Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wheat-free & gluten-free

Default Re: Wheat-free & gluten-free

Quote LouiseAbel View Post
    I didn't think beer would have that effect (I don't really like it so haven't tested whether I react to it) - is that also made using the same process? I wonder if good quality, local ales would be alright because I suspect them less of trying to speed up the brewing!
    Not too sure to be honest, all I know is that I do tend to react to beer these days (never used to), and some more so than others.

Clearly I need to test this in more depth, what a chore / how tedious...

Yes, thanks a lot for the link Mymblesdaughter. Interesting read.

PS...

Quote Andrew@The Guardian
    We have bred wheat to produce high yields...
    Boom Boom!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote Gwydion View Post
    Not too sure to be honest, all I know is that I do tend to react to beer these days (never used to), and some more so than others.

Clearly I need to test this in more depth, what a chore / how tedious...

Yes, thanks a lot for the link Mymblesdaughter. Interesting read.

PS...

Boom Boom!
    I avoided gluten for about 6 weeks and it just frustrated me because I'd get mild symptoms and didn't have a clue why - there are just too many options!

I don't think you need to test it if it's mainly under control as it is. I mean, you already know what makes you feel crap (and it's usually common sense in my experience) so if you're not pining after it all the time, just avoid it as much as possible. It's not going to kill you if you have it every now and then when you really fancy a beer or whatever.

so if you're not pining after it all the time.....
    fancy a beer.....
    ^ The problem / contradiction right there ;-)

Jokes aside, yes I know - you speak the truth.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Hi, could anyone here who is wheat-free please suggest a source of recipes (book or website) for an omnivorous friend who has celiac disease but is interested in eating (more) vegan food? Apparently she doesn't get on too well with legumes either, think tofu may be OK.

Hi Harpy, this is a yahoo group specifically set up to share Vegan GF recipes. Many other intolerances are included too. Hope this helps your friend. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vegan-and-Gluten-Free/

When I went vegan, last summer, I dumped the animal products, but started eating more wheat products [which I like better anyway]. I have been waiting for my stomach to adjust to what I thought was a problem due to the increased fiber, but my digestive system has been very upset lately - it's getting embarrassing. My adult daughter mentioned that she is avoiding gluten because it upsets her stomach, so I thought maybe it's hereditary. Anyway, I made a gluten-free bread [lots of weird ingredients] and in about 24 hours I felt much better. I'm going to give it a 2 week trial to see what happens. Has anyone had a similar experience?
    For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” Pythagoras

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

I'm a pretty new vegan, and I also am wheat free because my asthma is so much better when I don't eat wheat. I've been having a lot of fun trying out new recipes. Do you guys have any favorite websites for recipes? I also try to avoid refined sugar.

I am in the process of transition into a gluten free diet, in addition to my veganism. I have rheumatoid arthritis. I have two websites that are go to's right now. One is http://www.fatfreevegan.com . This site has a gluten free section if you scroll down to the tags. The other is http://www.theglutenfreevegan.com/

I hope this gives you a start. There are actually a few good blogs out there if you google vegan and gluten free.

Hopefully, my first post will show with a couple of provided links. I also wanted to suggest Dreena Burton and Isa Moscowitz- they both have some great gluten free eats.