Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Junk food

Default Junk food

Hi all, I'm new here. I've only been a vegan for a month after years as a veggie. I like to cook all my food from fresh anyway but thought as a very busy 3rd year science student that I'd hop off to Asda and stock up with vegan food and quick snacks to get me through the exam season and avoid my usual hour or so in the evening cooking.
    Went to Asda and blow me - what convenience food?
    Absolutely everything has either milk or milk protein in it!!!!!!!!! Packet soup, CRISPS, tinned food, quorn. I came out of there with 3 items none of which I liked.
    Why the hell do they put milk in everything? I love crisps but they are well out now. What are all these milk proteins doing to our bodies? I must have been ingesting tons of the stuff as a veggie without realising.
    So it's back to cooking everything from fresh which is great but not every single night!
    Went to the local healthfood shop to pick up some Cauldron foods pate and that had milk in too! I could only find one (olive, which I don't like) which was vegan. I can't believe it.
    Luckily I have ordered the vegan shopper which should be here by the end of the week but if you don't have much time to shop and cook (which luckily I do) it must be really tough being a vegan.

Default Re: What, no junk food?

it's pretty common, you'll get used to it

My math's teacher who used to set us obscene amounts of homework used to tell us there's no such thing as no time. He was wrong, but right in a way. I get home from work on average at about 7pm, yet manage to make fresh bread, fresh pasta etc no problems. It's just something you get used to, last night I made calzone from scratch.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

We have a bread machine.....load before going to bed, press switches, fresh bread for breakfast - bingo
    We went away to a bikers party in Blackpool for a weekend, I starved.

Loads of junk food available, depending on where you shop.

Sainsbury - Greek Hummus Salad flat bread (in the ready sandwiches section)
    Boots do a vegan sandwich, but can't remember what it's called

Most stores: Linda McCartney sausage rolls, Free From chocolate (Almond or crispy), Green and Blacks chocolate (not all flavours are vegan), Samosas (some have milk in), spring rolls, Potato and vegetable pot or lentil and vegetable (looks like pot noodle), sesame snaps, soya nut snacks, crisps (hula hoops, Frisps), McVities Hobnobs

Holland and Barrett do Redwoods fake meats, with ready to eat sausages, Cheezly melting mozarella for pizza

Hope that helps.

Hi, Hemlock!

According to The Vegan Society's Animal Free Shopper, you can have the following Walker's crisps: pickled onion, prawn cocktail, ready salted, roast chicken flavour, salt & vinegar, worcester sauce, plus several of their other snacks - which I don't have time to list right now, but if you are craving crisps, the Walker's are probably easiest to get hold of. An important tip is to still check the ingredients on the pack because sometimes companies change them and you might suddenly find they're no longer vegan.

Also, Kettle chips are very nice and there are several flavours which are suitable for vegans and are marked as such on the back of the pack.

If you need to know anything there are loads of friendly vegans here willing to help and point out links and/or relevant threads etc. Plus you can always click on 'search', above.

Hope you find something to snack on soon!

Quote Lily
    Hi, Hemlock!

According to The Vegan Society's Animal Free Shopper, you can have the following Walker's crisps: pickled onion, prawn cocktail, ready salted, roast chicken flavour, salt & vinegar, worcester sauce, plus several of their other snacks - which I don't have time to list right now, but if you are craving crisps, the Walker's are probably easiest to get hold of. An important tip is to still check the ingredients on the pack because sometimes companies change them and you might suddenly find they're no longer vegan.

Also, Kettle chips are very nice and there are several flavours which are suitable for vegans and are marked as such on the back of the pack.

If you need to know anything there are loads of friendly vegans here willing to help and point out links and/or relevant threads etc. Plus you can always click on 'search', above.

Hope you find something to snack on soon!
    There is a god after all

Convenience food = rubbish

wean yourself before it's too late

Antony weaner

Quote abrennan
    Convenience food = rubbish

wean yourself before it's too late

Antony weaner
    Funny you should say that! I rushed out to buy kettle chips and ate a whole packet before realising I didn't really want crisps any more, so came back and made a vegetable casserole which was a lot nicer.......and then ate some fruit.
    I'm scared..........gonna wake up as an Ent or something in the morning

Yours Treebeard!

Yes......Ent.......in......this..............age.. ..........trees............should...........avoid. ............the .......junk..........among...................food.

Pilaf

Abrennan.......................................... ......................................

you're............................................ .................................................. ...

too............................................... ................................................

hasty............................................. ..................................................

too............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...hasty?

Quote Hemlock
    Went to the local healthfood shop to pick up some Cauldron foods pate and that had milk in too! I could only find one (olive, which I don't like) which was vegan. I can't believe it.
    unfortunately despite being a veggie company, Cauldron aren't very good for vegan products. their marinated tofu chunks are lovely if you can get them though - my local Asda has them - i often eat them straight out of the packet

i don't eat too much convenience food, but sometimes it's nice to be able to buy something you don't have to do much with before you can eat it.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Kumem
    Sainsbury - Greek Hummus Salad flat bread (in the ready sandwiches section)
    ooh, they don't do that in my local Sainsbury's! sounds nice!

Boots do a vegan sandwich, but can't remember what it's called
    they're made by Fresh Organics, but their distribution seems patchy to say the least.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thats soooooooo true about the hidden non-vegan ingrediants in junk food. I'm really new to this and I went to go and gat a pack of pickled onion Monster Munch from the newsagents and read the packet to find they contained LACTOSE!!!! I had no idea that they shoved that stuff into crisps.

Kallo do really nice Hazelnut and Chocolate ricecake bars that are vegan, I've scoffed two this morning...

Yay! I was in Sainsburys but after a quick scan got disheartened... Im going ot check out that Greek delight next lunchtime.

I usually buy loads of veggies, rice, pasta etc. If i cant be bothered to cook then i buy Baxters soup. It says on the front which ones are vegan. Beans on toast is another lazy meal (had that tonight). It can be very annoying that nearly all snacks in the supermarket has some sort of milk in it but you do get used to it. I think supermarkets are getting better now days. It just takes ages to shop when you are looking for new things to eat, so i dont bother. I dont eat crisps now days. I would rather eat dried fruit, seeds, nuts and crackers if i feel like a snack, they are just easier to find and better for you

You're so good with your snacking, my body is still craving monosodium glutamate... I was really suprised to find that plain Pringles actually had Vegan on them. I was suprised that it was aknowledged and recognised and very pleased when I snarfed a load of the little suckers. Yuuuuuuuum! Unsalted Cashew nuts are the best though as they're so sweet. GET IN!

Hey Kumen, Im from the Peterborough area originally,are there any vegan restaurants round there these days? I just ate one of those peppermint frys chocolate cream bars, they are sooooooooooo good. They do orange ones too, thats my kinda junk food.

They do little packets of dried fruit for children's lunchboxes in asda, I love the dried apple! really moreish

Quote Hemlock
    Hi all, I'm new here. I've only been a vegan for a month after years as a veggie. I like to cook all my food from fresh anyway but thought as a very busy 3rd year science student that I'd hop off to Asda and stock up with vegan food and quick snacks to get me through the exam season and avoid my usual hour or so in the evening cooking.
    Went to Asda and blow me - what convenience food?
    I also found that it's not easy to find vegan convenience food in regular supermarkets. Some hfs's do have it, but the choice is limited.

but if you plan your dinner right, it doesn't take that much more time then convience food, imo

One of my favourite convenience/junk foods are Lara Bars. Well they're more healthy than junky but Mmmmmm they are good! It's a pity they're so hard to get hold of around here!

