Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Things vegans don't worry about (list)...

Default Re: Things vegans don't worry about (list)...

getting ill.

I never get ill everyone I know gets ill frequently, ie. people at work, my friends, my family.

I have NEVER been in hospital. I stopped getting ill when I turned veggie, and havent taken a day off work/college/uni since becoming vegan.

Actually..I have taken a few days off here & there due to self-induced hangovers, but thats my own doing hehe!

I've never tasted any vegan food that I didn't like!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote lozza View Post
    getting ill.

I never get ill everyone I know gets ill frequently, ie. people at work, my friends, my family.

I have NEVER been in hospital. I stopped getting ill when I turned veggie, and havent taken a day off work/college/uni since becoming vegan.

Actually..I have taken a few days off here & there due to self-induced hangovers, but thats my own doing hehe!
    Thats true, I haven't had a day off work sick for 4 years now
    Silent but deadly :p

I do still get sick occasionally...like now lol!!!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

sugarmouse

I dont worry about what I taste like downstairs

ahhhhhh salad fingers!
    ▼Laurin▼

Aghhhh!!! Salad fingers!

When I orginally read that in my email I thought you were saying that Salad Fingers wasn't something you had to worry about, hehe.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

sugarmouse

I had never heard of salad fingers until few months ago and do not know how I came across him but I was very amused!Lol

Waht else dont I have to worry about.. hmm..gettin the stringy bits of meat caught in myteeth, or choking on small bones

Quote sugarmouse View Post

Waht else dont I have to worry about.. hmm..gettin the stringy bits of meat caught in myteeth, or choking on small bones
    Gristle! Yuck!

I've never found a piece of gristle in Tofurky; that's a huge plus.

We don't have to worry about being constipated
    Silent but deadly :p

Actually, some do. I have IBS and I get constipation.
    Last edited by flutterby; Jul 26th, 2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: a number of replies to this post are now in http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977 thread
    Peace, love, and happiness.

The best thing I don't have to worry about is eating all the junk food that my mom brings home for the family, like cakes, cookies, & pies from the supermarket bakery. If I wasn't vegan, I would probably eat them constantly and have a hard time maintaining my weight. But since they're not vegan, I don't even acknowledge them as potential food. The only exception is if someone buys junk food that happens to be vegan, like chips and salsa!
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Jippia

when I was still eating meat, years ago, I used to have a stomach ailment now and then. Just the other day I was telling a friend that I had not had that every since I became a vegetarian and especially now I am a vegan, I can say that I seldom have bowel or stomach problems. Must be all the fiber, like Bic says .

Mirjam

A number of posts about IBS are now in the Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) thread, http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977 .

Quote lozza View Post
    getting ill.

yeah this is definitely not true for me lol.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

People always moaning about the rise in prices of fish n chips, good I say it might stop people eating it.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Russ

A lot of things people have already said ... the illness thing for one, I am at much less risk of terminal problems, and get ill far less frequently than when I was omni / veggie ...

Also the ... snot ... factor, is definitely true, even on those rare occasions when I do get ill and congested, it is much easier to .. deal with. I'm pretty sure that's cause dairy produces/induces phlegm.

And the testosterone part is something I can affirm to, I am more .. urm ... let's say, virile ... than when I was at eighteen or before (eighteen being when I went vegan).

Though perhaps most importantly, I don't have to worry about being alone in life. When I was veggie, and during the first year and a half of being vegan I was surrounded by omnis and didn't really feel I could relate that well to my meat-eating friends, so often ended up staying at home, and became kind of reclusive ... the fear of being stuck in this kind of life has diminished over the last year .. having met people from the forum which developed from, almost a novelty into being part of the best group of friends I've ever had ...
    I'd have to screw up pretty badly to not be able to see anyone again, so I think that life as a disgruntled hermit is now a fear I can safely put aside ... No offence intended to the disgruntled hermit community.

I don't have to worry about what I am going to eat when I go to a restaurant -- there is usually only 1 or 2 things that I can eat, anyway (after I've modified it). Yay!

High cholesterol. When I went from vegetarian to vegan, my cholesterol level dropped 50 points, putting me in the healthy range.

