saucepan then added the biscuit crumbs and stirred, then added bit more margarine till the crumbs were nicely covered....better to add little at a time, i'm not too familiar with ounces/cup so just go by the spoonful it worked tho.

I made a strawberry tofu cheesecake last week and it was quite nice. My son loved it though and just kept asking for more

I made a marbled chocolate & vanilla mousse ('cheese') cake earlier this week

that looks DIVINE, however, there wasn't a recipe on the site!
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote Mr Flibble
    I made a marbled chocolate & vanilla mousse ('cheese') cake earlier this week
    How did you get the rim round the top edge?!

skill?

nah, only joking - luck

Although, if you pour the white in first, then the black, you can mix it up almost to the edge and hence gain a rim, but it's not perfect unless your cordination is good.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Mr Flibble
    skill?

nah, only joking - luck

Although, if you pour the white in first, then the black, you can mix it up almost to the edge and hence gain a rim, but it's not perfect unless your cordination is good.
    There you have it; You have to have the poise of a fire dancer to get it right

Default Re: Silken Tofu

Heres a recipie for turning ito into cheesecake...

check this...

Tofu 'Cheesecake'
    A wonderfully rich and flavorsome dessert, with a much lower fat content than a traditional cheesecake.
    Recipe for Tofu 'Cheesecake', contributed by Moira Adams
    The name is misleading, as this is a cheesecake without any cheese. But it tastes every bit as good as the traditional version, and is very much healthier.
    The cake should be baked in a 7-inch (18 cm) round tin with a loose base.
    • ¼ cup (2 oz, 50 g) dairy-free margarine
    • 2/3 cup (2 oz, 50 g) medium oatmeal
    • Just under ½ cup (2 oz, 50 g) wholewheat (wholemeal) flour
    • 4 ripe bananas
    • One 21 oz. (600 g) pack of silken tofu
    • A few drops of vanilla extract (optional)
    Oven: Pre-heat to 350F (180C)
    Cream the margarine with the oatmeal and flour. Spread the mixture onto the base of the oiled tin. Bake for about ten minutes.
    Using a food processor or blender, mix the remaining ingredients into a smooth purée. Pour this over the base. Return to the oven, and bake for a further 45 minutes, or until the top is firm. Cool before removing from the tin.

See also:

Recipe for Tofu 'Cheesecake' (March 2003)
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote Cherry
    Well said Catmogg Cheesecake is the only way to go. I'm eating a bit of chocolate cheesecake now

There's a cheesecake thread round here somewhere.

Lol. OOOOO can i have a bite? Of the cheese cake, i mean, obviously.

Is it this one from your site?? Cos if it is, i really neeeeeeeeed to have some.

Chocolate Cheesecake

Last time I made this I did it with green & black's espresso chocolate. It was pretty good I'd recommend it.
    Serves:8-10

Ingredients
    Biscuit base:
    200g (8 oz) vegan digestive biscuits (M&S ones are vegan - thanks Penny).
    75g (3 oz) vegan margarine
    Topping:
    250g (1 tub) Swedish Soft (vegan cream cheese available in some health food shops)
    170g/6oz (1/2 pack) soft tofu
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    60g (2 1/2 oz) caster sugar
    125g plain chocolate
    1 tsp vanilla essence

Instructions
    1) Grease a 17cm (6 1/2") loose bottomed cake tin.
    2) Crush the digestive biscuits.
    3) Melt the margarine in a pan, and pour over the digestive biscuit crumbs. Mix thoroughly, and pour into the cake tin. Press down evenly with a spoon until the base is very firmly compacted.
    4) Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering water.
    5) Put tofu, melted chocolate, vegetable oil, sugar and vanilla essence in a blender and blend until smooth.
    6) Mash the Swedish Soft in a bowl. Stir in the chocolate mixture.
    7) Pour the topping over the biscuit base and chill in the fridge for a couple of hours before releasing from the tin. It firms up nicely and looks great with chocolate curls. (My niece and I made the ones in the pic with a potato peeler!! So they're not perfect!)

Cos if it is..........i really want some.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Lol Yes, that's the one No white chocolate tho. Speaking of which the veganstore seem to have stopped selling it.

Yeh, I'll save you the last bit - ok, well I'll eat it and think of you, Catmogg!

Yeah, thanks.

- Byron

lol Doesn't travel so well in the post

Quote Cherry
    lol Doesn't travel so well in the post
    sob sob...

Check out this book..

The Tofu Cook Book by Leah Leneman.

MMMMMMMMMMMM theres a rasberry cheese cake right there on the front cover!!

Its got arrow root in it though...whatever that is?

- Byron

Quote catmogg
    Its got arrow root in it though...whatever that is?
    It's generally used as a thickener - like cornflour but will not turn whatever you're making white. It used to be more widely used, but has lost popularity in the past 20 years. Personally I hate and generally avoid it.

Raspberry cheesecake sounds gooooood Catmogg. There's a raspberry farm just up the road from me Roll on Summer.

Quite sure the arrowroot isn't essential. I still haven't been brave enough to attempt a chocolate-less cheesecake recipe but I'm building up to it. Sure that any early attempts will still be edible even if they're a bit splodgy!

Quote princessemma
    For anyone who has heard of 'The Cake Scoffer' book it's produced by animal aid and I highly reccomend the cheesecake. It is so easy.

200g tofu (just standard doesn't need to be silken)
    750ml vanilla vegan ice-cream eg; Swedish glace
    250g disestive biscuits
    big knob of vegan marg

1. Bash the biscuits into crumb.
    2. Melt marg in a saucepan and add the biscuit crumbs,mix until well coated.
    3. Press biscuit mixture into flan-type dish or deep cake pan, about 9cm round. I recommend a loose bottomed one if possible.
    4. Preheat oven to gas mark 5 or 190 degrees C.
    5. Blend the tofu and ice-cream together, I used a hand-blender. Pour onto biscuit base, bake in oven for 30 mins.
    6. Cool and then refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.

You can add a topping but you don't have to. I took mine to my local veggie and vegans meeting and I suddenly became everyone's best friend.

I made this and it is lovely. I stupidly left it in the oven for too long as it took a while to brown, but it is nontheless one of the best cheesecakes I've eaten.

Default Re: Cake Mistake

I made a chocolate (gluten free) cheesecake...mmm nice. It was made with cream cheese and tofu I think...
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Cool What sort of biscuits did you use?

"It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Aha. Thanks Sarah. I'll maybe suggest that in the recipe. I need to get more gluten-free friendly.

I love their custard creams

VeganJohn

Vegan tofu cheesecakes are divine. Anyone who hasn't made one should do so asap!!

Default Vegan Cheesecake

I have been dying to have a big piece of cheesecake.

Anyone have a recipie that might satifsy this craving?

Default Re: Vegan Cheesecake

How about running a search for cheesecake (titles only, posts)? You'll find most things have been discussed at one point or another and you'll get answers much faster.

Default Re: Vegan Cheesecake

Hi, busdedinde We also have this thread...

Default Cheesecake using silken style tofu

Does anyone have any good recipes for it?

Many thanks in advance.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.