Thread: Global warming 'past the point of no return

Default Global warming 'past the point of no return

Unfortunately the damage we've already done through Global Warming is seen to be irreversible and has already set in stone a change to the next fifty years of the planets life. What we do NOW, effects how the planet will change after that fifty years, and at the moment...it seems it is only going to get worse.

Kevster

Default Re: Environmental concerns

There's nothing new about this, but still made the front page of The Independent, and the front page of The Sun/Daily Mail/Express, just kidding....

'Global warming 'past the point of no return'
    By Steve Connor, Science Editor
    Published: 16 September 2005

A record loss of sea ice in the Arctic this summer has convinced scientists that the northern hemisphere may have crossed a critical threshold beyond which the climate may never recover. Scientists fear that the Arctic has now entered an irreversible phase of warming which will accelerate the loss of the polar sea ice that has helped to keep the climate stable for thousands of years.

They believe global warming is melting Arctic ice so rapidly that the region is beginning to absorb more heat from the sun, causing the ice to melt still further and so reinforcing a vicious cycle of melting and heating.'

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...icle312997.ece

I actually find this quite scary.

me too Its hard to sleep at night thinking about those things.
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

Kevster

I actually thought twice about posting it. But then thought what the hell, it's a bad situation but we'll have to see what happens, i personally think things are going to get a little wild in the not too distant future and then the world will move toward some sort of balance.

Harsh realities are always frightening when hope is not given (it's the reason I usually can't watch the news). The WorldWatch Institute tracks environmental and social issues worldwide, and also suggests solutions. I have some of their publications but find their website to be filled with lots of information for individuals, as well.

I feel the same about evironmentalism as veganism - each action I perform makes a difference, however small. And these small differences will add up if more of us do them. We need to educate ourselves first so that we may educate others and urge our leaders to change policies that hurt the environment.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I'm in the 'it's too late' camp. IMHO politics and economics just can't change fast enough now, I'm afraid .

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst...
    We are saved in the end by the things that ignore us. Andrew Harvey

Thank you for that useful website Dianecrna. I feel the same way as you about the environment. Water is a very big issue here in Australia as the situation has become quite disastrous. You say that every little helps and makes a difference and that is so true. Now in South Australia there is some new ruling that all new houses being built and into the future have to install a rainwater tank. That is something, and I wish there were a rainwater tank where I live, as town water is not the best. But the big thing, just linking with veganism, is questioning why scientists don't explain the results of the horrible run-offs from factory farming and intensive chicken farming, that putrefy our waterways.
    Eve

Quote eve
    But the big thing, just linking with veganism, is questioning why scientists don't explain the results of the horrible run-offs from factory farming and intensive chicken farming, that putrefy our waterways.
    I think it all comes down to money. I am not sure if you have large lobbying groups who influence politicians in Australia. Lobbyists sway many politicians here (then the politicians work for lobbyists when they leave politics - futher influencing their old friends in politics). There are also sponsors for television, magazines and newspapers to think about - can't report on anything the poultry/beef/dairy industry might find offensive.

Gloria Steinem wrote an expose back in 1990 about advertisers. It was (in part) to explain why Ms. Magazine had turned glossy and was now going advertisement-free. I guess we've learned nothing since then. If you haven't read it (I think it's titled "Sex, Lies and Advertising") then you would enjoy it. I can't pick up a magazine anymore without making the advertising connections to the content. I'll try to find a link and then edit this post.

Here is the essay. It's a bit long but worth the read.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein