Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Anyone growing their own veg this year?

Default Re: Anyone growing their own veg this year?

got a new allotment ( http://yo-yo-itfinallyhappened.blogspot.com/ ) and we have put in:
    carrots
    lettuce
    beetroot
    2 type of pots
    echinacea
    dwarf runner beans
    parsnip
    curly kale

xx

Glad you got another a new allotment and are stuck in, yo-yo - that must have been so annoying about the last one!

cobweb

I added in strawberry plants today.
    I now (potentially!) have:
    runner beans
    carrots
    courgettes
    radishes
    mint
    basil
    thyme
    cabbages
    cos lettuce
    rocket
    strawberries
    spinach
    cucumbers
    tomatoes

also non-veg items from seed - lupins, pansies, sunflowers and black hollyhocks.

Quote harpy View Post
    Glad you got another a new allotment and are stuck in, yo-yo - that must have been so annoying about the last one!
    it was annoying! x

Quote cobweb View Post
    I added in strawberry plants today.
    I now (potentially!) have:
    runner beans
    carrots
    courgettes
    radishes
    mint
    basil
    thyme
    cabbages
    cos lettuce
    rocket
    strawberries
    spinach
    cucumbers
    tomatoes

also non-veg items from seed - lupins, pansies, sunflowers and black hollyhocks.
    wow, loads! x

cobweb

^ha-ha yes, but will they all come up?
    The weather we've been having here lately isn't inspiring my seeds to shoot up.

We are trying to grow our own veg again this year after a disastrous year two years ago when the slugs ate the lot

so far we are growing:

runner beans
    corn
    oriental salad
    strawberries
    spinach
    radish
    pak choi
    onions
    beetroot
    cauliflower
    celeriac
    tomatoes
    basil
    coriander
    sorrel
    mixed lettuce leaves
    rocket
    pepper

Waiting to go out (still in the conservatory at the moment) are:

butternut squash
    courgettes
    more cauliflower
    purple sprouting broccali
    peppers
    chilli peppers
    broad beans
    more runner beans
    kale
    cabbage
    more corn
    garlic
    rosemary

and I was going to plant peas but decided that frozen peas are pretty cheap whereas sugar snap peas and mange tout are pretty expensive so i am going to try getting some sugar snap pea and mange tout seeds this weekend.

I also bought copper tape to try to stop the slugs although it hasn't been wet at all so far this growing season. I am using companion planting and permaculture ideas for my garden. Would be really interested to hear if anyone else is interested in permaculture and companion planting
    Last edited by VeganZee; May 25th, 2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: grammar error!

Wow everyone is being so adventurous!!! Wish I had the space, Im in a shared Uni flat on the 5th floor but I have got some tomato plants growing! They needed repotting last week which was exciting though not quite big enough for any tomatoes yet!!!

^There is the spirit!

My plot is considering :
    Sunchokes [three or four varieties];
    Gooseberries [mouldy but not broken];
    Mixed flowers and nasturtiums [about four square metres];
    Stray potatoes;
    Horseradish;
    Beet leaves;
    Sunflowers;
    Carrots;
    Salsify;
    Cabbage [mostly for the pigeons a*parently];
    Beetroot;
    Lettuce;
    Parsnip;
    Leeks;
    Garlic;
    Strawberries;
    Bamboo;
    Marjoram;
    Catmint;
    Raspberries [usually get strangled by the bindweed];
    Radish;
    Rosemary;
    Sage;
    Feverfew;
    Blackcurrant;
    Nettles;
    Usual weeds.

Hopefully I will get some pictures later.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

I'm really jealous of these long lists of plants, oddly one thing I'm most jealous of is Whalespace's nettles, both because I'd love to try cooking with them and because they make great companion plants.

Since we have no garden and aren't allowed plants on our window ledges I've just got a few pots in our courtyard.

I don't know if you can judge the scale from this photo but on the left is a Courgette Taxi plant and it's massive! I totally underestimated how large it would grow! In the middle are some chives (you can just about see them) and on the right is a Tomato Gardener's Delight plant.

On the Left is Chard Bright Lights and on the right is some parsley, there's some other stuff dotted about, not sure what it is yet. This trough got a bit ravaged by slime monsters which is why it's not as full.

Left to Right, Tomato Gardener's Delight x 2, Chard Bright Lights, Courgette Taxi

Okay, so I think I could have used larger containers but I'm not used to container planting and I didn't want to spend too much so the troughs are from poundland and the pots were from my business (largest size we have). With the plants I've chosen they should do well regardless as long as they get enough water. The chives can take over the rest of the trough once the tomato and courgette plants have died off. I'm not quite sure why I planted parsley, we really never use it.

cobweb

Coming along nicely, Risker.

Quote Risker View Post
    ... nettles, both because I'd love to try cooking with them and because they make great companion plants.
    I had your address, but I guess you might have moved. If I get my act together, I could send you some dried nettle leaves
    [secret scratching spacedust spinach] . Careful how you open the envelope though.

What are they a good companion to?

For some reason I'm thinking of bumble bee houses now... apparently they prefer old rodent holes to tubes. Presumably pushing a suitable dibber into suitable soil would create similar accommodation. Pardon digression.
    Quote Risker;

... is a Courgette Taxi plant and it's massive! I totally underestimated how large it would grow! ...
    I had pumpkin plants on allottment once. I remember thinking how they might do well draped up trees lol. I mean but lol is clearly more grinny.

Quote whalespace View Post
    I had your address, but I guess you might have moved. If I get my act together, I could send you some dried nettle leaves
    [secret scratching spacedust spinach] . Careful how you open the envelope though.

What are they a good companion to?
    Sorry, missed this. I actually conveniently found some in our car park right after I posted, thanks for the offer though. Nettles are good companion plants for loads of things, ladybirds like to use them for egg laying and if you've got ladybirds you won't have to worry about aphids. I've also read that they release some oil or something, not sure how that works.

I'm so pleased with my courgette plant, it's currently got 9 yellow courgettes growing on just one plant, I haven't even started fertilising yet so am hoping that the yield will only increase.

Wow, so jealous of your courgette plant, Risker. Did you plant it out to start with, or start it off indoors and how long has it been outside for? I have lost three courgette plants so far. The dog stepped on two of them and snapped them off at the base and the third one got snapped in the dreadful wind we have been having. I do still have a mix of butternut squash and courgette plants that currently seem to be doing okay but they have not been outside for too long - between two weeks and one day. My tomato plants have flowers on now and I have already picked some redcurrants and I also have some strawberries turning red. I have masses of lettuce despite having picked and eaten it all last weekend and two days in the week and one thing I noticed is that it keeps so well and tastes so so much better than the supermarket stuff. I was so impressed with the taste and condition of my lettuce that i am planting some more this weekend. Everything else is coming up now, I noticed onion shoots the other day! I have two final beds to do this weekend - one is my overflow brassica bed and the other is my carrot companion planting bed where I am going to grow carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, swedes and different types of peas.

^ Planted straight outside at the beginning of April I think. I might have to plant some lettuce too after reading that, what variety are you growing?

cobweb

ooh everyone else is ahead of me, I wish I'd got on and planted earlier this year!.
    Am thinking of treating myself to a cold frame soon.
    My courgettes are just seedlings........

I'm so jealous of you growers. You've all got so much there. I can't wait to move into a house. We're in an apartment at the moment, so not anywhere to plant anything.

Keep the pics coming of growth!
    I like football. And potatoes.

Quote Risker View Post
    ^ Planted straight outside at the beginning of April I think. I might have to plant some lettuce too after reading that, what variety are you growing?
    I am growing oriental salad which was a complete result as the seeds were free and it just keeps growing! Then I have cut and come again mixed salad leaves in two pots and tomorrow I am planting iceberg as a companion plant to the carrots and tomatoes

I just picked my first harvest of 6 chard leaves, two of which I had to throw away because they had lots of little leaf miner colonies on the back

Planted some lettuce now, salad bowl green as well as some rocket.

My courgette plant has gone crazy and must have about 20 courgettes growing off it, unfortunately the male flowers are only just coming through so the first few courgettes are a bit small, looks good for the future though.

I cut back my indoor basil plant right down to the first nodes a couple of days ago in an effort to encourage it to bush out more, was a bit worried that it might not regenerate but it's looking really good and pretty sure I'll get lots of new stems.

Discovered that I have a pumpkin baby bear plant growing that I thought had been a victim of slime monsters, not sure it will mature in time now but worth a go.

cobweb

You're doing well with your courgettes, Risker!.We had Rocket from the garden last night, very yummy.

I have had fresh salad all week now from my garden. I made mini redcurrant muffins yesterday which were absolutely lovely (with redcurrants from my garden). I have so far picked three strawberries and the difference in taste between them and the supermarket ones is indescribable. Also picked the first of the radishes today and they were just lovely - really hot and peppery. Now next time I go to the supermarket I want to buy some supermarket radishes just to compare them! I have the first flowers on my runner beans and broad beans so I am well happy

My first harvest of courgettes (they're very small because they didn't get pollinated but they look nice)

they are fabulous, Risker

They look great Risker. I love courgettes!
    I like football. And potatoes.

