Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best ever hummus / houmous

Default Best ever hummus / houmous

Has anyone got a quick and easy recipe for houmous/hummus please?
    I fancy having a go at making my own rather than using shop made.

I like to use one can of chickpeas or 1 3/4 c. chickpeas in their juice; one roasted red pepper, chopped; 1/2 tsp. cumin; 1/2 tsp. onion powder; 1/2 tsp. garlic powder; 1/2 tsp. salt; and 1 tsp. parsley. It's easy because the ingredients are canned or already-prepared/measured or jarred (the roasted red peppers) and the spices are dried, so you don't have to worry about chopping.

Thank you both.
    Is tahini available through the supermarket or is it health food shops only?

Some supermarkets (e.g. Waitrose) certainly sell tahini - in fact some of them may have two kinds, light and dark. The dark kind has the husks left in I think and has a stronger, slightly bitter flavour.

Edited to add - I make mine in a similar way to IlFromaggio but I only use a tablespoon or two of tahini and hadn't thought of including soy cream.

Default Amazing Veggie Hummus

My vegan cowrker gave me this recipe. It is fantastic .

2 12-oz cans of chickpeas
    1 16 oz jar of tahini
    juice of 4 lemons
    4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
    6 medium cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    water as needed
    salt and pepper to taste

Mash the above together with a potato masher, fork or your hands (eww) until everything is smushed together. It should not be pastey but chunky.

Add these vegetables:
    4 grated carrots
    bunch of finely chopped parsley
    1 large chopped red pepper or chopped tomato

Optional veggies:
    bunch of grated turnips
    finely chopped celery
    chopped, seeded cucumber

Mix everything together, makes a huge bowl, enough for many days or share with friends . I eat this wrapped in lettuce leaves. Yum.

How yummy. Thanks for posting.

since this is a hummus thread, I might as well post my mommy's recipe!

2 cans chick peas (one drained, one not)
    3 (or more, depends on how much you like garlic) cloves of garlic
    1 lemon's worth of juice
    rice syrup (probably.... hmmm.. a few table spoons... can't be more than 1/4 cup. she used to use honey but changed it so I can eat it )
    tahini (never really measures but I'd guess about 1/3 a cup)
    some salt
    some olive oil

take the lemon and garlic, blend in blender, add chick peas, blend until smooth, add tahini, rice syrup, olive oil (as much as you want, don't need a lot) salt (don't need much) blend some more pour in a big bowl, drizzle some olive oil on top, eat with pita, veggies, on sandwiches, whatever.
    Overgrow the government!

Default Re: Amazing Veggie Hummus

I normally prefer lime over lemon, but I was out of both the other day and was just really wanting some hummus. So, I used ... an orange! But the funny thing is, I liked it. I didn't notice too much of a difference. Weird.

Default Re: Amazing Veggie Hummus

I would have never thought to put orange in my hummus. It sounds a really good substitution for lemon. I must try that next time I make hummus.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Default Re: Hummus recipe anyone?

My hummous is standard as posted above but with half a red chili and abundant black pepper. I like it spicey!

littleTigercub

Fava beans are a good alternative to chickpeas. But instead of blending in a blender or food processor, just mash the fave beans with a fork. You don't want it mushy, you want some bits of fava in it. This is delicious as a spread.

I had hummus for dinner tonight on a baked potato - yum.

I've run out of tahini but it still tasted fine.

http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/SaucesSalads/hummus.htm

I like it with chilli and sundried tomatoes in it.

Default hummus discovery

we cooked a lot of garbanzo beans the other week. we made half into hummus and froze the other half.

a few days ago we put the frozen beans in the fridge. then forgot that we'd done so.

so, i decided that to be safe, we should reboil the beans.

when we made hummus from the rehydrated, frozen, thawed, recooked beans, it was really smooth!

i'm sure it was far far less nutritious than it would have been if we hadn't felt the need to reboil the beans, but it was nice.
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

Default best ever hummus!

i swear this is the tastiest hummus ever! my friend who co-runs a vegan cafe here gave me this recipe and it's definitely the best hummus i've ever eaten!
    Approx:
    *2 tins of chickpeas
    *2/3 garlic cloves
    *juice of 2 lemons
    *2 tbsp tahini
    *6tbsp olive oil
    *salt and pepper
    *pinch of paprika
    *as much liquid (water, or the left over cooking liguid) as you require for desired consistency

Just bung it all in the food processor and whizz!

Vegan Traveler

Default Re: best ever hummus!

