Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Things vegans don't worry about (list)...

Default Re: Things vegans don't worry about (list)...

I don't have to worry about erectile dysfunction.

me neither
    Eve

HAHAAAAA LOL!! Eve!!

Maybe it was too much information, but it's true. Staying with the theme, men who eat lots of meat have lower sperm counts, decreased ejaculatory volume and poor sperm mobility. Also, vegan men have 13% higher testosterone levels than men who eat meat.

That's right, real men don't eat meat.

I feel manly now

Default don't worry...

keep up the good work, vegan men!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

sugarmouse

lol on that note, I dont have to worry if I taste sour downstairs or if my animal friends can trust in me.

Many diseases transmitted to humans, from animals, can be transmitted by living near the animals; you don't have to eat the animal materials in any noticable quantity. This includes salmonella for example. You don't have to eat poultry products to get salmonella. You can get salmonella, if, say, a neighbor owns a lizard and they walk into your house and shake hands with you, after touching the lizard. Then if you touch your hand to your mouth or nose, you can get enough salmonella organisms to get an infection with significant diarhea. If they let the lizard crawl on their carpeting, and you walk on their carpeting, then walk home, then remove your shoes, then forget to wash your hands before preparing your raw salad -- you can pick up enough salmonella organisms to get an infection.
    Soil to soil.

"Personally speaking, I don't have to worry about my stomach troubles! I had an ulcer which almost perforated while I was a veggie, but since I've been vegan (a year in January) I've felt absolutely wonderful. No indigestion, no waking in the middle of the night in pain, no nausea, no not wanting to eat, infact I've never felt better. I didn't become vegan for health reasons they were just an added bonus. Now, I not only feel better physically but mentally too! "

I developed stomach and duodenal ulcer after being vegan for about 35 years. I also took NSAID's for those 35 years, and most likely that was the cause. Interestingly the main symtom I got was nausea and inability to hold ANYTHING down, for weeks. Even carrot juice and canteloupes tended to come back up, unless I wanted to experience pain in my stomach area. I never got the classic "heartburn" symtoms. No burning sensation. And the pain was never in my heart area, but was several inches below my heart area.
    Soil to soil.

"Also, vegan men have 13% higher testosterone levels than men who eat meat."

Is that good? I'm not convinced that it is good, and certainly, having a low testosterone level does not seem to be anything to worry about, while having too high a level might. It could increase the likelyhood of prostate cancer.
    Soil to soil.

sprite1986

What a spoilsport...

A bit of realism is good, though. I know it bothers me when people tote veganism or raw food or pretty much anything as being the cure-all wonder diet.

Quote soilman View Post
    "Also, vegan men have 13% higher testosterone levels than men who eat meat."

Is that good? I'm not convinced that it is good, and certainly, having a low testosterone level does not seem to be anything to worry about, while having too high a level might. It could increase the likelyhood of prostate cancer.
    I think you're assuming that the testosterone level of meat eaters is the normal range. Our bodies will not naturally produce testosterone in amounts that would be harmful. The only concern from high testosterone levels and prostate growth is from people supplementing large doses.

The point of my last post wasn't about healthy-vegan diets producing too much sex hormones, it's about meat-based diets suppressing what's normal. I believe the figure is that over the last seventy years, the average man's sperm count is only a third of what it use to be.

"I think you're assuming that the testosterone level of meat eaters is the normal range. Our bodies will not naturally produce testosterone in amounts that would be harmful. The only concern from high testosterone levels and prostate growth is from people supplementing large doses. "

I don't think so. It is possible to produce an excess amount, for more than one reason. It could happen that too much is being produced by the testicles or in other tissues. Or it could happen that the process for metabolizing and excreting testosterone is proceeding too slowly.

"The point of my last post wasn't about healthy-vegan diets producing too much sex hormones, it's about meat-based diets suppressing what's normal. I believe the figure is that over the last seventy years, the average man's sperm count is only a third of what it use to be."

Sperm count can be affected by many things, not just testosterone. A decrease in sperm count can occur in the presence of excess testosterone, a normal amount, or a decreased amount.

The situation can be more complicated than it may at first seem. For example it has been found that gynecomastia is caused by an excess of the female hormone, progesterone. However progesterone is produced when testosterone is metabolized, and it has been shown that an increase in testosterone from an outside source can actuallly make gynecomastia worse, because the root cause is really an imbalance that includes an increased rate of breakdown of testosterone, and thus an increased circulating amount of the progesterone. Add more testosterone from an outside source, and since it is getting metabolized too fast, there are even greater circulating levels of progesterone — and gynecomastia gets worse. The low circulating level of testosterone may not be due to too little being produced by the testicles. The testicles may be producing the correct amount, but the liver may be breaking that down too fast. No-one is really sure exactly what is going on.
    Soil to soil.

I don't worry about not going to Heaven.
    Last edited by boomshanka; Jan 29th, 2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: .

Talking Re: Things vegans don't worry about (list)...

telling all your friends, co-workers, and family that you are THE ONLY person you know who didnt get the flu this winter when it was going around.

my immune system rocks!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Since being Vegan:

Food doesn't make me feel sick so I'm less of a fussy eater. I think this was because I was lactose intolerant without even knowing it.

