Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone growing their own veg this year?

Default Anyone growing their own veg this year?

Hi chaps....just thought I'd see what anyone or everyone is growing in their gardens/yards/windowsills this year?

Personally I'm going to go for cucumber, toms, lettuce, mangetout, mushrooms (probably indoors) and peppers....maybe a few others if I feel up to it! I've had some luck before, so it will probably go terribly wrong this year

Default Re: Anyone growing their own veg this year?

Hi Mcfluffin.
    I want to plant some spring greens and kale this year. I have had some good spinach and was getting really excited about my purple sprouting broccoli until the slugs and caterpillars obliterated practically everything! We had a good potato crop and loads of gooseberries and some cherries which the birds enjoyed This year I plan to put nets on everything in time and try and tackle the slug situation. I managed to grow some nice Chinese mustard but pak-choï went to the slugs too..
    I hope everything grows well for you

Sounds deeeeelicious! My purple broccoli suffered a bit too last year. Spinach is an idea though....might try it...very nice in salad with my other bits...and some pring onions would be good for that too....Happy growing auntierozzi

Buddha Belly

Have re-potted all my plants and am desperate to get all my seeds back so i can plant more for my allotment
    Chillis
    Courgette
    Peas
    Some edible flower begining with N
    Sunflowers

It's all i have here. Get the rest back on Weds.

yes I think i will have a go this year. had great success in the past with potatoes and spinach, managed a few carrots one year and strawberries and plums on my tree. good idea

just sowed the first of my veg seeds this week, lettuce, carrots, about to do my peppers, tomaotoes and spring onions. Using my back garden and most will be grown in containers, easier i find for pest control and no cats shitting and pissing on them. Theres some really good websites out there for container gardening. I have one of those little mini greenhouses takes 4 growbags. Going to get another one only £15 from focus .
    Apples, raspberries, blackcurrants and gooseberries all grown in garden, amongst other shrubs. Runner bean, peas etc i will grow inbetween my other climbers. potatoes in a dustbin . tomatoes in a hanging basket my garden will look very strange this year.

Yep I'm growing my own this year. The following is what I'm growing:

Courgette - Green, Courgette - Goldie, Peas, Carrots - N2 organic, Carrots - Autumn king 2, Parsnips - White gem, Parsnips - Tender and true, Cucumber, Tomato - Minibel, Tomato - Outdoor girl, Tomato - Red cherry, Tomato - Marmande, Cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, Pumpkin, Melon, Sweet corn, Pepper, Leeks, Spring onions, Lettuce (iceberg, cos, butterhead), Spinach, Mesclun (rocket, chervil, endive), Coriander, Chives, Radish, Sunflower, White onions, Red onions, Beetroot, Crab apples, Strawberries - Alpine baron solemacher, Strawberries - Elan, Swede, Broccoli, Mint, Rosemary, Marrow, Spinach beets, Parsely and Basil

Can you tell I have too much time on my hands . I also have blueberry and blackberry plants that should fruit. I really do enjoy growing my own food as I'm more likely to not waste it and eat it all. Makes food enjoyable again really .
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

I am attempting to grow my own veg for the first time I have absolutly got no idea what Im doing so on advice from others I have started with,what others have assured me is the easiest to grow,tomatoes and peppers.want to grow my own potatoes as well,so any advice on all areas of growing your own veg,would be very very much appreciated
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

this is what we are growing this year; courgette, green & yellow/carrots/parsnips/tomatoes/chillis/peppers/aubergine/ perpetual spinach, chard, cavalo nero/collard greens/spring onions/regular onions/mixed squash, beans/sweetcorn/3 different potatoes/cabbages/ salad leaves/ herbs/beeroot/brussel sprouts/radishes/radicchio...there may be more, i can't remember.

we keep putting off planting our first early chits. the weather is lovely then we are still getting frosts but they are desparate to go in........

the cavalo nero is sprouting, as is the garlic and a few early carrots. also some early toms we started off a month ago as an experiment.