That's pretty much how I make mine, but I much prefer to use dried chickpeas.. They're soo much cheaper and they taste better.. They do require a bit more work however... Try adding a roasted red pepper or two to the mix also! (I do use more garlic as well, but I LOVE GARLIC!)
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

I'll give this a go soon. I want to start making my own hummus so I can avoid the salt content of the pre-made ones. I just need something to run out so I have a spare jar.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Mine never lasts long enough to put in a jar! lol

I followed a recipe in Meals Without Squeals last time, but it has pretty much the same ingredients, although I only used one tin of chickpeas (there was enough for 2 of us to make a meal of it with toast), and I cheat and use lemon juice in a bottle (unwaxed only comes in a bag of 6 here!). I stole an idea for serving it from a hotel that I stayed in that offered it for breakfast (!) : put it in a small bowl, and drizzle some olive oil on top. They served it with warm pitta breads, although we've had it nice with toast fingers, too!

Howdawg, when we move I'll buy some dried chickpeas and try it out! The only problem is that you have to know you'll want it the day before so you can soak them lol

Vegan Traveler

Quote Jamie View Post
    Howdawg, when we move I'll buy some dried chickpeas and try it out! The only problem is that you have to know you'll want it the day before so you can soak them lol
    You mean there's a time you don't want hummus? Typically, when I hummus, I do it in very large batches and eat it over the course of a week or so (and lots of times give some away). You can make smaller batches as well, but I never bother..
    - The Duck

How much is a tin? Also, what type of tahini do you use? When I go to the store, I always see a few different kinds.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

oh yes, I like to have it special occasions, I call them 'fresh home-made hummus eating quarter-hours'

They only do one size of tin that I've seen - it's the normal standard size... sorry I can't help much lol!

I think the tahini I have is either light or regular. But I don't know. I think you could just use less if you had a dark one.

Vegan Traveler

Quote rantipole View Post
    How much is a tin? Also, what type of tahini do you use? When I go to the store, I always see a few different kinds.
    I'm assuming the tin spoken of is about 12-15oz. As for tahini, your best bet is to buy it from a Middle Eastern store. Generally the cheaper imported stuff with cheaper packaging is better... But I would definitely ask someone there what they use!
    - The Duck

I'm pretty sure the dark tahini has a very strong taste. It might be good in other recipes but for hummus, you need something light tasting. Howdawg is right, I get my tahini from the Middle Eastern store and it's loads cheaper than the stuff sold in the supermarket.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I have nothing like a Middle Eastern store near me. However, my health food store has organic imported tahini for sale. I'll check out the different varieties and get the lightest one. I think there is a roasted and a raw. Any thoughts on which one I should use?

Cans in the US are in different sizes, so I'm just wondering how many oz or what have you. I'll assume an average size of 12-15 oz.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

yeah, just two 'average' sized tins - about 400grams each. and i use light tahini. good luck! tri

Default a better hummus recipe?

There are tons of hummus recipes out there, and I have one that works for me, but it doesn't taste like store or restaurant hummus (which I really like). Does anyone know what the difference is? More tahini? More salt? I want to continue making my hummus on the cheap, but also on the tasty. Do you have a recipe that tastes like store-bought?

Default Re: a better hummus recipe?

Hi Squirrel - great subject, but perhaps it should have gone in one of the food areas.. Anyway..
    I asked myself the same question a while back and decided that they just add more salt. Unless of course you are comparing your home made with a bought one that has additives (e.g. MSG) in it - then anything's possible !
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

I agree with cumin, in fact I made some tonight. Lots of salt improved it no end.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

i'd say add more spices, some garlic, and lemon juice. you can also add other stuff depending on what you like (such as sun-dried tomatoes, etc.). to me, spices are what make foods flavorful.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote Cumin View Post
    Hi Squirrel - great subject, but perhaps it should have gone in one of the food areas..
    Quite right, but I can't post there yet. I never thought about MSG...do they list that as an ingredient then?

I think the commercial versions often have a lot of oil, plus they usually seem to be very smooth - these are both effects you could achieve at home, particularly (regarding the "smooth" bit) if you have a blender or food processor.

However, you might find you get to prefer your own home-made hummus if you give yourself time to get used to it. Cumin (coincidentally) is a good herb to add, if you like it. Also I prefer it if the garlic is lightly roasted rather than raw.

I don't think I've come across hummus with MSG in it.

Lo-salt might be an option if you like it salty but are trying to keep a check on your sodium intake.