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    I dont have to worry about anyone accusing me of not being a thinker. unlike many folk I meet.
    Lol, I agree! Us vegans, we're all thinkers

I'm happy that I don't have to worry about justifying to myself that I'm living consistently with my ethics - to me the arguments for veganism are impenetrable and a great way to live your life.
    I don't have to worry about de-boning my food, or cutting the fat off of an animal before I eat it - can't believe I ever did that stuff!
    I don't have to worry about my food being fresh, I can tell easily.
    I don't have to worry about chemicals getting into my body - I use all natural toothpaste, deoderant, shampoo, shower gel etc - and none of them are tested on animals
    "Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said, 'I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!'?” - Calvin and Hobbes

Well, apart from the big things like factoryfarm atrocities and climate change, there are various small benefits I've found to veganism too:

I don't have to worry about food spoiling quickly. I can leave a pot on the stove to cool overnight, I can leave leftovers in the fridge for a week, and the stuff is still edible. Almost nothing ever spoils, unless I really neglect it for ages.

I don't have to worry about getting smelly feet and blisters, since my microfibre shoes breathe better and don't crease and rub my feet like leather shoes did

I don't have to worry about getting diarrhoea or constipation as much as I did as a meat-eater

I don't have to worry about learning all the tricks necessary to not make a steak dry and leathery, because unlike meat, most vegetables taste great quite effortlessly, whether they're raw, fried a little bit, fried a lot, salted, unsalted, or whatever

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:11 AM.

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:11 AM.

MCMLXXXVI, vegans do eat saturated fat. Saturated fat exists in things like palm oil and coconut milk. But yeah, vegans tend to consume way less of it, since it's only in a few things, and not in our core foods like it is for meat-eaters.

Also, they say that 1 hectare can feed 19 vegans or 1 meat-eater, which has massive implications for not just land use but for water use, climate change and the welfare of human civilisation in the long term. So one of the main drawcards of being vegan for me is feeling comfortable in the knowledge that I've done the right thing and dramatically minimised how much of a parasite I am on this planet. I still consume a lot of resources, but a hell of a lot less than I used to.

I don't worry as much about my leftovers, if I forget to put them away I still eat them. So far I haven't gotten sick from leaving stir-fry out all night.
    I don't have to worry about bingeing, then gaining oodles of weight.
    I don't have to worry about the bears getting into my trash bins because they are not filled with bones and flesh and I just throw the veggie trash out the back door (which the bears find more convenient anyway).
    Soy and nut milks have a much longer shelf life.
    When I take snacks to my daughters preschool I don't have to make any changes for one or 2 kids due to special diets.
    If I don't finish everything on my plate I don't have to feel guilty that an animal died for my meal-probably my favorite reason.
    Idon't have to worry if I catch my kitty drinking from my cup that she is going to get sick from dairy.
    Cows milk for baby cows, Human milk for baby humans.

A lot of times I'll go food shopping and then do something else in town and since being vegan I don't worry about leaving stuff in my car a few hours.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I no longer have to consider how much pus might be in the milk I am using..

I'm surprised how many people think vegan food can't go bad. All food can spoil. Sure, you might not have to worry about e.coli but your food can still go off. Rice is a perfect example of a vegan food that can get quite nasty after a few days (cooked) in the fridge.

- left overs last longer, and I don't have to worry if my meal is going to spoil by lunchtime on a warm day
    - being a huge contributor to global warming
    - housemates eating all my food
    - the kitty getting sick from stealing my ice-cream or mushroom stroganoff (2 of her favourite things to eat when I'm not looking)
    - feeling bloated after dinner
    - feeling guilty about what I eat
    - acne

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I'm surprised how many people think vegan food can't go bad. All food can spoil. Sure, you might not have to worry about e.coli but your food can still go off. Rice is a perfect example of a vegan food that can get quite nasty after a few days (cooked) in the fridge.
    Of course it can go bad, but in my experience it takes way longer. There are a few vegan foods like rice that you have to be more careful about, but there are many more that have quite a forgiving lifespan, like most veggies, mushrooms or nuts. I've left veg stock on the stove for over a day (or in the fridge for up to a week) and it's still tasted fine; I never would have been able to do that with chicken stock. I came back from a 7 week holiday once and there was still an oat milk carton in the work fridge right where I left it; I threw it out because it seemed slightly thickened and with a slightly different smell, but that's nothing compared what it would have looked like if it was cow's milk!

