Thread: Unable to sleep

Default Insomnia

Does anyone suffer from insomnia? Has anyone managed to relieve it? If so, how (medication/remedies?)??? If I sleep well one night, I will sleep terribly - well I pretty much won't sleep at all for two or three nights. I hate it!

Default Re: Insomnia

I sure do as of lately! The past month, I keep on waking up every hour or so...it is very weird. I am going to an accupuncturist tomorrow...supposedly it is supposed to help with that- we'll see. I'll let you know. Also, melatonin (you can buy at a drugstore or grocery store) is a naturally produced sleep hormone that is supposed to aid in a restful night of sleep. It works wonders for my mom but doesn't do much for me. To each their own, I suppose. Sorry I couldn't help any more than that...lol

I've had insomnia for years, tending to wake up on the hour every hour; sometimes I get up and watch a video for a couple of hours. I've tried various remedies, but none helped.
    Eve

I have had insomonia for years on and off. I have taken drugs for it in the past. A drug in the US called Ambien (zolpidem), which is a benzodiazepam sleeping pill. It worked well for me.

Other things that help are -

1) Excercising, but not close to bedtime
    2) Yoga
    3) getting up/going to sleep at the same times everyday - not napping or sleeping late if you didn't get to sleep
    4) getting some sunshine outside every morning to help "re-set" your inner clock
    5) a bath before bed
    6) hot cup of tea at bedtime
    7) aromatherapy - lavender works well for relaxation
    8) meditation before bed
    9) laying in bed, relaxing each muscle one by one. clearing your mind and trying not to think "in words" Visualize a picture of something, I use a candle flame. (this is basically meditation, but in bed)
    10) Sex!

tails4wagging

My mum used to suffer from that at times and she used to get up, sit and watch telly for a short time with a hot drink and start again by going to bed. It worked for her.

Hi Banana,
    Welcome to the miserable world of insomnia. I've had problems with it for years. Actually since I became vegan it's been much better. I've used over the counter diphenhydramine, benadryl is a brand name for this. It works and it can break the cycle of insomnia. Of course you don't want your body to start relying on it. It will definitely help you sleep though.

I also try to just not think about anything too stressful an hour or 2 before bed. I just try to block it out, but mediation would work too. The relaxation technique that wildflower mentioned works too.

Herbal things like chammomile tea work. Make a really really strong cup of it though. Also if wildflower mentioned lavendar, and that's good. I use lavendar linen spray. I spray it on my pillows.

I also use a sleep machine. It makes various white noises. I have to have that on every night.
    I wish I could be of more help. It so bad when you can't sleep it just throws off everything.

ConsciousCuisine

I agree with all of the afore-mentioned natural remedies and add that a 'Brainwave' Cd, played at bedtime and throughout the night is *amazingly* effective at alleviating insomnia. 'Steven Halpern' and 'Dr. Jeffry Thompson' make some of the best sleep CD's.

i recently started having this problem again. i wake up to go to the washroom and just cant get back to sleep because my mind wont stop thinking. the naturopathic doctor i recently went to recommended calcium, since i now have to take two calcium supplements at dinner time and one before bed, she said it naturally relaxes you which i totally forgot about. i used to give it to my mom all the time when she was sick and couldnt sleep and it really helped. its been putting me to sleep everynight since ive started taking it, but it doesnt do good at KEEPING me asleep. so ill post what she says to do next time i see her!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

ConsciousCuisine

Sounds like all good sound guidance!

(Now, I *know* I remember that I told you (and others on here) to take calcium/magnesium/zinc to help relax, go to sleep and relieve muscle cramps/spasms and for maximum absorbtion )

really?! i dont remember! lol how silly of me! i wish i had taken that advice sooner!