Quote mew_76
    You're so good with your snacking, my body is still craving monosodium glutamate... I was really suprised to find that plain Pringles actually had Vegan on them. I was suprised that it was aknowledged and recognised and very pleased when I snarfed a load of the little suckers. Yuuuuuuuum! Unsalted Cashew nuts are the best though as they're so sweet. GET IN!
    Lol. Not all the time. Chocolate is a fav of mine but i tell myself its ok to eat because of all the healthy stuff i eat in between the chocolate

Sainsbury's Bourbon biscuits are vegan - although you'll feel like having a shower after eating more than one. Bleugh.
    We are saved in the end by the things that ignore us. Andrew Harvey

Quote terrace max
    Sainsbury's Bourbon biscuits are vegan.
    Yeah they are, I found that out last night. I think it's amazing as I'm very into Bourbon biscuits (they are one of my weaknesses ). The best thing about it is that they are less than 50p unlike the Trufree kind that are WAY more exspencive.
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 13th, 2005 at 10:11 PM. Reason: The posts about tofu have been merged with http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3378 thread.
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

Default Junk food

Do vegans really like junk food like biscuits, cakes, chocolate ? is this possible?
    Last edited by Korn; May 31st, 2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Junk food

Yes, definitely, and I eat far too much of all of them.

Why would it not be possible?
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

sugarmouse

Me too if I didnt each junk I wouldnt be as fat lol
    I am vegan for ethics not health

Dont know...I've tried and failed to so much as purchase a pack of biscuits (which obviously contains milk products) or something since.Unless you call pita bread and almond butter junk.
    I like your way sugarmouse , but its hard to seperate the two these days.People always ask me the same old " ethics or health/dietary" question. But if there werent any vegetarian meals or vegatables for that matter , would we eat cardboards.I havent met anyone who turned vegan for health reasons though.

You're all my heroes !

im the same as sugarmouse lol.

of course its possible. lol. today all were eating is junk food cause its steevs birthday! vegan junkfood is fabulous. and yeah, i wouldnt consider pita bread and almond butter junk!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I love, love, love muffins and natural raspberry licorice.

Ah potato chips, sodas, candy, it's all tasty...

It never ceases to amaze me how intelligent vegans eat so much junk food, and vegan mags invariably contain recipes for cakes, biscuits etc. Personally, I prefer to eat food
    Eve

I try not to eat too much junk as I feel much better if I base my diet on naturally occurring foods like fruit, veg, nuts and so on. But I'm glad there is vegan junk food for those desperate moments

What's junk is sometimes debatable, in the case of chocolate for example which seems to be quite good for one in certain respects.

XSveg, if you're looking for something in particular you could tell us what it is and where you are and someone may be able to make a suggestion.

BlackCats

I eat junk food Eve, but maybe I'm not a very intelligent vegan.

I still think I am healthier eating junk food being vegan than I was being vegetarian anyway. I consider dairy products the ultimate "junk" as I think it is harmful.

(Btw I would not consider pitta bread with almond butter junk food at all!)

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

i agree with sugarmouse- vegan for me is about ethics and health is secondary reason. i eat healthier but make sure i always have in my cupboard vegan cherry bakewells, soya choc dessert, biscuits and swedish glace ice cream!
    Last edited by yum; Oct 10th, 2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling

I used to bake a lot and eat chocolate everyday (only a few squares) but i have given that up now due to stomach problems and i find eating a low fat diet helps.

i don't think there's anything wrong with eating 'junk food' in moderation, if you enjoy it. for one thing, it encourages non-vegans to see that we're not all health freaks who only eat salads. each to their own.

RubyDuby

XSveg-- google vegan cake recipe, or vegan biscuit recipe, or vegan cookie recipe... etc

if you're interested in trying out some vegan junk food...
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Eating junky foods regularly has nothing to do with intelligence: it's all about habits.

I broke myself of my habit of eating animals and animal products. There are certainly other habits I'd like to purge myself of, but frankly, eating an irregular ammount of junky vegan treats is not high on my list.
    context is everything

who is 100% healthy all the time? bad food makes me happy!!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote XSveg View Post
    Do vegans really like junk food like biscuits, cakes, chocolate ? is this possible?
    One answer.

No duh.

I don't eat junk that much though due to other reasons!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Everyone likes junk food!