Some people are much more organzied than me!
    I have planted out my courgettes and dwarf beans, and also have mange- tout, potatoes and pak choi outside. Inside have peppers on my kitchen window sill, and will probably grow some lettuce inside as well. It's so nice picking leaves off your own lettuce, quick wash, then onto your plate. No chemicals, no carbon footprint, and tasty salad goodness!!

i have:

6 different lettuces
    cilantro
    3 different tomato plants
    chives
    parsley
    tons of basil
    green hot peppers
    tons of sunflowers

I really want onions to round out my salsa garden, but i'm not sure I have enough room...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Salsa garden!
    I like the idea. I thought mine was kind of a stir-fry garden, but need to add some bean sprouts, I suppose.
    Let us know what the salsa tastes like when everything is ready.

ooo a stir fry garden is a really good idea too! maybe i'll try that next year!

i still need to figure out about the onions though, i loooves onions! but where to put them...? Does anyone know if they need a lot of space?

Buddha Belly

Quote missbettie View Post
    ooo a stir fry garden is a really good idea too! maybe i'll try that next year!

i still need to figure out about the onions though, i loooves onions! but where to put them...? Does anyone know if they need a lot of space?
    Spring onions in a 6inch deep window sill box? Normal onions can be done in a 10 inch pot but would need a 6 - 8 inch diameter pot.

i think i want normal onions... i think i may have enough space in one of my boxes...hmmm thanks BB

cobweb

ooh, everyone has great ideas

so far me and hubby seem to be competing with tomato plants - i gave him a wooden window plante which he filled with seeds, i must transfer them now actually - and i have random seedlings around the place.

I'm also trying to grow cabbages and cauliflowers though usually mine get munched to bits by cabbage whites and i end up with a colony of butterflies and nothing to eat!. I am setting up my mini greenhouse for them but am currently awaiting some strong bungee cords i bought so i can tie it to the fence. Things have a habit of getting blown into the sea round here! .

I'm doing various lettuces, too, and parsley, also growing raspberry canes but they are only babies still. Oh, strawberries, too, will soon be planted.

At the moment I'm just growing tomatoes. Was very excited to see the tiny shoots had come up when I came back from a weekend away on Monday

I like the idea of container potatoes as well. I looked up dustbin potatoes and the same site gave the idea of just growing them in a compost bag, which seems pretty simple. Can't beat fresh potatoes, can you?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Buddha Belly

Quote twinkle View Post
    At the moment I'm just growing tomatoes. Was very excited to see the tiny shoots had come up when I came back from a weekend away on Monday

I like the idea of container potatoes as well. I looked up dustbin potatoes and the same site gave the idea of just growing them in a compost bag, which seems pretty simple. Can't beat fresh potatoes, can you?

Never thought of doing them in a grow bag. Good idea.

I'm lucky to have a job; unfortunately my wife lost hers last year.

But the upside is, with frugality, we can manage ok - meaning she's out in the garden all the time now. She's planted spuds (lots), carrots, broad beans, leeks, artichokes, kale, spinach, parsnips plus has plans for other stuff like peas and broccoli and has plenty of stuff being nurtured under cold frames.

Someone gave us some old windows and frames last year and I've knocked these together into mini-greenhouses.

We have a plum tree, five varieties of apple, a pear, plus rhubarb, strawberries, blackcurrants and a herb garden we harvest from every day.

Also, we always have something sprouting on the kitchen window, usually alfalfa or mung beans; we have cress at the moment for a change.

So long as I keep my job, I'm happy for her to grow food to offset the loss of her job. And so is she, of course! She's studying vegan organics and is even thinking about teaching it when she's confident enough. If I lose my job, who knows what'll happen then?

Next is a polytunnel, which we're currently saving for.

Every summer we grow yellow squash, zucchini, pickling cucumbers, hot peppers, green beans and tomatoes. We're going to try and grow sweet corn again this year organically, although last time we had a lot of trouble with the corn worms. I've heard a dab of mineral oil on the tassels, once they turn brown, will deter the moths so we'll see how that goes. In the fall we are hoping to plant spinach, broccoli and lettuce. I'll also be growing chives, dill and cilantro on my windowsill again this year and wish I had a small greenhouse to that I could grow strawberries and keep the birds out of them.

CM: it sounds like your weather's warmer than ours. Not surprising, as we're roughly 52 degrees north...but the weather is described as 'equable', meaning temperate and stable and we're warmed by the Gulf Stream.

There's a desperately cold east wind blowing today though.

Anyway, fair play to you for your organics. As for the strawberries, most plantations I've seen, the strawberries are low to the ground and covered in long lengths of clear flexible plastic, taken from a roll. I've never seen any in a greenhouse but what would I know?

