Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheat-free & gluten-free

Default Wheat-free & gluten-free

Just out of curiosity, does anyone eat wheat-free and gluten-free besides me?

I realized that I needed to (and I started right away) last autumn. I need to be free of wheat and gluten because they interfere with the neurons in my brain because I have Asperger's Syndrome. I've learned that anyone on the autistic spectrum should eliminate wheat, gluten, and casein from their diet.

Obviously, I don't need to worry about casein, since it's not vegan, and I don't eat it anyway.
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 3rd, 2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: moved to the wheat free forum

Default Re: Wheat-Free & Gluten-Free

Hi Pisces

There are some wheat free threads here that may be of interest to you. I see that a couple of those threads are very wheaty though, so not sure what they're doing in the wheat free section!

I read that people on the autistic spectrum should avoid wheat, too. Did you notice a difference when you started to eat wheat-free?

Hi, Cherry.

Thanks for the links to the threads.

I did in fact notice a difference when I removed wheat and gluten from my diet--my digestion improved significantly as did another bodily function (but I'll spare you the details ).

Thanks again for the links.

Pisces

No problem

I'm gluten free and wheat free too...so people are even more shocked I'm vegan as well!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    I'm gluten free and wheat free too...so people are even more shocked I'm vegan as well!
    Hi, xwitchymagicx! I'm so excited to know of someone else who's vegan, wheat-free, and gluten-free. We should talk more!

Yeah...we should.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I'm working on going gluten free to see if I'm intolerant. I'm pretty sure I am slightly intolerant and think it may help improve my digestion issues and joint problems. If not, it can't hurt to eat less.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Same here, ellaminnowpea. I feel awful after eating it. It seems ridiculous to be eating something that makes me feel so sick!

yeah, I'm afraid people are really going to freak out that I don't eat what anymore though!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

people freak out a bit when i say "i can't eat that" because i'm allergic to gluten. but when i explain them there's flours on the market that don't contain gluten, they just understand it's a matter of switching flours when it comes to baking cakes. or i start describing them what happens if i eat more than a slice of bread lol.

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    yeah, I'm afraid people are really going to freak out that I don't eat what anymore though!
    I know exactly what you mean! I suppose most people's staple diet is meat, dairy and wheat...so when you've cut all three out they can't understand what's left to eat!!

Quote emmy View Post
    I know exactly what you mean! I suppose most people's staple diet is meat, dairy and wheat...so when you've cut all three out they can't understand what's left to eat!!
    alas, that's what my mother is thinking, the problem is she's also allergic so all she's doing is not eating bread, not eating this, not eating that... when i'm the one visiting healthfood stores just for one item so i can still have pizza if i want one . there's just so many alternatives you just have to google a bit to find suggestions of "replacements".

Quote Aurore View Post
    alas, that's what my mother is thinking, the problem is she's also allergic so all she's doing is not eating bread, not eating this, not eating that... when i'm the one visiting healthfood stores just for one item so i can still have pizza if i want one . there's just so many alternatives you just have to google a bit to find suggestions of "replacements".
    yeh, there's no need to 'go without' if you don't want to.
    i think that's why a lot of people are so shocked that people are actually vegan, like it's some torture regime of self-denial!! but, as we all know, it blatantly isn't!

Quote Pisces View Post
    Hi, xwitchymagicx! I'm so excited to know of someone else who's vegan, wheat-free, and gluten-free. We should talk more!

I'm a newbie to gluten-free diet, i thought that wheat contained gluten so if you're gluten-free then it's same as wheat-free? or am I wrong?

Pretty much, you might want to read this, Daffodil:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/gluten.html

Personally, I'm trying to go gluten/wheat free. I'm attempting to go all the way to ultimate Raw-ness, but am cutting out things step by step I think the lack of foods I can eat is really rubbing people the wrong way nowadays though! Ha!

Quote FatPassionFishPoet View Post
    Pretty much, you might want to read this, Daffodil:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/gluten.html

Thanks v. much....makes sense now

I am a gluten free vegan too. Im new to it but really enjoying my new way of eating. I think many places ie. restaurants, need to start catering for us as we are a growing breed and i hate cooking

found out that it wasn't wheat causing my skin problems - they've cleared up (yippee) so am able to eat wheat again now

i'm sad this subforum is so slow! i've been gluten free for about a year now. it makes things more difficult, especially eating out, but at home it is no problem, especially with all the great substitutes out there - though i try not to rely on them heavily - they are more of a treat! i would say i am 99% gluten free. i sometimes don't worry too much about cross contamination. i am not diagnosed as celiac, just trying to be proactive as i have been found to be sensitive/intolerant to gluten. my sister has as well - she is gf but not vegan. i had a close relative die from colon cancer and i don't want to take any chances i don't need to. besides, sitting around eating bread, pasta and beer just makes me fatter more easily anyhow!