I throw up a lot less often. I've only thrown up twice since I've been vegan about 4 and a half years ago. You are much less likely to get food poisoning from vegitable matter. Stomach bugs are an apsolute rarity. My dog Jilli hasn't thrown up at all since I changed her diet even though she isn't vegan but as near as I can manage.

I'm less likely to get diabeties, cancer, heart disease, or superbugs

Talking about colesterol a meat eating friend thought there was colesteral in vegan margerine so I handed him a packet of 'pure' so he could read for himself. He still came up with 'but it does contain saturated fat' but that's differant from Colesterol. He just doesn't like being proved wrong.

dreama, while your friend is wrong, and cholesterol is close to entirely absent from any plant-origin material, artificially saturated plant oils, that is, hydrogenated oils such as those found in margerine - it is beginning to appear that these are an even greater health risk than animal fats.
    Soil to soil.

I'm pretty sure the Pure margarine specifically states that it does not contain hydrogenated fat.

Monday x

nervine

We can eat our burgers RAW. I often can't be assed to cook them so I put them in a sandwich with curryketchup :p

That sounds like a good idea Nervine, I might try that!

sprite1986

Quote nervine View Post
    We can eat our burgers RAW. I often can't be assed to cook them so I put them in a sandwich with curryketchup

Haha, I do that too!

We have SO many yummy "milks" to choose from (almond, soy, oat, rice) instead of one boring gross kind.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

nervine

Quote Yoggy View Post
    We have SO many yummy "milks" to choose from (almond, soy, oat, rice) instead of one boring gross kind.
    I say that all the time

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    When you get a bronchial infection, you're less likely to have phlegm, (phlegm makes the infection even worse). I had a bronchial infection last year or the year before, and the doctor was amazed that I had no phlegm.
    Thats an interesting point, do you know why that is, even when you do get a cold, the phlegm and snot (sorry) dont seem to be the same consistency as when i was a meat eater (hate saying that).

it's a known fact, and i've noticed it myself, that dairy products seem to be the main factor...once i gave up dairy, apart from no mucus/phlegm, i never had colds/flu either. i've had several relapses to eating dairy products, and everytime, after just a few hours, i could immediately feel the mucus forming.
    Piggy

Quote piggy View Post
    it's a known fact, and i've noticed it myself, that dairy products seem to be the main factor...once i gave up dairy, apart from no mucus/phlegm, i never had colds/flu either. i've had several relapses to eating dairy products, and everytime, after just a few hours, i could immediately feel the mucus forming.
    Yes, was thinking along those lines Piggy. Definately see why asthmatics should steer clear of milk.
    People wont have it though when you try to explain, all the promotional material down the years for it being healthy. There should be a big campaign for this in the nationals, but i know they wont.
    I got a real bee in my bonnet over this.
    Milk - I hate the stuff !!

x

it's also the main reason why babies and toddlers are always "snotty"...they live on cow's milk. but try telling certain *tv-ad-watching* people that, when they've got it imprinted in their brains that babies HAVE to have cow's milk in order to survive.
    my mom used to be proud of me when i was a baby, because i never had a runny nose, due to her only feeding me breastmilk *tee hee*
    Piggy

Quote piggy View Post
    it's also the main reason why babies and toddlers are always "snotty"...they live on cow's milk. but try telling certain *tv-ad-watching* people that, when they've got it imprinted in their brains that babies HAVE to have cow's milk in order to survive.
    my mom used to be proud of me when i was a baby, because i never had a runny nose, due to her only feeding me breastmilk *tee hee*

Good on your mum, people need re educating, but they have been brainwashed for that many years it gets more difficult.

piper

I can use the same cutting board and knife through all the meal prep for dinner and/or lunch now. No more worrying about having to use one board and knife for veggies and the other for raw meat. Also, I don't have to wash my hands 3 trillion times while making dinner because I'm not touching any raw meat.

I don't have to worry about meat ruining my taste for fresh raw fruits and vegetables (When I was a meateater I hated the taste of raw vegetables!)

My brother is a doctor with many years experience and in a very high position in the doctors world and he said i must have zero cholesterol!

i don't have to worry about there being any dead animal parts in my body, which is a lovely feeling
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Quote piper View Post
    I can use the same cutting board and knife through all the meal prep for dinner and/or lunch now. No more worrying about having to use one board and knife for veggies and the other for raw meat. Also, I don't have to wash my hands 3 trillion times while making dinner because I'm not touching any raw meat.

I read about this woman who was both an orthodox jew and vegan. She said that orthodox jews were required to use seperate utensils for meat and vegetables and that she as a vegan only needed one set of everything. Hehe.
    http://www.scandikosherfood.com/kosher-veganism.html
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

piper "I can use the same cutting board and knife through all the meal prep for dinner and/or lunch now. No more worrying about having to use one board and knife for veggies and the other for raw meat. Also, I don't have to wash my hands 3 trillion times while making dinner because I'm not touching any raw meat."

Aint that neat!