Last week I saw in the local nursery 3 green pepper plants labelled organic. So now I have 3 pepper plants planted in my front yard next to the driveway (only place where I amended the soil a gazillion years ago so it's not the caliche AKA cement dirt). I'm anxious to see if they grow in the full fury of a Las Vegas summer

my basil sprouted and then it died but my cilantro is doing really well. Tomatos are starting to flower but still no fruit...sunflowers are doing awesome only they are getting munched on pretty bad.

How do I make the bugs not want my plants? I heard that spraying soap and water on the plants helps, has anyone tried this?

I'm growing tomatoes, courgettes and kale. I'm kinda excited about the kale, as it'll be cheap greens throughout the winter Yay.

Wow, impressed by all the growing going on!

The soap solution is simple and fairly benign but kills the bugs by dissolving their little waxy keratin bods.... It depends how far your veganism extends! How about encouraging lots of predator insects instead, by planting lots of bright flowers (esp. for hoverflies) and providing overwintering spots for ladybirds, etc?

At least then the blood is on their little mandibles and you might feel less bad.

Try looking up companion planting, too, or planting strong smelling plants such as garlic nearby to distract the 'pests'.

There is also a vegan organic network here in the uk which has a website www.veganorganic.net with lots of helpful tips.

okay i didn't know the soap killed the bugs i guess i'll just deal...oh butterscotch...

my basil sprouted and then it died but my cilantro is doing really well. Tomatos are starting to flower but still no fruit...sunflowers are doing awesome only they are getting munched on pretty bad.

How do I make the bugs not want my plants? I heard that spraying soap and water on the plants helps, has anyone tried this?
    There's a mass of information out there on the net and in book form about dealing with pests in a 'benign' way. Where to start?

It's an art form all on its own; tightly-packed planting and companion planting are the two most effective deterrents. And an organic gardener always plants more than s/he needs, to feed the 'others'. :smile:

hm...now that just seems a bit strange...if you plant extra, the bugs aren't going to diferentiate between the ones you want them to eat and the ones you don't...

i'll try to find something online.

I think the idea is that if you lose a few leaves here and there, you're not going to be as bothered if you planted more than you need.

I'm doing a gardening club at school! We started this afternoon. I don't really know what I'm doing, but luckily we have a VERY clued up grandad helping out. I say 'helping out' - he's doing it all, pretty much Today we planted lettuce, radish, carrot and beetroot seeds. The children were really into it, and I can't wait to see them all growing either.

It has inspired me to plant some vegetables in the recycling boxes that our council has decided to do away with. (Which would be good for me, as I live in a rented house and I can't go digging up the garden.) Any ideas? What can't I mess up!?

I suppose everyone is right, at least they are eating my sunflowers and not my tomatos or lettuce, BUT I'm still irratated and I wish they would leave my garden alone. I spent a lot of work on everything and its very disapointing to see a bunch of holes in my plants...especially since I've been able to watch them grow from seeds.

Quote Cherry View Post
    It has inspired me to plant some vegetables in the recycling boxes that our council has decided to do away with. (Which would be good for me, as I live in a rented house and I can't go digging up the garden.) Any ideas? What can't I mess up!?
    Would your landlords really be upset about you digging up the garden? Doesn't it increase the value of the property? My landlady was thrilled!

hm...now that just seems a bit strange...if you plant extra, the bugs aren't going to diferentiate between the ones you want them to eat and the ones you don't...

i'll try to find something online.
    One for the mouse, one for the crow, one to rot, one to grow.

^ there is nothing about bugs in there.

I fully understand what you are saying BUT I still have the right to be disapointed. I want my garden to look how I want it to look, and being all eatten up isn't what I want. It still doesn't mean I'm going to go out back with a can of Raid, but I still want to find a way to make them leave my plants alone (and maybe there isn't one) because I don't have a space to make plants just for bugs, and I really still doubt that thats the only plants that they would eat.

http://www.vegansociety.com/people/lifestyle/home_and_garden/pest_control.php

They are suggesting soap and water mixture...conflicting information!!!!! AH!

