Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Vegans and calcium

Default Re: Calcium

I am just going to buy a calcium supplement next time I go to CVS. A couple weeks ago, my knee suddenly popped for no apparent reason as I was kneeling down. I think I might've gotten a torn ligament. So now I am worried that I am calcium deficient.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Deforestation in Argentina? What's that got to do with soymilk? Especially soymilk derived from US non-gmo soy, like 80% of the brands I encounter in the US?
    context is everything

Mahk

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    Deforestation in Argentina? What's that got to do with soymilk? Especially soymilk derived from US non-gmo soy, like 80% of the brands I encounter in the US?
    We should boycott goods from all countries that have massive deforestation, like how about this one, three times the size of Argentina I might add.

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    I can't tell where my Soy comes from in UK unless I go to a shop that offers an eco friendly version. But with soy being in about 70% of foods how will I ever know where that soy comes from.

http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=43353

Quote Sarabi View Post
    I am just going to buy a calcium supplement next time I go to CVS. A couple weeks ago, my knee suddenly popped for no apparent reason as I was kneeling down. I think I might've gotten a torn ligament. So now I am worried that I am calcium deficient.
    I'm no doctor but I very much doubt your knee popping has anything to do with Calcium deficiency. A knee pops due to pressure on the ligaments and cartalige.

I had a girlfriend who it happened to all the time.

If in doubt get some expert advice.

Quote karmafunk View Post
    I'm no doctor but I very much doubt your knee popping has anything to do with Calcium deficiency. A knee pops due to pressure on the ligaments and cartalige.

I had a girlfriend who it happened to all the time.

If in doubt get some expert advice.
    Happened to all the time as in got injured all the time or just popped harmlessly all the time? This wasn't harmless. My knee has been injured for more than two weeks now.

Actually, my knees have always tended to pop as I knelt down, but never harmfully till now.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Dried figs and apricots = lots of calcium
    Also tahini

Quote fiamma View Post
    Dried figs and apricots = lots of calcium
    Also tahini
    That's good news fiamma, I love all of those. Especially making my own Hummus.

Do you know anything else that Tahini is good for?

You can make "sesame seed halva" using tahini. Google recipes. You can add it to most dips too if you make your own dips like hummus.
    Tahini is also nice on toast.
    Chick peas are a good source of calcium.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

RubyDuby

That's good news fiamma, I love all of those. Especially making my own Hummus.

mixed with lemon and olive oil for salad dressing *drools*
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I just added some more info in this thread...
    Tahini, goma sio and sesame seeds
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    mixed with lemon and olive oil for salad dressing *drools*
    Aha, brilliant. Thank you.

I love this website. I've learnt so much already.

I found out where I can get calcium. (I bought a supplement, but it tasted so awful that I'm not going to use it anymore.) A serving of Total cereal has 100% DV Calcium. And you can take your pick among non-soy milks, which might have an additional calcium fortification.

happy

Post Easy calcium?

I had to go for a bone scan for low calcium yesterday,I fear a bad result.It was the same before(since being vegan maybe?).I've added more tofu in the past week or so and soya yoghurts,plus green vegtables-kale,spinach.I think that because I've put quite a lot of leaf in that it has caused gas(as would sea veg. and chickpeas I think) and I dislike tofu.I don't know how to add certain high-calcium foods(are there any others?) in without this effect.Any ideas?
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 18th, 2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

RubyDuby

Default Re: Easy calcium?

almonds? almond butter and almond milk too.
    or maybe just take a supplement along with vitamin D.

I hope it goes well!
    I'm sure your doctor will have better suggestions for you!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

So Good soya milk has 20% more calcium than cow's milk (or so they claim).
    It has a vanilla taste that isn't too bad - the only soya milk I drink on it's own. Makes awesome hot chocolate too!

We take a calcium/magnesium/D2 tablet, just to make sure we're getting enough. Magnesium and D2 are both important alongside calcium.

The non-organic Alpro yoghurts and desserts are high in calcium.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I read that phytic acid [aka inositol hexaphosphate] can bind with minerals like calcium, and prevent the body from absorbing them. Unfortunately leafy greens and non sprouted nuts and pulses contain phytic acid.
    Cooking can destroy phytic acid, and although this also destroys vitamins... it will not destroy the minerals.
    I read that calcium citrate was non soluble aswell but I never managed to research that proberly.
    Zinc citrate is nicely soluble though.

Anyhow, since you asked for "easy" calcium, I will say "molasses" , at 500mg per 100grammes [along with bounteous amounts of iron, and some zinc and iodine too].

Some people recoil from the amount of sugar involved [64 percent], but a medium apple [150 grammes] will give you 15 grammes of sugar [and little else of nutritional value].... so go figure.

If concerned about phytic acid in molasses, then dilute with boiled water in a flask.... which will expose it to temperatures around 90 centigrade degrees for a number of hours.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Quote whalespace View Post
    a medium apple [150 grammes] will give you 15 grammes of sugar [and little else of nutritional value]
    I was under the impression that apples were a decent source of calcium? Also boron...

Other sources include broccoli, figs and tahini

spinach.
    hovis best of both bread is fortified.....about 6 slices is your RDA calcium
    also ready brek

I agree with Pob that it's a good idea to think about vitamin D as well. You need it to absorb calcium, and a lot of people are short of vitamin D (not just vegans I think)

There's a bit about it here.

http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyl...n/calcium.aspx

I take those Veg1 tablets now and then, they are quite cheap and vitamin D is one of the things they include.

Vitamin D is very important. If you aren't absorbing calcium well, and are consequently ingesting excessive amounts... then that extra calcium might interfere with the absorption of magnesium [which has a similar electronic arrangement, but is less reactive than calcium].

Quote fiamma View Post
    I was under the impression that apples were a decent source of calcium? Also boron...

Other sources include broccoli, figs and tahini
    I did a few look ups and found some research results for apples :

Calcium concentration was highest in young fruits and was found to decrease with the growth of fruit, and was characterized by a dramatic drop at the rapid expansion stage. There was a significant difference among cultivars. Young Starkrimson fruits contained the highest calcium concentration of 506.52 mg kg−1 .

That is 506 milligrammes calcium for each killogramme of young apples [ which could easily be the size of large peas].

This puts a 150 gramme apple at 75.9 milligrammes calcium, which would certainly be useful, if 'it' did not appear as a cup full of extra hard oak apples which sucked the water out of the mouth etc..

Scanning an abstract about "Cox's Orange" apples... I see that their 'control' fruits contained 53 mg calcium per kilo of fruit, which puts the handy apple [150g] at 8mg of calcium total.

Therefore, in practical terms, the sugar to calcium ratio of apples is 533mg sugar for every single milligramme of calcium.
    Sugar to calcium ratio of molasses is 128mg sugar for each milligramme calcium [four times less than apples].

Sugar isn't necessarily an issue, and the bulk of apples is good water, but there is the idea.
    Bear in mind that the calcium might be in the apple pips, since scientists tend to liquidise, or burn the entire fruit when they are figuring these things out.

I'd swap apples for carrots [for water].
    Last edited by whalespace; Mar 13th, 2010 at 08:06 AM.

Regardless of the vitamins and minerals in them I think apples are probably a good thing to include in your diet - they have a low GI as explained here

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1862.asp...CategoryID=164

and they (and raw carrots) give us something to chew which may be good for the jaws - most of us tend to eat rather a lot of soft, squishy foods these days

Happy, here in Canada, soy yogurts are made with unfortified soy milk. Therefore the calcium content is low (compared to fortified soy milk) and there isn't any Vitamin D or B12 added. I am not sure about the UK, but I just thought I should mention it.

Currently, my favourite and most yummiest way of getting calcium is by drinking (fortified) chocolate soy milk.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

happy

Thanks everyone,I'd forgotten and didn't know of some.Whalespace,are you still saying that apples are a goods source? I do like Cox's apples

No. I'm still saying that I wouldn't consider eating apples if I was deficient in calcium, because I am aware that there is only so much food I can eat in a day, and I would consider apples a waste of space and appetite.

Apples are great for other things.

Sesame seeds have a lot of calcium, so whole (dark) tahini is a very good source. I used to add a little calcium carbonate (ground chalk, available from chemists) to the flour when I made bread, but stopped because there seems to be enough in soya milk, etc. anyway.

