Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: alcohol

Stu

Default Re: alcohol

Grolsch, Heineken, Carlsberg are all veganish. Most German beers, in fact.

I was under the impression that certain sizes of grolsch are not vegan?

Stu

Yes, but I think she was asking specifically about draught.

becks, jever, warsteiner, holsten.... the usual german beers are all vegan as long as they are brewed after the rules of the german "reinheitsgebot". some of the dark beers might not be vegan or are doubtful to be vegan cus the companies didnīt answer to enquiries or only with vague facts.
    Last edited by Elahiya; Aug 16th, 2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: typing error
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

thank you for the replies so if i went to pub id say hello can i have .........?

yes you can! i saw they often serve german beer in pubs if that makes you feel more comfortable...

Other than the fact that german beers may be brewed under license in different countries, there's evidence as far as I can see to confirm that there is infact no such current german law that should make german beer any more likely to be vegan than english beer. Info here:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...man#post478400

I like beer and would very much like to be proved wrong.

Quote mchelle81 View Post
    thank you for the replies so if i went to pub id say hello can i have .........?
    "A bottle of Beck's please.." should now work in almost any pub in the UK.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Out of interest, what were the two vegan ciders you found? Were they actually labelled Vegan? I like cider

yes i only get things that are actually labelled vegan it was a sainsburys own brand low alcohol cider for 99p and the other ne was called so organic i think and that was 1.99 i tried 99p one was nice sainsburys is really good for labelling there vegan things i got loads from there including bread, wraps, crumpets, jam, baked beans, cider,lager,fizzy pop,juice,licorice,biscuits,chocolate that all i can think of off top of my head at mo all of them clearly labelled vegan o and noodles,im really impressed with sainsburys and there labelling much easier than asda

"I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

yes i only get things that are actually labelled vegan it was a sainsburys own brand low alcohol cider for 99p and the other ne was called so organic i think and that was 1.99 i tried 99p one was nice sainsburys is really good for labelling there vegan things i got loads from there including bread, wraps, crumpets, jam, baked beans, cider,lager,fizzy pop,juice,licorice,biscuits,chocolate that all i can think of off top of my head at mo all of them clearly labelled vegan o and noodles,im really impressed with sainsburys and there labelling much easier than asda
    Totally! this story takes me back a couple of years to when i started looking for vegan products instead of just veggie. Sainsburys made it so much easier due to their labelling! I was like "no way! chocolate boubons are vegan! SWEET!", hehe.

o noooo chocolate bourbons i forgot to look for them aarrrgggghhhh ill have to look again tomorrow i know i was in there other day like NO WAY all this is vegan people must thought i was a loony they got quite a few marinades to and onion relish a type of branston pickle its great at mo now i can say when i get the your vegan what the heck do u eat there be so many things i can say well actually i can have .....take a deap breath and begin my list LOL

I needed to take a deep breath after reading that.

^ HAHAHA! Totally. But you have to love Mchelle's complete lack of regard for punctuation. I think it's very rock n roll

i didnt realise i was in a exam to remember my punctuation ?
    ill have to remember that next time then if it bothers people so much

Perhaps the odd full stop to pause for mental breath might be nice, but not essential at all.
    x
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Please don't take offence, I think it's a habit I picked up from one of my school teachers where I read a sentence as if I was saying it, so if there's no breaks in it I really do feel like I need to take a breath at the end of it.

Nooo, it didn't "bother" me at all, and i wasn't having a go at you. Write however you like It was Risker's comment that made me laugh, i wasn't laughing at you.

happy

Question Cider, white whine, red wine and spirit vinegars - are they alcohol?

This may seem a silly question since vinegars are in many condiments and so on,yet I wonder on the processes.I think rice and barley vinegar may be ok from the names.On one sauce packet I saw ethanol and that is the scientific name for drinking alcohol is it not?

Default Re: Cider,white whine,red wine and spirit vinegars-are they alcohol?

Vinegar is essentially gone off alcohol (or oxidized) so although ethanol is used to make it it shouldn't be present in the finished product. I'm not certain but I don't think alcohol can be in vinegar, if you add alcohol to vinegar I suspect it would also vinegarise.

my friend said she heard something recently that even tho beer/ciders etc say they're vegan they can't account for any insects that land in the mixture during the making of it.... and it can still say it's vegan even tho there may be insects that have gotten into it because they're not technically ingredients? is this true does anyone know??

Quote Daffodil View Post
    my friend said she heard something recently that even tho beer/ciders etc say they're vegan they can't account for any insects that land in the mixture during the making of it.... and it can still say it's vegan even tho there may be insects that have gotten into it because they're not technically ingredients? is this true does anyone know??
    Sounds about right. when they harvest the ingredients to make it there's bound to be some insects that get caught up in the harvest, same as with bread etc.

ETA: When they're making it, it's made in sealed vats so I don't think it would be possible for insects to get in to it at that point.

Quote Risker View Post
    Sounds about right. when they harvest the ingredients to make it there's bound to be some insects that get caught up in the harvest, same as with bread etc.
    so technically, none of us are really vegan then?

Quote Daffodil View Post
    so technically, none of us are really vegan then?
    No, veganism is about avoiding harming animals as far as is practical, it's not about perfection. The only way you'd manage to avoid harming all animals is to top yourself.

...and then you'd probably squash some insect when you fell, sod's law being what it is. I agree with Risker, there is a lot of difference between (a) deliberately including animals in a food or drink and (b) not being able to avoid some getting in there by accident. I don't want to give money to companies who do (a) but I won't punish companies for (b) (although it would be nice if they took reasonable precautions to avoid it).

Yes, even today when I was making my vegetable curry I saw a little fly on the cauliflower. I lifted it off gently to see if it was still alive but sadly it wasn't. Sadly, it's just not possible to avoid insect casualties in everyday life.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Alcohol and I have a firm understanding. I stay away from it and I feel ok. I drink I get sick. Now marijuana works for my pain and nerve pain as well. Fibromyalgia is helped immensely by that. Alcohol no sorry I wish I could help you find something that you may like. I may not drink but I can understand that some people seem to enjoy it.