Thread: Patricia Caswell and Phillip Toyne

Why do I get this feeling that I'm talking to myself?
    Actually I heard an interesting discussion today on Austr abc radio-national. It was an interview with two people who had been very active in the environment movement here; Patricia Caswell and Phillip Toyne. Toyne is now a board member of Integrated Tree Cropping Hardwood Plantations, and Caswell is now on board with the Victorian Assn of Forest Industries. In other words, they jumped ship and joined the opposition.

In a way it can be good, if they are able to steer their respective companies away from the destruction of old growth forests. Both those organisations use native forestry though they say it is not the same as old growth. They suggest it is necessary to distinguish between utilising re-growth forests for the timber industry, or using imported rainforest timber, generally illegally logged. The point they make is that everyone around the world uses timber for housing etc, and we all use paper, and do we really want pine plantations everywhere?

The interviewer, Terry Lane, was obviously disappointed that hitherto enviros now support logging. He said it's like someone against the tobacco industry joining Philip Morris.
    Eve

PinkFluffyCloud

Eve, I always read your posts - the chatty ones and the serious!!
    You are not alone! What more can I add, though??

Thanks PFC.
    Eve