I agree with what others have said about vitamin D. In Manchester it may be difficult to get enough from sunlight on your skin and you should make sure you have a good dietary source or you won't be able to absorb the calcium, however much you eat.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Molasses is definitely very rich in calcium. It's the very dark molasses called "black strap" here in the states that has the most calcium, ~170 mg per tablespoon. I'm not sure what they call it in the UK, I think it's "black treacle" but who knows. Just look at the label and see what it says about calcium in black treacle. Or maybe you can find some that says "black strap."

But, I agree with the vitamin D supplement also. Really, it isn't so hard to get enough calcium with all the fortified foods available. So, when someone is eating lots of vegetables and calcium rich foods and still has low calcium, it seems like it would be an absorption issue.
    Veganism is the application of the abolitionist principle to the life of the individual. It is not an option; it is essential. — Gary Francione

Default Re: Vegans and calcium

poppy seeds and Kale are another good source

I am a strict Vegan and had many such questions which used to cause some anxiety as to whether my diet was giving me everything I needed.

I was told about a Vegan suppliment called Moringa Leaf powder I initially had problems getting hold of it but found this Non-profit organisation selling it online

www.moringamutual.org

It has helped me a great deal tons of calcium, iron, protien and vitamins

Apologies if this is a silly question, but if I'm going to drink a glass of soya milk, or calcium enriched orange juice do I need to eat food with it to aid the absorption of the calcium??? Also, does adding soya milk to your tea contribute calcium to your diet or does the fact its been in hot tea negate it? Like I said - apologies if this is a really dumb question but its something I've been pondering!

The Wikipedia entry says (twice) that it's better to take calcium supplements with food, but I'm not sure if it gives a reference for that point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium

I saw a few other pages about it when I searched on "calcium absorption food". If you type "calcium absorption tea" you'll see a few suggestions that the oxalates in the tea may interfere with absorption, not sure if the heat is important though.

Perhaps you'll get a reply from someone who actually knows the answer now

Quote harpy View Post
    The Wikipedia entry says (twice) that it's better to take calcium supplements with food, but I'm not sure if it gives a reference for that point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium

I saw a few other pages about it when I searched on "calcium absorption food". If you type "calcium absorption tea" you'll see a few suggestions that the oxalates in the tea may interfere with absorption, not sure if the heat is important though.

Perhaps you'll get a reply from someone who actually knows the answer now
    Thanks for this Harpy ! I go through periods of not worrying at all about what I eat then periods of getting stressed as to whether I'm getting enough of everything !!! Off to have a look at the link - thanks again!
    CurrantCottage

I know, you can get worried if you start thinking about it can't you? I think the chances are we're doing fine as long as we eat a good variety of foods.

Personally I eat a lot of healthy stuff and a lot of cr@p as well so I reckon I must be getting a balanced diet

Quote harpy View Post
    I know, you can get worried if you start thinking about it can't you? I think the chances are we're doing fine as long as we eat a good variety of foods.

Personally I eat a lot of healthy stuff and a lot of cr@p as well so I reckon I must be getting a balanced diet
    I like that I too enjoy a balance of healthy and junk !!!! And I keep reminding myself that even on a more junky day it has to be better than some omni's I know who seem to exist on chips, burgers ...and not a lot else!

powerlifer

chia seeds are a very good vegan source of calcium aswell as omega-3 and more.

we will be stocking the organic chia seeds later in the week at the store in my sig.

I will confess that I've never heard of chia seed before - but if they've got calcium in and omega 3 that sounds brilliant! Off to look at your store!

powerlifer

Quote CurrantCottage View Post
    I will confess that I've never heard of chia seed before - but if they've got calcium in and omega 3 that sounds brilliant! Off to look at your store!
    the organic chia seeds will be about another week or so in arriving but they will be best prices and cert organic where most others arent.

chia has 2700mg of omega 3 per 15g serving which is brilliant, its packed with complete protein, 5 times more calcium than milk, about 27g of fibre per 100g. Good food to supplement with if raw, vegan etc.

ill post up when there instock again.

Quote powerlifer View Post
    the organic chia seeds will be about another week or so in arriving but they will be best prices and cert organic where most others arent.

chia has 2700mg of omega 3 per 15g serving which is brilliant, its packed with complete protein, 5 times more calcium than milk, about 27g of fibre per 100g. Good food to supplement with if raw, vegan etc.

ill post up when there instock again.
    OK so I'm being really dense and cannot find the link to your store - sorry!!! Can't you post the link or pm it to me if posting it isn't allowed. Many thanks! CurrantCottage