Thread: What do I feed my 1 year old...

Default What do I feed my 1 year old...

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am so glad I found it. Anyway, My husband and I decided to become vegan. We have a son who just turned one and we want to switch him over to the vegan lifestyle as well. I was wondering what do you all feed your children? How do they get the sufficient amount of protein? Also, I was reading about B12 and iron being important to vegan toddlers because of their growth..do you give your children supplements? Please let me know. I would really appreciate all your help. Thanks so much!

P.S. Also what kind of milk do you feed your toddlers? Soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk?

Default Re: What do I feed my 1 yr. old...

Hello there

I'm sure you will get replies from other parents, but in the meantime you may find this helpful:

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/peo...egan_children/

It does refer to some British products but the general points made are international.

Fortified soy milk. I've heard not to give your toddler almond or other milk because it lacks sufficient protein. I give my 13-m/o soy milk and she loves it, and even regular Silk is fortified with omega 3s and 6s.

Hey harpy thanks for the link. It was very very helpful!

JessicaH, I heard that soy milk was dangerous for children? I also heard from a woman on another board that she drank a lot of soy for a year or something and that her and her husband were trying to conceive but they weren't able to..then her doctor told her to go off of soy and when she did- one month later she got pregnant...so I'm not sure if soy will affect my son's fertility in the future. I'm kinda scared. I read the thread on soy and I was going to give my son soy milk but then that woman told me her story. So now I am kind of worried.

Soul Rebel

cheerios is fortified with B12 & D.
    From what I've read just make sure you provide a well balanced diet full of fuit, veggie, beans and grains. Other than that make sure the toddler gets enought B12, D and omega 3.

We feed our kids what ever vegan food they want.

We base our diet around grains, so they have a lot of choice on that. WG pasta, rice, etc. We get SILK brand soymilk, so that's fortified pretty well. The kids also love nuts and butters and oils and nutritional yeast. As long as the kids get enough calories, they end up having enough of everything, since pasta/breads are fortified with iron, and the veggies have everything else in abundance, and the soymilk has the few things we might miss. We also give them a vegan kid's multi vitamin once every few days 'cause it's easy, and it makes us feel better, even if they already get all they need from diet.
    context is everything

I have a 1 year old vegan. He's is still breastfeeding regularly so that gives me some comfort. Other than that he eats peas, rice, oats, blueberries, melon, peaches, apples, beans of all kinds, lentils, hummus, pears, carrots...okay...he eats all kinds of stuff! LOL. I don't give him soy milk or rice milk since he's breastfeeding.

When my oldest was one he drank soy milk though. Now that I've done more research on it though, I avoid giving it to him and drink rice and almond milk mostly.

Quote evansmommy View Post
    JessicaH, I heard that soy milk was dangerous for children? I also heard from a woman on another board that she drank a lot of soy for a year or something and that her and her husband were trying to conceive but they weren't able to..then her doctor told her to go off of soy and when she did- one month later she got pregnant...so I'm not sure if soy will affect my son's fertility in the future. I'm kinda scared. I read the thread on soy and I was going to give my son soy milk but then that woman told me her story. So now I am kind of worried.
    We went through the same dilemma with soy milk. I believe soy is not healthy unless it has been fermented, such as tempeh, or sprouted.

Here in Australia we have a wonderful rice milk that tastes far better than soy and as far as I know it has none of the drawbacks of soy milk.

We have two toddlers aged one and three and they are vegans, extremely healthy and bigger than most of their peers of the same age.

Quote evansmommy View Post
    LOL. If that were true we wouldn't have children! We don't use soymilk except for baking, but we do eat other soy products. We joke that all we have to do is THINK about becoming pregnant. However, my husband is not vegan, so his diet contains soy plus occasional seafood, eggs & cheese when he is out with friends or traveling, but he eats vegan at home.
    mama to Ryan (7), AJ (6), Nate (3), Maia (1), all born at home.

Quote evansmommy;264139
    [COLOR=#0000ff
    P.S. Also what kind of milk do you feed your toddlers? Soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk?[/COLOR]
    Preferably breastmilk for a minimum of 2 years. Our boys also enjoy combos of almond milk, rice milk, hemp milk...and smoothies made with coconut milk.
    mama to Ryan (7), AJ (6), Nate (3), Maia (1), all born at home.

Default Re: What do I feed my 1 year old...

My daughter is 1 1/2. She eats whole grain cereals, breads, pastas, lots of whole fruits and veggies, tofu, nut butters, etc. Basically what we eat. She is also still breastfeeding. If you're not breastfeeding, I'd recommend a fortified nondairy milk.

~Lux