I don't really eat it though, apart from a few squares of dark chocolate (for the health benefits, honest ) but even then I forget to eat it every day! I find it much more fun to snack on fruits and veggies.

sugarmouse

My fave junk foods when I am not dieting ( I am trying to not be such a fat vegan!)
    are,
    Potato chips.. I love those
    Kettle chips
    Sandwiches with vegan sausages or burgers and avocado tomato and a tonne of veganaise!
    Cookies ( you can get vegan ones but I make my own)
    Chocolate, my fave. I love dark chocolate, or vegan chocolate from the health food shops, or dark chocolate coated brazils...
    crmpets with a tonne of vegan spread lol
    Bourbon biscuits
    I love junk food sometimes, its not so bad in moderation Igues

i think im going to marry you sugarmouse, youre are like my soulmate lol. all of your favorite things are mine too!!! what are bourbon biscuits. they sound yummy.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Man I live off junk food. Although I do notice pretty quickly if I don't eat properly inbetween junk meals, I start to feel quite poor.

Where in the world are you, XSveg? We can help you find junk!

sugarmouse

Lol aww you so sweet Foxtee!!!Bourbon biscuits are dead popular here. You have to double chek but I find most of them vegan, theyre dark chocolate flavoured biscuits withchocolate flavoured 'cream' sandwiched in them. I like to dip them in hot chocolate!

Looking at their US website, it doesn't seem like your McDonald's has any vegan alternatives. In Sweden they do (at least it says on their website that it is vegan), and it's called McBean. I don't really like McDonald's, but since they're practically everywhere, you can now get vegan food (even if you can't find a vegan restaurant in town) for a somewhat reasonable sum of money. The burger itself is a typical bean burger, containing at least white beans and kidney beans. It's supposed to be spicy, but I like hot food and I can't really tell anymore. It would've been nicer with a soy burger, but at least it's better than the crap we have at other fast food places (deep-fried patties that taste like mashed potatoes with corn and green peas in them, yuck).

Do any other countries have the McBean, or is it just us?

I never appreciated cakes and cookies until I went vegan because I think dairy makes these things less delicious.

I'm about to make a chocolate pumpkin pie (from Dreena Burton's new cookbook, Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan).

Also, if you're ever in Toronto, find a restaurant selling Sweets from the Earth (an all vegan bakery) carrot cake - it's world changing!

I try to balance off the junky things with fresh juices every day - right now I'm drinking some "punch you in the neck" all green juice and it's making me feel great.

RubyDuby

I've never heard of the McBean, but I havent been in a McD's in years. They definately dont advertise it here...
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Default Getting off junk food help - hypoglycemia

I suffer from anxiety and depression and I 100% know that if I eat whole foods and avoid junk, caffeine, alcohol, etc. then my symptoms miraculously go away and I'm rediculously happy. Problem is I'm under a lot of stress which causes me to reach for junk food and a soda to make me feel better. Works in the short term but within a few days I'm snappy, moody, angry and depressed. Then it takes me 4 days to get it out of my system and I start the whole cycle all over again.

Anyway I went looking for a support group for people trying to get off junk food specifically sugar and they ALL push meat, eggs, milk, etc. as a replacement. I went to one site that had a 7 step program which says you need a bunch of protein for breakfast. Ok so I can do that with smoothies. But onto lunch. They suggest I eat 23 grams of protein. Gotta tell you thats a lot of beans. LOL!! And then 3 hours later I'm hungry (and irritable) again. I did a search here on hypoglycemia and someone said that the issue is pushing thru that 3pm crankiness thing until your body adjusts. Then there are endless books on this subject which most say eat every 3 hours (yeah like I have time for that). And did I mention I GAINED 10 pounds on my last binge cycle and that has to go otherwise my clothes won't fit.

And honestly it makes sense that I SHOULDN'T have to eat every 3 hours to feel good. Right? I mean weren't we as humans designed to just eat 3 square meals a day? With maybe a small snack in there somewhere with an afternoon tea or before bedtime. When did eating turn into an all day affair? And yes I know I'm cranky. LOL!!

Not sure where I'm going here except to say what do you guys know about getting off junk food WITHOUT eating tons of animal protein as a replacement. Sheer willpower? Balanced eating? Suffer thru it? What?

Oh and then these same books say don't eat things like banana's, corn or potatoe's. WTH? Are you kidding me? Animal products are better for me than a pure banana? Since when?

Ok done venting. I'm just looking for some answers preferably in a VEGAN world if you kwim. I appreciate any insight you can give me cause right now I'm frustrated.
    Last edited by Korn; May 31st, 2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread