Thread: Pus in milk?

Default Pus in milk?

Can someone help me regarding the issue of pus cells in milk. I've heard about this a lot and would like to know where the information comes from? If this were common knowledge I know of many people (non vegans) who would give up milk for that reason alone.

Good sperm

Default Re: Pus in milk?

Not to bump an old thread, but omg. I had never heard of that before.

itsjos

totally gross right?

Really untrue too unless you have very odd cows in this part of the world.

We used to have friends who owned a dairy farm when we were kids and often were present when the cows were milked and got given a glass of milk as a treat - aside from being warm and tasting completely different to pasteurised milk there were no blood clots or pus cells flitting about the milk.

It might well be that this is a product of mechanised milking, but from extensive experience in my childhood and young adulthood milk fresh from the cow was only different to the shop bought stuff in that it was creamier.

Quote Robert View Post
    Really untrue too unless you have very odd cows in this part of the world.

We used to have friends who owned a dairy farm when we were kids and often were present when the cows were milked and got given a glass of milk as a treat - aside from being warm and tasting completely different to pasteurised milk there were no blood clots or pus cells flitting about the milk.
    Robert,

It is not untrue. Milk is always the same! Please see the link below that describes a study to show that even organically produced milk contains lots of pus and bacteria.

Organic Pus

Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Would you even be able to see pus in milk anyway? I think it is of a similar colour to milk. There is bound to be pus in milk as a lot of cows suffer from mastitis due to over-milking.

itsjos

i doubt you can see it, prob cant taste it either but its there and thats so nasty...

Quote sandra View Post
    Would you even be able to see pus in milk anyway? I think it is of a similar colour to milk. There is bound to be pus in milk as a lot of cows suffer from mastitis due to over-milking.
    True! Pus can also be called "somatic cells" and Robert Cohen has written several articles about it, including this one. And true again: over-stressed cows produce more pus--hence, more blood in the milk.

(Hint: it's the count of the cells, not the appearance of the milk, that's the real deal-breaker here.)

I was going to be OK with milk products until I learned about this. Thanks for making my eating habits just that much more difficult :P Oh well.. guess it's better then sucking on pus! bleh.. gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

Now.. quick question... Does the pastuerization (or homoginized.. whatever it's called) process destroy those cells? I was curious if it took those bad boys out in the same manner it destroys bacteria. I'm sure there are still bacteria cells in ANY food you eat, but since they "kill" those germs they are inert so to speak.. Do these pus cells just become hollow cells after it is all said and done? That would be an important factor.

I'm no expert on this but I think pastuerization just kills bacteria, I would imaging the pus cells would still be there only with less bacteria. So, you would still be drinking pus.
    To be honest the whole idea of drinking another animals milk which is only meant for THAT animal's young is abhorrent to me, so really, whether there is pus/blood or God knows what else in it (we haven't even mentioned hormones and other drugs that the poor animals are given) is really irrelevant.
    p.s. I nearly forgot to mention the fact that milk is full of cholesterol which isn't very good for your arteries, so taking everything into consideration it's really best to avoid it.

pathologist

Well of course "pus" cells IS just another name for some of the white blood cells. I understand that milk does contain some of these. Of course it is only when one gets clumps of them together (hundreds of thousaands) that one actually sees "pus" - normally in body fluids such as blood they are much sparser than this - so we do not see pus as such when we look at these fluids- in our blood for example. But as Sandra says above really there are lots of other good rasons to avoid cow's milk

dont get me wrong.. I still think it's gross.. but i've just been trying to rationalize adding cheese to my diet

Quote tacp18 View Post
    Now.. quick question... Does the pastuerization (or homoginized.. whatever it's called) process destroy those cells? I was curious if it took those bad boys out in the same manner it destroys bacteria. I'm sure there are still bacteria cells in ANY food you eat, but since they "kill" those germs they are inert so to speak.. Do these pus cells just become hollow cells after it is all said and done? That would be an important factor.
    i think the important factor here is that living animals are kept in a pregnant and stressful state almost year round by hormones... and the effect of this is mastitis, sores on thier udders, wich result in the the milk they produce (mind you cows milk is to help baby calves mature... not for humans)... having abnormally high pus counts.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote tacp18 View Post
    dont get me wrong.. I still think it's gross.. but i've just been trying to rationalize adding cheese to my diet
    why??? there's no need for you to eat it.

Quote sandra View Post
    p.s. I nearly forgot to mention the fact that milk is full of cholesterol which isn't very good for your arteries, so taking everything into consideration it's really best to avoid it.
    One should be aware that even nonfat milk is a high-calorie food, however.

The milk of any mammal is a hormone-delivery system which contains powerful growth hormones a full-grown human doesn't need.

Gorilla writes:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacp18

why??? there's no need for you to eat it.

Cheese is delicious; for most people that's reason enough!

Yes, Frank that's the point I was making, I know milk in all it's forms skimmed or semi-skimmed is still full of calories and cholesterol........that's why I just said 'milk' to emcompass all it's forms!

Quote frank language View Post
    Cheese is delicious; for most people that's reason enough!
    there are many more worthwhile reasons to avoid cheese, as i'm sure we are all aware.

Surely the very fact that the poor cows have got any pus in their milk at all should sound alarm bells in anyone's mind.
    Even if pasteurization did remove the pus cells the fact remains that they were there to start off with and the reason they were there is not very nice to say the least
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Pus or no pus, I don't wish to be eating animal cells of any kind. The thought of the cows spending their whole lives hooked up to milking machines (ouch!) is enough to put me off dairy.