I'm gonna make some tonight, actually

Quote harpy View Post
    However, you might find you get to prefer your own home-made hummus if you give yourself time to get used to it. Cumin (coincidentally) is a good herb to add, if you like it. Also I prefer it if the garlic is lightly roasted rather than raw.
    I agree. I usually add loads of Cumin to mine, plus some paprika.
    I've seen it served commercially with lots of paprika and olive oil over the top which can add to the appearance (and taste) when you actually eat it.
    Last edited by Cumin; Jan 10th, 2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Sorry, I meant spice, not herb, didn't I Cumin?

I agree about the paprika - that looks so appetising. A little chopped flat-leaved parsley on top looks nice too.

When I make hummus I usually use less oil than the recipes say to try and keep the calories down a bit. You can add some of the cooking water from the chickpeas instead of some of the oil. I think it may not keep so well with less oil but that's not usually an issue is it?

I had a brilliant hummus the other day, and asked the waiter whytheir hummus was more hummusy than mine...

He said:
    They use no oil (surprise)
    The cook the chick peas for two hours (change the water once)
    They use tahini, but not much, and only tahini from Lebanon, not from Turkey
    A little (in most cases, fresh) lemon
    He also claimed that they used no spices (except when serving it), but I'm not sure if I can trust him on that one...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

do people usually shell their chickpeas? I've only tried making it once without, and it was pretty lumpy and unappetising. I don't mind sitting down with a tray, and a bowl of chickpeas and a another empty bowl, watching tv or something while shelling the mound of chickpeas. Only problem is the time it takes - stops hummus from being a last-minute option! I haven't tried cooking the chickpeas but I've only made it from canned, which I believe is already cooked. If I can find somewhere to buy bulk dried goods here in Brisbane I will be able to try it from soaked (and I suppose I should cook it then?).

By "shell" do you mean remove the skins of the individual chickpeas? No, it hadn't occurred to me to do that!

Vegan Traveler

Jamie, why are you 'shelling' your chickpeas?
    - The Duck

I believe it's to make the hummus smooth. But personally, I believe it's not suppose to be smooth.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I believe it's to make the hummus smooth. But personally, I believe it's not suppose to be smooth.
    No, me neither Tigerlily, I prefer a more 'rustic' texture to my hummus!!

Vegan Traveler

hmm I've never heard of that!! I definitely like my hummus chunky
    - The Duck

really?! I thought smooth was the norm! I definately prefer it smooth - that's just lovely. Have you guys ever tried it smooth?

Quote harpy View Post
    . A little chopped flat-leaved parsley on top looks nice too.

i like to puts lots of parsley in the hummus when i'm whizzing it up to make 'green' hummus - its bursting with green goodness too!

Vegan Traveler

Quote Jamie View Post
    really?! I thought smooth was the norm! I definately prefer it smooth - that's just lovely. Have you guys ever tried it smooth?
    Yes and I've made it pretty smooth without shelling it... Just process it longer... I still prefer it chunky
    - The Duck

Has anyone ever frozen hummus and used it again later? Would it come out okay after defrosting do you think?

Not tried it by I see no reason why not. At worse it would probably need a stir after defrosting.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote =Sarah= View Post
    Has anyone ever frozen hummus and used it again later? Would it come out okay after defrosting do you think?
    Posted on page 1 about using frozen beans - thought it might help.

Quote moonshadow View Post
    we cooked a lot of garbanzo beans the other week. we made half into hummus and froze the other half.

a few days ago we put the frozen beans in the fridge. then forgot that we'd done so. so, i decided that to be safe, we should reboil the beans.

when we made hummus from the rehydrated, frozen, thawed, recooked beans, it was really smooth!

i'm sure it was far far less nutritious than it would have been if we hadn't felt the need to reboil the beans, but it was nice.

Quote =Sarah= View Post
    FYI: I haven't frozen the Hummus but I regularly freeze the cooked Chick-peas. This is because I soak and cook up a huge panful of them, then bag up portions for making into Hummus later. I prefer to do it in large batches as I think the smell of cooking chick-peas is pretty revolting (like hot wet dog) .
    They needs 24hrs to defrost in the freezer but then they seem identical for the hummus.

My first post

I got this recipe from the only vegan restaurant in my country (Denmark). I have tried a lot of different recipes and this is the best I have ever tasted.

Wash the dry chickpeas. Let them soak in water for at least 24 hours. Change the water once.
    Wash the chickpeas.
    Boil the chickpeas for 2-3 hours. Change the water once.
    Wash the chickpeas.
    Let the chickpeas cool off completely (very important - the process of cooling off makes the hummus smooth).
    Add water and oil (1/2 cup of water=1/2 cup of oil). Do not use olive oil.
    Add lemon juice, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.
    Blend.

A lot of work, but worth it. Enjoy.

Why not olive oil? What sort of oil do you use? I've always used oo and it works well.