Thread: In the process of transitioning

Smile In the process of transitioning

Going vegan for a month is one of my 2007 resolutions, and about four days ago I decide I might as well begin. Or start to begin, as the case may be. I've had veganism on my mind since I picked up a brochure on factory farming two Thanksgivings ago, but I lived in a dorm and ate at the dining hall. It's easy to be convinced by those photographs, I think, and more people would be vegan if they thought they could pull it off in an omnivorist (word? like heterosexist?) society, and without missing old favorites.

Those are my fears, that I won't be able to pull it off. But I do very much want to, because I AM convinced that factory farming is wrong. I WOULD like this to be a lifelong change. I'm here at this board to help make my month trial successful, so that I will want to continue at the end of it.

I'm still cleaning out the fridge and cabinets, but I'm trying vegan meals and I'm visiting a nutritionist in four days. I think this will be an intersting month, and I'm excited. Good luck to me.

Default Re: In the process of transitioning

It's easy peasy, Squirrel. All you have to do is eat plenty of fruit and veges, plus some nuts, grains etc. No need to make special vegan meals - and I hope your nutritionist is a vegan, or she/he will be suggesting to keep on with the dairy!

Good luck.
    Eve

hello and good luck squirrel!

just take one day at a time if you need to and if you slip up either intentionally or by mistake, start afresh tomorrow. once you get in the swing of it, you'll be fine!!

Welcome!

Good luck with your resolution. If you find yourself wavering it's a good idea to carry on reading up about the meat and dairy industries - the more you learn the more disturbing it gets and the less likely you are to want to go back.

If you need any help "veganising" old favourites just give us a heads up, we'll be happy to help!

good luck! my advice is to cook cook cook as much as possible (unless of course you hate cooking...in which case...well...nevermind). it's really easy to stick with something when you're making lots of interesting dishes as opposed to trying to find premade foods at the grocery store attempting to get restaurants to accomodate you (which is inevitable, but frustrating no matter how long you've been vegan). and i'm sure everyone here already goes to this website, but it is the BEST! www.vegweb.com they have great yummy vegan recipes that are so easy. good luck!!!!

Quote eve View Post
    It's easy peasy, Squirrel. All you have to do is eat plenty of fruit and veges, plus some nuts, grains etc. No need to make special vegan meals - and I hope your nutritionist is a vegan, or she/he will be suggesting to keep on with the dairy!

Good luck.
    Yep, it really is easy peasy Welcome!

Quote twinkle View Post
    If you find yourself wavering it's a good idea to carry on reading up about the meat and dairy industries - the more you learn the more disturbing it gets and the less likely you are to want to go back.
    You're right, I just watched "Meet Your Meat" (which of course everyone mentions) for the first time. It was odd to contrast my reaction with that of my brother, who said "That's life."

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all.

It amazes me that some people can have a "That's life" reaction when they're shown such cruelty. It actually makes me angry... but I have to live with the fact that most people think like that unfortunately (even some of my family member and friends)... at least as long as it is legal and commonly accepted to treat animals in such a way.

Good luck with your new vegan lifestyle BTW. Looks like you're doing your home work by even consulting a nutritionist. GREAT!
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Good luck Squirrel. welcome to the forum.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Hello, Squirrel, welcome! I hope you find your month trial easy and enjoyable (I'm sure you'll be fine!) and that you stay here forever and ever and......
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

good luck squirrel, i am starting as well but its a bit easier for me i think, having been a veggie for 15 years...
    stick with it

Hi Squirrel!
    Welcome to the Forum!
    I went Vegan 12 years ago and found it difficult. I say that in case you get disheartened and give up because you "stray" every now and then. I didn't cook the right stuff, got tired, yearned for foods I knew were cruel. I did stick to it though, except for eating dairy in 2003 for 3 months because I was suffering alarming weight loss. It worked but I found another way to deal with it when it happened again.

For me the weight loss was due to not eating enough Omega 3 oil and "heavy" foods (complex carbs, thick daals). I now add a tablespoon to tasty casseroles/thick soups, or vegan kedgeree (kitri). Also make salad dressings with it.

Indian cooking is a fantastic way to get the nutrition. Visit www.jaydave.com. Jay demos recipes that take only 20 minutes to make, are really easy, vegan and Indian. You can also download them and print them off. With 5 key spices - mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing (asfoetida), Corainder/cumin powder, turmeric - and hulled pulses - red lentils, mung daal, urad daal - you can rustle up a very nutritious meal in minutes. I feel so well eating this food. He will answer any queries you want to e-mail him and offer helpful advice.

It might be easier going vegan now than when I started, but never get disheartened or beat yourself up if you slip up. It's a road for life, so go easy on yourself and keep reading the literature to re-inspire you!

With metta dear fellow vegan

Quote GreenSpecs View Post

It might be easier going vegan now than when I started, but never get disheartened or beat yourself up if you slip up. It's a road for life, so go easy on yourself and keep reading the literature to re-inspire you!
    I agree, I've been 'mostly' vegan for a year now. I was lacto/ovo veg for 16 years before that. I've had ups and downs, slip ups, (some bad ones -cheese, some unavoidable) still have my old leather shoes and don't refuse to eat something that a friend has made specially. Over the year however, I've managed gently to let my friends know what is and what isn't vegan and they are (usually) very interested and supportive and things get better all the time. If a situation arises where I'm not eating the same as everyone else and I am asked why not, I tell people that I am a strict vegetarian. Then of course the inevitable 'oh you eat fish/cheese/eggs etc' then I explain further and they say 'oh you're vegan then?' I always say no because of the slip ups and leather etc. and that I just do my best. I don't want to be like 'vegetarians' who eat fish/chicken etc. therefore I don't ever say that I am vegan.
    Reading lots of books and also the mails here have helped me a lot. Thanks all.
    I certainly won't ever go back to being a lacto/ovo veg. anymore than I could have gone back to being an omni, it's a matter of conscience I suppose. Better late than never in my case!