A few weeks ago went gluten-free in solidarity with my husband, who has an intolerance (he is omni, but with veggie leanings, especially when I cook vegan goodies for him). Then, for a week I went back onto gluten. Not sure if it's related, but for the last two weeks my stomach has been really bad - indigestion-type pains and cramps. So have tried cutting out the gluten again, but am still not better. Plus, the last two days I had to eat gluten stuff, as I went out for lunch (can't quite find GF and vegan food yet). Within two hours, I felt exhausted, and today I needed to have a nap. Does this sound normal? Plus, does anyone know a decent vegan/GF bread recipe for a breadmaker, cos so far my attempts have been a bit rubbish, and I need something to spread my peanut butter on!

I don't eat gluten-free and I don't think I have any issues tolerating it. But I enjoy eating gluten-free versions of foods, eating sprouted grain bread, etc. Most people, even vegans and even me, often rely too much on wheat as our main grain source. Breakfast cereals, bread, fake meats/seitan, all the time. I think it's healthier to change it up a bit.

I do notice a difference in my mood and general feeling of "being healthy" when I try to incorporate more gluten-free grains in my diet.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

A lot of people out there are going gluten free. Personally, I did it to lose weight, along with proper exercise.

I just found that Macrobiotic shop have a couple of spelt sietan products that appear to be wheat/gluten free (standard and with tamari): http://www.macrobioticshop.co.uk/pro...d-lines/seitan

Quote Firestorm
    I just found that Macrobiotic shop have a couple of spelt sietan products that appear to be wheat/gluten free (standard and with tamari): http://www.macrobioticshop.co.uk/pro...d-lines/seitan
    Spelt as a grain has gluten in it but its possible that they've removed the gluten.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Wheat-free & gluten-free

Oh bugger! Never mind.

It does make me wonder though, if the starch can be washed away from wheat flour leaving just the protein why can't the same be done to other flours, I know gluten is kind of unique but wouldn't the same process still work?

It can be done I think, there is a recipe in this book for gluten free seitan: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Glu...8043744&sr=1-1

I am not gluten-free (not strictly, anyway), but everything I cook is (my mum has Hashimotos disease, and I like to be able to share my cooking with her). I do notice that when I have the occasional bagel or piece of pizza, I always feel awful afterwards.

I'm gonna have to be gluten-free now, I think. I've been testing it out for a couple of months but haven't been very strict. I think I can get away with small amounts, like the flavouring in a packet of crisps or something, but I had half a pasty yesterday to see whether my symptoms came back and I was up at 3am itching.

I'm starting a vegan food business in the Summer (hopefully) and I'm gutted that this has happened now, because I need to be able to taste the food and perfect the recipes - it's too late to learn a completely new way of cooking and baking. I guess my friends and family are going to have a lot of gluten-y foods forced on them in the next few months, since I need to practise cooking them but can't eat them.

-End of dramatic, depressed tone-

Too bad I live so far away from you. I'd test all your recipes.

I had the whole shabang of tests done for Celiac years ago, including an upper endoscopy and biopsy of my intestinal tract, as I was having all kinds of symptoms at one point and my Mom has a severe gluten intolerance (she gets skin rashes). But all were negative. My problems I believe at that time were all thyroid related and my body being out of whack due to forced surgical menopause which literally took years to adjust to. I had terrible yeast infections and a whole list of other symptoms. But now I keep getting hand swelling and joint pain in my fingers, swollen sore throat, and diarrhea that happens randomly and its frightening but only lasts for a few hours. I cant seem to trace it to any one food or other chemical. At one point I thought it was from nuts but I drink almond milk often with no problem so there goes that theory. I'm just scared my throat will close altogether one of these days.
    I do naturally eat gluten free a lot as a vegan and I love to experiment with gluten free grains (buckwheat groats, millet, quinoa, etc and even almond meal) and dishes for my Mom. She turned vegan a few months ago and is also gluten free. I made my first attempt at gluten free vegan yeast bread a month ago using millet flour, sorghum flour, and potato starch. It did actually rise a little and tasted decent but was extremely heavy. GF baking is definitely a challenge!

You can be intolerant to other things than gluten as well, this is what happened to me, and it's not fun ! Anyway, i can eat wheat and oat, but the other two culprits nope, and damn but people love to add barley malt everywhere (i can't digest malt either). It's used to make things more tastey, or more flavourful, which rubs me the wrong way. Since my intestines are in better shape but not quite there yet, i have a tendency to bloat, so i do limit my consumption of gluten, currently i eat small oat flakes either in a homemade muesli for breakfast or added in my cereal steaks, and wholewheat bread sometimes because i'm french, i have to eat bread !
    Anyway the trick to baking is adding more liquid stuff in the recipe, and use a blend of flours, i suggest reading Vegan cookies invade your cookie jar from Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero, they have come up with a blend that is actually good. Adding flaxseeds you just mixed to powder before also helps holding everything together.
    I have also tried Dr Schar's flour mix B and C (B is for bread or pizzas, salty stuff and C for baking). The brand is overall good and both blends work well, but they're hard to find and expensive.

i am gluten free and vegan as well ^_^ and i have found that the pros weigh out the cons
    live in unconditional love and joy, share in compassion with others and the world around you, inspire your peers to reach their goals

I am a gluten free vegan and it is quite easy really when you get into the swing of it.....

