1 T. flour

1 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. garlic granules

OPTIONAL: 4 tsp. calcium carbonate powder

2 T. water

OPTIONAL: 1 T. canola oil

(my addition - 1/4 tsp. turmeric)

Place all ingredients, except the 2 T. water and additional oil, in a blender/processor and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until it starts to thicken, then let it bubble for 30 seconds. Whisk vigorously.

Or pour the mixture into a microwave-proof bowl; cover and cook on high for 2 minutes. Whisk, then microwave for 2 more minutes, and whisk again.

Whisk in the water and optional oil. The oil adds richness and helps it melt better, but the cheese still only contains 2.6 g. of fat per 1/4 cup.

Drizzle immediately over pizza or other food, and broil or bake until a skin forms on top. Alternatively, refrigerate in a small, covered plastic container for up to a week. It will become quite firm when chilled but will still remain spreadable. You can spread the firm cheese on bread or quesadillas for grilling, or heat it to spread more thinly on casseroles, etc.

Variations

Melty Jack Cheese: Omit the oil and add 1 T. tahini to the blender mixture

Melty Suisse Cheese: Omit the oil and use only 1/4 tsp. salt. Add 1 T. tahini and 1 T. light soy or chick-pea miso to the blended mixture

Melty Cheddar Cheese: Use 1/3 c. nutritional yeast flakes and add 1/4 tsp each sweet Hungarian paprika and mustard powder. Use only 1/4 tsp. salt and add 1 T. light soy of chick-pea miso to the blended mixture

Smoky Cheese: To the basic recipe or any of the above variations, add 1/8 tsp. liquid smoke

Cheese Sauce, Rarebit, or Fondue: Add 1 cup to 1 1/4 cup non-diary milk, dry white wine, or beer (can be non-alcoholic) to any of the cheese variations. (Try using the Suisse for fondue and the Cheddar for Rarebit). You may add a pinch of nutmeg and white pepper. Add salt to taste.

Nacho Sauce: You can add drained, canned black beans, chopped jalapenos or other chiles, chopped olives, a pinch of cumin, etc., using Jack or Cheddar as a base.

mmm thanx artichoke
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Thanx Artichoke!

What's the calcium carbonate powder for?
    And where would one get it? i.e., next to what common things would it be located in the supermarket?
    No Gods, No Masters.

I don't know where you would find this, Mysh. Probably the supplement aisle? I guess it's just for calcium.

Is it bakeing soda which is used to make cakes rise?

Baking soda and/or baking powder, I believe.

OK. That I have. That would also explain why I couldn't find it anywhere - looking for the wrong thing...
    No Gods, No Masters.

tails4wagging

What is liquid smoke and where in the UK can you get it?.

You know, I haven't ever looked for the stuff. I know CC on here has used it before. Maybe she will know.

Warning: This thickens up really quickly!
    I made this last night for a pizza... not so impressive. I may have messed up, though. It certainly didn't "drizzle" on the pizza - more like "splodge"?
    It also doesn't act anything like cheese - I put tons of stuff on my pizza, and cheese would hold it one, so things don't constantly fall off. This stuff doesn't do that - it falls right off with the other toppings.
    I still have some left over, and will try it on tortillas, but I'm not all too optimistic.
    No Gods, No Masters.

I made this last night and spread it on ezekiel sprouted grain bread and then baked it in the oven for a few minutes. It looked vile, turned poop brown but tasted pretty good. Like a melted cheese sandwich. I went out and bought the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook this weekend. I can't wait to make the vegan cottage cheese.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed, Mysh. I like the melty pizza cheese every once and a while.

I'm thinking maybe I should invest in the Uncheese Cookbook. And I haven't tried this recipe on mexican stuff yet, and I think it would be pretty good there.
    No Gods, No Masters.

nutritional yeast

I can't get them where I live and I have no idea what they taste or look like.
    So my question is :

COULD I USE "REGULAR" YEAST INSTEAD OF NUTRITIONAL YEAST?

Maybe someone could give me the taste of it in words

Thanks
    I like Eminem - Encore

No, do not use yeast instead of nutritional yeast; they are not similar at all!

Quote Artichoke47
    No, do not use yeast instead of nutritional yeast; they are not similar at all!
    I'm in deep one then
    I like Eminem - Encore

I don't have a microwave... is there any way to do this without one?
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

it doesnt say to use a microwave, in the beginning it says to use a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. OR a microwave.

artichoke, what were your results with this? did is just splodge on as mysh said for u? what was the consistency for u? i did this today, and its very delicious (i added liquid smoke) but it was far too runny for pizza i thought, so i thickened it up with flour. but it definately didnt splodge onto the pizza.

Default Re: Melty Pizza Cheese!

Quote basteq
    nutritional yeast

I can't get them where I live and I have no idea what they taste or look like.
    So my question is :

COULD I USE "REGULAR" YEAST INSTEAD OF NUTRITIONAL YEAST?

Maybe someone could give me the taste of it in words

Thanks
    DO NOT DO THIS. Apparently regular/active yeast continues to grow in your stomach -- not good stuff.

You should be able to get nutritional yeast in a health food store.

Quote Trendygirl
    Is it bakeing soda which is used to make cakes rise?
    Baking powder makes cakes rise since it is made of corn/potato starch (just like the Orgran/EnerG/Allergycare egg replacer products).

I forgot what to do with baking soda though, besides using it as a pantry/fridge deodoriser. Sorry.

Quote TheBluePenguin
    Apparently regular/active yeast continues to grow in your stomach -- not good stuff.
    When I was a kid, my mom taught me that regular yeast contains a lot of B-vitamins and "purifies blood" (don`t know how), and that it can be eaten as it is. I learned to like it and I still eat it (small bits at a time, too much gives me slight heartburn) while my mom happens to buy it (I`ve eaten nutritional yeast as well, it really tastes much more cheesy.). I know some people get sick if they do so but as far as I know, there`s nothing dangerous/bad otherwise. (Just my two cents.)

VeganJohn

Just found this thread, great stuff!! I've been after some decent melting cheese for pizzas for some time now. Redwood's melting mozarella just doesn't have much taste imo.

PainterLady

Question Re: Melty Pizza Cheese!

Quote VeganJohn View Post
    Just found this thread, great stuff!! I've been after some decent melting cheese for pizzas for some time now. Redwood's melting mozarella just doesn't have much taste imo.
    Have you tried vegan gourmet?

Quote feline01 View Post
    I made this last night and spread it on ezekiel sprouted grain bread and then baked it in the oven for a few minutes. It looked vile, turned poop brown but tasted pretty good. Like a melted cheese sandwich. I went out and bought the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook this weekend. I can't wait to make the vegan cottage cheese.
    Did you make anything out of that book yet? Was it good?
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

This thread may be of interest Jamila.

Thanks
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi