Thread: Subway UK?

Default Subway UK?

sorry if this has already been posted, but i seem to remember folk talking about subway sandwiches?

a new subway chain has opened just along from my shop, do they do vegan? buns? etc
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 6th, 2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: UK posts moved form the Subway thread and added to new thread started on post 9

there's one in the process of opening here as well. i'd be very surprised if they do anything vegan though.

in that case dont mind me if i just pop round tonight and collect some of your leftover lentil/casserole for my lunch at work tomorrow??

ive been eatin that wheat bread from subway for ages now, thanks for tellin me guys!!! never thought the itallian bread would be the proberly 'ONLY' and best option for vegans.

Default Re: SubWay

Does anyone know if the UK veggie patty is vegan?

I asked today but the young chap at the counter just sorta stared at me with his mouth open and then offered me a roll and lettuce lol.

hmmm...after everything i have read here, i think i am deciding not to trust subway :/

to play safe, i used to just go in, order wheat bread with loads of salad on it & no cheese. even thats not safe now, as the wheat bread has honey in it. WTF. thats weird!!

i went on the UK site, tried to find a contact, and ended up on their questions/comment form on the US site.

*sigh*

so I'm not sure, but i think the email may have been sent to their US head offices, not sure. I just asked if any of their breads were vegan. I specified though that I lived in the uk, and was refering only to their UK stores' food.

*awaits reply*

Subway, never been there. I'm guessing it is expensive, maybe I can make my own sandwich...if I find gluten free long bread things lol.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Default Subway UK?

Does anyone know if Subway in the UK do any vegan sandwiches? I need somewhere vegan friendly as my local cafe never have any vegan friendly sandwiches or even vegetarian. The closest they came was an egg mayonaise sandwich
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 6th, 2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a new thread, with UK posts from the Subway thread now added

Default Re: Subway UK?

I believe that the italian bread there is vegan, but that's the only one. I guess you could ask them to make up a mixed salad sandwich for you with no butter. Not the most interesting thing in the world, but at least it's something if you want to eat out.

If you have a Starbucks nearby, they have a rather tasty falafell and homous wrap which is even labelled as vegan. Cafe Nero have a carrot, chickpea and homous wrap which is also nice, and low fat too
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

Just found this too, explains what is and what isn't vegan at Subway - the Italian bread is indeed vegan

http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/men...itionFAQs.aspx
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

The Caffe Nero cous cous salad is very nice too.

I think we should start pressuring Subway to add something more substantial to their vegan-friendly roster - I had a salad sub bought for me once which was fine as a one off but not the most satisfying thing.

I've just sent them a comment on the feedback form suggesting they add something with a bit more protein, such as something bean or nut based.

We have a Subway in our town aswell.

When I go there (every now & again after going to a club ) I have the Italian bread, choose what veg I want in it ( usually everything but strong peppers & Olives), & make sure that they don't put any cheese in it.
    It would be good if they had Tofu though.
    “We need to be the change we wish to see in the world”
    – Mahatma Gandhi

sugarmouse

thats a good idea,I thihk i will dothat.

Quote RachelJune View Post
    Just found this too, explains what is and what isn't vegan at Subway - the Italian bread is indeed vegan

http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/men...itionFAQs.aspx

Hmm. That page is part of the USA FAQ section. Where does it say this this applied to UK products too?
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote RachelJune View Post
    If you have a Starbucks nearby, they have a rather tasty falafell and homous wrap which is even labelled as vegan.

i tried one of these but found it quite dry with nowhere near enough houmous in.

i had to use a subway on weds in an emergency..asked for a veggie delite and was quite impressed that the guy serving offered to change his gloves without being asked because he'd previously been making a sandwich with meat.

That's brilliant
    Don't hate...educate!

As someone in the thread pointed out earlier the info online seems only to relate to American subway. I emailed them a while back asking specifically about UK products and here's the response I received:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to contact SUBWAY®.

Our plain white and wheat breads are suitable for vegans, as are our veggies and the Honey Mustard sauce (please note that this sauce contains real honey).

I trust this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Ellen Johns
    European Regional HQ
    Subway International BV
    Prinsengracht 13
    Amsterdam 1015 DK
    The Netherlands

To be honest i'm not too convinced by it or sure if i trust the information given as they never specify it's for Uk subway stores and the whole honey thing makes it clear they're more then a little sketchy on their definition of vegan!just thought it might be helpful if anyone's interested though!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

Good sperm

It worries me that when I walk past a Subway it doesn't smell like any food I have ever encountered, vegan or omni.
    There's something not quite right about that.

Really? To me it always smells like fresh bread. Mmm!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    It worries me that when I walk past a Subway it doesn't smell like any food I have ever encountered, vegan or omni.
    I know what you mean. All the branches I've been near in the UK have a very distinctive smell hanging around for a few feet outside. My theory is that it's some kind of synthetic "savoury" smell that's been shown to make people feel hungry or something

You can tell by your nose when you're near a Subway, same as a branch of Lush.

Hi Ribbon

I know that the wheat bread here in Canada isn't suitable for vegans. I'm pretty sure it's because it contains honey.

I work right next door to a Subway store and I would like a dollar for everytime I hear a customer say "It smells like Subway in here" LOL I'm immune to it and don't ever smell it anymore.......some people really like the smell and liken it to baking pizza. Some people really can't stand the smell though.

Default Re: Subway UK? Meester Hemlock speaks...

Hi folks, hope you don't mind me jumping in (s'okay, I work with Gorilla off here )

Sorry to say this, but Subway is the last place I'd expect any vegan to eat at - for example their (US) attempts to shut down vegan cafes, etc.:

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/subway_vegan.htm

and this from Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser:
    "During the 1990s, Subway was involved in more legal disputes with franchisees than any other chain -- more than Burger King, KFC, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and Wendy's combined. Dean Sager, a former staff economist for the U.S. House of Representatives' Small Business Committee, has called Subway the 'worst' franchise in America. "Subway is the biggest problem in franchising," Sager told Fortune magazine in 1998, "and emerges as one of the key examples of every (franchise) abuse you can think of." (Fast Food Nation, Houghton Mifflin, January 2001, p. 100)"

That'll keep you going for now, but I would avoid them like the plague.
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Roxy View Post
    Hi Ribbon

I know that the wheat bread here in Canada isn't suitable for vegans. I'm pretty sure it's because it contains honey
    yea to be honest as i said i'm really not sure how much i trust the email reply i got from them.i might email them again and see if they can give me an ingredients list for the UK subway stuff.not that i really go there but just in case i ever do need/want to!and also i've noticed most people on VF seem to get the italian bread but they never said in that email that it's suitable for vegans at Uk stores?so i'd like some clarification!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

Default Re: Subway UK? Meester Hemlock speaks...

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Sorry to say this, but Subway is the last place I'd expect any vegan to eat at - for example their (US) attempts to shut down vegan cafes, etc.
    i'd have to agree that their ethics are probably non-existent. when i ate there in the past i felt pretty ripped off at their lack of effort regarding veg*n food. there are so many places i'd rather spend my money (although admittedly where i live it's easy to avoid large unethical chain stores).
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thumbs down Re: Subway UK?

Hi all
    Just read this discussion with interest.
    I've never been a big fan of Subway but a few years ago heard that there was a vegan option. One of my friends decided to bite the bullet and try it and found that no matter how much she insisted she didn't want any cheese or mayo, they kept asking if she wanted cheese or mayo!
    The sandwich she got was dry and tasteless. However, she persisted and went back another couple of times. She tried to vary the branches she went to but they all asked the same question - mayo or cheese?!? On her last visit, even though she went through the mayo/cheese routine she still found some cheese in her sandwich! She hasn't been back since...
    As you'd expect in a multi-national fast food operation, the staff don't seem very helpful and don't have much knowledge on what is and isn't vegan.
    I know it's often difficult to find a snack or a ready-meal but you're really taking a grave risk with your ethics if you trust your meals to non-veggie/vegan establishments. At least most veggie places understand what vegan is and are honest about what they can and can't give you (at least in my experience). Fast food outlets - don't trust 'em!
    Regards
    Phibes

Welll..true!