Would your landlords really be upset about you digging up the garden? Doesn't it increase the value of the property? My landlady was thrilled!
    She has covered almost all the plantable areas with black matting stuff and bark chippings. I'm quite happy to grow things in pots anyway, then I can take them with me when I move house.

i love growing things in pots! they r so cute..

cobweb

Cherry i have found that spinach grows well in boxes like that, nice for baby spinach leaves, yum

http://www.vegansociety.com/people/lifestyle/home_and_garden/pest_control.php

They are suggesting soap and water mixture...conflicting information!!!!! AH!
    Crush a whole bulb of garlic into a pint of water and boil it for 3-4 minutes (throw the skins in aswell). Strain it and let it cool then add 1tbsp of it to a gallon of water and using a watering can shower the leaves of your plants in late afternoon.

It stinks but it seems to work well.

Quote Risker View Post
    Crush a whole bulb of garlic into a pint of water and boil it for 3-4 minutes (throw the skins in aswell). Strain it and let it cool then add 1tbsp of it to a gallon of water and using a watering can shower the leaves of your plants in late afternoon. It stinks but it seems to work well.
    Will it work for cockroaches? I'm getting them early this year, running all over the outside. It's only a matter of time before they get inside.. For some reason, I seem to draw the line at cockroaches and black widow spiders. They are fine as long as they stay OUTSIDE the house...

^ Gotta be worth a try, cockroaches do communicate via pheromones according to wikipedia so I'd imagine the strong smell of this stuff could interfere with that.

thanks Risker, I'm going to try that!

Anyone interested in trying to rid themselves of garden pests organically, safely and humanely should pick up a number of books dedicated to the subject; the Soil Association has literature and there are literally dozens of books plus every organic growing book will contain a section on tips.

There are simply too many methods to go into here but for instance, grow nasturtiums. They're not only edible for humans but they repel a multitude of pests. Why? Because they're strong in essential oil.

Just about any plant from which essential oil can be made will repel some pests because they're unable to metabolise that oil - plus the growing plants' smells either put off the creatures or confuse them. So alongside nasturtiums (which means, IIRC, nose-twister) grow basil, mint, borage, marigolds, sage, dill, garlic and so on and so forth.

There are also physical barriers; one I learned about the other week was the fact that carrot root fly can only fly up to around 20 inches off the ground, so they're easy to deal with.

Slugs are usually dealt with by encouraging birds, frogs, hedgehogs and ducks and by humans physically collecting them at night.

I know nothing!

Buddha Belly

Quote DavidT View Post
    Anyone interested in trying to rid themselves of garden pests organically, safely and humanely should pick up a number of books dedicated to the subject; the Soil Association has literature and there are literally dozens of books plus every organic growing book will contain a section on tips.

There are simply too many methods to go into here but for instance, grow nasturtiums. They're not only edible for humans but they repel a multitude of pests. Why? Because they're strong in essential oil.

Just about any plant from which essential oil can be made will repel some pests because they're unable to metabolise that oil - plus the growing plants' smells either put off the creatures or confuse them. So alongside nasturtiums (which means, IIRC, nose-twister) grow basil, mint, borage, marigolds, sage, dill, garlic and so on and so forth.

There are also physical barriers; one I learned about the other week was the fact that carrot root fly can only fly up to around 20 inches off the ground, so they're easy to deal with.

Slugs are usually dealt with by encouraging birds, frogs, hedgehogs and ducks and by humans physically collecting them at night.

I know nothing!
    My plot is quite lucky that it has a pond next to it full of frogs. The main problem is rabbits. Last year I built a little hedge of thorny sticks which done the job. I use the garlic water and spider method at home.

Good to know about the carrot fly.

Here's an article that appeared in our local paper, The Clare Champion, recently. It was submitted by the Irish Seed Savers' Association near Scariff in east Clare. There are some interesting little gems within it though it also contains lethal (to pests) solutions.

Birds seem to think that seeds are just sown for them. Nothing works as well at deterring them as black thread stretched tightly across the seed beds, about 23cm above the ground. This is invisible: the birds touch it with their toes or wings and it gives them such a fright they'll think better of it next time.

There are also many different types of caterpillars sent to try our patience; the little green chap that eats your fresh apple leaves. Hand-picking for caterpillars is very effective. Just pluck them off and remove them from the garden.

Garlic planted around the trees will aid in repelling borers; also planted with tomatoes, garlic will help with the red spider mite and spraying ponds with a garlic-based oil will kill mosquitoes.

Add four or five pints of water and one tablespoon of corn starch to tomato leaves crushed in your vegetable juicer. Strain and keep the unused spray refrigerated. It works well as an insect repellent on vegetables and roses too.

People who grow organically often use companion planting and natural pest repellent methods. Once you start companion planting, herb gardening grows a whole new level.

Basil loves tomatoes, carrot loves tomatoes and basil loves strawberries and tomatoes and that's just the start of it. Certain plants help each other thrive. Here is a brief list of herbs that are often planted near vegetables and fruits to encourage growth, deter pests and even improve your soil, such as comfrey, the gardener's friend.

Lavender and lavender bags deter mice, ticks and moths and attract butterflies.

Prolifically-spreading mint (keep it contained) deters fleas, ants, mice and cabbage butterflies but don't plant it near parsley.

Oregano can repel cabbage butterflies and cucumber beetles if planted nearby and lies the grape vine.

Tansy works to repel ants, flies, feas and moths, especially good near fruit trees.

Thyme can deter cabbage worm when planted near the brassicas.

The wormwood plant itself is a deterrent to slugs and snails; it can be made into an effective herbal insecticide spray against slugs, snails and caterpillars. to make wormwood insecticide spray, simmer leaves in at least 1.75 litres of water, strain, cool and store in glass jars. You may add soapy water to increase effectiveness.

Plant three basil plants to every tomato plant; it also repels flies and mosquitoes.

Borage can help strawberries to thrive and can assist tomatoes and squash. It also attracts bees to pollinate your garden.

Try chamomile with onion and cabbage.

Plant chives near your carrots and apple trees. Chives steeped in water makes a great spray to kill powdery mildew disease.

Plant geranium near corn and grapes. This is also effective against red spider mite.

Lemon balm is great for tomatoes.

Plant mint near cabbage but never next to parsley.

Nasturtium is a great insect repellant and loves broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, fruit trees and radishes.

Oregano loves brassica crops and grape vines. It's also an insect repellent for cucumber beetle.

Parsley loves tomatoes, carrots, chives and asparagus but not mint.

Rosemary loves beans, carrots and sage but not potatoes.

Sage goes well with rosemary, cabbage and carrots but never with cucumbers.

Elderberry helps break down soil and compost. Dig it out and check out the black gold around its roots - rich topsoil.

For all you smokers out there, simmer 350g of filter-tip cigarette ends in 4.5 litres of water for aphids. This spares ladybirds and their larvae and breaks down in 48 hours but we wouldn't eat from the garden for about two weeks to be sure.

cobweb

^ thanks for that info, which i will keep for reference.
    I am trying to grow Nasturtiums right now, they are taking ages to show, hope they'll come up..........

I'm disappointed at the lack of huge vegetable pics on this thread

we have got so much on the grow this year, i hope we can find homes in the garden for it all;

already growing;
    potatoes
    tomatoes
    garlic
    carrots
    parsnips
    onions
    jerusalem artichokes
    perpetual spinach
    runner beans

nearly ready to go in ground or pots;
    cavalo nero
    green & yellow courgettes
    assorted squash
    cukes
    salad
    sweetcorn
    dwarf beans

growing in pots;
    cultivated rocket
    pea shoots for salads
    tomatoes
    chillis
    aubergines
    peppers

today;
    planted kale seeds
    savoy seeds
    brocolli seeds
    more salad
    more dwarf beans
    brussel sprouts

it's a busy time of year.

will get snapping as things develop, jimmeh!!

I have a bit of a surplus of kale seedling at the moment. Any idea what I can do with them? I guess I could eat the thinnings, but apart from that? I'm tempted to annex the round-a-bout at the top of my road for some guerilla gardening... but while I'm possibly deficient in iron, I'm not convinced I need that much extra lead in my diet

I think I've left it a little late to plant my chard and spinach... but I'll give it a bash, what's the worst that could happen?

cobweb

i'm giving up on my veg growing
    even planting the seeds is a problem, it's always so bleedin windy the seeds blow away!
    so many of my young plants have terrible windburn, its soul destroying, you need a really well sheltered garden here to have any success.
    I will stick with just my raspberry plants which are growing well, and i seem to be ok at growing pansies and poppies here, so at least they are pretty .
    I do have a couple of strong indoor tomato plants so they will stay indoors, safely with me

at least you'll have tomatos and raspberries!!!

my lettuce is taking over my boxes!!!! i think its time to start giving it to the animals my tomato plants and pepper plants are HUGE! but still no fruit. I think I was under watering them, cause once I started flooding the boxes they started growing faster...probably has something to do with the fact that its been about 100 degrees F lately....ugh.