Haniska "I read about this woman who was both an orthodox jew and vegan. She said that orthodox jews were required to use seperate utensils for meat and vegetables and that she as a vegan only needed one set of everything. Hehe."

Yup. I only have one set of dishes and pots and pans now. However: (1) I can't use the same dishes, or kitchen sink, and kitchen counter, as a non-kosher person and (2) I can't eat in restaurants.

I should add that my idea of kosher means not using any cookware, utensils, or surfaces, that have been used for flesh, or for dairy; only using cookware, utensils, and surfaces, that have been used for vegetable matter only.
    Soil to soil.

Mahk

There aren't any kosher restaurants?

edit: Oh wait, I think I just figured it out on my own. There are kosher restaurants, that do serve some vegan food, but none of them use pareve cookware and utensils, correct?

"There aren't any kosher restaurants?

edit: Oh wait, I think I just figured it out on my own. There are kosher restaurants, that do serve some vegan food, but none of them use pareve cookware and utensils, correct?"

There are no pareve utensils, except in veg restaurants that need only one set of utensils because they serve neither flesh nor dairy. Pareve food may be cooked and served with cookware and utensils that have been used for flesh food, or used for dairy food (but both kinds of utensils may not be used at the same meal).
    Soil to soil.

Mahk

Soilman, so the food, utensils, and cookware are all pareve at a vegan restaurant but you won't go to one unless there is a hechsher? [I just learned that word on the web and assume its meaning can be applied to a restaurant as well as a food product. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.]

"Soilman, so the food, utensils, and cookware are all pareve at a vegan restaurant but you won't go to one unless there is a hechsher?"

I guess I would have to trust the people if they say they use their utensils for plant matter only. However mostly all vegan restaurants seem to have so many fried foods and so many foods inundated with fungal ingredients, that there isn't much that my gastro-intestinal tract would be happy with. So many of them say "trust us, we're completely vegan." I don't like that at all. I like to know every single thing that is going into my body.
    Soil to soil.

Green Cuisine, a vegan restaurant in Victoria, lists the ingredients of every meal item so you know exactly what you're getting, or can make sure you're not allergic to any ingredients, etc. Too bad it's a buffet restaurant with food sitting under heat lamps for ages and great big heavy plates so they can overcharge you since the food is sold by weight. But I digress...

yoggy "Green Cuisine, a vegan restaurant in Victoria, lists the ingredients of every meal item so you know exactly what you're getting..."

That sounds terrific. That is one restaurant I might go to - if they had good ingredients that I liked.
    Soil to soil.

Yeah, I do bitch about them a lot for being so expensive and having food sit under heat lamps, but I do like not having to worry about trusting that the cook actually knows what vegan means!

Another thing vegans don't have to worry about: I don't have to worry about being too tired or not having enough time to make tacos, because my ground round is already cooked, so it's really fast and easy. No worries about browning ground beef, or simmering it for 15 minutes...5 minutes tops and my tacos are ready!

piper

I was thinking about this as I made dinner last night. I made sesame tofu veggies, rice and peanut sauce. ( my daughter will eat anything dipped in peanut sauce ) I had my little piles of all my pre-chopped stuff on my cutting board. If I was cooking w/ meat, I would have needed 2 cutting boards or bleach to sterilize the cutting board after cutting the meat.
    After dinner I made cookies and ( like someone already mentioned ) I was able to let both my children eat the cookie dough w/ reckless abandon. That made them happy!

Mahk

Just today I decided I'm not going to worry or feel guilty about the fact that I prefer the taste of "normal" pasta instead of the "whole wheat" variety. Although I suppose whole wheat pasta has more vitamins and minerals, I think the main reason most people say it's better for you is because of the higher fiber content, and I certainly don't have to worry about getting enough fiber in my diet.

I don't have to worry about having no food to eat if the power goes out during bad storms.

I have another one...

I no longer have to worry about an irregular and extremely painful menstrual cycle.

Our borough council is in the throes of introducing a degree of recycling of household waste.
    Instead of having just the one wheelie bin being emptied once a week we will have alternating fortnightly collections of two of them.
    One week will be for the collection of recyclables and the next for non-recyclables.

The general population is almost up in arms because they claim that fortnightly collections of nasties such as chicken carcasses in the summer will lead to terrible smells and will attract vermin.

Now there is a problem that vegans just won’t have!
    I may be ancient but I’m active, a bit like a volcano.

Thumbs down Re: Things vegans don't worry about (list)...

unfortunately cyril what may happen is that your neighbours who have endless rubbish and don't bother to recycle their waste will end up dumping all their decaying rubbish into any available neighbouring bins when theirs are (speedily) filled..which could end up being yours
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I don't have to worry about migraines anymore!!! hurray!!!

Quote emmapresley View Post
    unfortunately cyril what may happen is that your neighbours who have endless rubbish and don't bother to recycle their waste will end up dumping all their decaying rubbish into any available neighbouring bins when theirs are (speedily) filled..which could end up being yours
    i have put a large sign saying 'vegetable matter only' on mine!
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

I suppose we don't have to worry about this news story about supermarket hygiene, but it's not very appetising even so

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6678929.stm

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2085454,00.html