Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Anyone growing their own veg this year?

Default Re: Anyone growing their own veg this year?

I have planted Mooli.

Pakchoi.

Garlic.
    Last edited by jadeoxon; Jun 25th, 2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: pics
    Love life love soya...

I also tried with living pakchoi salad bought from sainsburys. I moved them from the pot to soil hoping they can grow bigger.
    Didnt work out. They just grew old very quickly.
    Love life love soya...

I bought a mooli root once.

Are pak choi brassicas ?
    Are those yellow flowers from the pak choi jadeoxon?

Quote Cedarblue

i've got some photos, i must upload them! we are very pleased that our garden plot looks just like the pictures in some books.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your beauties Cedarblue.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Yes it is the root part of mooli usually eaten. The leaves are nice though, stir fried, when they are young.
    I like mooli root in soup.
    Yes the yellow flowers come from Pak Choi. They didnt grow big as I hoped. Grew old instead.
    Love life love soya...

I don't think Pak Choi is brassicas. From what I read online, brassicas is cabbage, broccoli, swede stuff. Pak Choi is quite different from them I think.
    Love life love soya...

It is a brassica
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I'm growing basil, and have made a fair number of plates of spaghetti 'n' vegan pesto (big handful of basil, olive oil as much as necessary to get the pesto the consistency you want, start with a couple of tbsp, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, two or three walnuts. Blend it all it and YUM).

I'm also growing geraniums, but i don't think they count as food

(Be kind, people - I only have a balcony! Although I want to start looking into growing some other veg here too, I know it's possible )

so my sweetcorn is 2 - 3ft high and growing nice and strong. sprouting from the base looks like extra shoots growing. i'm thinking these are like the side shoots that i pinch out of tomato plants - anyone know what i'm talking about and know what to do? i'm thinking i should take these side growths out but i'm not certain??

As it was so sunny and lovely on Sunday, I spent some time in the garden getting rid of weeds, and then found some veggies were ready for eating. Emptied one of my potato bags, my first lot of the year, and some mange tout (second lot, if a tiny amount). Potatoes then became potato salad, and mange tout went into a veg biryani (which I forgot to take a photo of!). Tasty tasty.

Before...

After...

Excellent, sh.

Our mange-tout is going crazy! Wonderful stuff.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Whalespace - thanks and I love that photo of the strawbs and greens!

Cobweb - sorry, I have no idea!

SmallHelen - your potatoes and salad look great!

My broccoli and cauliflower are pretty dead so I will have to get rid of that soil and plant some of the other seeds I bought.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Am attempting tomatoes, chilli's and 'erbs

I swear the tomatoes aren't being grown slyly in growbags on the shop downstairs roof
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

that potato salad look good smallhelen!

We had a wonderful meal of steamed potatoes, mange tout and broad beans, with a Clive's pie and a few onions, lettuce leaves and radishes yesterday.

Apart from the pie, we are talking food metres!
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

And yet, it would be such a long way for me to come over for tea

I've been collecting wild cherries the last week or so. Some of them are a little bitter, so will become schnapps, and some have already been eaten, or turned into compot. I've got a batch left to freeze too.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Potatoes, Calabrese, French Beans, Spinach and Carrots. Straight from our allotment this afternoon. Just add Lentils and tea is done!!

My boyfriend's growing chillis and habaneros at home and we tried one red chilli yesterday and it was unbelievably hot! O_O

We're going to grow some more veggies next year! : D

How many Scovilles was it, do you think?

I looked it up and it says that the chilli has a scoville between 1500 - 2500.
    Not THAT hot, but I'm not used to it anymore..

Here's a pic of it: http://twitpic.com/bc17o

The OH put some stuff into the local agricultural show on Saturday and won 8 prizes!

The tray of four varieties of potato got third prize too (we lost the sign) but the dish of cooked spuds on the left is just there because it looks nice.

Everything is veganic (vegan organic).

Well done DavidT (and Mrs T)
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

It's encouraging as some of those guys enter every year - this is her first time.

The show is not anywhere near veganism in other respects, of course: butchers' lambs and best half-dozen eggs and so on. But showing off veganic veg. might just get people thinking!