In my defence for my recent subway sarnie experience,it was emergency food..and though i'm painfully aware I'm trying to justify ?!?! I've learnt that my lack of being organised led to it. I'm not happy to be eating food from fast food places..I did believe subway to be the lesser of evils..

plus I'm convinced they do blow that bizarre synthetic bread/herbs smell out into the street from fans to get people to go in there and buy their sandwiches

Mahk

Here in the US, vegan restaurants are rare. In my city, Boston, the phone book "yellow pages" list a total of 1946 restaurants, only 4 of which are vegan. Although others have criticized Subway's business ethics, which I'm not defending, I would like to say that they are one of the few options I have that offer a quick, cheap, customer designed sandwich, made right in front of your own eyes (so you can catch any errors ), of various fresh vegetables on a freshly baked bread roll, baked on the premises, with full ingredient disclosure at their (US) website. They actually use the word "vegan" at their website, which is a rarity among US food/restaurant websites, so ingredients that are sometimes animal derived ("natural flavoring", sugar, mono and di-glycerides, sodium stearyl lactate, l-cysteine, lecithin etc.,all very common in bread here) have already been assessed as to their source.

True enough, Mahk (I was so surprised at the lack of labelling on the majority of products when I visited Chicago). Sometimes you have to make the best of a bad job

Greetings Mahk

"Here in the US, vegan restaurants are rare. In my city, Boston, the phone book 'yellow pages' list a total of 1946 restaurants, only 4 of which are vegan."

So you have as many as four vegan restaurants in your city, in my yellow pages I have none! The closest vegan restaurant to me is about 50 miles away but, and I recognise that I may be alone here, I would still rather make the effort and pay them a visit than eat a Sub... I suppose it comes down to trust. Because of the bad experiences of those around me who have tried going to Subway, my trust in Subway is severely lacking. When it comes to my dietary and lifestyle choice I really don't want to take any more chances than I need to. There's more than enough stress in the world without having to deal with all that!

Regards
    Phibes

yer as far as i know the white bread is vegan plus all the veggies and there is quite a few to choose from. plus if its to dry get some sauce i like the chilli. although becareful not to get the ones with honey in. Not sure about the veggie patty though, its hard to find the u.k info, i stopped getting them when i turned vegan cause i assumed they would have egg or milk in or somethin.

does anyone know if the veggie patty IS vegan?

It's not in Canada. Sorry - I know that's not much help to those of you in the U.K.

Quote Tikkin View Post
    Does anyone know if Subway in the UK do any vegan sandwiches? I need somewhere vegan friendly as my local cafe never have any vegan friendly sandwiches or even vegetarian. The closest they came was an egg mayonaise sandwich
    Pret do a hummus salad sandwich thats vegan and some branches of Boots and Sainsbury stock Fresh! sandwiches

xaaronx

Quote shez View Post
    does anyone know if the veggie patty IS vegan?
    I just emailed asking them this question, as no-one seems to know the real answer to it.

You could always ask to the see the box they come in to check the ingredients. As they just come in a plastic tub with an ingredients sticker on the top.

Someone kindly tried to get me a take away vegan salad in Subway in Hidden Hills LA. It was absolutely awful (dry, unimaginative) and had a whiff of disinfectant about it. I failed to eat it.
    I would never use one voluntarily here in the UK for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Linxie: Personally I would go hungry rather eat from Boots and McDonald's Pret. Not for me. Sainsbury's are much more complex ethically imo and I do use them, probably too much in reality. YMMV.

xaaronx

Subway replied to my email and sent me a ingredients list for the UK. Is there anyway I can post it on here?

http://www.mediafire.com/?4f9cxtlbyml

Sorry if this isn't what you meant xaaronx, i just selected the text from the pdf so everyone didn't have to download it

SUBWAY® Ingredients revised March 2007 (UK)
    Ingredient information is based on the most current information supplied by food manufacturers. Ingredients on this
    list may vary due to season, changes in formula or use of alternate food suppliers.