Cryospark

valerian forte well good sleeping
    My longest time awake so far is 11 days
    caffeine alchohol anything detrimental to your health effects your sleep, no food before bed a lil water and i would suggest a light excercise before bed myself like pilates nothing advanced, this will also help if ya wanna lose weight body will metabolise better while you sleep.
    Wildflower could you help me out with number 10?
    all her relaxing things are also good
    just make sure your tea hasnt caffeine perhaps warm water would be better or warm soy milk

valerian doesnt work THAT well for me. it does relax me but doesnt put me to sleep!

sex also doesnt work for me. it just gives me loads of energy! LOL.

Cryospark

Quote foxytina_69
    valerian doesnt work THAT well for me. it does relax me but doesnt put me to sleep!

sex also doesnt work for me. it just gives me loads of energy! LOL.
    valerian is simply to aid sleep through relaxation

maybe your not working hard enough or lasting long enough Maybe the partners to blame

i dont think so lol... the partner lasts a very long time and its always a couple of hours of fun! lol!

I am allergic to chamomile tea, so I will not be using that remedy

why are u allergic to chamomile tea banana?

My throat starts to tighten and I get hives

Quote Cryospark
    Wildflower could you help me out with number 10?

Haha, it will be a bit of a plane ride so that in itself will make us sleep!

I know this doesn't answer anything but I still thought I'd share:

I did a quick research and it seems that veganism aleviates insomnia...

Further searching, I also found information on how vitamin B (all of them not only B12) deficiency also would cause insomnia... among other very nasty things...so I might try to get more of the B

I had never experienced any sleep problems until when I became vegan 3-4 weeks ago.

I actually barely slept the first night. It got better after a few days.
    Lately though, I fall asleep (not as easily as before) but then wake up at 4am..(when I want to get up at 7-8) or at 7am (when I want to get up at 10am)...

I toss and turn a lot during the night too... I remain in bed tho and try not to open my eyes. The ironic thing is, by the time I actually want to get up, it's really hard to do.

Cryospark

maybe your allergic to something your eating now?
    maybe your brain doesn't want as much sleep as before, your much healthier might not be required as much?
    On the other hand you could be missing out on certain vitamins and iron like you said dunno how you wouldn't maybe youv'e done something that stripped you of them, maybe took something poisonous got too much radiation from something, like mobile phone who knows. When you ate meat you would of been less energetic now you have lots of energy. So many possibilities, now ya gotsta eliminate them ;p
    I know i have energy all day and night long, I could prolly go without sleep for some time now like when i was younger ;p

Anyway I'll find you a remedy instead of quoting from memory
    Could you describe the problem with as much detail as possible? Even things like the way you wake up.
    That goes for everyone.
    Some remedies are only useful in mild cases like valerian that's why it won't work.
    herbal sleep aids are passion flower, skullcap, valerian, chamomile, lavender.

homeopathic treatment entails the use of potentialised poisons which would normally induce insomnia in a healthy patient, but relieves the condition from the opposite.
    You could always relax your body all the way like previously suggested you should go to sleep in this state, if not you can't be doing it right whether you stay asleep is another thing but it should maintain your relaxed state for longer.
    Alot of insomnia is simply caused by your own mental state, stressing to much being far too anxious. Other causes are the common everday pollutions out everywhere which can also add to the stress if not create it

my bf's been having quite a go at insomnia lately. its really starting to become a problem. hes tried melatonin, hes tried all sleeping aids, hes tried teas, hes tried no beverages/food few hours before bedtime, he gets lots of exercise during the day due to his construction job, aswell as fresh air and sunshine since hes outside all day, hes tried everything, and nothing is working. anyone have any ideas?

oh and he also gets all his b vitamins and eats very healthy aswell. he doesnt drink enough water though. anyone know if that causes insomnia?