Everyones' gardens look & sound great! It's been a couple of years since I've grown anything but we have a proper garden now and I've got a VegTrug for herbs and greens and I'm going to put in some raised beds, hopefully!

Front: sweet basil, oregano, thyme. Middle: kale, coriander, French tarragon. Back: golden chard, parsley, rosemary

I also planted nasturtium & calendula seeds round the edge and they've sprouted now.

I've got a lemon/lime tree to plant and I'd love to get an avocado tree in spring. The previous owners planted such a random assortment of plants so I have to move some and give some away so I can make room for veggies.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

The Lurker

Got my veg-table on the go with radish, onions, cucumber, carrots, squash, neeps and lettuce!

cobweb

aha, the inevitable neeps!

Quote Kitteh View Post
    Front: sweet basil, oregano, thyme. Middle: kale, coriander, French tarragon. Back: golden chard, parsley, rosemary
    All looking like good healthy plants

Quote Kitteh View Post
    I'd love to get an avocado tree in spring.
    I want! But cannot have

Quote The Lurker View Post
    Got my veg-table on the go with radish, onions, cucumber, carrots, squash, neeps and lettuce!

That looks pretty nifty, does it protect well against slime monsters? Where did you get it and how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

The Lurker

Quote Risker View Post
    That looks pretty nifty, does it protect well against slime monsters? Where did you get it and how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?
    It's pretty convenient I must say, which is what we need in our garden. Not had a snail in it yet which is good - there are a few about but I'm not sure how they'd handle this thing. Had no problems with weeds and I don't have to bend down which is something I always avoid if possible

I got it at a local garden centre but they're available online - different sizes etc. easy to put together. Think we got the biggest one:

http://www.edenproject.com/shop/Veg-...GoogleMerchant

Neep neep:

[with lettuce].

I struggle to understand how half a school of kids walk past a row of a dozen cherry trees on a grassy bank, cherries down to the ground, yet cherries cherries cherries.

I gots cherries.

cobweb

^ ooh, lucky you!
    (I love neeps but hate peeling and cutting them!)

Had no idea what neeps are - just had to google it!

Great harvest whalespace! Cherries cost a fortune even now they're in season.

Quote whalespace View Post
    Neep neep:
    Now are you sure that's what they are?

Quote VeganZee View Post
    Had no idea what neeps are - just had to google it!
    and are you any the wiser?

Would love to grow my own veggies. I think when we get back to NZ I will have to give it a go. If I can find time in-between studying, working and spending time with Dia that is! Hmmm... anyone know of any veggies that don't need a lot of attention to grow?
    Truly man is the king of beasts, for his brutality exceeds them.
    We live by the death of others. We are burial places. -LDV
    I choose not to be.

I think it depends on finding the right veg for where you are AzureAngel - if you do that they grow like the proverbial weeds. My cucumbers did that last year even though I gather some people find those difficult...Probably varies a bit from year to year but asking the neighbours might be a good start.

cobweb

Quote Risker View Post
    All looking like good healthy plants

I want! But cannot have

*edit* the pictures didn't come up when I quoted - but anyway I'm talking about a veg-table, like The Lurker posted.

I just got one (the middle size one at £92) from the Eden Project. It was a bit fiddly to put together, instructions crap as per usual with things. It has a fair sized gap at the bottom, I hope the liner is strong!.

Quote Risker View Post
    Now are you sure that's what they are?
    I was sure when I posted the picture... then later on I got to wondering why I hadn't planted any swedes.

Quote Risker;
    and are you any the wiser?
    According to my English dictionary "noep"[old English], came from "napus"[latin=turnip].

Quote cobweb View Post

I just got one (the middle size one at £92) from the Eden Project....
    Definitely do that one yourself Risker.

cobweb

^ yep, I kept thinking the same when I was assembling it. You'd need a fair amount of good strong wood to make one though, which would be great if you could find some unwanted cheap or free.........

You can get a heck of a lot of timber for 92 quid! [relative to the project in mind].

If it would involve a lot of messing about, and one already had a source of income, then buying one from the eden project might be a good idea though.

The Lurker

the veg-table definitely works - me veg has gone mad the last couple of weeks, I've been eating nothing but radishes all weekend . . .

I know nothing about gardening but love the idea of have a vegetable garden on my balcony, so I've been growing (& forgetting to water!) these two plants, spinach and lettuce. I have found some vegan fertilizer, so I'm hoping that now that I've re-potted them and can give them a bit of help that they'll start to look healthier. I would love to have a compost bin, but I'm trying to work out a solution that would stink up the place! I also plan to plant more veg as it comes into the Spring.