Great piccies everyone

I'm growing kohl rabi, cucumbers, red aubergines, broccoli amongst other goodies. I did have lettuce growing, but decided to let the slugs and snails have it (I grew more stuff than I could handle this year, so don't mind sharing!).

The allotment is overgrown with blackberries so will be making lots of tasty smoothies. yay!

David. I know I might be being a bit cheeky, but any chance you or your wife could give us a few tips on veganic gardening?

This year has been the first year I have grown anything of note in the garden, and I'd like to make a little raised bed for next year. I don't think we'll get enough from it to fully feed ourselves, but as they say 'Don't do nothing, because you can't do everything'

Crikey where to start?

You have to compost everything: grass (mixed with other stuff and straw), all your kitchen waste (take neighbours' too) and, a final frontier or a bridge too far, whatever you're having, you can compost your own body products.

We've had 'vegan' compost heaps going for ten and more years now, dotted round the garden, so some of them have lovely well-rotted compost. Our humanure heap is not yet a year old so that will be some time in the settling.

Even if you can't organise a compost toilet, you should definitely collect your wee. Dilute for around plants and use it neat on compost heaps. You will see the difference in a woody compost heap once you start adding wee.

Nettles left in water for a couple of weeks smell awful but make fantastic fertiliser.

As for raised beds, use larch boards for preference. Railway sleepers are often used but they're cumbersome, expensive and may leach chemicals.

If you can get well-rotted compost, spread that thickly on your plot, cover with straw and in six months' time you simply make small holes, drop in your seed potatos and seal the holes again. No digging required. In fact, digging is to avoided at all costs. Let the worms do the work - don't go chopping them in half!

Alternatively, you can plant stuff just for manure. Google 'green manure'. Also, if you grow lettuce, you cut them to eat and leave the roots in the ground to rot. Growing things like peas is great for soil. All the plant and pods can go into a compost heap or let rot in the ground.

I'll talk to the OH (the boss and brains around here) and continue later.

Thanks David.

That's a really helpful set of information to start with Almost all the organic gardening sites/books I've found suggest use of non-vegan products, so this is very good to have.

I hope to move to a house with a bit more growing room in the next few years, so I'm trying to learn the basics in a smallish area, experience I can transfer as I get a bit more land to work on.

There are lots of vegan organic websites too, Ms_Derious.

One of the most important parts of (vegan) organic gardening is companion planting, where you use the properties of plants to help others. I'm sure you know this. Close planting helps too. All our pea plants are trained up canes and are very closely spaced. There's no room for weeds!

chefness

- I feel the need to keep reviving old threads and for that I do apologize, but I'd rather not start a new repeat! -

I have 7 acres ready to plant, and three greenhouses growing away marvelously. Every herb you can imagine, and vegges like the dickens - oh my I can't wait to plant - I've got a whole house full of seedlings and beautiful lush fresh greens every day. We just opened the last 25kg bag of local flour to bake breads and other such goods!
    Oh my, I just love living sustainably!

Seven acres sounds huge Chefness. How many people work your plot.... or how many people days?

sounds wonderful chefness - we sowed our toms, chillis & peppers last weekend and they are popping through now! just put our spuds in a tray to chit & are planning this years bounty.

we dug up the last of the parsnips today and had the last of the kale for lunch.

chefness

My mother and I are co-owners of our organic farm - The Herb Farm. We both work the 7 acres and care for the earth - and it blesses us with bounty

That sounds lovely.

My allotment needs me.

been sooooo busy of late and especially over this easter weekend.

first salad sowings coming through with some collard greens - also cucumbers, rocket, toms, chillis and peppers.

been putting in onion sets and spring onion seeds.

sowed herbs; basil, parsley, chervil, coriander.

sowed radishes, yellow & green courgettes, sweetcorn, butternut squash, mixed winter squash & some carrots.

did 2nd sowing of salad stuffs and will be putting some parsnip, rainbow chard & spinach over the easter school hols.

phew!

RubyDuby

just put in red onions and white potatoes. We have a lot more work to do digging up the beds by hand so I can plant the carrots, beets, radish and corn. It's a lot of work and hard to find the time and energy! Need to get my butt in gear.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Never grown my own veg before- unless you count a few mostly failed attempts at parsley indoors and lots of sprouting! (which reminds me I need to start this up again..)- but for the first time I'm giving it a go in my mum's garden!

