Thread: uber-easy vegan meals for omni's to make?

Default uber-easy vegan meals for omni's to make?

Hi guys,

It's not long now till we arrive in Brisbane!! What I need to ask is - do you have any advice for some REALLY easy meals my omni (and vegan-clueless) parents can provide for us when we first arrive?

It's because I think we might be a bit jet lagged to find out own food. Ideally we might need breakfast, lunch, and dinner, although not heavy meals, but just something that is simple enough for the most closed minded people to managed. Like beans on toast!! But are there brands of bread that aren't vegan, or are most OK, can anyone reccomend actual brand names? And preferably available from normal supermarkets.

I was just thinking along the lines of beans on toast, vegimite sandwiches... I don't know what else, and what brands of bread and marg are vegan, so I'd really appreciate some pointers from you guys!

Please help!

Default Re: uber-easy vegan meals for omni's to make?

Hi Jamie

I'm originally from Brisbane. When we arrived there last year, to visit my parents, my Mum drove us up to Coles (because they have a better selection of vegan-friendly products than Woolworths).

I found a lot of vegan friendly tofu's and fake meats, soy icecream, fresh fruit and veg, fruit juices and even vegan spaghetti in a tin (for spag on toast). I know Nuttelex is a vegan marg and it used to come in a square container.....and it probably still does.

Good luck with your move back there - you're so lucky!!

Soup is always a super easy thing and really comforting after a long journey. Easy to put a few veggies in the pressure cooker..... A nice big salad with avocado and maybe potato in with some nice grains on....ohhh...I'm making myself hungry here!
    Wishing you well on your travels over there.

nervine

the jacket potato is your friend

Hello Jamie, Roxy gave good advice there, and in this part of Qld where I live, Woolworths has plenty of vegan foods such as Roxy recommended, as well as Tofutti cream cheese, and Wwths also has a section of organic vegies (though I'm not keen on that). All the best.
    Eve

thanks for the advice!

You're welcome

Decided to bump this up and hopefully someone sees it I'm having an omni friend fly over to visit me for almost 2 weeks. If I could have them eating vegan, It'd really make my day as I don't want meat in my vegan kitchen, and I'd like to show how easy being vegan can be. I'm planning on having some vegan snacks readily available, and I've got a few simple ideas for meals, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? I don't think a salad and some fruit would go over well with him Something quick and easy to prepare, but much more filling would be perfect. Any ideas are greatly appreciated

It's not terribly healthy but things with pastry always seem to go down well and you can use ready-made vegan pastry (assuming you can get it where you are?), so it's not too much trouble. The chesnut and red wine pate en croute in this thread http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...receipe-anyone is a classic - it's a bit Christmassy but Christmas isn't too far off Potato-topped pies like lentil shepherd's pie also seem to be popular with omnis. Anything to dispel the idea that vegans eat nothing but salad eh?

The shepherds pie would probably go over well Yeah, I remember when I became vegan, that first week or two you could really notice some health benefits. Felt more energetic over the day, felt like I could breathe easier. If I could have someone else notice that, it might be more of a persuasion to pick it up. Plus, I really don't want to wake up to the smell of bacon being cooked in my vegan kitchen

No reason to let them cook bacon in your kitchen I wouldn't have thought! Would they really expect to?

Is it too much to ask that they don't eat meat while they're here? They're flying out, so it's not like he can drive to a McDonalds or anything... What exactly do I say if he wants to buy something from the grocery store? "Ok, but you're forbidden to bring any animal products into my house"? That's why I want to make a good filling dinner every night, and have some junk food lying around just to avoid having him want to go grocery shopping.

I've always told people they can't bring meat into my house. It's not like they're going to starve, and if they're your friend surely they're not going to want to hurt your feelings? Of course, I live in a city so if people get the urge to eat meat they can always just walk into town. Maybe you could bring the subject up before they come as a "by the way, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable ..." type of thing, and see what they say?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Yeah.... We're not really the type to care about each others feelings We go out of the way to bother each other. Maybe I could just say I wont allow any animal products in my house, but he's more than welcome to help himself to my food. Or maybe get some veggie burgers and french fries or something. I think as long as I've got enough junk food on hand, he should be fine. The topic might not even come up