Has anyone tried using Orgran's 'Gluten Free Gluten'?

Quote Lentils View Post
    Has anyone tried using Orgran's 'Gluten Free Gluten'?
    You mean this: http://www.orgran.com/products/172/. I haven't but it sounds interesting. You might be able to make gluten-free seitan with it?
    Houmous atá ann!

yup, i'm gluten free because i have (biopsy confirmed) celiac. it is only a problem if i have to rely on other people to feed me. i eat veggies, fruit, beans, tofu & tempeh, and gluten free grains, sometimes brown rice pasta or gluten free bread. i like hummus a lot.

I've posted about Macrobiotic shop in this thread before, but they have got some gluten free stuff in at the moment that looks great - Waffles, chocolate cake, chocolate spread

Quote Firestorm
    I've posted about Macrobiotic shop in this thread before, but they have got some gluten free stuff in at the moment that looks great - Waffles, chocolate cake, chocolate spread
    Are you celiac or just gf-curious? :P
    Houmous atá ann!

GF Curious, I have heard that a gluten free diet can be beneficial for diabetics

Quote Firestorm
    GF Curious, I have heard that a gluten free diet can be beneficial for diabetics
    Fair enough, let us know how it goes
    Houmous atá ann!

Will do, although I think my love affair with seitan isn't going to help. I am aiming to try and have either 1 meal a day gluten free, or a few days a week

Does anybody else react badly to only processed wheat products, not ALL wheat products? I feel like I'm sensitive to something else in that crap quality supermarket bread or ready-made pastry, but when I bake my own bread or cook using basic flour, I'm perfectly fine.

Firestorm, what do you use seitan in? I have a packet of it in the freezer but don't have any interesting recipes to make with it.

I have a bread making book and the guy who wrote it thinks that the reason so many people are getting allergies to wheat is because of the breadmaking process. Most of the bread in this country is made using the chorleywood process and isn't allowed to rise slowly. I can't remember all the details as I read it a couple of years ago but I'll dig it out and re read it. It made a lot of sense.

Ah, that's interesting. I thought it was some sort of preservative. It's definitely pastry as well, though, not just bread. For me, anyway. Thanks for the info!

Quote LouiseAbel View Post
    Firestorm, what do you use seitan in? I have a packet of it in the freezer but don't have any interesting recipes to make with it.
    I use it in sandwiches, stews, with mash or with pasta. but I only use my own - cant stand the shop bought stuff

Quote Mymblesdaughter View Post
    I have a bread making book and the guy who wrote it thinks that the reason so many people are getting allergies to wheat is because of the breadmaking process. Most of the bread in this country is made using the chorleywood process and isn't allowed to rise slowly. I can't remember all the details as I read it a couple of years ago but I'll dig it out and re read it. It made a lot of sense.

Yep, I've read about this, too. If I remember rightly, it's to do with the fermentation process in bread allowed to rise normally which renders the bread safer for people with a gluten intolerance. Baking with spelt flour also seems to help some people.

However, it seems that there is not much scientific evidence to say that the CP actually makes people gluten-intolerant - it might be to do with the general rise in severe allergies and intolerances in Western populations we have seen in recent years. However, I'm prepared to stand corrected!

In the end, food should make us feel better, not worse, a fact completely lost on large corporations. Mercifully, vegans are particularly good at questioning industrial food processes, I find.

Quote LouiseAbel View Post
    Does anybody else react badly to only processed wheat products, not ALL wheat products? I feel like I'm sensitive to something else in that crap quality supermarket bread or ready-made pastry, but when I bake my own bread or cook using basic flour, I'm perfectly fine.
    Yes!

I also assumed it was a preservative or somesuch, but a foodie type has previously mentioned the modern day 'process' (or lack thereof) that is probably to blame.

Dunno. I try avoid the gluten more than partake these days, but sometimes suffer a bit for a sandwich (/convenience cookie or cake) or beer. Can't. give. up. the. beer.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Here is an article by the guy I mentioned he's called Andrew Whitley. He does mention additives as well. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...7/comment.food

Quote Gwydion View Post
    Yes!

I also assumed it was a preservative or somesuch, but a foodie type has previously mentioned the modern day 'process' (or lack thereof) that is probably to blame.

Dunno. I try avoid the gluten more than partake these days, but sometimes suffer a bit for a sandwich (/convenience cookie or cake) or beer. Can't. give. up. the. beer.
    Same. Yesterday I just wanted convenience food so I went and bought noodles and definitely noticed it on my skin during the night. I didn't think beer would have that effect (I don't really like it so haven't tested whether I react to it) - is that also made using the same process? I wonder if good quality, local ales would be alright because I suspect them less of trying to speed up the brewing!

We should just bake some bread, ready-slice it and keep it in the freezer for those desperate sandwich times.

Thanks, Mymblesdaughter.