Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Vegan Cheesecake

Default Re: Cheesecake using silken style tofu

Yeh, but mine has vegan cream cheese in it too. (Follow green link below...think it's in the desserts section)

Default Cheesecake topping

Hiya guys!

I was thinking of making a cheesecake tomorrow with some vegan cheesecake mix I bought. I was wondering if anyone knows how I can make the jelly like topping the usual ones have?

If not, I'm thinking of just sprinkling cinnamon and brown sugar on the top and maybe slicing up strawberries

Default Re: Cheesecake topping

Do you mean a glaze? I should have a recipe for an orange one.

Yes! That's the word

Okay I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

I thought you just put jam or fruit on top?

Asda do sachets of Orange jelly glaze
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Default I really want this cheesecake

Hi,

I've asked this question before. I want to have this incredible sounding cheesecake. TO make it, I need "Egg Replacer". I've asked here previously. A couple of people have been helpful directing me to stores in the UK. However, I'm in Los Angeles.

I've looked in Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Trader Joe's, and Ralph's (a regular supermarket). I've been looking for it next to the Egg Beaters and in the Vegan food section.

I REALLY want this cheesecake:
    http://www.invinciblemuffin.org/vegan_cheesecake.html

Can someone help?

thanks

Default Re: I really want this Cheesecake.....

I have found it at my local small health food store (the one that sells vitamins and stuff). I've also seen it in the larger regular grocery stores. But I'm in Canada so it might be a little different in Cali.

There are lots of recipes for vegan cheesecake which do not have egg replacer in, how about you try one that is more tofu based? I've made one before that has a topping made of silken tofu, dates, lemon juice, apple juice and tahini then baked.
    I've never used egg replacer myself. Sometimes when a recipe calls for it, I use soya flour instead.

I'd just miss the egg replacer out if I were you. Sounds like a strange addition anyway as chilled cheesecakes don't have egg in them in the first place, and it should be firm enough with all that cream cheese in it.

Henry's marketplace carries egg replacer. There is one in Chino Hills and one in Rancho Cucamonga, which is a bit off a drive from LA, but my parents live in Chino so I usually go there every 2 weeks or so. Henry's is owned by Wild Oats so I'm suprised that one store has it but the other doesn't. The cookbook "Vegan With a Vengance" has suggestions on how to replace eggs in a recipe. I own the book and would have posted some of the suggestions for you, but a friend is borrowing it right now.

I find it in the baking section - it's dry, in a box - Ener-G Egg Replacer

It looks lovely - does anyone know of the UK equivalent to the measurements?

Here is the website you can order it from, along with many other vegan products.
    http://www.ener-g.com/Articles/Artic...spx?pageId=397

i cannot imagine for one second that whole foods doesnt have that ener-g egg replacer.

or any other health food store.

try asking an employee. its not that obscure of an item that they'd look at you funny...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote Noogle View Post
    It looks lovely - does anyone know of the UK equivalent to the measurements?
    "Cup" measures are available, I got mine in Wilkinsons. I now use them all the time for internet recipes. Or just use a cup(not mug) and estimate.

Why bother buying egg replacer when you can just make it yourself?

Mix 2 tbsp flaxmeal with 3 tbsp of water and let them sit long enough to congeal. This equals one egg.

RubyDuby

I always blend the flaxmeal and water til it thickens, but it is pretty neato how the textures turns all slimey like a raw egg

plus its way healthier.

but... not sure if it would be suitable texture for cheesecake.
    There is EnerG replacer at the Whole Foods Market here... did u ask the customer service ppl? they will order some if they dont have it in.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

thats the kind of egg replacer i use in everything.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    but... not sure if it would be suitable texture for cheesecake.
    I don't know, but I use flax eggs in absolutely all my baking and it always turns out nicely.

<3veg<3

I was going crazy for awhile trying to find energ egg replacer until I realized it was dry and in a box. The whole time, I had been looking in the cold section where the soy yogurts and stuff are.

If you look at the ingredients of egg replacer it seems to be mainly potato flour and salt. Potato flour can definitely thicken up soups etc and might be worth experimenting with since it's sold in the supermarket next to all the other flours etc..

Default Help! I need a great cheesecake recipe

Hi, I am from Miami but married to someone from Hull. We are having a wedding celebration there. I want to make a vegan cheesecake. I have never attempted one here but I know all the recipes I have use some ingredients that can be hard to find in Hull (and vice versa). I found one UK recipe that had creamed block coconut which I can't get here. Can some of you recommend your favorite recipe. Thank you!

RubyDuby

Default Re: Help! I need a great cheesecake recipe

here's one.

RubyDuby

and a few more. theres a link to more in that thread.

hope u can find one that works for you!

even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Thank you all! I am going to try to of the recipes today as a practice run.

Jennie

Question Cheesecake lover... helpies pleasie?

Heya! Ms.Vegan loves a cheesecake, but we made one recently for my son's 14th birthday, we followed a vs recipe, to the letter, but it used tofu? Tofu is lush, but the cheesecake was eww, gross! we all thought so, sorry tofu, sorry vegan society, but that recipe jus didn't wash with us! So, any ideas? How can we make a scrummy vegan cheesecake without using tofu? everything seems to point in tofu's direction...all the veggie recipes use phillie cheese, can you use cheeseley or some other vegan spready type cheese instead? If not, anyone got any yummy ideas? am open to experimenting, but don't send me any pics in your replies, cause Ii can't see them lol! Thanks fellow vegans, look forward to hearing back. Much love, Jennie. xx
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

Default Re: Cheesecake lover....helpies pleasie?

I make this pretty often: http://www.invinciblemuffin.org/vegan_cheesecake.html.

Its delicious. And it is Tofutti cream cheese based (which is made from tofu, but taste wonderful). I try to avoid desserts made with tofu as I can't usually get them to taste right.

Anyway, this cheesecake is great with fruit topping, or else I often make a mocha one by subbing in strong coffee that has been chilled for the water (plus a little extra) , and adding melted chocolate chips.

I hope this helps!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Jennie

Smile Re: Cheesecake lover....helpies pleasie?

Thankyou so much! I have wondered if that Tofutti cheese was made from tofu, but you'd never guess would you? the texture is so...urm...different? tofu hasta be the most versatile thing I've ever eaten or cooked with, amazing inbvention! Thanks again, have copied/pasted that link, and will give it a try in the week! Jen. Ps, what does your signature mean, if you don't mind me asking? xx
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

Have you tried Cherry's chocolate cheesecake? It's divine
    http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getreci...ate_cheesecake

Use Tofutti cream cheese instead of Swedish Soft (cos I can't get it).

I have raspberry cheesecake and also a lemon one, both made with tofu but they don't taste of tofu! If anyone wants the recipes.

tofutti cream cheese is the way to go with this one.
    Or use silken style tofu, which does work well, as it's softer and sweeter than normal tofu. (I used silken tofu to make choc brownies the other day, and my mates thought i'd bought them at Tesco)

Quote AliBlack
    Use Tofutti cream cheese instead of Swedish Soft (cos I can't get it).
    Yeh...sorry about that. When I invented the recipe I could ONLY get swedish soft, but I use the tofutti one now. I must change that at some point.

Default Re: Cheesecake lover... helpies pleasie?

I'd say silken style tofu is a must for a cheesecake. It is long life stuff in a tetra pack, supermarkets often sell it in the chinese food area with the soy sauces, coconut milks etc. It comes in different textures such as soft or firm but people who cook a bit more can adivse better as to which one to use.

Don't try it with normal fresh tofu (or smoked tofu as we did once by accident - not a nice dessert at all!)
    Last edited by Marrers; Dec 1st, 2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: to add
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote ms.vegan View Post
    Thankyou so much! I have wondered if that Tofutti cheese was made from tofu, but you'd never guess would you? the texture is so...urm...different? tofu hasta be the most versatile thing I've ever eaten or cooked with, amazing inbvention! Thanks again, have copied/pasted that link, and will give it a try in the week! Jen. Ps, what does your signature mean, if you don't mind me asking? xx
    No problem! I hope it works out.
    As for my signature, I am engaged and my fiance's last name is Beane
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Default Re: Cheesecake lover... helpies pleasie?

The best vegan cheese cake I have ever had was from Sweets From the Earth. Its a toronto based company : http://sweetsfromtheearth.com/products.htm

Default Re: Tofu Cheesecake

Ok I need help with making tofu cheesecake. Most of the recipes I've seen require that you bake the cheesecake before serving. I tried this and the silken tofu ended up all "set", like a scrambled egg consistency. I noticed that most of the recipes I've seen are American - are cheesecakes in the US usually baked? I want something creamy like we get in the UK. Is it safe to not bake silken tofu? Has anyone had good (or bad) experiences with non-baked cheesecake?

Quote jimmeh View Post
    Ok I need help with making tofu cheesecake. Most of the recipes I've seen require that you bake the cheesecake before serving. I tried this and the silken tofu ended up all "set", like a scrambled egg consistency. I noticed that most of the recipes I've seen are American - are cheesecakes in the US usually baked? I want something creamy like we get in the UK. Is it safe to not bake silken tofu? Has anyone had good (or bad) experiences with non-baked cheesecake?
    I recently made this from the Eighth Day cafe in Manchester. It turned out really good and really lemony, yummm! I know you have to cook part of it, but you dont need to stick it in the oven, just chill it.

Ingredients - Serves 1 to 12
    Base
    12oz (350g) digestive biscuits
    6 oz (175g) melted margarine

Filling
    1 packet plain tofu
    juice and rind of 2 lemons
    2 oz (50g) cornflour
    3 table spoons golden syrup
    ¾ pint (450ml) water

Method

• To make the base, crumble the biscuits into a bowl, melt the margarine and add to the biscuit crumbs. Mix and press into a well-greased, 8 inch diameter flan tin. Try not to get a thick welt where the sides meet the base. Set on one side to cool.
    • Put the water, golden syrup and cornflour in a pan. Heat gradually to boiling point, stirring well to avoid lumps. When boiling, reduce the heat and allow to thicken.
    • Once the mixture has thickened, add the tofu and lemon and blend until creamy. Pour into the base and chill.

This cheesecake is good as it is, but for a really special treat, top with black currants, raspberries or similar fresh fruit.
    Last edited by cat21; Mar 15th, 2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: not copied from website correctly

Brilliant. Thanks cat21. Sounds like the cheesecake we get in Mono in Glasgow. I'll spend the rest of the weekend experimenting.

Default Cheesecake

After months of fantasising about cheesecake, I found the parselysoup cheesecake recipe and have ordered some tofutti online. So I'm just waiting for it to arrive, and then I'm going to make me some delicious chocolate cheescake and take it to my studygroup! i am ridiculously excited about this!
    Bit nervous though, about the idea of giving a load of omnivores a vegan cheesecake, I want it to be a success! Any tips?

Default Re: Cheesecake

I know this is a bit sad but I'd say don't tell them it's vegan until after they've tried it. People are weird about "vegan" food, but will happily stuff their faces with food where they don't have the first idea of the ingredients, in my experience.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

The above ^
    Quote ZoeP View Post
    I want it to be a success!
    It should be if sticking to the recipe. Our Cherry-pops is smart one
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote ZoeP View Post
    I found the parselysoup cheesecake recipe and have ordered some tofutti online.
    If you can get it, then I'd use pure cheese spread rather than tofutti, it's useless as a cheese spread but perfect for cheesecake.

Default Re: Vegan Cheesecake

I haven't seen the Pure cheese spread for many a moon!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Default Re: Vegan Cheesecake

Quote twinkle View Post
    I haven't seen the Pure cheese spread for many a moon!
    Same. Actually, now I think about it I seem to recall someone saying it had been discontinued for reformulating or something.

Quote twinkle View Post
    I know this is a bit sad but I'd say don't tell them it's vegan until after they've tried it. People are weird about "vegan" food, but will happily stuff their faces with food where they don't have the first idea of the ingredients, in my experience.
    Yeah, I've experienced that already. strangely enough, even with things that aren't specifically vegan, bnut just happen to be so. The sainsburys lighter choice salad cream happens to be vegan, and despite being the same as i have always used in my potato salad in my pre vegan days, she still thought it wasn't as nice! ridiculous!
    I'm a bit skeptical about the tofu in a cheesecake myself tbh :s

Default My best cheesecake, it's almost like New York cheesecake!

I made this on Saturday, and my family said it tasted almost exactly like New York cheesecake (only with lemon), and I agree - it's just delicious! And you can just drop the lemon and add vanilla instead, or chocolate, berries or whatever you like. I think I'll make it a raspberry swirl next time.

I tried to put pictures in this thread, but I couldn't, for some reason. But there are pictures of the cake (both finished and the whole baking process) in my blog, here.

Crust:
    1/2 package biscuits of your choice, I use Digestive
    About 50 grams vegan margarine, softened or melted
    2 tablespoons brown sugar

I usually crush the biscuits in my food processor and add the margarine and sugar while pulsing, you may have to add some more margarine.
    Put the crust-mixture in a round cake pan, bottom covered with wax paper. Press it a little up the sides. Put the cake pan in the fridge while you prepare the filling:

2 boxes (one box is 8 ounces) of Tofutti cream cheese, original
    1 package (about 350 gram?) silken tofu, press out the water
    1 cup (2,5 dl) sugar
    2 tablespoons corn starch
    5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    The shredded peel of 2 lemons

Set the oven to 180 C/350 F.

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend it until it's very smooth. Taste the filling, and add more sugar if it's not sweet enough. I think it's perfect!
    Pour it over the crust, put it in the oven and let it bake for 40-45 minutes.

Take it out of the oven and let it cool for about half an hour before you put it in the fridge and let it sit there for at least 4-5 hours before serving. When the cake is finished cooling in the fridge, it's very easy to remove it from the cake pan and put it on a nice cake platter with the help of a spatula.
    It's a good idea to make this cake the day before you plan to serve it, so it can sit in the fridge overnight.