I've probably become more lax with leftovers since going vegan, and yet the three times I've had food poisoning in my life were all when I was pregan (from beef twice, from seafood once)

Unless you've been diagnosed by a doctor, you never really know if you have been food poisoned or not.

Well, the vomiting and 24 hours of intense stomach pain kind of gave me a hunch...

I just think it's really irresponsible to claim that vegan food can't spoil when it certainly can.

I read somewhere that 70% of food poisoning is caused by animal products.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I just think it's really irresponsible to claim that vegan food can't spoil when it certainly can.
    Nobody has made that claim on this thread.

Quote imblissful
    don't worry as much about my leftovers, if I forget to put them away I still eat them. So far I haven't gotten sick from leaving stir-fry out all night.
    Quote felix_amborosa
    - left overs last longer, and I don't have to worry if my meal is going to spoil by lunchtime on a warm day
    Quote Stillwater
    I don't have to worry about food spoiling quickly. I can leave a pot on the stove to cool overnight, I can leave leftovers in the fridge for a week, and the stuff is still edible. Almost nothing ever spoils, unless I really neglect it for ages.

I have no idea how you managed to get "vegan food can't spoil" out of any of those statements.

I don't know why you are getting so defensive about it. Vegan food spoils. Deal with it.

Yep. Everyone already agreed that vegan food spoils. Welcome to the table.

I think this has just been a case of a very stupid misunderstanding gone way too far off track. Basically, no one here ever said that vegan food doesn't spoil. Probably because we're intelligent human beings, and not idiots. Yet somehow you decided that we did say that, and started wagging your finger at us for it. If I got defensive, I guess it's 'cause I was being wrongly accused of saying something that I never said. It was especially annoying since the thing I was being accused of saying ("vegan food never spoils") is something that only a moron would say.

So yes, we all agree - vegan food spoils. Most of us also seem to agree that much of it tends to spoil less quickly than meat, dairy and eggs do. Can we move on now? Please?

I never worry about a calcium defiency! My girlfriends mum is always worried whether she's getting enough calcium. This is because she eats way too much shit that leeches it from her bones and we don't. I eat green leafy vegetables raw, every single day.

I don't have to worry about parasites that you can get from (half) raw meat (bbq for example) and that slows your brain and makes you more dangerous in traffic that way.

There is one thing.... Vegans wont get as many strokes and heart attacks

...missing garbage day

It was raining and we didn't take the bin out to the road. veg matter gets chucked into the garden anyway so that doesn't leave any stinking rotting @&%! to attract varmints
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Gaining heaps of weight. Even if I spend months eating junk (chips, bread, pasta etc) I still dont really put on any.

Rocket Queen

Quote gooberboggle View Post
    Gaining heaps of weight. Even if I spend months eating junk (chips, bread, pasta etc) I still dont really put on any.
    I still get fat dead easy
    Quote sprollie View Post
    There is one thing.... Vegans wont get as many strokes and heart attacks
    And I drink and smoke. But I don't suffer as much guilt and can look at my furbabies in peace
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Like when you see those starving kiddies on the TV ...

I used to get a bit of conscience tweak that mebbe something was wrong if we can't find enough food for them whilst I was stuffing my face on overfed pigs and chickens and cows.

Don't feel quite the same worry that I'm as much a direct contributor to the 'fat cow, skinny kiddy' paradox now.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

I can eat more! (without falling ill)

Seriously. I'm convinced my stomach has grown! It's great! 2x pudding.

My flat mates always say they can't believe the amount of food I can pack away.
    "The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

Breaking the ice.

No, really. Since I went vegan, I'm sort of a curiosity, and I never want for things to talk about with new people. My friends introduce me as "This is Bri, she's a vegan." Sometimes I do resent that people assume it's my only defining characteristic, but conversations come easily and I do stick out in peoples' minds as something new and different. That's always nice.

OH! BAD BREATH!
    "The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

I don't have to book off a time slot in my appointment book to use the bathroom.

I find it crazy how people take so long and they even bring reading material. I don't even have time to flip the book open before I'm done.

Dear People:
    If you require reading material in the bathroom to keep you occupied while doing your business, you should highly consider increasing your FIBER and WATER in takes!