Some people find that eating a meal that is high in carbohydrates, such as a pasta-based one, in the evening, helps them get to sleep. Camomile tea before bed works for me too. Some other ideas here: http://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/insom.html

Not sure if not drinking enough water is a cause of insomnia but if you're thirsty it seems likely to wake you up in the night. Is the problem with getting to sleep or staying asleep?

he often does wake up in the middle of the night to drink things.

his problem is staying asleep.

thanks for the link harpy

Magnesium or iron deficiency can also cause insomnia
    Passion flower is calming and sleep inducing.
    Valerian is also relaxing and sleep inducing.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

cross barer

I've got insomnia right now!

I often have trouble sleeping but this hasbeen going on since late october. I am away from home too so it doesn't help being at somebody elses place awake all night and asleep during the day.

I heard a while back that the time you are born affects your sleep habits, such as people born early in the morning are early risers. I was born just before 2am so it made sense to me, I am highly functional after midnight and do much of my best creative work throughout the night.

However when I want to be asleep, I hate being awake, like now. It's 3am

Foxy, it sounds as if he would do well to try drinking plenty of water (or other non-diuretic liquids, i.e. not tea, coffee or alcohol) during the day. Water shortly before bed has obvious disadvantages...However I always have water by my bed, then if I wake up thirsty I can take a quick swig and go straight back to sleep.

ETA Adam, maybe if you stay awake for the rest of tonight and all day tomorrow, you'll be able to sleep tomorrow night? Or doesn't it work that way for you?

cross barer

Quote harpy
    Adam, maybe if you stay awake for the rest of tonight and all day tomorrow, you'll be able to sleep tomorrow night? Or doesn't it work that way for you?
    I have done that several times recently, I just sleep too long and take another 24-36 hours to get to sleep again.

cross barer

With the exception of christian members, I think I have offended more VF members whilst being under the influence of insomnia than at times of complete cognitive functioning. I may have just done so again

It's difficult to function normally if you're sleep-deprived isn't it?

I think my sleep patterns would be nothing like normal if I just slept when I felt like it. However, I get kicked out of bed at a normal-ish time (by other half and cats) and that helps me stick to a regular-ish pattern.

Maybe you could ask someone to wake you up in the morning and then try and get up regardless of how much you've slept?

I too, struggle with insomnia.

Exercise helps, a quiet, warm room helps, melatonin helps, but nothing is 100 percent effective.

Sometimes, playing games with my brain to help me relax is helpful. Last night, for example, I took a tour through the first house that I ever lived in and went from room to room and tried to remember each piece of furniture, the carpet, the color of the walls...I know I'm beginning to relax when my memories become more detailed.

I can't get a decent sleep either, and sometimes get up and watch a video, or get on to the net, until I'm exhausted, but then sleep doesn't ever last more than half to one hour. I only rest when I'm swimming every morning early; it is so peaceful.
    Eve

mango woman

insomnia sucks. Last night i was laying in bed until about 3 am. I went to bed at 11:30. I'm not sure what the deal is, but three hours of sleep makes it hard to get up at six am the next day.

Blueshark

Ok. I can't sleep. I am WIDE awake and it is very hot in my room, and very nosiy outside.

Solutions pls.

bry

how about opening your bedroom door,and open a window in a diffrent room away from the noise if possible,how about reading. hope you sleep soon

Blueshark

Lol, actually I just closed my window, and now it is really quiet. I can be damn fool at times lol.

Limey

I used to have insomnia issues. Quite bad. It sucked so much. I didn't do anything but just let sleep happen when it did. I didn't want to take pills (even back when I was omni). No natural remedies worked for me, either. I've always had horrible sleeping patterns. I think my mom said I didn't sleep through the night until I turned 7.
    I wish I had some great answer for people with this issue. Some have said that lying in bed and relaxing your body from the toes up seems to work, but not for me. I get OCD with it and have to continuously start over.

Regular exercise should help, though, if it's not something you do already. Just don't do the exercise close to bedtime.
    Also, keep the same sleeping schedule every day. Go to bed at the same time every night, whether you are sleepy or not, and get up at the same time everyday, even weekends.