BREADS
    CARB-CONSCIOUS WRAP: Water, Dried Wheat Protein, Oat Fibre, Wheat Flour, Vegetable Oil, Maize
    Starch, Raising Agents (E450, E500), Salt, Wheat Fibre, Wheat Bran, Thickeners (E412), Preservatives
    (E282, E202), Malic Acid Emulsifier (E471), Sucrolose, Flour Treatment Agent (E920).

DELI STYLE ROLL Wheat Flour, Water, Vegetable Oil and Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Sugar, Salt,
    Yeast, Soya Flour, Emulsifiers: E472(e), E481, E471;Flour Treatment Agent: E300; Colours: E102, E110

HEARTY ITALIAN BREAD Subway® Italian (White) Bread and Yellow Cornmeal.

HONEY OAT BREAD Subway® Wheat Bread, Oat Flakes, Honey Powder (Honey, Maize Maltodextrin),
    Granulated Brown Sugar (Sulphites), Toasted Soy Nuts (Soyabeans, Sunflower Oil, Flavouring, Salt),
    Anti-caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide E551).

ITALIAN (WHITE) BREAD Wheat Flour, Water, Sugar, Yeast, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil and
    Vegetable Oil, Salt, Emulsifiers: E481, E472(e); Soya Flour, Thickener: E412; Flour Treatment Agent:
    E300.

WHEAT BREAD Wheat flour, Water, Sugar, Yeast, Bran, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil and Vegetable Oil,
    Salt, Emulsifiers: E481, E472(e); Soya Flour, Thickener: E412; Flour Treatment Agent: E300.

PARMESAN/OREGANO BREAD SUBWAY® Italian Bread, Cheese Powder (milk protein, lactose, colour
    (annatto E160b), rennet, sodium nitrate E251, salt), Oregano Leaves, Garlic Granules, Rosemary, Anti-
    Caking Agent (silicon-dioxide E551).

MEATS, POULTRY AND SEAFOOD
    Please note that meat and poultry products are made in a facility that processes a small number
    of nut-containing products. Several steps are in place to minimize cross contamination.

BACON SLICES Pork Belly, Salt, Smoke Flavouring, Stabilisers (E450, E451), Antioxidant (E301),
    Preservative (E250). Processed in a plant that also processes nut containing products.

BMT® MEATS: Genoa Salami: Meat (beef, pork, beef fat), Salt, Dextrose, Garlic Powder, Ground White
    Pepper, Smoke Flavouring, Red Beet Powder, Ground Black Pepper, Antioxidant (E301), Culture,
    Preservative (E250). Pepperoni: Meat (Beef, Pork, Beef Fat), Salt, Mustard Flour, Dextrose, Smoke
    Flavouring, Emulsifier (E471), Sunflower Oil, Spice Extracts, Colour (E160c) Antioxidant (E301), Culture,
    Preservative (E250). Ham: Pork Leg Meat (71&#37, Water, Salt, Dextrose, Lactose, Stabilisers (E450,
    E451, E407), Preservative (E250), Smoke Flavouring, Antioxidant (E301).

CHICKEN BREAST STRIPS Chicken Breast, Sunflower Oil, Potato Starch, Salt, Paprika.

CHICKEN STRIPS (Teriyaki glazed): Subway Chicken Breast Strips (see above), Teriyaki Glaze: Water,
    Soy Sauce, Tomato Paste, Sake, Ginger, Vinegar, Sugar, Molasses, Flavourings, Garlic, Bouillon,
    Modified Starch E1422, Sesame, Thickeners E412/E415, Spices, Salt, Paprika, Leek, Onion,
    Preservatives E202/ E222, Colours E150a/E150d, Herbs, Parsley, Garlic Oil, Acidifier E330 – may
    contain peanut oil.

HAM Pork Leg Meat (71%), Water, Salt, Dextrose, Lactose, Stabilisers (E450, E451, E407), Preservative
    (E250), Smoke Flavouring, Antioxidant (E301).

MEATBALLS Beef (60%), Beef Fat, Water, Rusk, Textured Soya, Soya Concentrate, Egg White, Salt,
    Parmesan Cheese, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Stabilisers (E450, E451), Black Pepper, Parsley.
    Marinara Sauce: Tomatoes, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Sugar, Soybean oil, Modified Food
    Starch, Salt, Dehydrated Onions, Spices, Onion Powder.

ROAST BEEF Beef, Milk Protein, Salt, Antioxidant (E325), Stabilisers (E450, E451), Onion Powder,
    Garlic Powder, Lactose, Brown Sugar, Beef Flavour (Maltodextrin, Emulsifier: Gum Arabic, Vegetable
    Oil), Colour (E150c).

STEAK Beef (90%), Water, Lactose, Salt, Stabilisers (E450, E451) Milk Protein, Malt Extract, Dextrose,
    Antioxidant (E301), Beef Flavouring, Onions, Green Pepper, Castor Sugar, Garlic Powder, Salt, Paprika,
    Caramel, Flavourings (Sage, Onion), Onion Granules, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper.

TUNA Tuna, Subway mayonnaise, water, salt.

TURKEY BREAST Turkey Breast (72%), Water, Salt, Antioxidant (E325), Dextrose, Stabilisers (E450,
    E451, E407), Colour (160b), Cocoa, Vegetable Soya Protein.

VEGGIE PATTY Water, Vegetables 31% (mushroom, paprika, maize, courgette, onion, carrot, leek,
    celery, olive), Vegetable Protein (soy, pea), Vegetable Oils and Fats (partially hydrogenated palm oil,
    rape oil, hydrogenated coconut oil), Wheat Gluten, Rice, Egg Protein, Sugar, Salt, Herbs and Spices,
    Stabilizers: E461-E407-E508, Starch (potato, wheat), Soy Sauce, Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein, Vinegar,
    Flavouring, Colouring Agent: Caramel.

CHEESE
    PROCESSED CHEDDAR CHEESE Cheese, Water, Butter, Natural Cheese Flavouring, Emulsifying Salts
    E331, E339, Whey Powder, Salt, Preservative E200, Citric Acid, Lecithin.

PROCESSED PROVOLONE CHEESE Provolone Cheese, Cheese, Water, Butter, Emulsifying Salts
    E331, E339, Salt, Permitted Preservative E200.

VEGETABLES

CUCUMBERS Fresh Ripe Cucumbers.

GREEN PEPPERS Fresh Green Bell Peppers.

JALAPEÑO PEPPER SLICES Jalapeno Peppers, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Natural Flavors, (E100),
    Calcium Chloride (E509), Sodium Metabisulfite (E223), Sodium Benzoate (preservative, E211).

PICKLES Gherkins, Water, Spirit Vinegar, Salt, Firming agent (Calcium Chloride), Preservative (Sodium
    Benzoate), Spice, Natural Flavouring, Emulsifier (Polysorbate 80).

LETTUCE Fresh Iceberg Variety.

OLIVES Sliced Black Olives, Water, Salt, Stabiliser, Ferrous Gluconate.

ONIONS Jumbo Onions.

TOMATOES Fresh Red Ripe Tomatoes,

CONDIMENTS
    CHIPOTLE SOUTHWEST Rapeseed Oil, Water, Chipotle Paste (water, rapeseed oil, chipotle powder,
    vinegar, acidifier E296), Fructose-Glucose Syrup, Spices Extracts, Salt, Egg Yolk, Sugar, Onion, Mustard,
    Modified Starch E1422, Vinegar, Antioxidant E338/E385, Thickener E412, Flavourings, Acidifiers E270/
    E330, Garlic, Preservatives E202/E211, Yeast Extract, Flavour Enhancer E635, Parsley, Colours: E160a/
    E160c. May contain milk.

HONEY MUSTARD Water, Fructose-Glucose Syrup, Mustard (6.3 %), Vinegar, Modified Starch E1422,
    Honey (3.5 %), Salt, Lemon Concentrate, Thickener E412, Colours E150d/E171, Onion, Acidifier E330,
    Preservatives E202/E211, Garlic.

SWEET ONION Water, Sugar, Malt Vinegar (barley), Wine Vinegar, Modified Cornstarch E1422, Onion
    (1.8 %), vinegar, Salt, Apple Concentrate, Poppy Seed, Spices (mustard), Rapeseed Oil, Onion
    Concentrate, Thickener E415, Preservatives E202/E211, Flavouring, Paprika, Flavour Enhancer E621,
    Antioxidant E385.

MAYONNAISE, LIGHT Water, Rapeseed Oil, Egg Yolk (egg), Modified Corn Starch, Vinegar, Glucose
    Syrup (wheat), Mustard (mustard) (contains water, mustard seed, vinegar, salt, acidifier E330,
    preservative E224), Salt, Preservative E202, Thickener E415, Flavour, Antioxidant E385

RANCH DRESSING Water, Rapeseed Oil, Spirit Vinegar, Buttermilk, Salt, Egg yolk, Onions, Lemon
    Juice, Modified Starch, Whey Product, Spices, Thickening Agents E 412, E 415, Herbs, Acidity Agents E
    270, E 330, Natural Flavours, Preservatives E 202, E 211, Artificial Sweetener Saccharine E 954.

COOKIES
    CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE Wheat Flour, Chocolate Chips 23% (Sugar, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa
    Butter, Stabilizer – E322, Vanilla), Sugar, Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Salt, Stabilizers – E471, E322,
    Natural Flavouring, Acid – E330, Colour – E160e, Vitamin A Palmitate), Eggs, Palm Oil, Butter, Molasses,
    Raising Agent E500, Salt, Flavouring. (Due to the nature of how these cookies are displayed they may
    come in contact with other nut-containing cookies.)

CHOCOLATE CHUNK Wheat Flour, Sugar, Chocolate Chunks 16% (Sugar, Unsweetened Chocolate,
    Cocoa Butter, Stabilizer – E322, Vanilla), Palm Oil, Eggs, Invert Sugar, Molasses, Water, Whey Powder,
    Raising Agent – E500, Salt, Flavouring. (Due to the nature of how these cookies are displayed they may
    come in contact with other nut-containing cookies.)

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE Ingredients: Sugar, Wheat Flour, Margarine (Palm Oil, Water,
    Salt, Stabilizers – E471, E322, Natural Flavouring, Acid – E330, Colour – E160e, Vitamin A Palmitate),
    White Chips 12% (Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Palm Kernel and Palm Oils, Milk Powder, Stabilizer –
    E322, Flavouring), Chocolate Chips 7% (Sugar, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Stabilizer – E322,
    Vanilla), Eggs, Cocoa processed with alkali (3.4%), Butter, Molasses, Flavouring, Raising Agent – E500,
    Salt. (Due to the nature of how these cookies are displayed they may come in contact with other nutcontaining
    cookies.)

CHOCOLATE CHIP WITH RAINBOW CANDIES Wheat Flour, Sugar, Palm Oil, Chocolate Chips 9%
    (Sugar, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Stabilizer – E322, Vanilla), Rainbow Candies 9% (Sugar,
    Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Stabilizer – E322, Vanilla, Colours – E102, E110, E129, E132,
    E133, Arabic Gum), Eggs, Water, Molasses, Whey Powder, Raising Agent – E500, Salt, Flavouring. Due
    to the nature of how these cookies are displayed they may come in contact with other nut-containing
    cookies.)

OATMEAL RAISIN Wheat Flour, Sugar, Raisins, Palm Oil, Oats 13%, Eggs, Water, Molasses, Salt,
    Whey Powder, Raising Agent – E500, Cinnamon. (Due to the nature of how these cookies are displayed
    they may come in contact with other nut-containing cookies.)
    SUGAR Wheat Flour, Sugar, Palm Oil, Eggs, Natural Flavouring, Whey Powder, Raising Agent – E500,
    Salt. (Due to the nature of how these cookies are displayed they may come in contact with other nutcontaining
    cookies.)