Sowed the first seeds the other day- rocket and mixed (loose leaf) lettuce.

In a few weeks will sow carrot seeds and a little while later, some beetroot.

SO excited about this!!! Can't wait for the satisfaction of eating veg I have grown myself...

x x x

This year we are growing
    Low growing peas
    Kale
    Squash
    Rhubarb
    Beans (with nasturtiums to ward off blackfly and provide yummy blossoms)
    Tomato
    Micro lettuce leaves

We also have two fruit bushes and are expecting to get some small strawberry plants as cast offs from my parents.

Put in a raised bed this year (yay) My husband (also vegan) put some photos of the construction up on twitpic
    http://twitpic.com/photos/oDCo

its good to read that some vegans know the joy of gardening. its soul satisfying.

my brother has a common sized lot which he has transformed into a high yielding garden with his interest in permaculture. last year he said he got 1000 pds of potatoes, 5 pds of hops, lots of tomatoes and other things. this year he said he's already got like 6000 dollars of garlic and hundreds of tomatoe plants started among other things. i think gardening has made the potential of being fully vegetarian more realizeable for him.

I have got some baby globe artichokes doing nicely in the kitchen - sounds rather pretentious I know but I have had some success with growing them from seed in the past and artichokes are soooo expensive in the shops. I also have some baby nettles I have got other seeds in but that's all that's come up so far.

i need to start!!!! eep!!!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

RubyDuby

I know! I started a couple weeks ago and have since gotten lazy!

artichokes. good idea. they are expensive!

i plant things and then get bored and lazy and stop watering and weeding....so then once my plants start dying out goes my little handy man boyfriend and brings them back to life! and then i get interested again once HE shows interest...don't want him to one up me.

i'm soooo not an artichoke fan....i like the artichoke hearts on pizza but otherwise...yuck.... maybe i don't cook them right...how do you eat them?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

RubyDuby

out of a can! lol

My strawberries produced teeny tiny strawberries, they were lovely

I planted pineapple and purple sage, the pineapple died and now the purple is being eaten by caterpillars.

I have some other potted herbs up on a table so they're far away from the bugs: basil, tarragon, coriander & thyme. All are doing so well, so far!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Re artichokes - I boil them, then dismember them and dip the bases of the leaves in vinaigrette and eat those. Then I eat the heart (minus hair) and the stalk if not too tough.

Takes half the evening and must burn a few calories

pea shoots popping up for pea plants proper and also pea shoots for eating.

magenta sunflowers popping up.

planted the spinach and chard, need to put in some parsnips in soon.

today or tomorrow will be sowing dwarf french beans and nasturtiums.

radishes popping up and carrots in raised beds too.

yesterday i planted 8 raspberry canes for fruting next year - hope they take ok.

1st early spuds popping up in the pots.

Wow! How industrious you all are.

How do you do the pea shoots for eating, cedar? I recently did some in my sprouter and they turned out a bit odd, though edible. Am wondering if it would be better to do them in soil.

no, not in a sprouter - just one of those black shallow seed trays with some compost in, moisten the compost then poke the peas right down to the bottom and fill in the hole (or they sometimes pop themselves above ground when the root starts to grow). that's it - leave them in a warm bright place and keep the soil just moist but not soaking (or the pea may rot) .....and just wait....snip them when they are one or two inches tall - lovely in salads or as garnish.

sometimes you can just lay some cling film over the top of the tray like a mini greenhouse/propagator to hasten things along with a higher temperature.

Thanks, I'll try growing the next lot in compost. It wasn't the rate of growth that bothered me, but they ended up a bit sort of measly compared with the peashoots you get in the shops - I realise those ones are probably injected with hormones or something It was also difficult to separate the shoots from the peas and they were a bit unappetising by the time the shoots were ready IYSWIM.

you can do it, harpers!!

Wasn't going to plant anything this year as we are planning on moving. But, then I gave in and planted some mange tout and dwarf beans yesterday. Hopefully they will grow quick and I can eat them before we leave this house!