There is a load of advice on the net about it. Also some good advice in this thread as far as I can see.
    Here are a few suggestions extra:
    Cut out caffiene, including black teas, except for at least 8 hours before you plan on sleeping;
    stop smoking cigarettes completely;
    take some outdoor exercise during the day;
    be aware that being hungry or having low blood sugar will keep any insomniac awake, and act accordingly;
    avoid mental stimulation in the evening (such as being on the internet), either meditate or read a not very exciting book before bedtime instead;
    be aware that emotional turmoil almost always keeps insomniacs awake so try to deal with that during the day;
    keep work or worry related materials out of the bedroom;
    keep regular hours: go to bed at a regular time and set an alarm clock for a regular time, and be strict about it.
    These suggestions may sound hard but if insomnia is to be dealt with it takes some hard rules.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I struggle to sleep. I have tried natural remedies, different foods, tea, exercise, and meditation. None of it really worked. Then I went to Malaysia on vacation for 2 weeks. My friend planned the whole trip and all I had to do was enjoy myself. I slept like a baby. I went to bed at 11pm and woke up at sunrise everyday completely rested. I had a similar experience at an all-inclusive vacation at a Jamaican resort. I realized that my sleeping pattern is very sensitive to my stress levels. It takes some time, usually a few days, for stress hormones to balance out. But after they do, I'm in heaven and sleep is awesome. Unfortunately, this usually only occurs on a relaxing planned vacation. My stressful job and my Type-A personality sort of makes it difficult to get into that good sleep mode, but I have learned a few tricks to make sleep easier.
    1. Don't be near anything that gives off EMF's before or during sleep (TV, computer, alarm clocks, night lights). I am very sensitive to EMF's and can sense their presence even in alarm clocks when I try to sleep. They definitely effect my sleep.
    2. Use good feng shui in the bedroom. This is someting else I am sensitive too that effects my sleep. I'm not one of these "new age" freaks but I can feel this kind of energy the same way you can sense someone staring and pointing at you. It's annoying.
    3. For me, stretching and a few yoga postures relaxes me, especially shoulder stand. That's an awesomly powerful pose for reducing tension.
    Aside from that, the usual don't eat, exercise, or study before bed. They all cause stress. Hope this helps. Gotta go to sleep now
    "Hey everybody, I made some Gazpacho"- Lisa Simpson
    "
    Go back to Russia"- Barney Gumble:D

i have the stupidly named S.A.D (seasonal affective disorder), due to the fact that i live above the arctic circle and there is no daytime in winter and no nighttime in summer (now). the only times i can go to sleep during the night is in autumn and spring time, but both of them only lasts 1 or 2 months, so when i am adjusted i get the same bad sleeping patterns all over again.
    but ive found the solution; im moving to spain
    det e bedre at den e dyr - enn at den e døde dyr

Default Unable to sleep

For the past week I have been unable to get to sleep when I first go to bed. I've tried writing notes, not doing anything on my bed, and drinking soy milk before hand. My classes start Wednesday and I'm concerned about being awake enough for them.
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 8th, 2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Unable to sleep

Hi, I don't think drinking soy milk would help. If it's late and I don't think am tired, and do something that requires that I'm awake and alert, like reading something that needs concentration, I notice my tiredness, which is useful if I want to sleep...

I'll merging going to merge your thread with another thread called Insomnia now, maybe there's something useful info for you there?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Unable to sleep

I wouldn't worry about it too much, Mandy. You can always lie there and have a rest even if you can't actually get to sleep. Actually if I can't get to sleep I sometimes think to myself "oh well, I'll just have a rest then" and the next thing I know it's morning! Once you stop worrying about not sleeping it's easier to sleep.

Edited to add: while you're lying there you could try some relaxation exercises, like the ones here: http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw53524.asp

Another thing that sometimes works for me is thinking "if I can't get to sleep I may as well get up and clean the house". I then drop off as the alternative is too horrible to contemplate