WHITE CHIP MACADAMIA NUT Wheat Flour, Sugar, White Chips 14% (Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated
    Palm Kernel and Palm Oils, Milk Powder, Stabilizer – E322, Flavouring), Margarine (Palm Oil, Water,
    Salt, Stabilizers – E471, E322, Natural Flavouring, Acid – E330, Colour – E160e, Vitamin A Palmitate),
    Macadamia Nuts 7%, Eggs, Butter, Molasses, Flavouring, Raising Agent – E500, Salt.

Mahk

Is this "E number" system for additives the norm for foods you buy in stores as well? In the US they spell out the names of additives. For anyone who might (like me) need a translation guide, I found one here.

I see the veggie patty has egg protein in it, so I guess you don't even need to know the "e numbers" for that one! The breads are different from our breads here. Our US Subway wheat bread contains honey (rather common here), I see yours doesn't.

Eww, they put hydrogenated oil in the bread, and they try to market themselves as healthy too .

I've never eaten in Subway before as it has never appealed to me but I was surprised when I saw them trying to market themselves as healthy as nothing in there looks healthy to me. Even the bread looks so processed! A bit like McDonalds trying to appeal to the healthy market, which is laughable!

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    I really don't like the smell of Subway and wouldn't go in there if everything was vegan. It actually makes me feel slightly nauseous when I walk past one.

They do a salad sarnie and I'm sure the sweet onion dressing is vegan too.

I never bother with Subway. Would much rather get a peanut butter and banana sarnie from my local deli. Cheaper and much much nicer.

you're fortunate i think, burn black, that your local deli will make you a peanut butter and banana buttie..i have been stuck before..when i've been disorganised the night before to make something and let myself rely on subway for a salady sarnie with that onion stuff on..i've had one recently and it was alright.. and another time and the salady stuff wasn't crisp and cold so it was not alright

they do sell just salad plates but i'm highly cynical of all places that sell salads to go cos frankly i can do loads better and resent having to pay out a couple of quid for 3lbs of domestos washed lettuce or whatever and 63 jalapenos

other delis around and about sell just meat/cheese/egg based sandwiches..variations on those etc etc...and possibly breed more resent and distaste in me.

"Grrr"
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I used to eat in subway quite often as a vegetarian just because it was convienent and I told myself it was healthy lol. Now I know better I steer well clear. But it is true that 99.9% of places where I live don't do any vegan sandwichs or wraps to go. Just recently one shop starting selling hummus, lettuce and falafel wraps...yummy but just how much can you eat without getting bored? My ideal job would be to run a vegan sandwich shop and market it as healthy eating to appeal to the wider market!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

cobweb

I refuse to buy sandwiches when I'm out - what a rip-off and you just don't know where they've come from or been . If I am stuck without something I will just buy some fruit or a bag of plain crisps (the crisps are not great but at least they're cheap shit! ).

Quote emmapresley View Post
    you're fortunate i think, burn black, that your local deli will make you a peanut butter and banana buttie..i have been stuck before..when i've been disorganised the night before to make something and let myself rely on subway for a salady sarnie with that onion stuff on..i've had one recently and it was alright.. and another time and the salady stuff wasn't crisp and cold so it was not alright

they do sell just salad plates but i'm highly cynical of all places that sell salads to go cos frankly i can do loads better and resent having to pay out a couple of quid for 3lbs of domestos washed lettuce or whatever and 63 jalapenos

other delis around and about sell just meat/cheese/egg based sandwiches..variations on those etc etc...and possibly breed more resent and distaste in me.

"Grrr"
    Yeah I love my local deli. The woman who owns it is lovely!

I wont eat in Subway, not because of non-vegan bread or anything [although this would obviously stop me!] but because of the fact they touch everything with their hands. I watched them making sandwhiches before, and the lady before me was having something like a BLT, so the hand went into the bacon, into the lettuce, into the tomato. I wanted lettuce and tomato but they were just contaminated with the bacon - so I had no choice but to leave. Shame really! I might email Subway to ask them to use tongs.